Excited about Lance Armstrong!

Options

Replies

• BamsieEkhaya
    BamsieEkhaya Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    what he did was awful - because he let down those who admire him...but lets face facts

a. his human - his allowed to and will make mistakes
    b. his charity does a LOT of good...and for me that charity work far out weighs what he chose to do with HIS body
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    Armstrong has used lawsuits and threats and has ruined people financially for speaking the truth against him.

who could cheer for a guy like that?

using PEDs isnt why most people hate him.

Word!

Except the point of this thread has ZERO to do with *why*, or even *if*, people hate Lance Armstrong. Please, if you want to comment on him as a person, start a thread on it! I suspect the general consensus is correct, that he truly is a dbag of epic proportions.

However, this thread is about *what* he did and *how* he did it. A relatively old guy did things that allowed him to beat younger guys (many of whom were also doing similar things). Part of this is likely because of the things he took, part is because of the training he did, and part is because of who he is. The focus here is on the things he took (and, I think, the things he did, but I'm being lazy and not actually clicking back to OP).

Take a moment and forget all that you know/have heard about him as a person and instead consider what he was able to do. I think it's worth considering.
    He was able to win seven titles by cheating.
    Forgive me for being unimpressed.
    The REAL champ in those races are the guys who placed, 5th, 12th or 25th without cheating.

You really just don't get it do you? We get that you're unimpressed. Its just that all those guys at 5th, 12th or 25th were also juicing, just probably not with whatever magic combination LA's doctors found. Go look it up. That's why a few of us are curious about the old dude that kept winning.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    what he did was awful - because he let down those who admire him...but lets face facts

a. his human - his allowed to and will make mistakes
    b. his charity does a LOT of good...and for me that charity work far out weighs what he chose to do with HIS body

Well .. except for the fact that a lot of donations to his charity are now considered to have been obtained fraudulently - so what he did with his body could conceivably set the charity back hard. He does not operate in a vacuum

and .. 10? 15? years of dpoing .. not a mistake. it's a lifestyle.
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    Armstrong has used lawsuits and threats and has ruined people financially for speaking the truth against him.

Word!

Except the point of this thread has ZERO to do with *why*, or even *if*, people hate Lance Armstrong. Please, if you want to comment on him as a person, start a thread on it! I suspect the general consensus is correct, that he truly is a dbag of epic proportions.

However, this thread is about *what* he did and *how* he did it. A relatively old guy did things that allowed him to beat younger guys (many of whom were also doing similar things). Part of this is likely because of the things he took, part is because of the training he did, and part is because of who he is. The focus here is on the things he took (and, I think, the things he did, but I'm being lazy and not actually clicking back to OP).

Take a moment and forget all that you know/have heard about him as a person and instead consider what he was able to do. I think it's worth considering.
    The REAL champ in those races are the guys who placed, 5th, 12th or 25th without cheating.

You really just don't get it do you? We get that you're unimpressed. Its just that all those guys at 5th, 12th or 25th were also juicing, just probably not with whatever magic combination LA's doctors found. Go look it up. That's why a few of us are curious about the old dude that kept winning.
    And thats fine that people would like to know what that amazing formula was that he was taking.
    I am sure it will be on the web by the weekend.
    Now, you are saying that all of those other guys were also jucing.
    Unfortunitally, most of the facts say that you are incorrect. You are making assumptions which are unverifiable.
    There are several other racers who also got busted doping and they got punished.
    There are also a number of racers who did NOT dope at all.
    They have been tested and they have the reputation of being clean by both friends and the competition alike.

Sure, many people are more then willing to take all kinds of enhancements in order to gain "an edge" and I don't judge them one bit.
    However; when that substance is banned by whatever sport they are competing in, then they are cheating plain and simple.
    Even if "everyone else" is doing it, it is still cheating.
    Lance Armstrong, for all of the good he has ever done, will now and forever be known as the guy who cheated.
  • sunsnstatheart
    Options

Word!

And thats fine that people would like to know what that amazing formula was that he was taking.
    Unfortunitally, most of the facts say that you are incorrect. You are making assumptions which are unverifiable.
    There are several other racers who also got busted doping and they got punished.
    They have been tested and they have the reputation of being clean by both friends and the competition alike.

Sure, many people are more then willing to take all kinds of enhancements in order to gain "an edge" and I don't judge them one bit.
    However; when that substance is banned by whatever sport they are competing in, then they are cheating plain and simple.
    Lance Armstrong, for all of the good he has ever done, will now and forever be known as the guy who cheated.

Do you even watch cycling?
  • sz8soon
    sz8soon Posts: 816 Member
    Options

My simple logic of this.

His bike crossed the finish line first- he won. Had his bike been enhanced that took away the physical effort required to make it move, or it be discovered he shorted a course and skipped distance then I would consider him a cheater. To me his body did the work- so he "enhanced" it to make it work better, I don't care.

If the sport has rules that state PED's are not allowed it should be a test em' all policy, Otherwise hypocrisy rules the roost.
    Good point, although I realize it wasn't the point you intended to make.

If they had determined that he won by cheating by modifying his bike, and if I was interested in making my bike faster, I would want to know more about what he did. Sure, I may decide not to do it because it's unsafe, or perhaps it's too expensive, but I'd still like to know so I can decide for myself. It really doesn't matter whether or not he is a dbag for purposes of *this* discussion. Just because it's against the rules doesn't invalidate that there may be beneficial applications.

Thanks for extending and clearing up my point and redirecting to the original discussion.

edited because I screwed up the quote brackets
  • digitalbill
    Options

Word!

No I don't but, I do know who Lance Armstrong is. You don't need to be a race bike fan to know that.
    Is there a point to your question?
    Does the fact that I am not a bicycle fan make my opinions of a cheater somehow less valid?
  • motown13
    motown13 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm totally sorry I want the stuff that makes me a world class athlete at 40+ years old. What the hell was I thinking ?

That you want to get cancer, or liver damage, and die early? That's what I'm guessing. Or possibly go on a roid rage, piss off the wrong person, get killed? Cuz I know someone like that... he didn't die, but he got beat so badly he probably wished he had died... lost an eye, had an ear ripped off..... roid rage is awesome, eh?
  • jono2970
    Options
    There are too many who say 'oh he did this or that'..for me, his biggest achievement was beating cancer. So many die of this awful disease that I would like to know what treatment he had for this. I don't know if he is smug, a liar, or whatever...many will have a view on that and that is fine. He still has to live his life, and there are a lot more worse people out there than him.
  • sunsnstatheart
    Options

Word!

No I don't but, I do know who Lance Armstrong is. You don't need to be a race bike fan to know that.
    Does the fact that I am not a bicycle fan make my opinions of a cheater somehow less valid?

Yes. Your opinions of racing are absolutely irrelevant and your statement that I'm making claims that are unverifiable are incorrect. You may want to go look at the stats on cheating at the TdF. Its pretty bad to put it mildly. Yes, there are a few who have not tested positive, but you should know that LA wasn't caught until a full court press was put on him, and then only after several rounds and many years of that by multiple agencies. At some point the cheating becomes so bad and the enforcement so lax and after the fact, that one either plays the game and cheats, or just throws in the towel. I doubt you agree because you seem to live in a black and white world, but I think many of us see shades of grey.

Of course, LA's morality and the rest of this is still a complete side bar to the actual discussion that several of us were attempting to have here before people like yourself with moral chips on your shoulders side tracked it.

Frankly, I'm done communicating with you because you have nothing to add and have demonstrated a complete ignorance of the subject at hand. I always enjoy debate with the informed and logical but its never productive with the ignorant who refuse to educate themselves on the subject matter.
  • WhoTheHellIsBen
    WhoTheHellIsBen Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Many of you have said it: the doping isn't even the issue - it's the years of lying.

From a performance point of view, they were all doping --- thus, it WAS an even playing field and for that, his athletic accomplishments stand on their own, as far as I'm concerned.

From a personality standpoint, he's nothing unusual. The fact that he's arrogant, self-centered & selfish isn't suprising - most people performing at that level (sports, surgery, concert piano) tend towards those characteristics.

From a human perspective, tho, he's a turd. The fact that he lied for so long and so convincingly and in the face of so much evidence to the contrary - that is the disheartening thing for me. I don't fault LiveStrong --- they are trying to do good work. I hope people don't pull their support for the origanization just because the founder is an *kitten*. I feel badly for his family and supporters - to have been duped for so long (I include myself here).

My only real questions for Mr. Armstrong are: Did you get what you wanted from all this? Was it worth it?

And then I'd like to kick him in his remaining ball...

BUT - back to the original post: I'd love to know WHAT he was using and HOW. His physical abilities are superhuman - if I could enhance my performance without risking my overall health, why wouldn't I? No one is testing MY blood for PEDs and I'm not in competition with anyone but the Grim Reaper. I'll cheat him every way I can...

Holy crap!!! Reasoning, logic, and understanding! I like you!
  • WhoTheHellIsBen
    Options

You just listed off a bunch of suckers that should have gotten day jobs and spent that time with their families instead of training futilely for a race they never had a chance in. Everybody in that sport dopes. If you're not doping, that's great. Just go do something productive with your time if you're not willing to do what it takes to compete.

I'm not pro-drugs. I'm not anti-drugs. I'm pro reality. Cycling (and many other sports) without doping is a fairy tale.
    My brother in law is a competitive road racer and he doesn't dope.
    He is also a moron but, that's beside the point.
    It appears that you are suggesting that unless you are willing to be a cheater, don't even play the game.

At what point did we decide that it was OK to cheat as long we we win?

This actually got a chuckle out of me.

Regarding your other post. Yes I am running out of things to say because I can only rephrase the same thing so many times. I don't care about his personality, don't care about the TdF, I care about how an old man who made it through cancer, lost a ball, battled age and STILL competed at such an insane level. Yes, if the pros outweigh the con's I would not rule out getting on board with what he does. That being said, HgH is very easy to get and the pro's out weight the con's as well as many variants of injectable peptides yet I take none of them.
    But we can play this game until you get bored, you can all keep saying hes a liar and a cheater, I'll keep saying, I don't care, that's not what I'm interested in
  • BSchoberg
    BSchoberg Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Many of you have said it: the doping isn't even the issue - it's the years of lying.

From a performance point of view, they were all doping --- thus, it WAS an even playing field and for that, his athletic accomplishments stand on their own, as far as I'm concerned.

From a personality standpoint, he's nothing unusual. The fact that he's arrogant, self-centered & selfish isn't suprising - most people performing at that level (sports, surgery, concert piano) tend towards those characteristics.

From a human perspective, tho, he's a turd. The fact that he lied for so long and so convincingly and in the face of so much evidence to the contrary - that is the disheartening thing for me. I don't fault LiveStrong --- they are trying to do good work. I hope people don't pull their support for the origanization just because the founder is an *kitten*. I feel badly for his family and supporters - to have been duped for so long (I include myself here).

My only real questions for Mr. Armstrong are: Did you get what you wanted from all this? Was it worth it?

And then I'd like to kick him in his remaining ball...

BUT - back to the original post: I'd love to know WHAT he was using and HOW. His physical abilities are superhuman - if I could enhance my performance without risking my overall health, why wouldn't I? No one is testing MY blood for PEDs and I'm not in competition with anyone but the Grim Reaper. I'll cheat him every way I can...

Holy crap!!! Reasoning, logic, and understanding! I like you!

LOL - completely unintentional, I assure you. :laugh:
  • WhoTheHellIsBen
    Options
    Yeah, I'm totally sorry I want the stuff that makes me a world class athlete at 40+ years old. What the hell was I thinking ?

That you want to get cancer, or liver damage, and die early? That's what I'm guessing. Or possibly go on a roid rage, piss off the wrong person, get killed? Cuz I know someone like that... he didn't die, but he got beat so badly he probably wished he had died... lost an eye, had an ear ripped off..... roid rage is awesome, eh?

Well I'm pretty sure steroids can be ruled out at that was a designer drug for bodybuilders mostly and died off in the mid 90's when the much safer HgH rolled out.
    Second, If we hate PED's so much and the 'cheaters' who use them, how come the Arnold Classic stays so popular? and why did Bush part 1 make him the Chairman on the presidents council for physical fitness?!?! This dude won over a dozen body building championships while on steroids! He cheated since day one by your description, yet we can't stop honoring the guy and using him as the example on success
  • digitalbill
    Options

Word!

Yes. Your opinions of racing are absolutely irrelevant and your statement that I'm making claims that are unverifiable are incorrect. You may want to go look at the stats on cheating at the TdF. Its pretty bad to put it mildly. Yes, there are a few who have not tested positive, but you should know that LA wasn't caught until a full court press was put on him, and then only after several rounds and many years of that by multiple agencies. At some point the cheating becomes so bad and the enforcement so lax and after the fact, that one either plays the game and cheats, or just throws in the towel. I doubt you agree because you seem to live in a black and white world, but I think many of us see shades of grey.

Of course, LA's morality and the rest of this is still a complete side bar to the actual discussion that several of us were attempting to have here before people like yourself with moral chips on your shoulders side tracked it.

Frankly, I'm done communicating with you because you have nothing to add and have demonstrated a complete ignorance of the subject at hand. I always enjoy debate with the informed and logical but its never productive with the ignorant who refuse to educate themselves on the subject matter.
    A "moral chip" on my shoulder?
    Well screw the hell out of me for wanting some morals.
    If you want to worship a guy who got ahead by beaing a cheater, well, I suppose that has a lot to say about your own morals as well.
  • digitalbill
    Options

You just listed off a bunch of suckers that should have gotten day jobs and spent that time with their families instead of training futilely for a race they never had a chance in. Everybody in that sport dopes. If you're not doping, that's great. Just go do something productive with your time if you're not willing to do what it takes to compete.

I'm not pro-drugs. I'm not anti-drugs. I'm pro reality. Cycling (and many other sports) without doping is a fairy tale.
    My brother in law is a competitive road racer and he doesn't dope.
    He is also a moron but, that's beside the point.
    It appears that you are suggesting that unless you are willing to be a cheater, don't even play the game.

At what point did we decide that it was OK to cheat as long we we win?

This actually got a chuckle out of me.

Regarding your other post. Yes I am running out of things to say because I can only rephrase the same thing so many times. I don't care about his personality, don't care about the TdF, I care about how an old man who made it through cancer, lost a ball, battled age and STILL competed at such an insane level. Yes, if the pros outweigh the con's I would not rule out getting on board with what he does. That being said, HgH is very easy to get and the pro's out weight the con's as well as many variants of injectable peptides yet I take none of them.
    But we can play this game until you get bored, you can all keep saying hes a liar and a cheater, I'll keep saying, I don't care, that's not what I'm interested in
    Did you ever consider the possibility that he got cancer BECAUSE of the drugs he was taking.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    This thread is amusing - all the people getting worked up about it.
    I'll add one or two things as a racer fan boy - I've watched about a dozen TdF (3 in person) and ridden with Lance (for a short time at a RAGBRAI).

Why are PEDs not allowed? Somewhere along the way people forgot that PEDs are the fastest way having young atheletes die for the sport. As you push the limit of the sport, the difference between dying on your bike and getting on a podium was small when the PEDs made the difference. A training program for many sports includes a lot of stupid things done "for the win". Rules are placed, in part, to avoid injury and death.
    When pro racers enhance and get caught, its right that they get tossed out - as bad as the UCI, FFC, USADA and the others have been in the past in managing doping - they do seem to get things right with the bio. passport and more serious testing of riders off races. About fucking time.
    The promotion of a doping lifestyle puts young atheletes at risk - Lance and Co. having been riding high and banking it in by doing just that. He is a great athelete, and I have supported his charity in the past ( a close rider friend is a cancer survivor and a speaker for them) and will continue to do so.
    Him? I watched a few minutes of his mea culpa, he won't get my attention again - I wouldn't pee on him if he caught on fire.

RIP, Tommy.
    tommy_simpson_memorial.jpg
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    its funny to see him try to be so sincere in the Oprah interview. and yet he continues to lie. he seems to only admit things that are outside the statute of limitations. but i guess he has to continue to lie so that he doesnt lose all his money and go to jail.
  • biscuitwelsh
    biscuitwelsh Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I think it took a lot of ball for Lance to come clean.
    Personally I couldn't care less about what people put in their body, as long as they're willing to pay the full price for it. So if someone treats their body like a test lab and as a result their nuts shrivel up like raisins, they grow roid tits and develop early onset hardening of the arteries but they pay for their healthcare and support their families-- then I say "Have at it"
  • MissyJessy
    MissyJessy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    yes drugs are bad... we can beat that dead horse with a stick for ever and ever....

Should he have sued all those people.... probably not...

Did he get stripped of all his race titles for drug use... yes

Is he still pretty kick *kitten*... yes

The fricken guy beat cancer how many times AND still managed to win the tour de france how many times? Screw all you guys i dont care what drugs he was on that man is still an inspiration to all those who suffer from major illnesses... regardless of all the media crap hes going through right now i will always think of him as a pretty kick *kitten* individual