Excited about Lance Armstrong!

Options

Replies

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    and he shouldn't have won 7 tours!!!!

And yet, somehow, he was faster than all other competitors...seven times!

So yeah, I'd like to know how he did it...and then we can figure out the pros and cons of what he used. While it's impossible to tell just by looking at him (and what we hear through the media), he seems to be a rather "healthy" individual, despite what is apparently years of using __________. I'd like to evaluate if those same things would provide a net benefit for me.

And yeah, I've heard he's a total jerk too...but that really isn't relevant to my (and OP's) reasons for being interested. Maybe start your own "Lance is a jerk!" thread.

^^ best said

Thanks...but honestly, I think my post is just a derivative of (or even just a paraphrase of) OP's post. It was just my attempt at getting the thread back on the rails by bringing the discussion back to the point of this thread.

ETA: And I'm talking about the *original* OP, not the recently-labeled OP.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    I'd rather be intelligent than have big muscles. Just saying.

I have two professional graduate degrees, work hard, and hit the gym. Did you know that there are even college football players that go on to be doctors and lawyers (and even the oh so prestigious and high-end field of special ed)? What exactly are you saying?
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    He had cancer in his ball sac. It does not impress me that his lungs were still able to process oxygen. One day, I shoved a 7lb 6 oz baby out of my loins. It took 9 hours and 21 minutes, but my lungs processed oxygen the entire time. Impressed?:tongue:

Look up the chemo drug Bleomycin. it does terrible things to your lungs, how do I know, I took it for three months...for the "cancer in my ball sac" I still wear a "do not give 100% Oxygen Road ID", because if I took it, my lungs would crystallise and fail. Congrats on the kid!

^^I like you! Your response was much better than mine!

I like you too. Seriously the original poster is off her baby loins shoving rocker. Congrats on your recovery.

Thanks to all, 13 years cancer free this May!! But in the Op's defense, we need to give her support as well, she is on this journey for her 3 cats according to her profile!

Thank you for your service, sir, and congratulations on your recovery!
  • soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Lance.jpg

Honestly it is that 23rd place finisher that I feel sorry for. If the rules about doping are to have any value at all he is the one that got screwed over here. He did the best out of everyone that followed the rules. He may have even beat out some people who were cheating. What he did was still very impressive but he will be overshadowed.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    He had cancer in his ball sac. It does not impress me that his lungs were still able to process oxygen. One day, I shoved a 7lb 6 oz baby out of my loins. It took 9 hours and 21 minutes, but my lungs processed oxygen the entire time. Impressed?:tongue:

Look up the chemo drug Bleomycin. it does terrible things to your lungs, how do I know, I took it for three months...for the "cancer in my ball sac" I still wear a "do not give 100% Oxygen Road ID", because if I took it, my lungs would crystallise and fail. Congrats on the kid!

^^I like you! Your response was much better than mine!

I like you too. Seriously the original poster is off her baby loins shoving rocker. Congrats on your recovery.

Thanks to all, 13 years cancer free this May!! But in the Op's defense, we need to give her support as well, she is on this journey for her 3 cats according to her profile!

*praying for her 3 cats and her journey* :flowerforyou:
  • mistylovesmusic
    Options
    Here's what the Oprah article I read today said:

USADA exposed Armstrong as a liar and a cheat, describing him as the ringmaster of the "most sophisticated, professionalized and successful doping program that sport has ever seen," involving anabolic steroids, human growth hormone, blood transfusions and other doping.

Yeah, this sounds like something every athlete should allowed to do. Seriously, if you want to do this to your body on purpose your crazy! If you aren't able to win without cheating, accept the loss.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

USADA exposed Armstrong as a liar and a cheat, describing him as the ringmaster of the "most sophisticated, professionalized and successful doping program that sport has ever seen," involving anabolic steroids, human growth hormone, blood transfusions and other doping.

Yeah, this sounds like something every athlete should allowed to do. Seriously, if you want to do this to your body on purpose your crazy! If you aren't able to win without cheating, accept the loss.

Did you really just make a definitive conclusion about everything Lance is doing in his program from an Oprah article? Oprah says it, you believe it, that settles it? Don't you think you might...just *might*...be missing a few of the critical facts needed to make a fully informed decision?

*sigh*
  • mistylovesmusic
    Options
    I made a a definitive conclusion based on the term blood doping and what it means. I just quoted the Oprah article because it quoted the USADA report of what blood doping is. Regardless, an athlete is an athlete based on his/her ability to perform the sport he/she is involved in. One shouldn't be allowed to use drugs to enhance that.

Think about the pressures that will be put upon children and future athletes to take drugs to make them "better". Nothing about "anabolic steroids, human growth hormone, blood transfusions and other doping" sounds healthy. Could this be what gave Lance Armstrong cancer to begin with? Who knows... My daughter is a soccer player. Not the best in her division but I wouldn't want some idiot tempting her with drugs to make her better. Either she will work hard to become better or she won't. With the competition that's out there, kids don't need added pressure to take drugs.
  • My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I want whatever he was taking!
  • trojanbb
    trojanbb Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options

umm none of that is even remotely dangerous and the side affects are minimal. HGH...hardly unhealthy. Doping with the help of a doctor...safe. The minimal amounts of AAS he took - safe.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    who the heck could be excited about Armstrong for any reason?
  • sunsnstatheart
    Options
    I made a a definitive conclusion based on the term blood doping and what it means. I just quoted the Oprah article because it quoted the USADA report of what blood doping is. Regardless, an athlete is an athlete based on his/her ability to perform the sport he/she is involved in. One shouldn't be allowed to use drugs to enhance that.

Think about the pressures that will be put upon children and future athletes to take drugs to make them "better". Nothing about "anabolic steroids, human growth hormone, blood transfusions and other doping" sounds healthy. Could this be what gave Lance Armstrong cancer to begin with? Who knows... My daughter is a soccer player. Not the best in her division but I wouldn't want some idiot tempting her with drugs to make her better. Either she will work hard to become better or she won't. With the competition that's out there, kids don't need added pressure to take drugs.

Should the "blade runner" take off his blades and not be allowed to compete? Is he better because he has an obvious disability? Do chemotherapy and other cancer treatments permanently damage your body?
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

umm none of that is even remotely dangerous and the side affects are minimal. HGH...hardly unhealthy. Doping with the help of a doctor...safe. The minimal amounts of AAS he took - safe.
    lol don't be throwing your informed opinion in the ring. It's not like the reason people deteriorate so badly in old age is because they lack HGH or testosterone or anything.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

The defense of "but what about the children?" is a real stretch...because the drugs/supplements you fear are already out there. Like I've said several times already in this thread, I just want to know *what* he was using and doing. I don't think this information will jeopardize the health of your daughter in any way. Oh, sure, the protocol may be entirely harmful, but without knowing what it is, I can't even begin to evaluate the safety (for adults or for children).

I think you're confusing my distinction between *knowing* the details of his approach and *advocating* his approach. There's a difference...a very big difference. One is information that may or may not be useful; the other would be stupid (since I would be advocating something without knowing anything about it). Conversely, I believe this is also true for *condemning* his approach without knowing any details.

And note, I am in no way saying competitive athletes should break the rules in their sport. They shouldn't, IMHO, in case there is any uncertainty. However, I am not a competitive athlete. I'm just a guy who is curious about what he did and whether or not there may be some real world application.

And I'm not sure by knowing what LA did will in any way affect whether or not some idiot will tempt your daughter with drugs. I suspect that's incredibly uncorrelated.
  • WhoTheHellIsBen
    WhoTheHellIsBen Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options

You also made the definitive desicion that I was taking PED's based on assumptions. Basically your input over this entire thread has been narrow minded and not based on any hard evidence. Please, please, please, never sit for jury duty.
  • mistylovesmusic
    Options

Should the "blade runner" take off his blades and not be allowed to compete? Is he better because he has an obvious disability? Do chemotherapy and other cancer treatments permanently damage your body?

Yes, Chemotherapy permanently damages your body. That’s a dumb question. My dear friend can’t have children because of it. My aunt had a massive heart attack because of it. Clearly you’ve never known anyone who’s had chemo.

As for your blade runner question. The original poster stated he wants these drugs to be legalized. I was stating my arugement as to the dangers of it.
  • sunsnstatheart
    Options

Yes, Chemotherapy permanently damages your body. That’s a dumb question. My dear friend can’t have children because of it. My aunt had a massive heart attack because of it. Clearly you’ve never known anyone who’s had chemo.

As for your blade runner question. The original poster stated he wants these drugs to be legalized. I was stating my arugement as to the dangers of it.

Just in case you missed it:

The rhetorical question is usually defined as any question asked for a purpose other than to obtain the information the question asks. For example, "Why are you so stupid?" is likely to be a statement regarding one's opinion of the person addressed rather than a genuine request to know. Similarly, when someone responds to a tragic event by saying, "Why me, God?!" it is more likely to be an accusation or an expression of feeling than a realistic request for information.

Edit: Before you start parading your aunt and dear friend in front of me, you may want to read my profile. The point I was making had to the do with the fact that chemo does in fact damage the body, and very likely permanently. LA fought back from that and the fact that it now appears that he used some PEAs may or may not have made the playing field even. Its a complex situation but one that you, and many others, want to simplify without actually considering the entirety of the situation. The reason I bring up the "blade runner" is to highlight the fact that he may have an advantage but one that most people seem to overlook because of his obvious disability. LA's disability may be less obvious but it should at least be considered when discussing the level playing field and the affect on your daughter's world view and the pressures on her.
  • mistylovesmusic
    Options

Sir, you stated yourself something about having "roid Rage". Enough said.

You also made the definitive desicion that I was taking PED's based on assumptions. Basically your input over this entire thread has been narrow minded and not based on any hard evidence. Please, please, please, never sit for jury duty.
  • WhoTheHellIsBen
    WhoTheHellIsBen Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options

Sir, you stated yourself something about having "roid Rage". Enough said.

once again you have failed at doing your homework. the 'roid rage' comment was a sarcastic response that was aimed at the previous poster who claimed that was my issue.But if we want to continue to take things out of context to contort them and make them work to prove a point, in your previous statement you said,' blood transfusions and other doping sounds healthy.' what kind of mom are you to instill such values like that in your children ?!?!?