Excited about Lance Armstrong!

Options

Replies

• WhoTheHellIsBen
    WhoTheHellIsBen Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I'd rather be intelligent than have big muscles. Just saying.

Are the two mutually exclusive? I want big muscles and am also currently working on my Masters and have been thought of by my peers and professors and a relatively intilligent human. I wasn't aware I wasn't allowed both options.

Huge muscles, check! Higher education than a silly NJ teacher who stereotypes, double check
    Ladies and gentlemen, Mr. Jim Stoppani

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jim-stoppani.htm
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    This is the guy who even after cancer had lungs that processed oxygen better than a high school top athlete.
    He had cancer in his ball sac. It does not impress me that his lungs were still able to process oxygen. One day, I shoved a 7lb 6 oz baby out of my loins. It took 9 hours and 21 minutes, but my lungs processed oxygen the entire time. Impressed?:tongue:

You are comparing the normal process of giving birth that goes on daily with the sort of beating a body takes from enduring cancer, chemo and all of the impact it has on one's entire immune system going through the ordeal, not to mention the stress from knowing could die if things go wrong, or that it could come back and kill you some time down the road? My mother gave birth to 5 and she would probably still tell you the breast cancer, treatments and mascectomy were worse than having 5 kids.
  • Queen_Adrock
    Queen_Adrock Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    If you avoid charities that except donations under false pretenses I really hope you also avoid Susan G. Komen. It doesn't get much more dirty, filled with lies, and bullying than those people http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/WhoTheHellIsBen/view/cancer-the-big-business-to-keep-it-alive-463780 ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh but wait, there's no media, facebook, uproar to tell you to hate them, nevermind, carry on

Actually, there was quite the social media uproar about it. People were super pissed about all of the copyright **** she was claiming on using the term "cure." I know a lot of people who don't support that charity anymore, and have found more ethical charities to support.

The uproar you speak of, lasted a few days, and was only over the frivolous lawsuits. This and many other charities should have been dropped years ago for their day to day practices, not because one day the media said they were bad.

Well, yes, any unethical charity should be dropped, and people should be careful in who they donate to and do their own research. But if the media brings to light their unscrupulous ways, I don't really see what's wrong with that, either.
  • ZoeLifts
    Options
    I don't care what they say about Lance. He earned all the awards and metals to received. People just want to pull him down from his achievements. He is and always will be a great cyclist.

I like that the one person who's met him in this thread called him a total jerk. :laugh:

No one is saying he has a great personality. Maybe if he starts taking 5-HTP so he can be a nicer human, then we can start blasting him for that and negate any positive impact his new personality could have.

I've always admired him as an athlete and someone who definitely pushes himself and works hard (while disliking his personality). Yes, he took PEDs and now is finally admitting it. Good, the world can continue to turn. But looking at the rest of the field, he was obviously not alone. I'll be willing to bet that if no one took PEDs in cycling, he would have still won 7 times.

?? I've taken 5-HTP and I'm not a nicer human. I have no idea what you were getting at. And we will never know if he would have won or not... That's like saying I bet I would win at synchronized swimming at the Olympics, had I ever trained for it.

Then we agree, neither of us know what the other is talking about. I have no idea what you were getting at talking about his personality when we are talking about his athleticism.
  • ZoeLifts
    Options
    He had cancer in his ball sac. It does not impress me that his lungs were still able to process oxygen. One day, I shoved a 7lb 6 oz baby out of my loins. It took 9 hours and 21 minutes, but my lungs processed oxygen the entire time. Impressed?:tongue:

Look up the chemo drug Bleomycin. it does terrible things to your lungs, how do I know, I took it for three months...for the "cancer in my ball sac" I still wear a "do not give 100% Oxygen Road ID", because if I took it, my lungs would crystallise and fail. Congrats on the kid!

^^I like you! Your response was much better than mine!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    and he shouldn't have won 7 tours!!!!

And yet, somehow, he was faster than all other competitors...seven times!

So yeah, I'd like to know how he did it...and then we can figure out the pros and cons of what he used. While it's impossible to tell just by looking at him (and what we hear through the media), he seems to be a rather "healthy" individual, despite what is apparently years of using __________. I'd like to evaluate if those same things would provide a net benefit for me.

And yeah, I've heard he's a total jerk too...but that really isn't relevant to my (and OP's) reasons for being interested. Maybe start your own "Lance is a jerk!" thread.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    This is the guy who even after cancer had lungs that processed oxygen better than a high school top athlete.

... Wow.
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    LA is nothing more than a liar and a cheat; as was a minority of the pro-peleton back then.

I'm with Sir Dave Brailsford I'm afraid; if you're guilty, you're out - end of!

Look how many coaches Team Sky lost 'under a cloud' when they changed their policy on 'infringements'?

Apparently the sport was so rotten, they've had to get performance coaches in from outside the sport to fulfil their quota.
  • Erin_goBrahScience
    Erin_goBrahScience Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options

So yeah, I'd like to know how he did it...and then we can figure out the pros and cons of what he used. While it's impossible to tell just by looking at him (and what we hear through the media), he seems to be a rather "healthy" individual, despite what is apparently years of using __________. I'd like to evaluate if those same things would provide a net benefit for me.

And yeah, I've heard he's a total jerk too...but that really isn't relevant to my (and OP's) reasons for being interested. Maybe start your own "Lance is a jerk!" thread.

This is what I think the issue is. The PED allowed him to train at a level that otherwise he would be unable to preform. How he trained, and what he was able to do gave him the competitive edge. The athletes that he competed with directly most likely were doping too.

So the question is, at the level they compete at are PED necessary to level the playing field?

Say eveyone that was competeing was doint it clean, would be looking at a much different race? Would he have been able to win 7 tours?
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    In on another Lance Armstrong thread. should end up being 50 pages long :p

The dude was one hell of an athlete. maybe not the most honest person, but I'd lie too if it kept me out of jail, and helped me avoid lawsuits from my sponsors. To all of his ex fans who are upset that he lied about taking drugs, it's your own fault for being delusional and thinking your favorite pro athletes are natural. It should be understood.

^^^ This. I'd add take all the drugs you want, work out like hell, see where you finish in the next TDF, then judge. I really don't care about what athletes do in their personal lives and any idiot knows that they're all juicing. I really just don't care. I'm here to be entertained and they do that for me. LA went a step beyond that and survived cancer and then became more awesome. If drugs helped him to do that then so be it.
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options

Look up the chemo drug Bleomycin. it does terrible things to your lungs, how do I know, I took it for three months...for the "cancer in my ball sac" I still wear a "do not give 100% Oxygen Road ID", because if I took it, my lungs would crystallise and fail. Congrats on the kid!

I like you too. Seriously the original poster is off her baby loins shoving rocker. Congrats on your recovery.
  • opalescence
    opalescence Posts: 413 Member
    Options

^^ best said
  • sunsnstatheart
    Options

You are comparing the normal process of giving birth that goes on daily with the sort of beating a body takes from enduring cancer, chemo and all of the impact it has on one's entire immune system going through the ordeal, not to mention the stress from knowing could die if things go wrong, or that it could come back and kill you some time down the road? My mother gave birth to 5 and she would probably still tell you the breast cancer, treatments and mascectomy were worse than having 5 kids.

^^^Talk to my wife. She's in complete agreement with this one. Childbirth was easy for her. The chemo, double mastectomy and their after effects suck. I like Lance because he showed that you can survive and thrive. If it took drugs then start passing them out.
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    Livestrong.
  • RMeDude
    RMeDude Posts: 37
    Options

I like you too. Seriously the original poster is off her baby loins shoving rocker. Congrats on your recovery.

Thanks to all, 13 years cancer free this May!! But in the Op's defense, we need to give her support as well, she is on this journey for her 3 cats according to her profile!
  • opalescence
    Options
    Not to mention the majority of his competitors are probably on gear as well ;)
    This! I don't really get why they are illegal in the first place.

Neither do I. If the public and general and other agencies headed by flat, sweaty blokes who probably couldn't pedal a pedalo could get passed their sanctimonious fauxtrage they might think "hmmm, this guy had testicular cancer which is supposed to decimate your system. He was doping. He also managed to win 7 Tours and compete at an exceptional level. Perhaps, just maybe it's worth investigating what he was using and doing to see if it can create viable drugs or methods which can be used for the benefit of all mankind?"

But nooooooo. Drugs are bad m'kay?

I would like to see anyone win anything (better yet, get yourself out of bed to make your doctor appointments) while taking chemo. Maybe he was on to something? How won 7 titles and is now cancer free.
  • opalescence
    Options

Thanks to all, 13 years cancer free this May!! But in the Op's defense, we need to give her support as well, she is on this journey for her 3 cats according to her profile!

HaHa! That was gold...Congratulations on your recovery. :flowerforyou:
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

This is what I think the issue is. The PED allowed him to train at a level that otherwise he would be unable to preform. How he trained, and what he was able to do gave him the competitive edge. The athletes that he competed with directly most likely were doping too.

So the question is, at the level they compete at are PED necessary to level the playing field?

Say eveyone that was competeing was doint it clean, would be looking at a much different race? Would he have been able to win 7 tours?

Except that I really don't care if he would or would not have been able to win. Totally irrelevant to my point. I want to know *what* he was doing...*what* he was taking, and *what* he was doing in training. The combination of these things made him faster than everyone else. I want to know what they are to determine if there is a net benefit to me (and others). Very probably, the negatives > benefits, but we don't know that from a description of "PEDs". That's a "fairness" or "rules" label that tells us nothing about the cost benefit analysis...(except that there was a benefit to his performance, but with no real indication of the costs to his health (if any)).

And I don't buy the rationale of an assumption that the costs are too high. Let's face it, completely ignoring the PEDs, rigorous training like he does to compete is necessarily costly to his health...and most likely more costly than beneficial (at least to health).
  • sunsnstatheart
    Options

^^ Congratulations and thank you for your service! Seriously.
  • beckarini
    beckarini Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    If I ever find out that Bradley Wiggins has taken anything I might cry. I love his sideburns.