Excited about Lance Armstrong!

Options

Replies

• ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    In on another Lance Armstrong thread. should end up being 50 pages long :p

The dude was one hell of an athlete. maybe not the most honest person, but I'd lie too if it kept me out of jail, and helped me avoid lawsuits from my sponsors. To all of his ex fans who are upset that he lied about taking drugs, it's your own fault for being delusional and thinking your favorite pro athletes are natural. It should be understood.
  • WhoTheHellIsBen
    WhoTheHellIsBen Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options

The dude was one hell of an athlete. maybe not the most honest person, but I'd lie to if it kept me out of jail, and helped me avoid lawsuits from my sponsors. To all of his ex fans who are upset that he lied about taking drugs, it's your own fault for being delusional and thinking your favorite pro athletes are natural. It should be understood.

:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • Erin_goBrahScience
    Erin_goBrahScience Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    I'll ask again because I think it might have been missed.

Do you feel that PED serve as a tool to restore competitive equality?
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options

The dude was one hell of an athlete. maybe not the most honest person, but I'd lie too if it kept me out of jail, and helped me avoid lawsuits from my sponsors. To all of his ex fans who are upset that he lied about taking drugs, it's your own fault for being delusional and thinking your favorite pro athletes are natural. It should be understood.

srs?
  • WhoTheHellIsBen
    Options
    Back when Stallone was filming the last Rambo he go busted heading into Australia with 6 months worth of HgH. The media became their usual foaming frenzy in the hopes of getting another huge star to say sorry and beg for forgiveness. Don't remember this story? It's because when Stallone was approached on this his response was that he loved HgH, it needs to be legal, everyone over 40 should be using it. The media freaked the hell out and buried the story as quick as possible. The only reason why anyone cares at all is because Lance denied it for so long. I'd say less than 1% of everyone whining about feeling betrayed have even watched a single tour de france
  • imfivebyfive
    Options
    I feel bad for all the non doping athletes who competed against him all those years.

Livestrong... more like Cheatstrong. Jerk.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options

srs?
    Totes srs.
  • WhoTheHellIsBen
    Options

If the average person took steroids then sat around and watched TV all day they would still be a fat bloated mess with nothing to show for it. Now if you take steroids, craft your diet to perfection, train hard for hours a day, you can become a beast. Moral of the story, drugs are still just a supplement, a tool if you will, you still need to put in the hard work. That is the same for ANY PED.
  • WhoTheHellIsBen
    Options
    I feel bad for all the non doping athletes who competed against him all those years.

Out of curiosity, which completely clean cyclists are you referring to ?
  • IslandDreamer64
    IslandDreamer64 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I'd rather be intelligent than have big muscles. Just saying.
  • wiglett
    wiglett Posts: 53
    Options
    whose to know if what he did caused his cancer?
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Many athletes in the sports are believed to have been doping...they just don't like Lance because he's american succeeding in a sport usually dominated by other countries

Yes, it's because he's American.

Like Alberto Contador...
  • Erin_goBrahScience
    Erin_goBrahScience Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options

If the average person took steroids then sat around and watched TV all day they would still be a fat bloated mess with nothing to show for it. Now if you take steroids, craft your diet to perfection, train hard for hours a day, you can become a beast. Moral of the story, drugs are still just a supplement, a tool if you will, you still need to put in the hard work. That is the same for ANY PED.

I wasn't referring to the average Joe. I was asking in reference to those using them as an aid in competitive performance.

Its no secret that PED's are used in professional sports. And have been for decades. My question is, do you think they should they be used to level the playing field in competetive sports?
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    <snip>Let's be honest, the average person with high cholesterol is overweight and eats like crap. Let's just write them a script that says buy some cheerio's and go for a walk fatty.

:laugh: :laugh:
  • WhoTheHellIsBen
    Options
    I'd rather be intelligent than have big muscles. Just saying.

Contrary to the Planet Fitness commercials you apparently are basing this logic on, you can in fact have both.
  • DamnImASexyBitch
    DamnImASexyBitch Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Eh. I don't think it makes a bit of difference. He took ENHANCEMENT drugs, but the talent had to be there from the get go. It doesn't magically make you able to do things you couldn't before. Same with baseball players, swimmers, ect. I think if someone wants to take those things and compete, they honestly should be able to. The people who are saying he ruined lives...haha. So over dramatic. Who's life was ruined because he took enhancement drugs?
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options

All 3 of them.
  • Candy1629
    Candy1629 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    What pisses me off about Lance Armstrong was his smug, holier-than-thou attitude the whole time he was cycling/doping. Keep in mind that he not only used PED's (which I could honestly care less about), but sued people for defamation, strong-armed and threatened those who exposed him, and accepted donations to his charity under false pretenses.

I don't so much think the "everyone else was doing it, so it's OK" really should apply. I think my parents taught me when I was 5 that this wasn't really the right attitude to have going through life.

Lance's "apology" is totally calculated and completely self-serving, and I hope the public doesn't forgive him for what he's done. If Lance was really apologetic, he'd donate the money he's made from cycling to charity, and not throw everyone else in his organization under the bus so he could compete earlier. Of course he's admitting to it now - he has nothing to lose now that his Tour titles have been revoked, his endorsements are gone, and even his OWN CHARITY has had to drop him as spokesman.

He is a pretty ****ty person, and not so much for the doping, but for how he handled the entire thing. I won't be watching the Oprah episode because (besides the fact Oprah annoys me) his "remorse" would probably make me throw up in my mouth.

exactly
  • RMeDude
    RMeDude Posts: 37
    Options
    What pisses me off about Lance Armstrong was his smug, holier-than-thou attitude the whole time he was cycling/doping. Keep in mind that he not only used PED's (which I could honestly care less about), but sued people for defamation, strong-armed and threatened those who exposed him, and accepted donations to his charity under false pretenses.

I don't so much think the "everyone else was doing it, so it's OK" really should apply. I think my parents taught me when I was 5 that this wasn't really the right attitude to have going through life.

Lance's "apology" is totally calculated and completely self-serving, and I hope the public doesn't forgive him for what he's done. If Lance was really apologetic, he'd donate the money he's made from cycling to charity, and not throw everyone else in his organization under the bus so he could compete earlier. Of course he's admitting to it now - he has nothing to lose now that his Tour titles have been revoked, his endorsements are gone, and even his OWN CHARITY has had to drop him as spokesman.

He is a pretty ****ty person, and not so much for the doping, but for how he handled the entire thing. I won't be watching the Oprah episode because (besides the fact Oprah annoys me) his "remorse" would probably make me throw up in my mouth.

Let me first adress his attutude, when i was going through my chemo, Lance took the time to send me and autographed copy of book, as well as phone call. 10 years later when i was on my second tour in Iraq, and he was making the rounds on his Tour to Iraq and Afghanistan, he altered a trip so we could meet...pretty smug.

You think he should donate his winning from cycling to charity? He doubled his winnings from each race and dividied it among the team, who he recognized got him to the finish line. If you are talking endorsements, think the yellow wristband, all proceeds to charity.

His own charity had to drop him... try again, he stepped down because he saw the writing on the wall and did not want to drag LiveStrong through this.

It's not about the bike, never has been, never will be. it is about the 28 million affected by cancer (like me) who have benefitted from his philantropic and fundraising efforts!

I for one am glad he motivated me to quit feeling sorry for myself, get up run a marathon, compete in triathlons and continue to push myself further.

I am very disappointed in this, don't get me wrong. There's no way to lessen the sting, but it's ok to be let down by those we admire. It's proof that we are all imperfect beings. Self worth, forgiveness and hope are intertwined and come from above, not from mankind.
  • IslandDreamer64
    IslandDreamer64 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Judging by how many people even care about this story, I'd say not.