Excited about Lance Armstrong!

Options

Replies

• Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    yes drugs are bad... we can beat that dead horse with a stick for ever and ever....

Should he have sued all those people.... probably not...

Did he get stripped of all his race titles for drug use... yes

Is he still pretty kick *kitten*... yes

The fricken guy beat cancer how many times AND still managed to win the tour de france how many times? Screw all you guys i dont care what drugs he was on that man is still an inspiration to all those who suffer from major illnesses... regardless of all the media crap hes going through right now i will always think of him as a pretty kick *kitten* individual

i dont see how anyone could be inspired by him anymore. unless you want to lie, cheat and ruin people's lives on the way to wealth.
  • WhoTheHellIsBen
    WhoTheHellIsBen Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options

Take a moment and forget all that you know/have heard about him as a person and instead consider what he was able to do. I think it's worth considering.
    He was able to win seven titles by cheating.
    Forgive me for being unimpressed.
    The REAL champ in those races are the guys who placed, 5th, 12th or 25th without cheating.

You just listed off a bunch of suckers that should have gotten day jobs and spent that time with their families instead of training futilely for a race they never had a chance in. Everybody in that sport dopes. If you're not doping, that's great. Just go do something productive with your time if you're not willing to do what it takes to compete.

I'm not pro-drugs. I'm not anti-drugs. I'm pro reality. Cycling (and many other sports) without doping is a fairy tale.
    My brother in law is a competitive road racer and he doesn't dope.
    He is also a moron but, that's beside the point.
    It appears that you are suggesting that unless you are willing to be a cheater, don't even play the game.

At what point did we decide that it was OK to cheat as long we we win?

This actually got a chuckle out of me.

Regarding your other post. Yes I am running out of things to say because I can only rephrase the same thing so many times. I don't care about his personality, don't care about the TdF, I care about how an old man who made it through cancer, lost a ball, battled age and STILL competed at such an insane level. Yes, if the pros outweigh the con's I would not rule out getting on board with what he does. That being said, HgH is very easy to get and the pro's out weight the con's as well as many variants of injectable peptides yet I take none of them.
    But we can play this game until you get bored, you can all keep saying hes a liar and a cheater, I'll keep saying, I don't care, that's not what I'm interested in
    Did you ever consider the possibility that he got cancer BECAUSE of the drugs he was taking.

google ________causes cancer, the blank spot is open for anything you want to type there. I've done it and found anything you can imagine has one study or another about causing cancer. Sex, breathing, farting, laughing hard, snoring, all cause cancer apparently. So yeah, unless he was chewing on asbestos gum while laying under a UV lamp for 14 hours a day, and pounding pepsi max for a PED regime, I'm really not concerned.
  • WhoTheHellIsBen
    Options
    yes drugs are bad... we can beat that dead horse with a stick for ever and ever....

The fricken guy beat cancer how many times AND still managed to win the tour de france how many times? Screw all you guys i dont care what drugs he was on that man is still an inspiration to all those who suffer from major illnesses... regardless of all the media crap hes going through right now i will always think of him as a pretty kick *kitten* individual
    :drinker:
  • MissyJessy
    MissyJessy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options

i dont see how anyone could be inspired by him anymore. unless you want to lie, cheat and ruin people's lives on the way to wealth.

HE HAD CANCER...HE BEAT CANCER....

Enough said?

If everyone would just stop with the cheating crap and go back to the fact that even without doping he beat cancer and is STILL a better athlete than you will ever be. So yes sorry but i think anyone who has beat cancer and is still a high performance athlete is still pretty damn amazing
  • Laces_0ut
    Options

Enough said?

If everyone would just stop with the cheating crap and go back to the fact that even without doping he beat cancer and is STILL a better athlete than you will ever be. So yes sorry but i think anyone who has beat cancer and is still a high performance athlete is still pretty damn amazing

so if Bernie Madoff beat cancer then he would be an inspiration to us all even though he ruined people's lives?
  • IronMikeFox
    Options
    This is, at least for me, a fascinating thread to read. There are a lot of different viewpoints and, to some extent, I can see where most of them come from. Personally, I have never really cared if Armstrong used PED's or not. From everything I have ever read and from cyclists with who I have spoken, it sounds like all of the top competitors were doing it. So, I don't know that it really gave him an advantage over anyone else. I don't know enough about PED's to intelligently argue whether or not they cause damage to the body. I have heard a lot of people swear that HGH will one day be legal and that it is truly the fountain of youth. So who knows!

But that aside, I am not one to put athletes on a pedestal. We are all flawed beings and due to the stress (both physical and mental) involved in competing at the highest level, I think professional athletes are more prone to err in these matters. The thing that does bother me about this guy is the fact that he set out to destroy people who didn't want to go along with the lies. The threats, law suits, and general bullying that went on to protect his lie are inexcusable. Those are the things that have turned me off to Lance Armstrong and those are the things that I think outweigh any good he may have done otherwise.
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options

Guess what guys.
    I also beat cancer.
    I guess that also makes me pretty kick *kitten*.
  • MissyJessy
    Options

Enough said?

so if Bernie Madoff beat cancer then he would be an inspiration to us all even though he ruined people's lives?

1) i have no idea who that is so i am not going to comment on that either way. Your focusing on the fact that he was doping, and not what he has accomplished as a human being (putting the racing aside). If we are going to point out people who are being recognized when they dont deserve to be lets throw in Michael Vick; hes a sick individual who forced animals to fight against each other for his enjoyment and to make money off of most of those dogs died in the process but HEY he can play foot ball again YAY lets all forget that he was killing animals and go watch him be great at foot ball.

Your arguing with me and we arent even on the same topic. I could personally care less what LA did to his own body, i agreed that he shouldnt have lied about it and made such a big anti drug stink. But i still stand by what i said he beat cancer and is still a better athlete than you will EVER be with or without drugs he worked his *kitten* off to get in the shape he is in and stay in it. I dont care how long you dope for you still have to put the effort in to get to where you want to be. Its not like one shot of steroids will INSTANTLY give you a buff appearance it still takes hard work.

So if you are going to argue with me on how I SEE LA then you might as well give up because i dont care that he cheated i dont care that he did drugs. What i do think is that it takes a big person to come out and admit to something it takes a big man to acknowlege when its time to do the right thing and to accept being stripped of all your titles. It takes an EVEN BIGGER man to beat cancer to lose a portion of your "manhood" and still become a world renown athlete when i can imagine when he had cancer he was depressed and didnt feel like leaving the house every day let alone thinking ggetting back on his bike and competing.

So i dont care what you say LA is pretty fricken great and still an inspiration to those being told by doctors right now that they probably shouldnt do something because of the battles they are facing or the repricussions on their body. He has proved to the world over and over again that regardless ANYTHING can be overcomb with the right out look and determination you can make bad things right and achieve your dreams.

So take your "hes a cheater" and shove it because thats going to be pretty damn irrelevant in about a year or 2
  • Laces_0ut
    Options

Guess what guys.
    I also beat cancer.

as long as you didnt ruin people's lives like Lance you sure are.
  • MissyJessy
    Options

Guess what guys.
    I also beat cancer.

That does make you pretty kick *kitten* and the fact that your on this site getting healthy and meeting your goals makes it even more so

• Laces_0ut
    Options

Enough said?

1) i have no idea who that is so i am not going to comment on that either way. Your focusing on the fact that he was doping, and not what he has accomplished as a human being (putting the racing aside). If we are going to point out people who are being recognized when they dont deserve to be lets throw in Michael Vick; hes a sick individual who forced animals to fight against each other for his enjoyment and to make money off of most of those dogs died in the process but HEY he can play foot ball again YAY lets all forget that he was killing animals and go watch him be great at foot ball.

Your arguing with me and we arent even on the same topic. I could personally care less what LA did to his own body, i agreed that he shouldnt have lied about it and made such a big anti drug stink. But i still stand by what i said he beat cancer and is still a better athlete than you will EVER be with or without drugs he worked his *kitten* off to get in the shape he is in and stay in it. I dont care how long you dope for you still have to put the effort in to get to where you want to be. Its not like one shot of steroids will INSTANTLY give you a buff appearance it still takes hard work.

So if you are going to argue with me on how I SEE LA then you might as well give up because i dont care that he cheated i dont care that he did drugs. What i do think is that it takes a big person to come out and admit to something it takes a big man to acknowlege when its time to do the right thing and to accept being stripped of all your titles. It takes an EVEN BIGGER man to beat cancer to lose a portion of your "manhood" and still become a world renown athlete when i can imagine when he had cancer he was depressed and didnt feel like leaving the house every day let alone thinking ggetting back on his bike and competing.

So i dont care what you say LA is pretty fricken great and still an inspiration to those being told by doctors right now that they probably shouldnt do something because of the battles they are facing or the repricussions on their body. He has proved to the world over and over again that regardless ANYTHING can be overcomb with the right out look and determination you can make bad things right and achieve your dreams.

So take your "hes a cheater" and shove it because thats going to be pretty damn irrelevant in about a year or 2

i dont care that he lied or cheated or used PEDs. i care that in order to cover it up he sued, threatened and ruined people's lives in order to do so. and having cancer does not make up for that.
  • MissyJessy
    Options
    So its not ok for Lance to do it but all the other athletes out there thats ok?

Would you not panic a little if you told a lie and were on the verge of getting caught and thought you would lose everything would your first instinct not be to protect yourself and whats most important to you? what you feel makes you who you are?

And dont try to tell me you wouldnt because unfortunatly it is human nature... did he take it way to far yes yes he did. But hes a human and all humans make mistakes and unfortunatly those mistakes always have an effect on other people.

The biggest difference in this case is that he is famous, if he wouldnt world renown his mistakes wouldnt be such a big deal and have half the planet hating on him.
  • WhoTheHellIsBen
    Options

Enough said?

What.gif
    I do not have enough bread crumbs to get home after trying to follow this logic

Cancer and it's treatments ravage and destroy your body, much of which does not ever repair. So yes a cancer survivor competing and winning at a world class event is amazing. But throwing other random crap in there and adding cancer is not. But hey, let's go this route, here's a few more:

-If a priest survives cancer and can still touch kids, is he a hero?
    -If the Westboro Baptist church all survive cancer are they hero's for for supporting IED's that kill American soldiers?
    -If you survive cancer, are you a hero for writing such an insane response?
  • Laces_0ut
    Options

Would you not panic a little if you told a lie and were on the verge of getting caught and thought you would lose everything would your first instinct not be to protect yourself and whats most important to you? what you feel makes you who you are?

And dont try to tell me you wouldnt because unfortunatly it is human nature... did he take it way to far yes yes he did. But hes a human and all humans make mistakes and unfortunatly those mistakes always have an effect on other people.

The biggest difference in this case is that he is famous, if he wouldnt world renown his mistakes wouldnt be such a big deal and have half the planet hating on him.

wow ...of course people do things when they are desperate...does that make it ok? he is a horrible human being..and he still is continuing to lie.
  • Laces_0ut
    Options

Cancer and it's treatments ravage and destroy your body, much of which does not ever repair. So yes a cancer survivor competing and winning at a world class event is amazing. But throwing other random crap in there and adding cancer is not. But hey, let's go this route, here's a few more:

-If the Westboro Baptist church all survive cancer are they hero's for for supporting IED's that kill American soldiers?

think it through ...i know its hard for you but i think you might be able to do it.

ah forget it...i will spell it out...since i doubt you will be able to...

the other poster was saying we should forgive Lance of all because he beat cancer.

Lance ruined peoples lives.
    Madoff ruined peoples lives.

so i asked if Madoff had beaten cancer should we consider him a hero too and forgive him of all.
  • MissyJessy
    Options

Enough said?

What.gif

I have not survived cancer but i have lost many people to it. I think those comparasins are a little outrageous compared to a person lieing about doing drugs and attempting lawsuits.
    I am not going to bother touching those examples because that is not what this thread is about it is about how we all feel about LA. Not a religious debate if you would like to have that please feel free to message me and we can have it there.
    I have already agreed many times that yes what lance did was wrong but its not something new athletes have been doping for ever and its not going to change the only difference is now that they have made the rules so much more strict (yes to protect the athletes) we will start to see more people getting caught.

The reaction to LA coming out is almost as if people found out that Batman was doping... Good Grief
  • MissyJessy
    Options

think it through ...i know its hard for you but i think you might be able to do it.

ah forget it...i will spell it out...since i doubt you will be able to...

the other poster was saying we should forgive Lance of all because he beat cancer.

Lance ruined peoples lives.
    Madoff ruined peoples lives.

so i asked if Madoff had beaten cancer should we consider him a hero too and forgive him of all.

No i never once said we should forgive lance armstrong feel free to go back and reread my post because clearly you didnt read it well enough the first time. What i said is hes an athlete that was doing drugs big whoop happens all the time. I think that he is still a great athlete consider the odds that he had to beat to get where he was... before all this knocked him down a few pegs.
  • Laces_0ut
    Options

No i never once said we should forgive lance armstrong feel free to go back and reread my post because clearly you didnt read it well enough the first time. What i said is hes an athlete that was doing drugs big whoop happens all the time. I think that he is still a great athlete consider the odds that he had to beat to get where he was... before all this knocked him down a few pegs.

he is absoultely a great athlete...there is no question about that. and like i said i dont blame him for using PEDs. i just fault him for all the other horrible things he has done.
  • MissyJessy
    Options

wow ...of course people do things when they are desperate...does that make it ok? he is a horrible human being..and he still is continuing to lie.

No it doesnt make it ok but everyone needs to ackowledge that he was not super human before all of this he was very much human and made a lot of human mistakes. I have not once condoned his actions i have only spoken of MY views of him as an ATHLETE. Everyone is free to focus on what ever part of his career as they would like whether its the doing drugs the winning the titles, lying and "wrecking" peoples liives... we are all going to have our opinions and views on it just like everything else on earth and we are all very lucky to come from places that allow us to have debates such as these.

All that i have been trying to say before you all attempted to make me "see the light" about how much of a monster he is... is that i still think that he was and probably still is a pretty great athlete regardless of what all he has done to himself and others. His abilities speak for themself.
  • MissyJessy
    Options

he is absoultely a great athlete...there is no question about that. and like i said i dont blame him for using PEDs. i just fault him for all the other horrible things he has done.

so we both agree that hes a great athlete and i dont care about his personal faults and you do... so i dont see why this debate lol.:drinker: