Strange weight loss comments...

Options

Replies

• TrishaRN_74
    TrishaRN_74 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Mine is more about a lack of comment... I lost 25 pounds when I started a new job where I was running a lot, and my husband did not EVER say one word about it. I went back to the place I had worked before and got ALL KINDS of compliments, but my husband (now ex-husband) never said a word. That hurt more than anything!
  • TrishaRN_74
    Options
  • TrishaRN_74
    Options
    I was at my Ex mother-in-law's funeral and was chatting with my Ex husband and his wife (strange, I know...we get along fabulously). My ex's brother came up and asked me if I went to school with my Ex and his wife.

I get along with my husband's ex. We even go to concerts together! Not so strange to me! :laugh:
  • krc99080
    krc99080 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Neighbor,
    How much more are you planning to lose? I said 90 pounds and she said, "You don't want to get too thin..." People don't get that I'm still 301! They guess I'm between 220 and 240...
    [/quote]

I'm the same way in that I weigh more than people guess I do. I guess this is a good thing in a way - I appear skinnier than others of my height and weight. A friend and I used to wear about the same size clothing, I'm an inch taller and weighed about 30 pounds more . . . even though we could wear the same jeans easily.
  • westva2nc
    westva2nc Posts: 25
    Options
    At my 25th high school reunion, male classmate says to me... "WHY were we not friends in high school? OH. You didn't look like THIS in high school" while making the hourglass type hand gestures...really? We're in our 40's now.. what's with the hand gestures? I got thinner but he remained a jerk. That'd be the reasons we're not friends:)
  • banteringblonde
    banteringblonde Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I work remotely from home, and yesterday a colleague who lives across the country, whom I have not seen in person since August but video Skype several times a week said, "I feel like you are melting away in front of me!"
  • shayemimi
    shayemimi Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I had an former client of mine (nail technician) see me at the salon when she brought her son in for a hair cut and she didn't know me. lol THEN when she saw me sit at my desk she said 'Wow! I love you're hair!' lol I said 'Thanks, I really like it too:) " (It hasn't changed that much, except the color- which changes regularly I'm also a hairdresser lol). Then after a few minutes she said. 'Well you REALLY do look great! I didn't know you!! ' It was funny, because I could tell she wanted to bring up the weight loss but didn't know how. I just said 'Thanks! I've been working really hard and I feel awesome!' Made me feel great :)
  • meFreshwater
    meFreshwater Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    The most recent weird comment I got, after losing about 75 pounds and getting to a size 10:
    "You keep on and you'll be a hot mama. You're not there yet . . ."
    I'm 43, and the guy making the comment must be at least 65 and definitely not in shape. I laughed out loud and just said I'd keep working on it. Just for him, you know. :-)

On another note, I mentioned to my boyfriend that I had lost a few inches in my hips. He said, "No one ever wrote a song about liking small butts." Yeah, but they write a lot of breakup songs . . . .
  • Jen800
    Jen800 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    The most recent weird comment I got, after losing about 75 pounds and getting to a size 10:
    "You keep on and you'll be a hot mama. You're not there yet . . ."
    I'm 43, and the guy making the comment must be at least 65 and definitely not in shape. I laughed out loud and just said I'd keep working on it. Just for him, you know. :-)

On another note, I mentioned to my boyfriend that I had lost a few inches in my hips. He said, "No one ever wrote a song about liking small butts." Yeah, but they write a lot of breakup songs . . . .

LOL!
  • Prisme
    Prisme Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    A co-worker said I lost weight in my neck. Never heard that one before.

My sister said I lost my "waddle" My what? "On your neck, your waddle" Okay.
  • bunny1006
    bunny1006 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    About 4 years ago I lost 20 pounds (they are back now!). This guys told me..."you look sick, you should go see a Dr...I have this friend that started to lose weight too fast and she went to the Dr. and found out she has AIDS" (no kidding!). I will never forget his words. Ridiculous.

WTH!!!!! Ugh!
  • bunny1006
    bunny1006 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I've had close family members flat out tell me I'm "anorexic"... of course they're all severely overweight and wouldn't know what to do with a plate of veggies if they were force fed them. -_____-

LMBO!!! So sorry!
  • JediMomof3
    JediMomof3 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of people doing double takes because they don't recognize me right away. But I also get people who know I've lost weight who will freak out if they see me eating a piece of cake or a grilled cheese sandwich and declare loudly that I'm going to get fat again as if all 80+ pounds are going to spontaneously appear overnight from one piece of cake. (And usually these are people who have no business judging MY food choices.)

LOL I just had a Harry Potter moment reading this! 80+ spontaneously appearing!
  • Shrelana
    Shrelana Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    A colleague who hadn't seen me in a couple months "I didn't recognize you!" Felt kinda awkward lol
  • cook6609
    cook6609 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    While I am still far from my end goal weight/ normal BMI range, I've lost 35 lbs. I am starting to get the comments from family members...

From my mother (who is morbidly obese and who starts diets but stops after 3 days or less... she even tried MFP, but didn't stick with it. She lives with me, so it's not like she doesn't have the encouragement or anything like that... She has tons of health problems due to her weight, but she won't admit that): "What's your goal weight?" My reply, "Well, I have a bunch of mini goals, but my final goal is to get to my normal BMI range which for me is about 135 lbs." Her response, "oh, I didn't realize you were going to lose that much." My thoughts, "Why shouldn't I want to be of a healthy BMI?"

From my husband (he's allowed these comments, because he's my biggest supporter! He loves me no matter what, and I probably wouldn't be as successful if it wasn't for his encouragements.. He's working on losing weight as well), after working out on the treadmill for a few weeks, his comment to me was, "Your legs don't look like cottage cheese anymore." Thanks a lot hubby... lol

Best joke between my hubby and myself: He can now pick me up. We both agree that it's fun (in more ways than one :wink: ). I make the joke to him that when I get down to my goal weight that I'll be "fun size"!
  • Wickedbookworm1977
    Options
    Honestly I could throw out tons of good, bad, and innapropriate weight loss/and gain compliments (or back handed compliments) I have gotten. I think the most annoying are when people insist that you are "too thin" in ways that are usually not just "Wow, you're too thin" but more like "When was the last time you ate?"

Though with what you experienced I did experience that with some of my ex high school class mates and that was a good feeling. However that was more about personal changes than weight loss. I can definitely get the good feeling of change though. Congrats to your weight loss, may you get many more comments that are in turn compliments. :D

About the "too thin" comment. I HATE that one! If I'm within the weight range for my height and age, I'm not too thin.
  • anonniemouse
    anonniemouse Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Another woman who had worked with me a few years earlier saw me on the street. When I said Hi, she said, "Do I know you?" I told my name, but she kept saying..."No. You're not Sue. I know her, and you're not Sue!" She refused to believe me, even when I told her that I had lost almost 100 pounds. She walked away, think that I was crazy or just playing a rude joke on her.

You are not Sue! LOL! What do you even say to someone when that happens? Prove it with a photo ID? :wink:
  • gnclausen
    Options
    After reaching my weight loss goal today I had told a colleague at work who is also on MFP. Today after lunch I was awarded a Congratulatory ballon and a "Winner" medal by her and a couple of others I had unknowingly inspired here in the office. Not all comments are bad.
  • telt4
    telt4 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Ive been getting baby magazines through the mail! Dont know if someone signed me up as a joke or what!
  • LBNOakland
    LBNOakland Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    After reaching my weight loss goal today I had told a colleague at work who is also on MFP. Today after lunch I was awarded a Congratulatory ballon and a "Winner" medal by her and a couple of others I had unknowingly inspired here in the office. Not all comments are bad.

That is sooo cool!!! So nice of them to encourage you!! WTG, btw!!! :bigsmile:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!