KETONE DIET- what are youir thoughts on it????

Options

Replies

• PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    THIS! Do NOT undergo a low-carb high fat diet. It is a metabolic disruption to undergo ketosis for too long. Your body will become poisoned with ketone bodies, and you will develop ketoacidosis in your blood.

I have a Bachelors in Nutrition. This is one of the main concerns I deal with almost on the daily. You need carbs to survive. Our bodies are not meant to break down fat for the main source of energy. Our brains, muscles, and all cells need glucose. Once all your fat is gone your body will start breaking down proteins, and severe consequences will ensue.

Get your 100 grams AT LEAST of carbs a day by eating whole grains which are rich in fiber, starchy veggies and fruits. Stay away from refined carbohydrates such as white bread, bagels, pasta, etc.

There are so many fallacies in your statement..........

First of all, one will ONLY develop ketoacidosis if they are an uncontrolled diabetic, yes that is a dangerous situation, but has nothing AT ALL to do with being in nutritional induced ketosis.

2nd of all, there is no BIOLOGICAL NEED for carbs whatsoever. Glucose can be manufactured through Gluconeogenesis.

I think someone needs to get a bit more educated about ketosis and the difference between ketosis and ketoacidosis.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    THIS! Do NOT undergo a low-carb high fat diet. It is a metabolic disruption to undergo ketosis for too long. Your body will become poisoned with ketone bodies, and you will develop ketoacidosis in your blood.

I have a Bachelors in Nutrition. This is one of the main concerns I deal with almost on the daily. You need carbs to survive. Our bodies are not meant to break down fat for the main source of energy. Our brains, muscles, and all cells need glucose. Once all your fat is gone your body will start breaking down proteins, and severe consequences will ensue.

Get your 100 grams AT LEAST of carbs a day by eating whole grains which are rich in fiber, starchy veggies and fruits. Stay away from refined carbohydrates such as white bread, bagels, pasta, etc.

First of all, one will ONLY develop ketoacidosis if they are an uncontrolled diabetic, yes that is a dangerous situation, but has nothing AT ALL to do with being in nutritional induced ketosis.

2nd of all, there is no BIOLOGICAL NEED for carbs whatsoever. Glucose can be manufactured through Gluconeogenesis.

I think someone needs to get a bit more educated about ketosis and the difference between ketosis and ketoacidosis.

Lol pot kettle on get more educated

What is glucose?
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options

What is glucose?

I am educated enough that I know what I am talking about and you know what she stated is incorrect information.
  • Acg67
    Options

What is glucose?

I am educated enough that I know what I am talking about and you know what she stated is incorrect information.

Then you should know you are also incorrect
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options

What is glucose?

Nothing I stated was incorrect.
  • SwimFan1981
    SwimFan1981 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    Haha - 'science' is bad and quoting it in support of one's argument is now bullying, I see.. I also see a regular thread-hijacker complaining that those annoying 'science' people are hijacking the thread. Amusing.

Ketogenic diets are useful for treating certain neurological disorders - notably seizure disorders, and to a less certain extent, traumatic neuronal injuries. The diet used in these cases is pretty extreme, and I think most recreational adherents are more than likely using a modified version of the clinical approach - low to very low carbohydrate vs. very, very minimal in the clinical version.

The studies that show cumulative adverse effects of sustained high-fat/mod protein/v low carb diets are mostly based on the clinical version, so although there are solid data indicating problems with kidney function, problems with cognitive impairment and problems with circulation, these may not apply to recreational adherents.

I think it's dubious as to whether many recreational adherents really spend much time in ketosis at all. Ketosis is not an optimal functional state of the human body and I doubt that the byproducts of ketoacidosis are great for humans long-term. Short-term intervals are probably fine. Persistent ketosis I think is risky. For people who are using it clinically the risks obviously are greatly outweighed by the benefits. But there are probably quite few real benefits to non-pathalogical users, making risk/benefit analysis suggest it's not a good long-term diet.

But if we permit that the diet is 'mostly harmless' to regular dieters, then we need to ask whether it has any specific benefit. It would appear that the weight-loss people report comes from caloric deficit, no surprises there. And to a lesser degree, to effects on satiety associated with fat consumption. However, I see no really unique benefits to offset what is potentially an extremely restrictive and perhaps moderately riskly diet regimen.

I would recommend against it unless the individual is advised to use the diet as part of a clinical treatment plan. To shed some pounds... not worth it.

+1
  • Acg67
    Options

What is glucose?

What is glucose?
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options

oh hey...for the record...I say "woof!" as a way of saying "righty-o!"

I love dogs.

When i look at taso's back, it makes me go "woof!" *wags tail* *pants* *drools a little*

Perhaps you could reconsider that? A lot of people would think you were calling them a dog like that - same as when people make oinking or mooing sounds at someone, it's to say that the person making the sounds thinks they're a pig or disgustingly fat. So it's more like a form of abusive comment.

Others would just think of an attention seeking 13 year old making animal noises because they think it makes them special and funny.

But it's up to you. The vast majority will ignore you.

I have no interest in the "vast majority" and what's up with the insults? Geez!

Caw! Caw!

ETA: anyone who has seen young Frankenstein knows that "woof!" Is a good thing!
  • Lt_Starbuck
    Lt_Starbuck Posts: 576 Member
    Options

What is glucose?

What is glucose?

♥ you right now
  • Lt_Starbuck
    Lt_Starbuck Posts: 576 Member
    Options

I love dogs.

When i look at taso's back, it makes me go "woof!" *wags tail* *pants* *drools a little*

Perhaps you could reconsider that? A lot of people would think you were calling them a dog like that - same as when people make oinking or mooing sounds at someone, it's to say that the person making the sounds thinks they're a pig or disgustingly fat. So it's more like a form of abusive comment.

Others would just think of an attention seeking 13 year old making animal noises because they think it makes them special and funny.

Caw! Caw!

Frau Blucher!!!!!!!!!
  • xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Personally, I couldn't do it. I tried for about a month, but I realized that all the foods I love (mostly fruit, oatmeal, greek yogurt) contained carbs and that I didn't eat low enough carbs to be classified as the low-carb diet. I switched to clean eating, which honestly is similar because I don't eat bread or processed carbs, but I just couldn't stick with the low carb forever. Good luck to anyone that can! I have heard that if you can stick with it and make it a lifestyle that it works wonders.
  • xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    BTW this poor OP probably didn't know what she was getting into posting this question haha.
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I'm on a ketogenic diet, low carb, high fat diet myself.
    I try to keep my net carbs (carbs minus fiber) under 20-25grams a day and try to do 65% fat, 30% protein and 5% carbs of my calorie intake :)
    My Diary is Public, so anyone and everyone can see what I eat, it may not be the most perfect example of keto/lowcarb, but It's what works for me at the moment :tongue: Everyone and anyone, feel free to poke around/add me if you'd like :blushing:
    My success is listed below, and my boyfriend has lost 51lbs on the Keto diet himself (he's been on it longer than i have) so it's been really really successful in our opinion :happy:
    Try to research it first if your still thinking about it, low carb is NOT for everyone, but it does work out for some of us. :wink:

I had a look in your diary because I have been interested in low carb... but you actually tend to eat about 40+ g carbs (at least the 10 days I looked at) and some of the things logged don't even have the macros (chicken wrapped in bacon has 0 proton, fat and carbs?)

I don't want to be critical because I think it's great you have goals etc but make sure that you reassess what your diary tells you, not what you /want/ it to tell you. I always go on about avoiding sugars but then I end up having my chocolate every day so instead I just tend to not eat fruit/anything containing sugar so that this fits my meal plans.

I personally couldn't eat red meat every day, I think I would be stuck trying to go to the toilet all the time with no success if it were the case haha! Bring on lots of veggies :D
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options

I love dogs.

Caw! Caw!

No insults there.

Just letting you know that your innocent animal noises could be interpreted differently by different people. Some (many, as not everyone has seen the old movie you now refer to by explanation) could be very hurt by your choice of comments. Plenty would make a negative judgement of you as a result. In real life, you could find yourself in potentially awkward situations as a result.

If I were insulting you, not that I intend to do so, it would be a whole lot more obvious than explaining how your actions could be offensive to others.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Woof!
  • christym724
    christym724 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am not following any "diet" per se. But, I did adjust my goal on MFP so that my carbs were 30%, protein was 50%, and fat was 20% of my daily intake and it seems to be working so far. I have been doing this since Wednesday and lost 2 lbs. I know Adkins only wants you to take in like 25 carbs for the day, and I am getting like 80. I also just read an article that said to keep your water and potassium consumption up. So, I will make sure to do that too.
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options

I love dogs.

Caw! Caw!

No insults there.

Just letting you know that your innocent animal noises could be interpreted differently by different people. Some (many, as not everyone has seen the old movie you now refer to by explanation) could be very hurt by your choice of comments. Plenty would make a negative judgement of you as a result. In real life, you could find yourself in potentially awkward situations as a result.

If I were insulting you, not that I intend to do so, it would be a whole lot more obvious than explaining how your actions could be offensive to others.

Woof, woof, barroooooo!

Incidentally, the above comments are the emulation of what my happy beagle says when she's on a scent, or enjoying life as a dog with a very busy nose. To me, her bays are music to my ears.

Offense is subjective -- what one person feels is offensive might be music to another person's ears.
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options

I love dogs.

Caw! Caw!

No insults there.

Woof, woof, barroooooo!

Incidentally, the above comments are the emulation of what my happy beagle says when she's on a scent, or enjoying life as a dog with a very busy nose. To me, her bays are music to my ears.

Offense is subjective -- what one person feels is offensive might be music to another person's ears.

Beagles are great. Mine sounded more like 'owowowowowoooohmmmmpffff'.

But I wouldn't imitate his noises when walking past a girl or woman, lest she was upset or angry by thinking I was calling her a dog.
  • CorvusCorax77
    Options

I love dogs.

Caw! Caw!

No insults there.

Woof, woof, barroooooo!

Beagles are great. Mine sounded more like 'owowowowowoooohmmmmpffff'.

But I wouldn't imitate his noises when walking past a girl or woman, lest she was upset or angry by thinking I was calling her a dog.

haha. Well, I also don't go into forums and just say "woof" at random girls. I agree that the poster who did that was being a douche.

I was just saying, ya know, in defense of other posicore folks who many "woof" here and there excitedly that it is not universally an insult!

*wags tail*

*runs off to play!*
  • CorvusCorax77
    Options

Frau Blucher!!!!!!!!!

neiiighhh!!!!!