The brave and the human

Options

Replies

• skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    Hope this link works.

430441_4446849823104_1882740537_n.jpg

Who is the hottie in the bikini? ;) That is some gorgeous ink you have there too!
    Oh and I am so envious of the fact that you can swing a triangle bikini top!

Every time I try one of those on, I get all sad and moody and leave the changeroom depressed. I don't know WHY I want one so badly, probably because it doesn't suit me and I'm wired to try the impossible, but regardless...

Hi, my name is Sandy, and I have triangle-bikini-top envy

Thank you so much for the compliments! That is my first ever string bikini. I'm still a little terrified every time I put it on.

I am seriously envious of your ability to do a backbend! Flexibility has never been my strong point, no matter how much yoga I do. I can barely touch my toes!
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    So... I feel your pain, but in a slightly different way.
    I don't have smoooooooth legs.. I get the bumps too from hair follicles that don't always come in as desired. I have mitigated some of that by trying to do a quick shave in the shower every morning (use conditioner - super fast, rarely nicks, and cheap like borscht).

My bigger problem is my scars.

I live in MOSQUITO LAND... my god these creatures carry you off in the summer. I react to their bites, and by mid summer my legs are a mess of bumps in various stages of healing. By fall, my legs are covered in scars. I've struggled with it all my life and nothing helps it. I tend to wear pants even when it's hot because I am ashamed of people asking me what is wrong with my legs.

So, together, we have to find a way to stop caring and smile through it. :-D

At least know you are not alone!

i, too, have hair follicle scars! they're, strangely, on my belly button area, and i was SO self-conscious about them that i decided to get a cover up tattoo...which i love! but i still see my scars through them. also, i can't shave my bikini area without causing ingrown hairs....and i have a plucking problem. i pluck at hairs...and then sometimes cause infections. it's bad. i know. either way, i feel terribly uncomfortable showing my bikini line to ANYONE. good thing it's not bathing suit season yet, and i'm as single as single can be!!!

sandy, i scar EVERYWHERE!
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    I don't have smoooooooth legs.. I get the bumps too from hair follicles that don't always come in as desired. I have mitigated some of that by trying to do a quick shave in the shower every morning (use conditioner - super fast, rarely nicks, and cheap like borscht).

I live in MOSQUITO LAND... my god these creatures carry you off in the summer. I react to their bites, and by mid summer my legs are a mess of bumps in various stages of healing. By fall, my legs are covered in scars. I've struggled with it all my life and nothing helps it. I tend to wear pants even when it's hot because I am ashamed of people asking me what is wrong with my legs.

i, too, have hair follicle scars! they're, strangely, on my belly button area, and i was SO self-conscious about them that i decided to get a cover up tattoo...which i love! but i still see my scars through them. also, i can't shave my bikini area without causing ingrown hairs....and i have a plucking problem. i pluck at hairs...and then sometimes cause infections. it's bad. i know. either way, i feel terribly uncomfortable showing my bikini line to ANYONE. good thing it's not bathing suit season yet, and i'm as single as single can be!!!

OMG the bikini area is the worst! WHAT TO DO!?! shave - bikini rash... don't shave - horrible jungle... nuh uh!
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Ok, I said I would come back and post. Tried last night but wouldn't let me.

I really hate my smile, it's crooked, makes my nose look huge, and shows the bags under my eyes.
    165c6215-6e67-4ce9-b2f8-4d7967d0788d_zpsc7060313.jpg

And this one just shows how big I allowed myself to get, never showed this one to anyone. Surprised I even kept it.
    899de233-59af-4550-86ac-6c53e03a7a62_zpsa04c25d7.jpg

Okay, you're gorgeous! I don't think it looks like you have bags - your smile just reaches your eyes and that's a good thing! Makes your whole face light up! You have a beautiful smile and I don't see anything wrong with your nose. :flowerforyou:
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options

Agh, I have a plucking problem too! I did it with my eyebrows and they got infected. Luckily my face isn't scarred but my eyebrows don't grow anymore. I still have some but not much and I have to fill them in. I also plucked my bikini area and underarms and got horrible scars but they've faded with time. There are a couple you can still see but I've learned to just let it go. As much as I can anyway.
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    This picture was taken after I got pulled from the audience to participate in the introduction in a production called "Lunar Labyrinth." (It's a previously unpublished story by Neil Gaiman, and a lot of my friends were in it, and it was awesome)

I hate this picture. I have lost over 100 pounds and I STILL look like this. *sigh*

(and yes I am clutching my wine and my phone for dear life LMFAO)

ETA: I LOVE all of you brave, beautiful people. <3

309257_575807689113644_1625873165_n.jpg
  • silvergurl518
    Options
    This picture was taken after I got pulled from the audience to participate in the introduction in a production called "Lunar Labyrinth." (It's a previously unpublished story by Nail Gaiman, and a lot of my friends were in it, and it was awesome)

I hate this picture. I have lost over 100 pounds and I STILL look like this. *sigh*

(and yes I am clutching my wine and my phone for dear life LMFAO)

ETA: I LOVE all of you brave, beautiful people. <3

309257_575807689113644_1625873165_n.jpg

i've always thought you were beautiful and have wanted to be friends with you! can we be pals? :)
  • emilyc85
    emilyc85 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    My dress was so tight by the time I got married that it was let out to the absolute MAX! And it was so tight that it was folding over on itself because I could not move :(

e3265a44-16f0-45d4-af8c-d60f2fe0aec8_zpsbc8c7484.jpg

Double chin, fat and flabby arms, and that fat pushing over the edge of my dress :/

d0f8f083-0435-4e77-868f-1c942df24c25_zpsb80ff1a4.jpg

All I can see is this one is my back-fat pushing the edge of my dress causing it to roll :(

9cd0cd6b-e07c-4b18-9ad9-23c9699e8522_zpsc9dfa544.jpg

This one is at halloween at LEAST 15 pounds heavier than the wedding :/ No make-up or nothing

9fca91e0-4d7e-4f31-826a-dc1cacb0a8b6_zps58f68ab2.jpg

I had a wonderful wedding and am so happy with my husband, but I can't look at those pictures without thinking that I let myself gain so much that I almost didn't fit my dress. Also, that I was damn near at my heaviest :/ I try to accept what happened, because it was my fault after all :p I just look back and wished that I had kept the weight off when I had initially lost it all :p
    Sorry this is so long but I couldn't decide on just one :p

EDIT: I am very happy with 99% of my wedding photos, and I was so happy that day. These are just the few that I don't like in one way, but as I look at them I can't help but see how FREAKING thrilled I was to be getting married to my husband and that makes me like them :) I am a work in progress and I will get there and I need to stop beating myself up :D Thanks for this post! I really needed to see the good in those photos!
  • MireyGal76
    Options
    My dress was so tight by the time I got married that it was let out to the absolute MAX! And it was so tight that it was folding over on itself because I could not move :(

e3265a44-16f0-45d4-af8c-d60f2fe0aec8_zpsbc8c7484.jpg

Double chin, fat and flabby arms, and that fat pushing over the edge of my dress :/

d0f8f083-0435-4e77-868f-1c942df24c25_zpsb80ff1a4.jpg

All I can see is this one is my back-fat pushing the edge of my dress causing it to roll :(

9cd0cd6b-e07c-4b18-9ad9-23c9699e8522_zpsc9dfa544.jpg

This one is at halloween at LEAST 15 pounds heavier than the wedding :/ No make-up or nothing

9fca91e0-4d7e-4f31-826a-dc1cacb0a8b6_zps58f68ab2.jpg

I had a wonderful wedding and am so happy with my husband, but I can't look at those pictures without thinking that I let myself gain so much that I almost didn't fit my dress. Also, that I was damn near at my heaviest :/ I try to accept what happened, because it was my fault after all :p I just look back and wished that I had kept the weight off when I had initially lost it all :p

EDIT: I am very happy with 99% of my wedding photos, and I was so happy that day. These are just the few that I don't like in one way, but as I look at them I can't help but see how FREAKING thrilled I was to be getting married to my husband and that makes me like them :) I am a work in progress and I will get there and I need to stop beating myself up :D Thanks for this post! I really needed to see the good in those photos!

you were a gorgeous bride!!! Absolutely stunning! That first pic? Your figure looks amazing in that dress! I am really speechless... I don't see anything wrong with it at ALL.

as for the 'fat rolling over the top of your dress'... you should see me in my corset... ok maybe not, but I get the same thing... I have tried on some outfits where I put them back because I look like I have somethin WEIRD going on behind me.

The only think I think I'd say about the second picture is that it is a bit washed out... if you took it and adjusted the brightness and contrast to make the colors richer, I'd totally love it.

The last pic... I can't see 'size' because the top is dark, so that's not an issue, and your face is so radiant that I get lost in the smile.

You're being very hard on yourself! Stunning lady all around!
  • emilyc85
    emilyc85 Posts: 450 Member
    Options

you were a gorgeous bride!!! Absolutely stunning! That first pic? Your figure looks amazing in that dress! I am really speechless... I don't see anything wrong with it at ALL.

as for the 'fat rolling over the top of your dress'... you should see me in my corset... ok maybe not, but I get the same thing... I have tried on some outfits where I put them back because I look like I have somethin WEIRD going on behind me.

The only think I think I'd say about the second picture is that it is a bit washed out... if you took it and adjusted the brightness and contrast to make the colors richer, I'd totally love it.

The last pic... I can't see 'size' because the top is dark, so that's not an issue, and your face is so radiant that I get lost in the smile.

You're being very hard on yourself! Stunning lady all around!

Thank you so much for your very kind words :D I really appreciate them! You are such a sweetheart!
  • silvergurl518
    Options
    here, mirey/sandy. these are for you:

1-27-a-sweetheart-reminder.jpg

you have the body of a fitness model and a heart of gold. this thread is so uplifting!!!!!!!!!!

MOST RECENT POSTER: YOU WERE A BEAUTIFUL BRIDE!!!! congratulations on finding your special someone. i'm still on that journey....
  • MireyGal76
    Options
    here, mirey/sandy. these are for you:

1-27-a-sweetheart-reminder.jpg

you have the body of a fitness model and a heart of gold. this thread is so uplifting!!!!!!!!!!

MOST RECENT POSTER: YOU WERE A BEAUTIFUL BRIDE!!!! congratulations on finding your special someone. i'm still on that journey....

e33399452c514014b9b52db4c5bb9aef@2x.gif
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    Dear MireyGal & Everyone who posted in this thread,

Yesterday a NSV I had was because of you guys. All you lovely, kind, beautiful people. I love the way workout crops look, I envy all the girls at the gym that wear them. And though I have tried on COUNTLESS pairs I never bought any of them because I looked in the mirror and saw the dreaded "double butt" and my cankels. I tried on yet ANOTHER pair on monday, and as I was in the change-room looking in the mirror I thought a few things:

1. Remember all those ladies in that thread, remember how many of them shared the others "problems", I am not the only one.

2. No one is looking at your *kitten* at the gym, and if they are by some chance, they aren't looking at it so intently that they see your "double butt"

3. You have cankles. They are not made of fat (you've made your husband check), you can't lose bone, they will always be there, get over it. Plus, no one is "checking out" your ankles.

4. Remember AGAIN, all those beautiful women that posted in that thread and think about how what they saw were insecurities are things you would most likely never have even noticed if they hadn't pointed it out.

SO, because of all you amazing people, I bought them. And I wore them to the gym last night. And no one laughed at me, no seams split open, and this morning the sun came up and proved that the world didnt end.

So thank you :flowerforyou:
  • silvergurl518
    Options

SO, because of all you amazing people, I bought them. And I wore them to the gym last night. And no one laughed at me, no seams split open, and this morning the sun came up and proved that the world didnt end.

AND I BET YOU TOTALLY ROCKED THEM TOO :) XOXOOX
  • MireyGal76
    Options
    Dear MireyGal & Everyone who posted in this thread,

Yesterday a NSV I had was because of you guys. All you lovely, kind, beautiful people. I love the way workout crops look, I envy all the girls at the gym that wear them. And though I have tried on COUNTLESS pairs I never bought any of them because I looked in the mirror and saw the dreaded "double butt" and my cankels. I tried on yet ANOTHER pair on monday, and as I was in the change-room looking in the mirror I thought a few things:

1. Remember all those ladies in that thread, remember how many of them shared the others "problems", I am not the only one.

2. No one is looking at your *kitten* at the gym, and if they are by some chance, they aren't looking at it so intently that they see your "double butt"

3. You have cankles. They are not made of fat (you've made your husband check), you can't lose bone, they will always be there, get over it. Plus, no one is "checking out" your ankles.

4. Remember AGAIN, all those beautiful women that posted in that thread and think about how what they saw were insecurities are things you would most likely never have even noticed if they hadn't pointed it out.

I am crying now.. in earnest.

Thank you so very much for sharing this. *BIGGEST HUGS EVER!!!*
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options

Amazing, right? :D

Props.
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    I just felt it was really important to let you know that this little act of bravery you posted wasn't just a thread you posted on a site, it did work it's way out into the real world and turned into something very positive.
  • RJ74
    RJ74 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    You all are amazing women (and men). What an eye-opening thread. I always thought it was just ME who had all these terrible thoughts about myself. Anyways, I sent my mom the following note after a telephone conversation with her about how horrible I thought I looked in something. (She kept trying to reassure m that I didn't look horrible, in fact it was flattering. But I kept thinking, "She's my mom, of course she thinks that!") I try and remind myself of this everyday, and, of course, some days are easier than others!

While I was on my walk this morning, I started thinking about how negative my "body image" is. It got me wondering how one goes about getting a POSITIVE one. What I came up with was that for every part of my body, I would think of one positive thing that I couldn't have done without it. For example, my legs. Instead of thinking "my knees are weak, my thighs are chubby, etc." I made myself think of all they do for me. They have walked me down the aisle at my wedding, they have helped me get to my crying babies in the middle of the night, they have taken me walking around some of the most amazing, beautiful places that God has created, they have allowed me to run around with my boys playing soccer or football or tag. Once I started thinking about it, I realized that there are alot more things I CAN do because of my legs than that I CAN'T do.
    Our bodies are amazing things that God has given us to take care of. They have grown babies, given birth to them and nourished them for the first part of their lives. Our arms have hugged and carried and been thrown up in joy. Our hands have clapped and held and comforted. Our mouths have smiled and laughed and kissed and sang. Our eyes have seen amazing things from a babies smile to the Grand Canyon. Our ears let us hear our kids laughing and our husbands say "I love you" and birds singing and beautiful music.
    Who are we to criticize them?? We are wonderfully and fearfully made by God. Our wrinkles and stretch marks are well-earned. I think that if I can just make it a practice to turn my thinking around to the positive, I won't struggle with the negative.

Just wanted to remind you of this too! :)

Sorry for the length of my post, but this thread made me remember this!

Oh, and here's my horrible pic. Our 15th anniversary trip to Antigua. Fabulous trip, getting ready to go ziplining over the rainforest in this picture. All I see is fat arms, slumpy posture and bad hair.

de164d3b-dd74-4a20-ad7d-add410bd40a6_zps914713a4.jpg
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    I know that im late to the party but I just saw this thread today.
    I get told all the time how beautiful I am, how great my shape is, etc but I don't see it. I only see so many flaws. Too many to count, actually so I had a hard time pinpointing just one aspect to put here.

In the end, my manly muscular legs won out. 26.25 inches.

5RANWNzl.jpg?1

But, you know what? They're d@mn strong and I'm trying desperately to learn how to love them along with the rest of me!

Edit: That was huge. Just adjusted image size.
  • MireyGal76
    Options
    You all are amazing women (and men). What an eye-opening thread. I always thought it was just ME who had all these terrible thoughts about myself. Anyways, I sent my mom the following note after a telephone conversation with her about how horrible I thought I looked in something. (She kept trying to reassure m that I didn't look horrible, in fact it was flattering. But I kept thinking, "She's my mom, of course she thinks that!") I try and remind myself of this everyday, and, of course, some days are easier than others!

While I was on my walk this morning, I started thinking about how negative my "body image" is. It got me wondering how one goes about getting a POSITIVE one. What I came up with was that for every part of my body, I would think of one positive thing that I couldn't have done without it. For example, my legs. Instead of thinking "my knees are weak, my thighs are chubby, etc." I made myself think of all they do for me. They have walked me down the aisle at my wedding, they have helped me get to my crying babies in the middle of the night, they have taken me walking around some of the most amazing, beautiful places that God has created, they have allowed me to run around with my boys playing soccer or football or tag. Once I started thinking about it, I realized that there are alot more things I CAN do because of my legs than that I CAN'T do.
    Our bodies are amazing things that God has given us to take care of. They have grown babies, given birth to them and nourished them for the first part of their lives. Our arms have hugged and carried and been thrown up in joy. Our hands have clapped and held and comforted. Our mouths have smiled and laughed and kissed and sang. Our eyes have seen amazing things from a babies smile to the Grand Canyon. Our ears let us hear our kids laughing and our husbands say "I love you" and birds singing and beautiful music.
    Who are we to criticize them?? We are wonderfully and fearfully made by God. Our wrinkles and stretch marks are well-earned. I think that if I can just make it a practice to turn my thinking around to the positive, I won't struggle with the negative.

Just wanted to remind you of this too! :)

Sorry for the length of my post, but this thread made me remember this!

Oh, and here's my horrible pic. Our 15th anniversary trip to Antigua. Fabulous trip, getting ready to go ziplining over the rainforest in this picture. All I see is fat arms, slumpy posture and bad hair.

de164d3b-dd74-4a20-ad7d-add410bd40a6_zps914713a4.jpg

wonderful post and the length was perfect.

thank you for sharing - geeze I cry every time I come back to this thread!!!

As for your pic... all I see is a happy couple in an incredibly stunning environment! I see smiles and radiance. I see people who care for each other doing something together.. and yes a bit of me is envious for that!

I didn't notice your hair or your posture, and it's a rainforest! Who's gonna have nice hair in the rainforest! :-D

You looked wonderful!