Is bread generally fattening?

Options
Just curious since I binged on 4 biscuits.

Replies

• CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Man I hope not cause I blow though a couple loaves a week and a pack of Bagel thins..... lol No but seriously it really depends on what kind of bread you buy.. I buy 45 calorie a slice light wheat bread and the bagel thins are 110 calories a bagel... There are plenty of breads higher in calories it is more a personal choice on how much you choice to allow per slice.... Best of Luck...
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    No it doesn't... but if you eat too much... sure ;)
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    No - most of my calories come from carbs (like bread and pasta) and I've never been overweight. I try to stick to whole grains as much as possible for the fiber, though. It's only a problem if you eat too much or have some sort of medical issue like insulin resistance.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    only if you eat too much.

however there are other negative effects of refined, enriched flour products like white bread and many commercially produced wheat breads.
  • jennacollette
    Options
    Believe it or not your body needs these carbs ! Anything brown is good, (whole grain or whole wheat). Whole grain is actually healthier.
  • slroggemann
    slroggemann Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I would stick to whole grains. Obviously if you're eating a big excess of calories in bread, then sure, like anything else, it'll be fattening. In moderation, though, it won't be.
  • silvermist18903
    silvermist18903 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Oh, okay. Thanks everyone!
  • ArtGeek22
    ArtGeek22 Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    Anything is fattening in excess but the type of bread also plays a role. For example, whole wheat/grain (more complex carbs) is better that white bread (mostly simple carbs). But we all slip up! So don't worry too much :smile:
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    Believe it or not your body needs these carbs ! Anything brown is good, (whole grain or whole wheat). Whole grain is actually healthier.

this is debatable... 1) you can argue grains are bad in general, but if you don't wanna go that far 2) many "whole wheat" products are enriched white flour dyed brown and contain high fructose corn syrup and other less-than-healthy ingredients
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Eating bread within your calorie and macro goals - no. Eating bread at a caloric surplus - absolutely yes, it is "fattening". Same goes with any other food you consume.
  • ajhugz
    ajhugz Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Yes bread is fattening. Bread can be more fattening than fat if you eat too much of it. Some breads are worse than others but flour and wheat products aren't the best for out bodies. Yes you can have it in moderation but its best to get most of your carbs from veggies. I try to keep my carbs at 100g per day, no more than 150. As long as you maintain your caloric goals you should lose weight regardless of what you eat but I would do some research into the glycemic index to get a better understanding of how bread makes you fat.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    Yes bread is fattening. Bread can be more fattening than fat if you eat too much of it. Some breads are worse than others but flour and wheat products aren't the best for out bodies. Yes you can have it in moderation but its best to get most of your carbs from veggies. I try to keep my carbs at 100g per day, no more than 150. As long as you maintain your caloric goals you should lose weight regardless of what you eat but I would do some research into the glycemic index to get a better understanding of how bread makes you fat.

totes.

especially the Glycemic Index part. (or for a better comparison, check out the glycemic load of breads vs other foods)
  • Sunny____
    Sunny____ Posts: 214
    Options
    I believe bread is fattening bc of the way the body processes it. The package will say low fat and low sugar, but it processes in the body as a sugar. That is what makes if fattening. If you must eat bread or english muffins or wraps, etc chose Ezekiel bread. It is considered a protein by the body (equivalent to an egg) according to the package and has several amino acids in it (can't recall how many without looking it up). It is sold in the health food stores.

Just a tip, I noticed it does best when kept in the freezer, otherwise it spoils really fast. It's YUMMO!
  • ajhugz
    ajhugz Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I forgot to add that when eating products with wheat or flour I read that it helps to eat something high in fiber along with it. If you have hulu there's a documentary called "Fat Head" and its really informal and entertaining.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    I avoid it like the plague and if I DO eat any bread, it's the size of a postage stamp...a taste, really.
  • Justjamie0418
    Justjamie0418 Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    I eat whole Grain light bread. Not as tasty.. but works for sandwiches and toast.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Eating bread within your calorie and macro goals - no. Eating bread at a caloric surplus - absolutely yes, it is "fattening". Same goes with any other food you consume.

^^^ This, bread is not more fattening that fat, that's total BS.

If it fits in your calorie goal it will be fine - it doesn't magically turn into fat or suddenly gain more calories.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Yes bread is fattening. Bread can be more fattening than fat if you eat too much of it.

NO, excess calories become fat - bread does not magically become fat unless you go above your needed calories. Same as everything else.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

^^^ This, bread is not more fattening that fat, that's total BS.

If it fits in your calorie goal it will be fine - it doesn't magically turn into fat or suddenly gain more calories.

Seconded.

Also, 4 biscuits isn't a binge. It might be a little more than you planned, but it's not that bad.
  • PurpleTina
    PurpleTina Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Eat too much of anything and it is 'fattening'.

Eat moderate portions of sensible, healthy food, at a deficit to your calorie requirement, and you will lose weight.

Not sure I could run 15-20 miles a week without the 'fuel' that I eat, including bread every day. (I eat biscuits too, occasionally:bigsmile: ).