weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=319
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    It's pretty simple.

Eat less than you burn - lose weight
    Eat less processed and high GI foods - lose fat
    Eat less calories while eating a high GI diet - lose muscle, gain fat

If you want to lose weight, eat whatever you want. If you want to look good, reduce the sugar.
    No. High GI does not negate the laws of thermodynamics. Given adequate protein intake, your statement is incorrect.
  • CoachDreesTraining
    CoachDreesTraining Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Yes.

No
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    It's pretty simple.

If you want to lose weight, eat whatever you want. If you want to look good, reduce the sugar.
    No. High GI does not negate the laws of thermodynamics. Given adequate protein intake, your statement is incorrect.

^ This is correct.

Glycemic index is really not very important under most contexts.

https://api.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/532251-let-s-talk-about-the-gi-index
    http://alanaragon.com/glycemic-index
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    It's pretty simple.

Please stop and do some more research.. and listen to those here who have shown that your information is in fact false.
  • Heyyleigh
    Heyyleigh Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    ha, if u asked the question... u know the answer....
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Gosh, don't people get bored of repeating their arguments over and over and over every month as each repeat of an already done to death topic comes up ? Seems wasteful of time and energy, to say the least.
  • CoachDreesTraining
    CoachDreesTraining Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I encourage everyone to do some research on the topic before commenting and possibly effecting other people's decisions.

Please do some research on sugar's effects on:

Testosterone
    HGH
    Leptin
    Glucagon
    Thyroxine
    Epinephrine
  • Sunny____
    Sunny____ Posts: 214
    Options
    Like I said, what you put into your body affects how many calories you burn. The second, and more important thing to consider is how insulin shuts off the fat burning hormones. This results in skinny- at, or just regular fat
    This is the same point Dr. Joel Fuhrman said two nights ago on a show I watched.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Gosh, don't people get bored of repeating their arguments over and over and over every month as each repeat of an already done to death topic comes up ? Seems wasteful of time and energy, to say the least.

Correcting misinformation does not seem like a waste of time to me.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    It's pretty simple.

^ This is correct.

Glycemic index is really not very important under most contexts.

https://api.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/532251-let-s-talk-about-the-gi-index
    http://alanaragon.com/glycemic-index

^^good reads.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    I encourage everyone to do some research on the topic before commenting and possibly effecting other people's decisions.

Please do some research on sugar's effects on:

Testosterone
    HGH
    Leptin
    Glucagon
    Thyroxine
    Epinephrine

I would encourage you to do the same sir.
  • Sunny____
    Options
    Like I said, what you put into your body affects how many calories you burn. The second, and more important thing to consider is how insulin shuts off the fat burning hormones. This results in skinny- at, or just regular fat

And I ask again, in a calorie deficit, what happens to this fat? Are you saying that I will start metabolizing muscle even though I'm strength training?
  • skiersteve12345
    skiersteve12345 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    i heard your heart will explode but who really knows
  • ashumeow
    ashumeow Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Just curious since I binged on 4 biscuits.

No way. =D
  • Sunny____
    Options
    It's pretty simple.

This is how I understand what he is saying:
    1. If you eat less than you burn, you lose weight. HOWEVER, WHAT you eat determines WHAT you lose (muscle or fat).

2. If you eat less processed foods and less high GI foods you will lose fat. High GI foods are white bread, white rice, white potatoes. If you all think it wont' make you fat to eat white rice, white bread and white potatoes then raise your hand if these things are often included in your diary. How many of you who raised your hand have a stomach which is not flabby and contains excess fat?

3. Eat less calories than you burn yet most of those foods are high GI foods you will lose muscle and gain fat because you are not getting enough protein due to your calorie deficit and you are eating GI foods to fill those calories. Your body then turns to your muscle fibers and breaks them down to supply the rest of your tissues with the amino acids, or protein building blocks, it needs. Your cells then use these amino acids to synthesize new proteins you require.

So can bread be fattening? It does nothing healthy for you. It does break down as a sugar, but not the same as when protein breaks down as a sugar. That is two entirely different things. One does good things for your body and the other bad.
  • karenhray7
    karenhray7 Posts: 219 Member
    Options

And I ask again, in a calorie deficit, what happens to this fat? Are you saying that I will start metabolizing muscle even though I'm strength training?

Without getting into a serious biochem lesson...
    1. In a energy (caloric) deficit, your body will use glycogen (energy stored in muscle tissue and liver) before it uses triglycerides (energy stored in fat); glycogen is short term storage, triglycerides are long term, and your body wants to be as efficient as possible.

2. After glycogen has been depleted, triglycerides are released into the blood stream and converted for energy.

3. If you're body is receiving an overabundance of simple/refined carbohydrates, they will be stored as triglycerides.

4. Adequate protein intake will allow you to maintain your muscle mass and replenish glycogen stores.

If you want deeper science, try here: http://www.elmhurst.edu/~chm/vchembook/5900verviewmet.html

Does that help?
  • SideSteel
    Options
    It's pretty simple.

This is how I understand what he is saying and I agree:
    1. If you eat less than you burn, you lose weight. HOWEVER, WHAT you eat determines WHAT you lose (muscle or fat).

2. If you eat less processed foods and less high GI foods you will lose fat. High GI foods are white bread, white rice, white potatoes. If you all think it wont' make you fat to eat white rice, white bread and white potatoes then raise your hand if these things are often included in your diary. How many of you who raised your hand have a stomach which is not flabby and contains excess fat?

I eat several high GI foods. The glycemic index is irrelevant under the majority of contexts for a variety of reasons that have been explained in links that you must not have clicked on yet, but for starters here you go:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/532251-let-s-talk-about-the-gi-index

Please note: There are links to actual research in the above. Yes it is an MFP post but click on it and read the attached peer reviewed research as it is very relevant to this discussion and should clear up your misconceptions about GI.

I do not have a flabby gut.
    3. Eat less calories than you burn yet most of those foods are high GI foods you will lose muscle and gain fat because you are not getting enough protein due to your calorie deficit and you are eating GI foods to fill those calories. your body turns to your muscle fibers and breaks them down to supply the rest of your tissues with the amino acids, or protein building blocks, it needs. Your cells then use these amino acids to synthesize new proteins you require.

One can eat at a deficit with high GI carbohydrates and still consume adequate protein to maintain muscle mass.
    So can bread be fattening? It does nothing healthy for you. It does break down as a sugar, but not the same as when protein breaks down as a sugar.

The manner in which it breaks down isn't of much consequence when you're talking about net fat storage or net fat oxidation.
  • Sunny____
    Options
    There you have it folks. Listen to the member above and. Eat white bread, eat white rice, eat white potatoes and be healthy, lean and sexy. Thanks for sharing. The world will be a much better place now that members are armed with your info.

I would feel extremely guilty if I sided with telling overweight members to not worry about eating "high GI" foods. That's almost mean.