Is bread generally fattening?

Options

Replies

• aaronlawrenc
    aaronlawrenc Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    1. four biscuits is not a binge. I doubt it even qualifies as overeating.

Yes, four biscuits in one sitting is ridiculous - it's four servings in one sitting! Therefore, it is considered over eating.

Here is a link to a popular brand of biscuits:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/biscuits-pillsbury-biscuits-grands-flaky-layers-buttermilk-55898158

If you were to eat four of them, that would be 680 calories, 28g of fat, 100 carbs, 16g of sugar and a whopping 2160 mg of sodium...four biscuits in one sitting isn't healthy by any stretch of the imagination.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm not saying 1 or even 2 depending on what you're eating it with would be all that bad (everything in moderation) but four? No that's just over eating.

Lol at you telling me how many of a particular item I get to eat. I have to eat 3500-4000 just to maintain and I can't have 4 biscuits? Please.

A 12 oz can of soda can say 2 servings, does that make it true? Serving size is created by marketing departments so they can make calories seem smaller, not by the Lord of How Much I Can Eat

I don't think the OP eats 3500-4000 cal

Exactly. She ate a proportionally smaller amount than I would. I would have had jelly, 6 eggs and bacon along with OJ.

Or 10 more cookies and a pint of ice cream. Have we determined if the OP is eating American biscuits or British biscuits?

Either way, I bet she lives

haha i bet you're right. :smile:

unless shes allergic
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

Yes, four biscuits in one sitting is ridiculous - it's four servings in one sitting! Therefore, it is considered over eating.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/biscuits-pillsbury-biscuits-grands-flaky-layers-buttermilk-55898158

If you were to eat four of them, that would be 680 calories, 28g of fat, 100 carbs, 16g of sugar and a whopping 2160 mg of sodium...four biscuits in one sitting isn't healthy by any stretch of the imagination.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm not saying 1 or even 2 depending on what you're eating it with would be all that bad (everything in moderation) but four? No that's just over eating.

Lol at you telling me how many of a particular item I get to eat. I have to eat 3500-4000 just to maintain and I can't have 4 biscuits? Please.

A 12 oz can of soda can say 2 servings, does that make it true? Serving size is created by marketing departments so they can make calories seem smaller, not by the Lord of How Much I Can Eat

Exactly. She ate a proportionally smaller amount than I would. I would have had jelly, 6 eggs and bacon along with OJ.

Or 10 more cookies and a pint of ice cream. Have we determined if the OP is eating American biscuits or British biscuits?

unless shes allergic

my god. you're right.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Biscuits are made with shortening(fat), and salt. Its not the wheat to worry about.
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Bread isn't any more "fattening" than anything else as long as you account for the calories in your daily total. You may find there are other options that serve the same purpose and have fewer calories. I have been buying the Sara Lee 45 calorie bread and find it just as satisfying as other commercial bread with much fewer calories. I generally only have bread as toast and an occasional sandwich. I have also started using the sandwich thins in place of buns for hamburgers and for sandwiches, they have the same calorie count as one slice of bread and half what a regular bun has. I do like really good artisan breads, like the kind I use to find in Europe, but I don't find that much around here so I don't often get to indulge in that.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    Biscuits are made with shortening(fat), and salt. Its not the wheat to worry about.

the issue isn't that it's fat, it's that it's partially hydrogenated vegetable oil.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Yes.

If it's bread that is filled with whipped cream, dipped in egg yolk, and then deep fried.

Then it's fattening.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    BRO. Weight gain depends on insulin resistance. Someone saying "I always eat bread and never been overweight" means absolutely zero. It depends on your reaction to the sugars most of all, calories only somewhat. Bro Science will lead you down the wrong path.
    At least you got the bolded part right.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

the issue isn't that it's fat, it's that it's partially hydrogenated vegetable oil.

For once, I don't actually disagree with you.....waits till he picks himself up off the floor......imo non partially hydrogenated shortening should be used...problem solved.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Yes.

If it's bread that is filled with whipped cream, dipped in egg yolk, and then deep fried.

Then it's fattening.

Whipped cream :noway:

Now ham and cheese - mmmmmm yes, and delicious at that :love:
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Yes.

Then it's fattening.

Whipped cream :noway:

Now ham and cheese - mmmmmm yes, and delicious at that :love:

Oh yeah!

I like that.

Maybe wrap a little bacon around that *****.

Now we're talking!

:love:
  • CoachReddy
    Options

For once, I don't actually disagree with you.....waits till he picks himself up off the floor......imo non partially hydrogenated shortening should be used...problem solved.

so there ARE some foods that are worse than others? :wink:

(not looking to fight, just joking with you)
  • Iron_Pheonix
    Iron_Pheonix Posts: 191 Member
    Options

Lol
  • kgoodman0108
    Options
    BRO. Weight gain depends on insulin resistance. Someone saying "I always eat bread and never been overweight" means absolutely zero. It depends on your reaction to the sugars most of all, calories only somewhat. Bro Science will lead you down the wrong path.

^This. I've found that I can only lose weight when eliminating bread, pasta and rice from my diet. Everybody processes insulin differently. If you are insulin resistant, your body has too much insulin floating around that it cannot properly absorb. Eating bread (which is HIGH in carbs), just spikes your insulin even more, leading you to gain weight.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    As a Brit (sorry if this is off topic) I don't undersatnd what goes into an American biscuit. Here in England what we call a biscuit you guys call a cookie so I don't guess we have any equivalent of what you call a biscuit (am I making sense here??)
    Can someone please enlighten me,
    H

scone would be the equivalent

Not really - having eaten both. We Brits actually don't have an equivalent. Wish we did :sad:

this might be a brit-vs-american-vs-canadian thing. What we Canucks call a biscuit is pretty much a scone - we use the terms interchangably.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    As a Brit (sorry if this is off topic) I don't undersatnd what goes into an American biscuit. Here in England what we call a biscuit you guys call a cookie so I don't guess we have any equivalent of what you call a biscuit (am I making sense here??)
    Can someone please enlighten me,
    H

scone would be the equivalent

Not really - having eaten both. We Brits actually don't have an equivalent. Wish we did :sad:

this might be a brit-vs-american-vs-canadian thing. What we Canucks call a biscuit is pretty much a scone - we use the terms interchangably.

fight fight fight :laugh:
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

unless shes allergic

QUICK, EVERYBODY PANIC OVER THIS NEW INFORMATION!!!!!!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Clearly he wants to fight.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Clearly he wants to fight.

DAMN RIGHT I DO!
  • ohyousillygirl
    ohyousillygirl Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    tumblr_lfxhohBSKQ1qzyj62.gif
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Individual food items are not inherently lipogenic on their own.