Is bread generally fattening?

Options

Replies

• Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    1. four biscuits is not a binge. I doubt it even qualifies as overeating.

Yes, four biscuits in one sitting is ridiculous - it's four servings in one sitting! Therefore, it is considered over eating.

Here is a link to a popular brand of biscuits:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/biscuits-pillsbury-biscuits-grands-flaky-layers-buttermilk-55898158

If you were to eat four of them, that would be 680 calories, 28g of fat, 100 carbs, 16g of sugar and a whopping 2160 mg of sodium...four biscuits in one sitting isn't healthy by any stretch of the imagination.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm not saying 1 or even 2 depending on what you're eating it with would be all that bad (everything in moderation) but four? No that's just over eating.

I think the problem is biscuits means different thing - to me (British) they mean cookies. So 4 is not a binge.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Bread is not generally fattening.
    Just curious since I binged on 4 biscuits.

That's not what I call a binge!
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    That's a binge? Maybe you were deprived too long.
  • Iron_Pheonix
    Iron_Pheonix Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    A biscuit to an American is like a scone to us in the UK, we would never eat four in one sitting. A biscuit in the UK is like a cookie in the states in which case a lot of people would eat 4 lol.

I personally don't eat any of it. I think whether it will make you fat depend on how carb sensitive/insulin sensitive you are.

If you want it to be part of your diet then make it fit. I'm intolerant to gluten and choose to exclude these items. I'm leaner without them, simple as.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Having read the replies, I learn something every day. So the question is: where is the OPer from?
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    I miss American cinnamon biscuits - I loved them while I was over there. mmmmmmm :love:
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Having read the replies, I learn something every day. So the question is: where is the OPer from?

She's an 18-year old little girl who wants to lose 12 lbs., and needs to be reassured that eating 4 cookies won't make her fat (but it's still probably healthier if she ate something else with more nutrition instead of cookies. IMHO).
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Eating bread within your calorie and macro goals - no. Eating bread at a caloric surplus - absolutely yes, it is "fattening". Same goes with any other food you consume.

^^^ This, bread is not more fattening that fat, that's total BS.

If it fits in your calorie goal it will be fine - it doesn't magically turn into fat or suddenly gain more calories.

Seconded.

Also, 4 biscuits isn't a binge. It might be a little more than you planned, but it's not that bad.

All the above.

Anything in excess is "fattening" ... not certain foods. You could eat under your TDEE but eat a lot of bread and still lose weight.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Eating bread within your calorie and macro goals - no. Eating bread at a caloric surplus - absolutely yes, it is "fattening". Same goes with any other food you consume.

If it fits in your calorie goal it will be fine - it doesn't magically turn into fat or suddenly gain more calories.

Seconded.

Also, 4 biscuits isn't a binge. It might be a little more than you planned, but it's not that bad.

^^^^ Agreed!

Four biscuits covered in sausage gravy is a nice, filling breakfast. Just eat a lighter, high protein lunch/supper and you should be able to fit it in.

and nutritionally deficient...

Bit of a sweeping statement when you do not know what else is included in the lunch and supper.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    You really can't get fat eating veggies (raw that is).

but I would get fat if they are cooked?

vegetarians aren't immune from being overweight if they add caloric density by cooking veggies in oil/butter/etc/etc - doing it that way makes it possible to eat more cal than your TDEE in veggie products.

I know it's shocking, but some people actually steam their veggies without adding all sorts of fats to it.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Yes, four biscuits in one sitting is ridiculous - it's four servings in one sitting! Therefore, it is considered over eating.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/biscuits-pillsbury-biscuits-grands-flaky-layers-buttermilk-55898158

If you were to eat four of them, that would be 680 calories, 28g of fat, 100 carbs, 16g of sugar and a whopping 2160 mg of sodium...four biscuits in one sitting isn't healthy by any stretch of the imagination.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm not saying 1 or even 2 depending on what you're eating it with would be all that bad (everything in moderation) but four? No that's just over eating.

Lol at you telling me how many of a particular item I get to eat. I have to eat 3500-4000 just to maintain and I can't have 4 biscuits? Please.

A 12 oz can of soda can say 2 servings, does that make it true? Serving size is created by marketing departments so they can make calories seem smaller, not by the Lord of How Much I Can Eat
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options

So you can get fat from cooked vegetables?

You can get fat from eating too much fruit or veggies. Which it would be hard to eat at a surplus of just veggies it could be done.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

Seconded.

^^^^ Agreed!

Four biscuits covered in sausage gravy is a nice, filling breakfast. Just eat a lighter, high protein lunch/supper and you should be able to fit it in.

Bit of a sweeping statement when you do not know what else is included in the lunch and supper.

the breakfast is certainly nutritionally deficient. and that's all I was referring to. you know that.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

vegetarians aren't immune from being overweight if they add caloric density by cooking veggies in oil/butter/etc/etc - doing it that way makes it possible to eat more cal than your TDEE in veggie products.

I know it's shocking, but some people actually steam their veggies without adding all sorts of fats to it.

yeah i didn't say they didn't. wow unnecessary hostility much? yes, you can eat as many steamed veggies as you like as well. happy?
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Lol at you telling me how many of a particular item I get to eat. I have to eat 3500-4000 just to maintain and I can't have 4 biscuits? Please.

A 12 oz can of soda can say 2 servings, does that make it true? Serving size is created by marketing departments so they can make calories seem smaller, not by the Lord of How Much I Can Eat

I don't think the OP eats 3500-4000 cal
  • CoachReddy
    Options

You can get fat from eating too much fruit or veggies. Which it would be hard to eat at a surplus of just veggies it could be done.

it really can't. your stomach won't allow it to happen. just try eating 2000 cal of veggies without butter, oil, etc
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options

yeah i didn't say they didn't. wow unnecessary hostility much? yes, you can eat as many steamed veggies as you like as well. happy?

I'm not hostile. I am a little tired of your sweeping generalizations though.
  • rotill
    rotill Posts: 244 Member
    Options

it really can't. your stomach won't allow it to happen. just try eating 2000 cal of veggies without butter, oil, etc

Easy. Doesn't take much avocado and nuts to get way out of my range for what I can eat. No need to add a single drop of olive oil, even if I may want to add some bananas for dessert.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Seconded.

^^^^ Agreed!

the breakfast is certainly nutritionally deficient. and that's all I was referring to. you know that.

Deficient compared to what? And how much nutrition am I supposed to eat in each of my meals? If I'm deficient, whatever that means, can't it be made up for at dinner?
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    I skipped breakfast today, so I'm now nutritionally deficient.

Seconded.

^^^^ Agreed!

Deficient compared to what? And how much nutrition am I supposed to eat in each of my meals? If I'm deficient, whatever that means, can't it be made up for at dinner?
    I sipped breakfast and now I'm nutritionally deficient....what to do.:smile: