Is bread generally fattening?

Options

Replies

• theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    I'm not hostile. I am a little tired of your sweeping generalizations though.
    I'm tired of seeing the endless posts from CR in every thread. Like 13? in this one alone. Make your point and move on. The constant force-feeding of your opinion is egotistical and outrageous. Sorry, I won't be back to engage in the certain argument THIS will set off, but really... if you're confident in your opinions/beliefs, you don't have to shove it down people's throats every time you respond to a thread.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    You really can't get fat eating veggies (raw that is).

So you can get fat from cooked vegetables?

You can get fat from eating too much fruit or veggies. Which it would be hard to eat at a surplus of just veggies it could be done.

it really can't. your stomach won't allow it to happen. just try eating 2000 cal of veggies without butter, oil, etc

Easy. Doesn't take much avocado and nuts to get way out of my range for what I can eat. No need to add a single drop of olive oil, even if I may want to add some bananas for dessert.

neither avocados or nuts are vegetables.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Eating bread within your calorie and macro goals - no. Eating bread at a caloric surplus - absolutely yes, it is "fattening". Same goes with any other food you consume.

^^^ This, bread is not more fattening that fat, that's total BS.

If it fits in your calorie goal it will be fine - it doesn't magically turn into fat or suddenly gain more calories.

Seconded.

Also, 4 biscuits isn't a binge. It might be a little more than you planned, but it's not that bad.

^^^^ Agreed!

Four biscuits covered in sausage gravy is a nice, filling breakfast. Just eat a lighter, high protein lunch/supper and you should be able to fit it in.

and nutritionally deficient...

Bit of a sweeping statement when you do not know what else is included in the lunch and supper.

the breakfast is certainly nutritionally deficient. and that's all I was referring to. you know that.

No, actually I did not know that as I assumed that you realized that it is your overall diet that should be looked at rather than one individual meal. Any meal, no matter how 'healthy' or 'unhealthy' it is can be deficient of certain nutrients. I can have a big salad and it can be deficient in lots of things...context again.

Edited for grammar
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Eating bread within your calorie and macro goals - no. Eating bread at a caloric surplus - absolutely yes, it is "fattening". Same goes with any other food you consume.

^^^ This, bread is not more fattening that fat, that's total BS.

If it fits in your calorie goal it will be fine - it doesn't magically turn into fat or suddenly gain more calories.

Seconded.

Also, 4 biscuits isn't a binge. It might be a little more than you planned, but it's not that bad.

^^^^ Agreed!

Four biscuits covered in sausage gravy is a nice, filling breakfast. Just eat a lighter, high protein lunch/supper and you should be able to fit it in.

and nutritionally deficient...

Bit of a sweeping statement when you do not know what else is included in the lunch and supper.

the breakfast is certainly nutritionally deficient. and that's all I was referring to. you know that.

Deficient compared to what? And how much nutrition am I supposed to eat in each of my meals? If I'm deficient, whatever that means, can't it be made up for at dinner?

I had a Little Debbie Cheese Danish for breakfast this morning.

TrekOhNoes.gif
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    1. four biscuits is not a binge. I doubt it even qualifies as overeating.

Yes, four biscuits in one sitting is ridiculous - it's four servings in one sitting! Therefore, it is considered over eating.

Here is a link to a popular brand of biscuits:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/biscuits-pillsbury-biscuits-grands-flaky-layers-buttermilk-55898158

If you were to eat four of them, that would be 680 calories, 28g of fat, 100 carbs, 16g of sugar and a whopping 2160 mg of sodium...four biscuits in one sitting isn't healthy by any stretch of the imagination.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm not saying 1 or even 2 depending on what you're eating it with would be all that bad (everything in moderation) but four? No that's just over eating.

Lol at you telling me how many of a particular item I get to eat. I have to eat 3500-4000 just to maintain and I can't have 4 biscuits? Please.

A 12 oz can of soda can say 2 servings, does that make it true? Serving size is created by marketing departments so they can make calories seem smaller, not by the Lord of How Much I Can Eat

I don't think the OP eats 3500-4000 cal

Exactly. She ate a proportionally smaller amount than I would. I would have had jelly, 6 eggs and bacon along with OJ.

Or 10 more cookies and a pint of ice cream. Have we determined if the OP is eating American biscuits or British biscuits?

Either way, I bet she lives
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

Yes, four biscuits in one sitting is ridiculous - it's four servings in one sitting! Therefore, it is considered over eating.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/biscuits-pillsbury-biscuits-grands-flaky-layers-buttermilk-55898158

If you were to eat four of them, that would be 680 calories, 28g of fat, 100 carbs, 16g of sugar and a whopping 2160 mg of sodium...four biscuits in one sitting isn't healthy by any stretch of the imagination.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm not saying 1 or even 2 depending on what you're eating it with would be all that bad (everything in moderation) but four? No that's just over eating.

Lol at you telling me how many of a particular item I get to eat. I have to eat 3500-4000 just to maintain and I can't have 4 biscuits? Please.

A 12 oz can of soda can say 2 servings, does that make it true? Serving size is created by marketing departments so they can make calories seem smaller, not by the Lord of How Much I Can Eat

I don't think the OP eats 3500-4000 cal

Exactly. She ate a proportionally smaller amount than I would. I would have had jelly, 6 eggs and bacon along with OJ.

Or 10 more cookies and a pint of ice cream. Have we determined if the OP is eating American biscuits or British biscuits?

Either way, I bet she lives

haha i bet you're right. :smile:
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

my point was about the misuse of the word "binge" i.e. people using it to mean they overate a little. And my definition of overeating was clear in my post, I didn't say 4 biscuits was *never* overeating, I said it was overeating if it took you over your calories for the day. i.e. it's context dependent. 680 calories is overeating in some contexts, but not others, and i didn't comment at all on whether it was healthy or not, I'm more concerned about the hyperbolic (bordering on ridiculous) use of the term "binge". How many calories there are in four biscuits is totally irrelevant to this point, as eating four biscuits is not a symptom of disordered eating (which bingeing is), even if it's not the most healthy choice, and *may* be overeating depending on what else the person has eaten that day (i.e. it's context dependent, and not overeating in and of itself).

This may seem like something not very important, but firstly, if someone is saying that a normal sized serving of food is a "binge" it betrays an unhealthy relationship with food. Feeling guilty about eating 4 biscuits IMO is not psychologically healthy in any context. The most someone should feel if it took them over their goal or prevented them getting enough healthy nutrition for the day is "oops, maybe I should have snacked on something else". Additionally, misuse of words leads to people who have real problems with something, e.g. binge eating disorder, to have their problems misunderstood by others. If someone is saying that eating four biscuits is a binge, then when someone else is saying "I have binge eating disorder" - that will end up being taken by some to mean "I overeat sometimes" which is totally not the same as binge eating disorder. Overeating is not an eating disorder or psychiatric problem, it's nothing more than a bad habit. Binge eating refers to uncontrolled eating of huge quantities of food, way past the point of feeling full, and is a symptom of some eating disorders, e.g. binge eating disorder or bulimia.
  • yellowsnowdrop
    yellowsnowdrop Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    As a Brit (sorry if this is off topic) I don't undersatnd what goes into an American biscuit. Here in England what we call a biscuit you guys call a cookie so I don't guess we have any equivalent of what you call a biscuit (am I making sense here??)
    Can someone please enlighten me,
    H
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    As a Brit (sorry if this is off topic) I don't undersatnd what goes into an American biscuit. Here in England what we call a biscuit you guys call a cookie so I don't guess we have any equivalent of what you call a biscuit (am I making sense here??)
    H

scone would be the equivalent
  • Keane2baMsed
    Keane2baMsed Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    H

Ditto! I'm Irish and this is also a bit alien to me!

Bread here is bread..a cookie is called a biscuit and crackers are crackers!

Anyway, Bread is fine once you don't go over board! It's common sense like anything too much of it can be bad for you!

Wholgrain and homemade is best, stay away from the preserved white junk that lasts for weeks!
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    H

Not really - having eaten both. We Brits actually don't have an equivalent. Wish we did :sad:
  • neandermagnon
    Options
    H

oh, okay, I interpreted this as four British biscuits.......

even so, four scones is really not that big a deal (i.e. still not a binge and still only overeating if it takes you over your goal before you get enough protein, vitamins etc).... scones are nice. mmmmmmmmm cream and jam and scones....
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    H

Your scones are similar, but I find our biscuits are much lighter and fluffier. When I had a proper English meat pie, the top crust reminded me more of one of our american biscuits (but obviously much thinner). The dumplings in chicken and dumpling soup are also similar in chemistry to a biscuit. The kind of bread wrapping of the middle eastern/lebanese-style spinach pocket sandwiches was also pretty similar. But nothing in England quite comes close to an american biscuit, in my opinion.

they're flour, lard, salt, baking powder and milk.
  • Iron_Pheonix
    Iron_Pheonix Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    H

even so, four scones is really not that big a deal (i.e. still not a binge and still only overeating if it takes you over your goal before you get enough protein, vitamins etc).... scones are nice. mmmmmmmmm cream and jam and scones....

I think my stomach would explode on four scones and then id go into a carb coma. Lol
  • aaronlawrenc
    aaronlawrenc Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I believe bread is fattening bc of the way the body processes it. The package will say low fat and low sugar, but it processes in the body as a sugar. That is what makes if fattening. If you must eat bread or english muffins or wraps, etc chose Ezekiel bread. It is considered a protein by the body (equivalent to an egg) according to the package and has several amino acids in it (can't recall how many without looking it up). It is sold in the health food stores.

Just a tip, I noticed it does best when kept in the freezer, otherwise it spoils really fast. It's YUMMO!

i believe that you believe correctly
  • neandermagnon
    Options
    H

Your scones are similar, but I find our biscuits are much lighter and fluffier. When I had a proper English meat pie, the top crust reminded me more of one of our american biscuits (but obviously much thinner). The dumplings in chicken and dumpling soup are also similar in chemistry to a biscuit. The kind of bread wrapping of the middle eastern/lebanese-style spinach pocket sandwiches was also pretty similar. But nothing in England quite comes close to an american biscuit, in my opinion.

they're flour, lard, salt, baking powder and milk.

that's interesting... and nothing like British scones!! do you mean the middle eastern spinach pockets that come in packets, or home cooked ones? there's a lot of variation between them. I love them btw!! (home cooked ones that is.... the packet ones are nothing to write home about and also they're about as filling as eating air or mcdonalds) And they definitely don't contain lard in the middle east lol
  • aaronlawrenc
    aaronlawrenc Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    H

honey-boo-boo-biscuit-explanation.gif
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    [quote
    that's interesting... and nothing like British scones!! do you mean the middle eastern spinach pockets that come in packets, or home cooked ones? there's a lot of variation between them. I love them btw!! (home cooked ones that is.... the packet ones are nothing to write home about and also they're about as filling as eating air or mcdonalds) And they definitely don't contain lard in the middle east lol
    [/quote]

imagine savory scones made of loads filo pastry, light layers really.
  • neandermagnon
    Options
    H

I think my stomach would explode on four scones and then id go into a carb coma. Lol

I'm not sure I could eat four in one sitting to be honest (especially not if accompanied by clotted cream and jam, and it would be extremely hard to fit that in my macros....)
  • neandermagnon
    Options

imagine savory scones made of loads filo pastry, light layers really.

okay, I can picture that... but definitely would not call it a scone