Is bread generally fattening?

Options

Replies

• Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    BRO. Weight gain depends on insulin resistance. Someone saying "I always eat bread and never been overweight" means absolutely zero. It depends on your reaction to the sugars most of all, calories only somewhat. Bro Science will lead you down the wrong path.

Ironic post is ironic
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    BRO. Weight gain depends on insulin resistance. Someone saying "I always eat bread and never been overweight" means absolutely zero. It depends on your reaction to the sugars most of all, calories only somewhat. Bro Science will lead you down the wrong path.

Ironic post is ironic

:wink:
  • TotallyNotBillNye
    Options
    muLX7.gif
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    A. Bread and biscuits are not the same thing

In America, biscuits are a type of bread. They are a "quick" bread rather than a yeast bread because baking powder is used for the leavening. It's a small, round bread with shortening or lard cut into the flour to make them rich, as well as light and fluffy.

buttermilk-biscuits-sl-1673191-l.jpg

^Well this is the time of the day that Americans should be asleep so British terms only please! :laugh:

and

Looks tasty!
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options

So, if I still eat bread and I used to be obese do I win? Or has my 'insulin resistance' magically changed?
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I'll argue the calorie is a calorie thing, but otherwise you're right. However it's physically imposdible to eat 4000 veggie cals because of the size of our stomachs. You really can't get fat eating veggies (raw that is). You'll get full long before that.

So this is theoretical then? Because we've gone from calories to volume and I thought this was a calorie conversation
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options

So, if I still eat bread and I used to be obese do I win? Or has my 'insulin resistance' magically changed?
    Hell no, you have to consume twinkies to increase your insulin sensitivity, bread on gets you part way there.
  • wandaskutnik
    Options
    I second that emotion about eating Ezekiel Bread. No flour in it. It's made from sprouts. Takes a while to get use to it, but is full of nutrition and fiber. Also, only 80 calories per slice. It's too ruff to eat alone as toast. I always use a teaspoon of butter on it. Very filling.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

qsN2RbZ.gif
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    You really can't get fat eating veggies (raw that is).

but I would get fat if they are cooked?

vegetarians aren't immune from being overweight if they add caloric density by cooking veggies in oil/butter/etc/etc - doing it that way makes it possible to eat more cal than your TDEE in veggie products.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    Eating bread within your calorie and macro goals - no. Eating bread at a caloric surplus - absolutely yes, it is "fattening". Same goes with any other food you consume.

^^^ This, bread is not more fattening that fat, that's total BS.

If it fits in your calorie goal it will be fine - it doesn't magically turn into fat or suddenly gain more calories.

Seconded.

Also, 4 biscuits isn't a binge. It might be a little more than you planned, but it's not that bad.

^^^^ Agreed!

Four biscuits covered in sausage gravy is a nice, filling breakfast. Just eat a lighter, high protein lunch/supper and you should be able to fit it in.

and nutritionally deficient...
  • SadKitty27
    SadKitty27 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    1. four biscuits is not a binge. I doubt it even qualifies as overeating.

Yes, four biscuits in one sitting is ridiculous - it's four servings in one sitting! Therefore, it is considered over eating.

Here is a link to a popular brand of biscuits:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/biscuits-pillsbury-biscuits-grands-flaky-layers-buttermilk-55898158

If you were to eat four of them, that would be 680 calories, 28g of fat, 100 carbs, 16g of sugar and a whopping 2160 mg of sodium...four biscuits in one sitting isn't healthy by any stretch of the imagination.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm not saying 1 or even 2 depending on what you're eating it with would be all that bad (everything in moderation) but four? No that's just over eating.
  • rotill
    rotill Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    On the one hand a calorie is a calorie, no matter what you eat. So if you want to eat your calories by having bread or meat or toffees, it doesn't really matter.

On the other hand, we are not all made equal. Some of us are more sensitive to blood-sugar spikes - highs and lows. When we eat white bread, white rice, pasta, potatoes and sugar - including fruit juices - we get very high blood sugar. The body reacts to this by producing insulin, which lowers the blood-sugar and helps store sugar as fat. Then the blood-sugar drops dramatically, and we get headaches, feel dizzy and tired and extremely hungry, a very short time after eating. If we mix the carbs with fiber (whole grain, brown rice, etc.), they are released slower into the blood, we don't get those spikes, and so also avoid the bursts of insulin and the sudden drops in blood-sugar. This is what makes carbs "slow" - they aren't any slower, they are just broken down slower in the stomach, and so released over a longer time.

This is why bread, particularly white bread low on fiber, can be "fattening." Not because the calories in it are more evil than other calories, but because it makes it a lot harder to maintain a healthy, balanced diet if you feel hungry, dizzy and uncomfortable shortly after a meal.

This is also why it's a good idea to log the quality of everything you eat, and not just quick added calories, for instance. By doing that you can have a look at what you ate on those really bad days, when you couldn't stick to your goals, and what you ate on the good days, then figure out what works for you.

Good luck!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    - As long as you otherwise have a balanced diet there is nothing wrong with it

-As long as you stay under your TDEE, it will not make you fat (and even then it is not the bread that will make you fat but what you ate taken as a whole).
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    I'll argue the calorie is a calorie thing, but otherwise you're right. However it's physically imposdible to eat 4000 veggie cals because of the size of our stomachs. You really can't get fat eating veggies (raw that is). You'll get full long before that.

So this is theoretical then? Because we've gone from calories to volume and I thought this was a calorie conversation

you don't find the two to be connected huh?

if one food fills you up and is lower calorie, and one food is high-calorie and doesn't fill you up, which is more likely to lead to you going over your TDEE for the day?

dude, you and I have awesome control over our diets, willpower, blah blah blah. But for people just getting into this, refined carbs/bread/etc can have a gateway effect and lead people to eat more than they should.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    A. Bread and biscuits are not the same thing

In America, biscuits are a type of bread. They are a "quick" bread rather than a yeast bread because baking powder is used for the leavening. It's a small, round bread with shortening or lard cut into the flour to make them rich, as well as light and fluffy.

buttermilk-biscuits-sl-1673191-l.jpg

^Well this is the time of the day that Americans should be asleep so British terms only please! :laugh:

and

Looks tasty!

:laugh:

Yes, they are! My husband has been bugging me for over a week to make some. The fat content pushes the calories upward, so they can be hard to fit in sometimes, but I may just have to oblige him for Sunday morning. :bigsmile:
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    I still think the OP was talking about what we Americans would call "cookies."
  • rotill
    rotill Posts: 244 Member
    Options

Yes, four biscuits in one sitting is a ridiculous - it's four servings in one sitting! Therefore, it is considered over eating.

Ummm - it really depends on the biscuits. I have a stash of bisquits at 60 calories each, and four of those are easy to fit into my daily goals.

But I guess, if I stand up between each bisquit, that makes four sittings! Then I don't overeat, do I? :tongue:

- OK, I fell in the cultural difference gap. I guess my stash is cookies, not bisquits. :)
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Yes, four biscuits in one sitting is a ridiculous - it's four servings in one sitting! Therefore, it is considered over eating.

Ummm - it really depends on the biscuits. I have a stash of bisquits at 60 calories each, and four of those are easy to fit into my daily goals.

But I guess, if I stand up between each bisquit, that makes four sittings! Then I don't overeat, do I? :tongue:

the vast majority of biscuits aren't 60 calories. but you're right - it does depend on the brand and/or where they came from.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    no