Is bread generally fattening?

Options

Replies

• grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    I eat 4 pieces of bread on most days (if I have toast for breakfast then a sandwich for lunch) and loads more carbs on top (wholemeal and wholewheat is best!) I have always and still continue to lose weight!

Stick to your macros and everything will be fine. It's moderation!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    1. four biscuits is not a binge. I doubt it even qualifies as overeating. Bingeing means eating huge quantities of food, usually with a total loss of control. There is too much hyperbole on the internet. If you ate too much of something but it was a relatively normal quantity, then that's overeating, not bingeing. 4 biscuits is not a huge quantity of food and it would only qualify as overeating if it took you over your calorie goal for the day, and does not come close to qualifying as a binge.

2. there are no foods that are inherently fattening, if you eat more than you burn off, the excess will be stored as fat, regardless of what the actual foods you ate were. Similarly, if you eat nothing but twinkies and stay under your calorie goal, you won't get fat, and you can still lose fat (this has been done, i.e. the twinkie diet, although I wouldn't call it a healthy way to lose weight at all).
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Yes bread is fattening. Bread can be more fattening than fat if you eat too much of it. Some breads are worse than others but flour and wheat products aren't the best for out bodies. Yes you can have it in moderation but its best to get most of your carbs from veggies. I try to keep my carbs at 100g per day, no more than 150. As long as you maintain your caloric goals you should lose weight regardless of what you eat but I would do some research into the glycemic index to get a better understanding of how bread makes you fat.

Please explain how bread will make me fat if I'm under my total calorie goal. Is it magic? You mention glycemic index. Is that a magical calorie multiplier? Like, if I eat 30 cals of something with a high index, does it multiply by 3 and my body thinks it's 90 cals? If my maintenance cals are 2600, and I eat 500 from steak and 1900 worth of bread, do I gain weight?

You're making statements but I guess I need some help understanding the math of it all
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Yes bread is fattening. Bread can be more fattening than fat if you eat too much of it. Some breads are worse than others but flour and wheat products aren't the best for out bodies. Yes you can have it in moderation but its best to get most of your carbs from veggies. I try to keep my carbs at 100g per day, no more than 150. As long as you maintain your caloric goals you should lose weight regardless of what you eat but I would do some research into the glycemic index to get a better understanding of how bread makes you fat.

Please explain how bread will make me fat if I'm under my total calorie goal. Is it magic? You mention glycemic index. Is that a magical calorie multiplier? Like, if I eat 30 cals of something with a high index, does it multiply by 3 and my body thinks it's 90 cals? If my maintenance cals are 2600, and I eat 500 from steak and 1900 worth of bread, do I gain weight?

You're making statements but I guess I need some help understanding the math of it all
    They can't. They're just making stuff up and stating it as fact. Coach science at its finest.
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    A. Bread and biscuits are not the same thing

B. Bread is a carb and has roughly 4 cals per gram. Fat has 8-9cals per gram and Protein has about 4 cals per gram.

People believe bread/processed carbs are fattening because whole carbs have more fibre which increases satiety and protein is also more satiating than carbs. This just means 'bread' leaves you feeling less full and you will therefore eat more.

A calorie is a calorie. You'll get fat if you have 4000 cals of vegetables and your TDEE is 2500.
  • daterminedfatburnerX
    daterminedfatburnerX Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    CARBS!!!! (runs in circle screaming)
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

B. Bread is a carb and has roughly 4 cals per gram. Fat has 8-9cals per gram and Protein has about 4 cals per gram.

People believe bread/processed carbs are fattening because whole carbs have more fibre which increases satiety and protein is also more satiating than carbs. This just means 'bread' leaves you feeling less full and you will therefore eat more.

A calorie is a calorie. You'll get fat if you have 4000 cals of vegetables and your TDEE is 2500.

I'll argue the calorie is a calorie thing, but otherwise you're right. However it's physically imposdible to eat 4000 veggie cals because of the size of our stomachs. You really can't get fat eating veggies (raw that is). You'll get full long before that.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    Also, if refined bread/biscuits dont fill you up, and thus cause you to eat more, shouldn't they be avoided for THAT reason? Regardless of your thoughts about wheat and grains in our diets.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Glycemic index is meaningless. When something high glycemic is consumed with protein and/or fat the glycemic index pretty much becomes insignificant. Tell my skinny italian family that bread makes you fat, they will LOL.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Bread can easily fit into a healthy diet. The most wholesome breads are made from "100% whole grain wheat" and don't contain sugar or high fructose corn syrup. Highly refined and enriched flours should be avoided as much as possible if you're trying to lose weight. Don't know if you mean American biscuits or English biscuits, since they're different foods, but both of those are probably made from refined flours. If you stay under your calories for the day, no neither is fattening. But for best health, stick with bread products that list "100% whole grain x" as the first ingredient and doesn't list added sweeteners.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    You really can't get fat eating veggies (raw that is).

but I would get fat if they are cooked?
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Bread can easily fit into a healthy diet. The most wholesome breads are made from "100% whole grain wheat" and don't contain sugar or high fructose corn syrup. Highly refined and enriched flours should be avoided as much as possible if you're trying to lose weight. Don't know if you mean American biscuits or English biscuits, since they're different foods, but both of those are probably made from refined flours. If you stay under your calories for the day, no neither is fattening. But for best health, stick with bread products that list "100% whole grain x" as the first ingredient and doesn't list added sweeteners.

There is no need to avoid them if they fit into your calories/macros for the day. They may not be the "healthiest" choice but if you like them and they fit them eat them.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Eating bread within your calorie and macro goals - no. Eating bread at a caloric surplus - absolutely yes, it is "fattening". Same goes with any other food you consume.

^^^ This, bread is not more fattening that fat, that's total BS.

If it fits in your calorie goal it will be fine - it doesn't magically turn into fat or suddenly gain more calories.

Seconded.

Also, 4 biscuits isn't a binge. It might be a little more than you planned, but it's not that bad.

^^^^ Agreed!

Four biscuits covered in sausage gravy is a nice, filling breakfast. Just eat a lighter, high protein lunch/supper and you should be able to fit it in.
  • _SABOTEUR_
    Options
    Also, if refined bread/biscuits dont fill you up, and thus cause you to eat more, shouldn't they be avoided for THAT reason? Regardless of your thoughts about wheat and grains in our diets.

They don't cause you to eat more. The only person that causes me to eat is me. Refined carbs do not equal diminished responsibilty.
  • _SABOTEUR_
    Options

There is no need to avoid them if they fit into your calories/macros for the day. They may not be the "healthiest" choice but if you like them and they fit them eat them.

^Agreed
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    No.

It's not.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

In America, biscuits are a type of bread. They are a "quick" bread rather than a yeast bread because baking powder is used for the leavening. It's a small, round bread with shortening or lard cut into the flour to make them rich, as well as light and fluffy.

buttermilk-biscuits-sl-1673191-l.jpg
  • TotallyNotBillNye
    Options
    BRO. Weight gain depends on insulin resistance. Someone saying "I always eat bread and never been overweight" means absolutely zero. It depends on your reaction to the sugars most of all, calories only somewhat. Bro Science will lead you down the wrong path.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    CARBS!!!! (runs in circle screaming)

th_oh-noes.gif
  • Inshape13
    Inshape13 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    It is pretty much the same as any other food which means if you eat too much of it....then yes it will make you gain weight. Although I see that you asked about bread and mentioned biscuits which is a fattier thing than a piece of bread. I worked in a commercial bakery and then owned my own bakery and they are made with lard or shortening if you got them from the store so they probably are high in saturated fat that is really not healthy so if you go with the bread and can fit it into your calories then probably stick with 1 biscuit and if you still want bread then eat the whole grain "bread."