Is bread generally fattening?

Options

Replies

• Sunny____
    Sunny____ Posts: 214
    Options
    Yes, bread IS fattening. I hate to break it to all you carb addicts, but the carbs in bread are extremely refined and are almost identical to table sugar. That "whole grain" bread is not much better.

Calories and not created the same. Processed carbs, like bread, digest extremely fast and spike blood sugar levels, which in return causes your pancreas to secrete insulin. This lowers the body's blood sugar levels, but also causes it to store glucose (generally as fat).

Interestingly enough, it also tell your body to 'shut off' the fat burning hormones.

Anyone that says "calories in, calories out" is right and wrong. Right because it's true, but wrong because what goes in affects what goes out.

You can find some more information about this on my blog.

Okay, let's say I believed that bread or highly refined carbs or table sugar had some sort of fat storing response. If I'm in calorie deficit, won't this newly stored fat immediately be used for energy at some point during the day? I mean, this fat storing isn't magical, is it? My body needs 2800 cals daily to live, I'm eating 2000, 500 cals worth of refined carbs get turned into fat, then my body uses those the same way it uses glucose for energy, right?

Or does the 500 cal from bread/sugar/HFC defy all laws of reason, math, logic, and thermodynamics? I ask again, is this process magical?
    The bread turns into sugar and I believe that is how it makes you fat. Too much sugar can have adverse affects on your efforts. Does this make sense? Just talking "with you" not saying I know for sure.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    No.
    Is this "no" about me? Will you tell me what they are talking about?

I was answering the question.
    No.

Nothing is fattening is isolation.
  • Sunny____
    Options
    No.

No.

LOL! Okay thank you for the response. :)
  • taso42
    Options
    No.

No.

How is that funny? Funny enough to laugh out loud? i mean, I know I'm hilarious and all, but....
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Yes, bread IS fattening. I hate to break it to all you carb addicts, but the carbs in bread are extremely refined and are almost identical to table sugar. That "whole grain" bread is not much better.

Calories and not created the same. Processed carbs, like bread, digest extremely fast and spike blood sugar levels, which in return causes your pancreas to secrete insulin. This lowers the body's blood sugar levels, but also causes it to store glucose (generally as fat).

Interestingly enough, it also tell your body to 'shut off' the fat burning hormones.

Anyone that says "calories in, calories out" is right and wrong. Right because it's true, but wrong because what goes in affects what goes out.

I would suggest you read this:http://www.weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=319

In any event, on a caloric deficit, nothing is stored as fat.
  • Sunny____
    Options
    No.

No.

How is that funny? Funny enough to laugh out loud? i mean, I know I'm hilarious and all, but....
    You aren't funny. I was laughing at myself for thinking your "no" was about me.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options

Nope, nope and nope.

I like carbs it does not make me an addict - that alone makes me disregard your post.

Bread =/= table sugar. :noway:

Eat too much of anything = fat

eat under your calories in bread alone you will still lose weight. (not healthily but still).

This.

No one food will make you fat unless the calories are more than what your body needs.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    No Pineapple! How do you eat Ham.
    With bread, of course.

And mayonnaise.

^This. Just say no to Pineapples. Yuck. :P
    And orange peels

Seriously - grow up.

Lots of people eat orange peel in various forms around the world. The fact you bring this up on every thread you both appear in is childish to the extreme.
    I bring it up on every thread? I have only been a member a couple of days. I have never mentioned it before. Sorry I declined your friend's request this morning. I guess it has your panties in a bunch now. I do see though that declining you was wise. I love when I follow my instincts.

So why even bring up orange peels if you aren't S_U_M_M_E_R? Or do you have something against other cultures like that other person did?
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

Okay, let's say I believed that bread or highly refined carbs or table sugar had some sort of fat storing response. If I'm in calorie deficit, won't this newly stored fat immediately be used for energy at some point during the day? I mean, this fat storing isn't magical, is it? My body needs 2800 cals daily to live, I'm eating 2000, 500 cals worth of refined carbs get turned into fat, then my body uses those the same way it uses glucose for energy, right?

Or does the 500 cal from bread/sugar/HFC defy all laws of reason, math, logic, and thermodynamics? I ask again, is this process magical?
    The bread turns into sugar and I believe that is how it makes you fat. Too much sugar can have adverse affects on your efforts. Does this make sense? Just talking "with you" not saying I know for sure.
    Your belief is wrong.
  • Sunny____
    Options

Nope, nope and nope.

I like carbs it does not make me an addict - that alone makes me disregard your post.

Bread =/= table sugar. :noway:

Eat too much of anything = fat

eat under your calories in bread alone you will still lose weight. (not healthily but still).

This.

No one food will make you fat unless the calories are more than what your body needs.
    Once I gave up bread only and lost 18 lbs in 5 weeks. That has to count for something. I guess too much of anything can make one fat.
  • Sunny____
    Options

Your belief is wrong.
    Okay, I am listening. Help me understand your perspective of what part of my statement is incorrect.
  • Sunny____
    Options
    I am right: Here is info on whole grain breads: SUGAR! SUGAR! SUGAR!

The complex carbohydrates in whole-grain breads cannot be immediately used by your body. Amylase, an enzyme produced by your saliva glands and pancreas, is necessary for breaking down these carbohydrates, according to the University of Maryland Medical Center. Stomach acids in your digestive system continue the process of breaking down carbohydrates for digestion. As carbohydrates are digested, they convert into glucose molecules, which are released into your bloodstream.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/446767-does-whole-grain-bread-turn-into-sugar/#ixzz2N5jtqHbI
  • taso42
    Options
    No.

No.

You're pretty funny. In that facepalm sort of way.
  • Sunny____
    Options
    No.

No.

Thanks for your response. Back to bread now.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    No.

No.

Yerp
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I am right: Here is info on whole grain breads: SUGAR! SUGAR! SUGAR!

The complex carbohydrates in whole-grain breads cannot be immediately used by your body. Amylase, an enzyme produced by your saliva glands and pancreas, is necessary for breaking down these carbohydrates, according to the University of Maryland Medical Center. Stomach acids in your digestive system continue the process of breaking down carbohydrates for digestion. As carbohydrates are digested, they convert into glucose molecules, which are released into your bloodstream.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/446767-does-whole-grain-bread-turn-into-sugar/#ixzz2N5jtqHbI

The point still comes down to eating in a caloric deficit and if you are then consuming bread (as long as you are staying in a deficit) as no chance of making you fat.... Some will argue the nutritional value of bread (me not being one of them) but I for one have eaten no less than 2 loafs of bread and a bag of bagel thins every week for the past going on 4 years and it has not hampered my weight loss one bit...
  • taso42
    Options
    No.

No.

Thanks for your response. Back to bread now.

What about it? We've established that bread isn't fattening in a calorie deficit. A long time ago.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    3000 calories of bread is just as fattening as 3000 calories of broccoli when you are on a 2000 calorie diet where your TDEE is 2300.

1500 calories of bread is just as non-fattening as 1500 calories of pepperoni & extra cheese pizza when you are on a 1500 calorie diet when your TDEE is 1800.

For example.

Nutrition aside...

Look up the Twinkie Diet.

Simple answer to the question of the OP: NO.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Plenty on here eat bread daily within their goals and lose weight just fine. That said, I don't see bread as particularly healthy, and only have it occasionally, usually in the form of a sandwich with plenty of protein if caught on the trot. If I buy it, I buy sprouted bread which is quite different to commercial bread, though from what I hear, bread here in the Uk is not as bad as bread in the USA. I always find it tedious that Subway is one of the sponsors for Biggest Loser, hence that show is always promoting it as being so healthy for you.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

But how would I get fat in a calorie deficit? By definition I'm not fueling my body with enough energy to last a full day. So wouldn't the fat created by bread or anything else be summoned for duty as an energy source?