Is bread generally fattening?

Options

Replies

• Sunny____
    Sunny____ Posts: 214
    Options
    I am right: Here is info on whole grain breads: SUGAR! SUGAR! SUGAR!

The complex carbohydrates in whole-grain breads cannot be immediately used by your body. Amylase, an enzyme produced by your saliva glands and pancreas, is necessary for breaking down these carbohydrates, according to the University of Maryland Medical Center. Stomach acids in your digestive system continue the process of breaking down carbohydrates for digestion. As carbohydrates are digested, they convert into glucose molecules, which are released into your bloodstream.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/446767-does-whole-grain-bread-turn-into-sugar/#ixzz2N5jtqHbI

The point still comes down to eating in a caloric deficit and if you are then consuming bread (as long as you are staying in a deficit) as no chance of making you fat.... Some will argue the nutritional value of bread (me not being one of them) but I for one have eaten no less than 2 loafs of bread and a bag of bagel thins every week for the past going on 4 years and it has not hampered my weight loss one bit...
    I agree with you. I never said bread was fattening. I never said you couldn't eat bread and lose weight. I said that bread converts to a sugar and ]TOO MUCH sugar can have adverse affects on your efforts. Some guy said "you are incorrect". I simply proved that bread is sugar. And that obviously too much sugar can make you gain. That is all. I eat bread, but not 7 peices. I eat candy, but not a lb. All things in moderation.

I don't agree that 1500 in bread is the same as 1500 in brocolli. Because you have to factor in the carbs and the sugar. Those latter two are extra fat in the body. That is a no brainer.
  • CoachDreesTraining
    CoachDreesTraining Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Like I said, what you put into your body affects how many calories you burn. The second, and more important thing to consider is how insulin shuts off the fat burning hormones. This results in skinny- at, or just regular fat
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

The complex carbohydrates in whole-grain breads cannot be immediately used by your body. Amylase, an enzyme produced by your saliva glands and pancreas, is necessary for breaking down these carbohydrates, according to the University of Maryland Medical Center. Stomach acids in your digestive system continue the process of breaking down carbohydrates for digestion. As carbohydrates are digested, they convert into glucose molecules, which are released into your bloodstream.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/446767-does-whole-grain-bread-turn-into-sugar/#ixzz2N5jtqHbI

Livestrong is a terrible source to use.

How does this address the fact that carbs will make you fat in a caloric deficit? Glucose =/= making you fat.

ETA: veggies are carbs.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Like I said, what you put into your body affects how many calories you burn. The second, and more important thing to consider is how insulin shuts off the fat burning hormones. This results in skinny- at, or just regular fat

Did you read this ?

http://www.weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=319
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Sorry, but I can't award you any points for this answer. The body breaks virtually everything down into glucose/sugar. Because that's is preferred fuel source. Veggies don't get converted into fats or proteins either
  • Sunny____
    Options

How does this address the fact that carbs will make you fat in a caloric deficit? Glucose =/= making you fat.
    Regardless of what website I found it on, bread converts to sugar. I never, ever, ever, ever, ever said that "carbs make you fat at a deficit. So I can't answer your question. I SAID bread converts to a sugar and TOO much can have an adverse affect on weight loss efforts. Some guy said I was wrong. Those latter two points are not wrong. A recap: Bread converts to sugar. And second, too much can make you gain. If you eat within moderation, you can eat anything you want. I drink wine and lose, I eat chocolate and lose. I do this a couple times a week. If I had 7 bottles of wine and 7 lbs of chocolate, I would get fat. They are not the greatest in my body, but I do it in moderation. bread in moderation with consideration of the rest of your diet is not going to make anyone fat.
  • Sunny____
    Options

Sorry, but I can't award you any points for this answer. The body breaks virtually everything down into glucose/sugar. Because that's is preferred fuel source. Veggies don't get converted into fats or proteins either
    Buddy, I don't know what to tell you. You might be barking up the wrong tree. I am not a nutritionist. I only know a bit about bread (the topic). All I know is that I can eat a piece a day and still lose. I don't know much more than that. I take everything in moderation. Too much of anything will make you fat. Bread for one. And it is easy to eat too much bread bc it is a lot more calories a slice than brocolli is a cup. It looks like you are doing fine based on your pictures. Just eat bread as you see works for YOU.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Yes bread is fattening. Bread can be more fattening than fat if you eat too much of it. Some breads are worse than others but flour and wheat products aren't the best for out bodies. Yes you can have it in moderation but its best to get most of your carbs from veggies. I try to keep my carbs at 100g per day, no more than 150. As long as you maintain your caloric goals you should lose weight regardless of what you eat but I would do some research into the glycemic index to get a better understanding of how bread makes you fat.

If you only eat the bread, then yes the GI may be of some significance. However, if you have a whole meal with grilled chicken, quinoa, veggies, and a dinner roll, then the average of the meal on the GI is not that big of a deal.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Regardless of what website I found it on, bread converts to sugar. I never, ever, ever, ever, ever said that "carbs make you fat at a deficit. So I can't answer your question. I SAID bread converts to a sugar and TOO much can have an adverse affect on weight loss efforts. Some guy said I was wrong. Those latter two points are not wrong. A recap: Bread converts to sugar. And second, too much can make you gain. If you eat within moderation, you can eat anything you want. I drink wine and lose, I eat chocolate and lose. I do this a couple times a week. If I had 7 bottles of wine and 7 lbs of chocolate, I would get fat. They are not the greatest in my body, but I do it in moderation. bread in moderation with consideration of the rest of your diet is not going to make anyone fat.

Not sure what the "I am right" point was about then. *shrugs* Excess calories make you fat.
  • Sunny____
    Options

Not sure what the "I am right" point was about then. *shrugs* Excess calories make you fat.
    I said that bread converts to a sugar and that too much can make you gain. A guy said I am wrong. I found a website which said that bread converts to a sugar. Thus I am right. I am not going to find a website which says that too many calories make one fat. We all know that. If we don't then no explanation is going to help there. The place I found the info on "bread converting to sugar" was on Transformation. I only pulled Livestrong as one example here. It is NOT debatable that bread converts to a sugar in the body.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

SO you basically answered your own statement.... Bread is broken down into glucose (sugar) but this just like your wine and chocolate will not make you gain if you are eating it in a calorie deficit (in moderation as you say) so unless I am missing something then what we have been saying all along holds true.... Bread is not fattening if eaten in a calorie deficit,,,,,
  • Sunny____
    Options

SO you basically answered your own statement.... Bread is broken down into glucose (sugar) but this just like your wine and chocolate will not make you gain if you are eating it in a calorie deficit (in moderation as you say) so unless I am missing something then what we have been saying all along holds true.... Bread is not fattening if eaten in a calorie deficit,,,,,
    Yes, this is correct.
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    Excessive calories are fattening.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

I said that bread converts to a sugar and that too much can make you gain. A guy said I am wrong. I found a website which said that bread converts to a sugar. Thus I am right. I am not going to find a website which says that too many calories make one fat. We all know that. If we don't then no explanation is going to help there. The place I found the info on "bread converting to sugar" was on Transformation. I only pulled Livestrong as one example here. It is NOT debatable that bread converts to a sugar in the body.

Any carb (and sometimes protein) converts to glucose. No-one ever said it did not. I am still not sure of the point that you were making.
  • Sunny____
    Options

Any carb (and sometimes protein) converts to glucose. No-one ever said it did not. I am still not sure of the point that you were making.
    Maybe Eddavenport can help you understand. I have run out of ways of explaining it. He did a fantastic job of summing it up. My point is just the what he said.

Yes SOMEONE DID say that bread does not convert into sugar. That is why I went into explanation and posted a link.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Maybe Eddavenport can help you understand. I have run out of ways of explaining it. He did a fantastic job of summing it up. My point is just the what he said.

Yes SOMEONE DID say that bread does not convert into sugar. That is why I went into explanation and posted a link.

Not sure where they said that - maybe if you had quoted that your point would have been easier to determine.

I understand Ed;s point - in that you answered your own question now that you confirmed that.
  • CoachDreesTraining
    CoachDreesTraining Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    It's pretty simple.

Eat less than you burn - lose weight
    Eat less processed and high GI foods - lose fat
    Eat less calories while eating a high GI diet - lose muscle, gain fat

If you want to lose weight, eat whatever you want. If you want to look good, reduce the sugar.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    It's pretty simple.

Eat less than you burn - lose weight
    Eat less processed and high GI foods - lose fat
    Eat less calories while eating a high GI diet - lose muscle, gain fat

If you want to lose weight, eat whatever you want. If you want to look good, reduce the sugar.

You lose muscle and gain fat in a caloric deficit because of high GI food? Rly?
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

And I ask again, in a calorie deficit, what happens to this fat? Are you saying that I will start metabolizing muscle even though I'm strength training?
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Ooh, I know this one-- YES!