Is bread generally fattening?

Options

Replies

• CoachDreesTraining
    CoachDreesTraining Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Yes, bread IS fattening. I hate to break it to all you carb addicts, but the carbs in bread are extremely refined and are almost identical to table sugar. That "whole grain" bread is not much better.

Calories and not created the same. Processed carbs, like bread, digest extremely fast and spike blood sugar levels, which in return causes your pancreas to secrete insulin. This lowers the body's blood sugar levels, but also causes it to store glucose (generally as fat).

Interestingly enough, it also tell your body to 'shut off' the fat burning hormones.

Anyone that says "calories in, calories out" is right and wrong. Right because it's true, but wrong because what goes in affects what goes out.

You can find some more information about this on my blog.
  • timmemin
    timmemin Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I hate that people act like bread is going to kill you!!! Are people serious? I eat at least one sandwich everyday and have a healthy BMI. Like anything else, the key is moderation. I love my morning egg sandwiches on rye toast and am not about to give them up.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Yes, bread IS fattening. I hate to break it to all you carb addicts, but the carbs in bread are extremely refined and are almost identical to table sugar. That "whole grain" bread is not much better.

Calories and not created the same. Processed carbs, like bread, digest extremely fast and spike blood sugar levels, which in return causes your pancreas to secrete insulin. This lowers the body's blood sugar levels, but also causes it to store glucose (generally as fat).

Interestingly enough, it also tell your body to 'shut off' the fat burning hormones.

Anyone that says "calories in, calories out" is right and wrong. Right because it's true, but wrong because what goes in affects what goes out.

Nope, nope and nope.

I like carbs it does not make me an addict - that alone makes me disregard your post.

Bread =/= table sugar. :noway:

Eat too much of anything = fat

eat under your calories in bread alone you will still lose weight. (not healthily but still).
  • Sunny____
    Sunny____ Posts: 214
    Options
    I believe bread is fattening bc of the way the body processes it. The package will say low fat and low sugar, but it processes in the body as a sugar. That is what makes if fattening. If you must eat bread or english muffins or wraps, etc chose Ezekiel bread. It is considered a protein by the body (equivalent to an egg) according to the package and has several amino acids in it (can't recall how many without looking it up). It is sold in the health food stores.

Just a tip, I noticed it does best when kept in the freezer, otherwise it spoils really fast. It's YUMMO!

^This^ Except I make Oopsie bread instead of Ezekiel bread. I'm a big low carber :)
    Ezekiel has 24 carbs a slice.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Bread is mostly calories, in the form of carbs, and fake nutrients, in the form of added vitamins. Even whole grain products aren't a lot better. You can get your fiber more easily from vegetables, beans, and fruit. I love bread, and grains, but I view them as treats to have in small amounts.
  • timmemin
    timmemin Posts: 72 Member
    Options

Nope, nope and nope.

I like carbs it does not make me an addict - that alone makes me disregard your post.

Bread =/= table sugar. :noway:

Eat too much of anything = fat

eat under your calories in bread alone you will still lose weight. (not healthily but still).

This.
  • Iron_Feline
    Options
    No Pineapple! How do you eat Ham.
    With bread, of course.

And mayonnaise.

^This. Just say no to Pineapples. Yuck. :P
    And orange peels

Seriously - grow up.

Lots of people eat orange peel in various forms around the world. The fact you bring this up on every thread you both appear in is childish to the extreme.
  • Sunny____
    Options
    With bread, of course.

And mayonnaise.

And orange peels

Seriously - grow up.

Lots of people eat orange peel in various forms around the world. The fact you bring this up on every thread you both appear in is childish to the extreme.
    I bring it up on every thread? I have only been a member a couple of days. I have never mentioned it before. Sorry I declined your friend's request this morning. I guess it has your panties in a bunch now. I do see though that declining you was wise. I love when I follow my instincts.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    With bread, of course.

And mayonnaise.

And orange peels

Seriously - grow up.

It's the holistic way.
  • Iron_Feline
    Options
    With bread, of course.

And mayonnaise.

And orange peels

Seriously - grow up.

I bring it up on every thread? I have only been a member a couple of days. I have never mentioned it before. Sorry I declined your friend's request this morning. I guess it has your panties in a bunch now. I do see though that declining you was wise. I love when I follow my instincts.

Yeah you have let me find the thread. - feel free to go through you own list of post to find it before I prove you wrong though. :wink:

Oh I don't care you refused it. my panties are fine.
  • Sunny____
    Options
    What? I have no idea what you're talking about. Being that I have never said anything about orange peels other than in THIS thread (but have read the jokes). I welcome you to prove it. Be my guest. Rumors are unexceptable!

Oh and don't forget, you said I say it "in every thread". I have been posting A LOT in the last two days. Would you like the threads?
  • Iron_Feline
    Options
    What? I have no idea what you're talking about. Being that I have never said anything about orange peels other than in THIS thread (but have read the jokes). I welcome you to prove it. Be my guest. Rumors are unexceptable!

Oh yeah - sorry that was your previous persona S_U_M_M_E_R.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options

2vwadt3.jpg
  • Sunny____
    Options

What?
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Sunny and Summer also: Previously did the Master Cleanse and are just now starting to help their migraines and allergies.

And also harped on Joylia for her orange peel choice of candy.

If you're not her, then it's an astounding coincidence that you bring it up out of nowhere. Orange peels, not exactly a common thought when discussing fattening foods related to breads.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    No.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options

You must think the rest of us are pretty thick
  • Sunny____
    Options
    No.
    Is this "no" about me? Will you tell me what they are talking about?
  • driley9330
    driley9330 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Yes. Whole wheat bread is the best to eat and has the most fiber.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Okay, let's say I believed that bread or highly refined carbs or table sugar had some sort of fat storing response. If I'm in calorie deficit, won't this newly stored fat immediately be used for energy at some point during the day? I mean, this fat storing isn't magical, is it? My body needs 2800 cals daily to live, I'm eating 2000, 500 cals worth of refined carbs get turned into fat, then my body uses those the same way it uses glucose for energy, right?

Or does the 500 cal from bread/sugar/HFC defy all laws of reason, math, logic, and thermodynamics? I ask again, is this process magical?