Is bread generally fattening?

Options

Replies

• Sunny____
    Sunny____ Posts: 214
    Options
    There you have it folks. Listen to the member above and. Eat white bread, eat white rice, eat white potatoes and be healthy, lean and sexy. Thanks for sharing. The world will be a much better place now that members are armed with your info.

You're welcome.
    Mean!

Saying "You're welcome" is mean?

Oh, I GET IT!

We must be in backwards land, because you think white foods are fattening and you also think "You're welcome" is mean.

I'm sorry, I'll play along next time.
    I didn't say that, you did. I am actually a really sweet person. I want to see your diary to see all of the "high GI foods" you just claimed you eat PLENTY of. You have a 6 pack I see that. I always heard abs were made in the kitchen. I am going to eat more high GI foods if this is your diet as you claim.

The individual food sources are not relevant.

In order of importance:

Calories
    Macronutrients (sufficient protein and dietary fat, enough carbs to meet preferential and performance needs)
    Micronutrients (Eating crap all day may lead you to nutrient deficiencies)

How you compose your diet as far as individual food items leaves you with a whole lot of personal preference.

Please (seriously) read the linked thread that I attached on glycemic index. It's a great write up and it contains the necessary research to point out the flaws in the GI index.
    I put micronutrients first. Macros are second.

They are both important, I was strictly speaking about fat loss/getting a 6 pack.

Generally speaking (this is very vague)

Calories ---> Change in weight.
    Macronutrients ---> Change in body composition
    Micronutrients ---> Health

And there is some minor overlap but that's a broad categorization as a general tool for people.

Food selection can vary quite heavily and still produce excellent results.
    Thanks for your input. I am here to learn. I don't know a lot about a lot YET.

I absolutely cannot read a MFP thread. I don't trust any of these people. If a doctor didn't say it, I am more apt to believe it. Even they disagree, but it is at the least more reliable. I also believe SOME nutritionists. I believe what that guy said whose quotes I was trying to decipher, bc it was the same thing I heard Dr Furhman say a few nights ago. I was only trying to decipher his quote, bc I am still learning. I am far from an expert. I am here to read and then to research based on what ppl say here, but I don't take their word for it, it just forces me to research.
  • Sunny____
    Options
    The reason I wanted to see your diary is bc you said you eat a lot of GI foods. I don't understand how you can have the body you do and eat a lot of GI foods. I didn't believe you, but maybe you do.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I absolutely cannot read a MFP thread. I don't trust any of these people. If a doctor didn't say it, I am more apt to believe it. Even they disagree, but it is at the least more reliable. I also believe SOME nutritionists. I believe what that guy said whose quotes I was trying to decipher, bc it was the same thing I heard Dr Furhman say a few nights ago. I was only trying to decipher his quote, bc I am still learning. I am far from an expert. I am here to read and then to research based on what ppl say here, but I don't take their word for it, it just forces me to research.

The thread he linked has links to peer reviewed research. Do you trust PubMed?

edited to remove infiniquotes
  • sunnylv
    sunnylv Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    http://articles.latimes.com/2013/feb/02/health/la-he-five-questions-davis-20130202
    This article is about William Davis, M.D.:

The cardiologist believes wheat is the single biggest contributor to the country's obesity epidemic, in part because aggressive breeding methods and genetic manipulation have turned it into what Davis derides as a "Frankenwheat." One of its most troubling side effects? Triggering uncontrollable carb cravings, the doctor said.

The advice to cut your fat and eat whole grains is the worst advice you can possibly pass on to people. I say, "Eat more fat. Eat as little grains as possible." Grains really don't belong in the human experience.

I didn't go looking to demonize wheat. I told my patients to stop eating [wheat products] as part of treatment because many were suffering from diabetes or were prediabetic. But they'd come back in three to six months, and they were 25 to 40 pounds lighter. And they'd say, "The pain in my wrist and shoulder is gone." "My [irritable bowel syndrome symptoms] are gone." I only did it for blood sugar. But I thought, "What in the world is in wheat besides its potential to raise blood sugar? Why would their asthma go away? Why would someone's food obsession disappear?" So many things happened. In the beginning I had no idea why. I had to see it thousands of time before it got drilled into my head. We are treating the consumption of modern wheat. Only we call it hypertension. Obesity. Arthritis. Acid reflux. … You take out the wheat, all that goes away. You could argue that wheat is perfectly crafted to exert maximum damage to multiple organs.

I gave up wheat. I don't touch the stuff. I have lost weight, gained better skin, lost all allergy symptoms, blood pressure normal, tryglycerides, normal. Cholesterol Normal. The afternoon fogginess and the 3 PM....reach for a snack....not necessary.

You have to read Wheat Belly. You will be amazed about how awful modern wheat is for your body.

Check out the Wheat Belly facebook page also. 44,000 fans.

Lisa
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    There you have it folks. Listen to the member above and. Eat white bread, eat white rice, eat white potatoes and be healthy, lean and sexy. Thanks for sharing. The world will be a much better place now that members are armed with your info.

You're welcome.
    Mean!

Saying "You're welcome" is mean?

Oh, I GET IT!

We must be in backwards land, because you think white foods are fattening and you also think "You're welcome" is mean.

I'm sorry, I'll play along next time.
    I didn't say that, you did. I am actually a really sweet person. I want to see your diary to see all of the "high GI foods" you just claimed you eat PLENTY of. You have a 6 pack I see that. I always heard abs were made in the kitchen. I am going to eat more high GI foods if this is your diet as you claim.

The individual food sources are not relevant.

In order of importance:

Calories
    Macronutrients (sufficient protein and dietary fat, enough carbs to meet preferential and performance needs)
    Micronutrients (Eating crap all day may lead you to nutrient deficiencies)

How you compose your diet as far as individual food items leaves you with a whole lot of personal preference.

Please (seriously) read the linked thread that I attached on glycemic index. It's a great write up and it contains the necessary research to point out the flaws in the GI index.
    I put micronutrients first. Macros are second.

They are both important, I was strictly speaking about fat loss/getting a 6 pack.

Generally speaking (this is very vague)

Calories ---> Change in weight.
    Macronutrients ---> Change in body composition
    Micronutrients ---> Health

And there is some minor overlap but that's a broad categorization as a general tool for people.

First and foremost do you understand that the link I provided you contains peer reviewed research to support the information in it?

You should read this:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/532251-let-s-talk-about-the-gi-index
  • jodeebee62
    Options
    everything is fattening if you eat too much of it, and dont keep moving.. I generally eat dense wholemeal/grain bread, specifically cos I am hypoglycaemic and need to keep sugars regular and not spiking otherwise I crash.. if I eat white bread or too many starches I might as well give up on my day and go to bed..

also depends what you have on your bread, and also how much you eat per day.. general rule of thumb for carbs is < 60g per meal and < 200g per day..
  • CoachDreesTraining
    CoachDreesTraining Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I'm under 10% BF, workout less than 2 hours a week, and drink a soda/energy drink daily.

BUT, I also workout smart, and eat 'fairly' clean throughout the day.

Personal experience mean nothing. Look at a personal that eats mainly processed foods like white bread, and then look at someone that eats mainly whole foods. Which one has a lower bodyfat %?

It's so simple, yet I still constantly hear people saying "calories in, calories out."

You wonder why over half of America is obese?
  • SideSteel
    Options
    The reason I wanted to see your diary is bc you said you eat a lot of GI foods. I don't understand how you can have the body you do and eat a lot of GI foods. I didn't believe you, but maybe you do.

In the past 8 days, (end of my last bulk, start of my cut) I have eaten ice cream 3-4 nights (4 to 5 servings per bowl). I eat white potatoes every few days. I eat jasmine (white) rice pretty regularly.

I make absolutely no consideration over glycemic index in my food selection because it makes no appreciable difference to my progress. I am eating in a caloric deficit over time and I'm oxidizing more fat than I'm storing.

I really think the thread I linked will help you if you would go read it.
  • Sunny____
    Options
    http://articles.latimes.com/2013/feb/02/health/la-he-five-questions-davis-20130202
    This article is about William Davis, M.D.:

The cardiologist believes wheat is the single biggest contributor to the country's obesity epidemic, in part because aggressive breeding methods and genetic manipulation have turned it into what Davis derides as a "Frankenwheat." One of its most troubling side effects? Triggering uncontrollable carb cravings, the doctor said.

The advice to cut your fat and eat whole grains is the worst advice you can possibly pass on to people. I say, "Eat more fat. Eat as little grains as possible." Grains really don't belong in the human experience.

I didn't go looking to demonize wheat. I told my patients to stop eating [wheat products] as part of treatment because many were suffering from diabetes or were prediabetic. But they'd come back in three to six months, and they were 25 to 40 pounds lighter. And they'd say, "The pain in my wrist and shoulder is gone." "My [irritable bowel syndrome symptoms] are gone." I only did it for blood sugar. But I thought, "What in the world is in wheat besides its potential to raise blood sugar? Why would their asthma go away? Why would someone's food obsession disappear?" So many things happened. In the beginning I had no idea why. I had to see it thousands of time before it got drilled into my head. We are treating the consumption of modern wheat. Only we call it hypertension. Obesity. Arthritis. Acid reflux. … You take out the wheat, all that goes away. You could argue that wheat is perfectly crafted to exert maximum damage to multiple organs.

I gave up wheat. I don't touch the stuff. I have lost weight, gained better skin, lost all allergy symptoms, blood pressure normal, tryglycerides, normal. Cholesterol Normal. The afternoon fogginess and the 3 PM....reach for a snack....not necessary.

You have to read Wheat Belly. You will be amazed about how awful modern wheat is for your body.

Check out the Wheat Belly facebook page also. 44,000 fans.

Lisa
    I like this. I like your name (Sunny) too. See mine? LOL. I heard that you can't even get TRUE wheat anymore (at least not in America) because it has been messed with and changed so much. I switched from white flour to wheat and found huge bloating in my stomach and nausea. I have had to call in sick to work after a lunch break from eating wheat. I went back to white bread for this reason. I know that white bread is said to be worse than wheat, but for me it is definitely better. I do fine with a piece of white bread. I won't touch wheat. Even the gluten free product make me bloat though. Not sure what that is about yet. I rarely ever eat any bread at all though. I have found substitutes like brown rice and lettuce leaves both replace bread for me.
  • SideSteel
    Options

They are obese because they eat too many calories over time.
  • andyisandy
    andyisandy Posts: 433 Member
    Options

They are obese because they eat too many calories over time.
    Logic^^
  • Sunny____
    Options

In the past 8 days, (end of my last bulk, start of my cut) I have eaten ice cream 3-4 nights (4 to 5 servings per bowl). I eat white potatoes every few days. I eat jasmine (white) rice pretty regularly.

I make absolutely no consideration over glycemic index in my food selection because it makes no appreciable difference to my progress. I am eating in a caloric deficit over time and I'm oxidizing more fat than I'm storing.

Bulking and eating hi GI foods/ high energy foods makes sense (I think). I think that means when you want to bulk (build muscle) you need foods which are sugary for the energy for the workouts and for immediately after you lift. Right? So you are eating this post workout? That is something different. I mean I know muscle burns fat. But most ppl here are just overweight and don't bulk and lift and cut like you do. They shouldn't be eating bread unless they are just finishing lifting.
  • msstuard
    msstuard Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    [/quote]Thanks for your input. I am here to learn. I don't know a lot about a lot YET.

[/quote]

Good, but be careful where you seek the answers. Most sources are just trying to sell something. there are some good links posted.
  • SideSteel
    Options

Bulking and eating bad foods or high calorie, high energy foods makes sense (I think). I think that means when you want to bulk (build muscle) you need foods which are sugary for the energy for the workouts and for immediately after you lift. Right? So you are eating this post workout? That is something different. I mean I know muscle burns fat. But most ppl here are just overweight and don't bulk and lift and cut like you do. They shouldn't be eating bread unless they are just finishing lifting.

I'm saying I ate those foods while cutting. I've also dropped from 195.6 to 188.9 in 8 days at that intake.

I am not eating that stuff post workout, I eat it right before bed in most circumstances.
  • Sunny____
    Options
    Is bulking where you eat a lot and build muscle. Cutting is leaning out, trimming fat and depleting water for shows, etc?
    I don't understand that. I know almost for a fact (or I read) that the hi GI foods are okay during bulking. And the only time it is okay to eat something like that is immediately after lifting.

So you are telling me you eat high GI foods during cutting?
  • CoachDreesTraining
    CoachDreesTraining Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Everyone should watch the documentary "Hungry for Change."

It does a great job of explaining what processed foods and artificial sweeteners do to the body.

It also explains how people's 'hunger pains' are from a of lack of micros, and not macros.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    For anyone else that happens to be reading my comments and excluding the middle (http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/excluding-the-middle.html)

--I am not suggesting that people ignore food selection and I'm not suggesting that you should eat junk food all day. I'm also not advocating a diet composed entirely of ice cream and white bread because you'd not hit your nutrient needs by doing that.

What I AM suggesting is that the glycemic index is heavily flawed for a variety of reasons and as such it's not a good tool to use for weight loss.

You can create an energy deficit using a diet that is mostly nutrient dense whole-food sources. Do this, and the inclusion of some white bread or some ice cream in that hypocaloric and nutrient sufficient diet, will not make any significant harm to your progress.

You do not need to fear treats and they do not make you fat on their own.

Food is not bad.

Entire diets can be bad if you do it wrong.

I think I should stop posting now.
  • Sunny____
    Options

[/quote]
    Good, but be careful where you seek the answers. Most sources are just trying to sell something. there are some good links posted.
    I know it. I read everything from everyone reputable and then try to process it. And in many cases experiment and come up with my own conclusions. Like I said, anyone can write an article, so I make sure the article is recent and the author someone with credentials and who is reputable and educated.
  • Sunny____
    Options
    Everyone should watch the documentary "Hungry for Change."

It does a great job of explaining what processed foods and artificial sweeteners do to the body.

It also explains how people's 'hunger pains' are from a of lack of micros, and not macros.
    That is exactly what Dr Joel Fuhrman said. That is why I said micros are my main source.
  • Sunny____
    Options

Bulking and eating bad foods or high calorie, high energy foods makes sense (I think). I think that means when you want to bulk (build muscle) you need foods which are sugary for the energy for the workouts and for immediately after you lift. Right? So you are eating this post workout? That is something different. I mean I know muscle burns fat. But most ppl here are just overweight and don't bulk and lift and cut like you do. They shouldn't be eating bread unless they are just finishing lifting.

I'm saying I ate those foods while cutting. I've also dropped from 195.6 to 188.9 in 8 days at that intake.

I am not eating that stuff post workout, I eat it right before bed in most circumstances.
    I just read that the only time it is really safe to eat a GI food like wheat bread is after a weight lifting session. One should have a "cheat meal" but not indulge daily on treats. Or at least i can't. I suppose everyone is different. I am not sure if you are lying to me to be funny or what is going on, but I am bailing from this conversation. I am not going to leave here a better person I have figured that one out by now.