Is bread generally fattening?

Options

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    No processed food is all this diet means. And I think of all the groups above, that is one thing they all will agree on.

Bread is a processed food.
    I (and many others) disagree that any/every processed food is "bad". Whey protein is processed, yet many "clean eaters" rely upon it as part of their protein intake. The water we drink is processed - it goes through purification, chlorination and, in many locales, fluoridation. Frozen fruits/vegetables are "processed" - they're separated/cut, washed and put into bags. There are many "processed" foods which are perfectly healthy and beneficial. Furthermore, eating "bad" processed foods (as classified by others, not me) is not unhealthy given moderation, context and dosage. To those who don't suffer from orthorexia, there's absolutely nothing wrong with eating pizza, hamburgers, macaroni and cheese, candy, etc. in moderation, within the context of an overall diet consisting mostly of whole foods designed to hit one's micro/macronutrient/caloric goals.
  • _Lori_Lynn_
    _Lori_Lynn_ Posts: 460
    Options
    Fuhrman is a quack like Oz. I bought the book and it's going in the bin.
    I love Fuhrman. I think his plan is great. How can you argue with clean eating?
    I don't ever agree with arbitrarily excluding any food or food group from one's diet, absent any medical issues requiring it. It's ridiculous and completely unnecessary. "Clean eating" is a vague, undefinable phrase which means many things to different people. Ask an omnivore what "clean eating" means, then ask the same question of a pescatarian. Then ask a vegan, and maybe throw in a paleo dieter for good measure. I'll guarantee you that each of their definitions of "clean eating" will differ markedly.

Bread is not "unclean". It's not a "no-no" food. It doesn't magically cause weight gain, absent a caloric surplus (and the same can be said of any other food/food group). Anybody who says otherwise is sadly deluded and has no idea what they're talking about.
    No processed food is all this diet means. And I think of all the groups above, that is one thing they all will agree on.

bread is a processed food. ok.

and water is wet.

fantastic.

Please be careful of the water especially if they put it in a bottle.

bottled water is a processed food and will make you gain weight.
    Yep, water weight. You are correct.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

even water weight is weight and i refuse to gain it. for this reason i never drink water, neither the processed poison that comes in plastic bottles, nor the garbage that comes out of my sink that has been treated in giant water treatment centers using nasty chemicals i can't even pronounce. on occasion, when out on a nature hike, i will take a little water directly from a natural spring, but whenever i do, i immediately urinate or sprint profusely and work up a sweat so that i can immediately shed any of that water weight.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options

even water weight is weight and i refuse to gain it. for this reason i never drink water, neither the processed poison that comes in plastic bottles, nor the garbage that comes out of my sink that has been treated in giant water treatment centers using nasty chemicals i can't even pronounce. on occasion, when out on a nature hike, i will take a little water directly from a natural spring, but whenever i do, i immediately urinate or sprint profusely and work up a sweat so that i can immediately shed any of that water weight.

:drinker: I'll drink to that.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    This is very similar to the Dr. Joel Fuhrman program I keep talking about and it makes sense. I am trying to adopt it. I believe in it and have had good results with the sampling I have done with it.
    Got it. You prefer junk science from a discredited quack physician with an overt agenda over peer-reviewed scientific studies. SideSteel has provided solid advice backed by science and even given you the links to the research so you could educate yourself. If you prefer to cling to dogma and pseudoscience, good luck with your program. Just know that what you believe is incorrect and not based upon fact.
    The program said to eat a lot of veggies and fruits, where most of your diet is from the veggies. To get fat from avocados and nuts. To eat light dairy and light oil. To eat more fish than chicken and eggs. To avoid beef for the most part. To eat legumes before chicken and eggs. To make your own salad dressing from fruits and nuts. To avoid processed foods. He said when choosing fruits and veggies that some rank higher than others on a scale and to choose say kale over cauliflower. An apple above other fruits. And you think this is quacky? I am confused you call this diet, "junky".

Sidesteel said he eats, "plenty of GI foods" and ice cream before bed during cutting. I can't do that. I also can't read yet another MFP thread where a bunch of mostly-non-experts argue and attack one another such as we see going on here. I don't have time to weed through all of that. I am sorry you think I like quacks, but I do have to follow the diet I described above by the doctor. Thanks for your concern though. I can't find anything that I don't like about it. I will splurge on occasion, probably once a week or once every two weeks. I like wine, I love pizza, I love Mexican food. Sushi rocks, but mainly, yes I will follow Dr. Fuhrman's plan as described above. I am sorry you think the diet I described above is wrong. I am sorry you think it is not based on fact. I believe it is.

You can believe anything you want.. but don't spout it as fact to others here.

You have been agreeing with the guy who said high GI foods will make you fat. If eaten in excess they will, as will anything.. but alone at a calorie deficit they will nto make you gain fat.

Dr. Fuhrman is not the most respect Doctor in the world. He wants to make money on yet another diet. A diet that tells you to cut something out of your diet for any reason other than a medical issue with that food is wrong. You do not need to cut anything out. Dr Fuhrman says not to eat red meat... not sure why as red meat can be part of a very healthy diet. He also says eggs and chicken are sub par foods and protein sources. I don't see the science behind that as both foods are great sources of nutrients. This "doctor" is as respectable as Dr. Oz... both should not be medical doctors with the crap they claim as fact.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    I hope the actual OP with the original question actually got their question answered.
    I am sure she has a lot of food for thought here. Like all other threads, there is always contradicting information, but it is grounds for research to prove or disprove comments.

Sunny, taking on the IIFYM crowd like a champ.

you're my new hero. :)
  • CoachReddy
    Options

I (and many others) disagree that any/every processed food is "bad". Whey protein is processed, yet many "clean eaters" rely upon it as part of their protein intake. The water we drink is processed - it goes through purification, chlorination and, in many locales, fluoridation. Frozen fruits/vegetables are "processed" - they're separated/cut, washed and put into bags. There are many "processed" foods which are perfectly healthy and beneficial. Furthermore, eating "bad" processed foods (as classified by others, not me) is not unhealthy given moderation, context and dosage. To those who don't suffer from orthorexia, there's absolutely nothing wrong with eating pizza, hamburgers, macaroni and cheese, candy, etc. in moderation, within the context of an overall diet consisting mostly of whole foods designed to hit one's micro/macronutrient/caloric goals.

i know you've got me on ignore, but you are SO certain that you're 100% correct about this, it's hysterical.

give me a list of those processed foods that are "perfectly healthy and beneficial" and then list the benefits.
  • RunForChai
    RunForChai Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Yes! Start anew tomorrow.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    I hope the actual OP with the original question actually got their question answered.
    I am sure she has a lot of food for thought here. Like all other threads, there is always contradicting information, but it is grounds for research to prove or disprove comments.

I'd rather be with the IIFYM crowd than with people that demonize certain foods or food groups, and assign ridiculous rules to when you should or shouldn't eat something. Most of which is based bad science, quackery and a fear of 'bad' food.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

I'd rather be with the IIFYM crowd than with people that demonize certain foods or food groups, and assign ridiculous rules to when you should or shouldn't eat something. Most of which is based bad science, quackery and a fear of 'bad' food.

nah. not at all. :)
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    I didn't know the body was smart enough to pick and choose what food it will use for energy and what food it will store as fat based of the quality of said food.

Body: "You just ate a bread, therefore I must store as fat and you get no energy haha"
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I don't ever agree with arbitrarily excluding any food or food group from one's diet, absent any medical issues requiring it. It's ridiculous and completely unnecessary. "Clean eating" is a vague, undefinable phrase which means many things to different people. Ask an omnivore what "clean eating" means, then ask the same question of a pescatarian. Then ask a vegan, and maybe throw in a paleo dieter for good measure. I'll guarantee you that each of their definitions of "clean eating" will differ markedly.

Bread is not "unclean". It's not a "no-no" food. It doesn't magically cause weight gain, absent a caloric surplus (and the same can be said of any other food/food group). Anybody who says otherwise is sadly deluded and has no idea what they're talking about.

Meat is also processed. So are veggies, unless you picked them right off the vine and ate them then and there. All food is processed to a degree. That makes the "unprocessed" definition of "clean eating" an invalid/unworkable definition.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I didn't know the body was smart enough to pick and choose what food it will use for energy and what food it will store as fat based of the quality of said food.

Body: "You just ate a bread, therefore I must store as fat and you get no energy haha"

Lol! Kinda of like the Soup Nazi from Sienfeld!! NO ENERGY FOR YOU!
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    1. four biscuits is not a binge. I doubt it even qualifies as overeating.

Yes, four biscuits in one sitting is ridiculous - it's four servings in one sitting! Therefore, it is considered over eating.

Here is a link to a popular brand of biscuits:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/biscuits-pillsbury-biscuits-grands-flaky-layers-buttermilk-55898158

If you were to eat four of them, that would be 680 calories, 28g of fat, 100 carbs, 16g of sugar and a whopping 2160 mg of sodium...four biscuits in one sitting isn't healthy by any stretch of the imagination.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm not saying 1 or even 2 depending on what you're eating it with would be all that bad (everything in moderation) but four? No that's just over eating.

Widen your scope... thats only like a third of my daily calories. I could techincally go even hire if i wanted to gain at a more rapid rate...
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options

most people can't even agree what eating "clean" actually is.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/822501-halp-my-sandwich-isn-t-clean

http://body-improvements.com/resources/eat/#cleandirty
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    i don't know why i'm even bothering, i'm sure this has been posted in here before along with countless arguements to the contrary.

if your responsible with any food and eat in moderation its really not fattening.

but as foods good, yes its very fattening. Bread has the a higher glycemic index then sucrose (table sugar). But please dont take my word for it, take 3 min and google it.

That means that from a blood sugar stand point, most breads are as bad or worse then candy. and when your blood sugar is too high, your body releases insulin which forces the blood sugar to be out of the blood stream to be stored as fat.

the nutritionist told me that from a weight loss stand point, your better off eating a donut then a begal. the donut is the same or few calories, and typically has more fat (GI is effected by other foods eaten in the meal). The begal is more likely to trigger the insulin reponse.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Meat is also processed. So are veggies, unless you picked them right off the vine and ate them then and there. All food is processed to a degree. That makes the "unprocessed" definition of "clean eating" an invalid/unworkable definition.

lol that's not what processed means. veggies are washed. that's not processing. processing is grinding up lean beef, mushing it back together to form a patty, freezing it, and adding preservatives. processing is pasteurizing milk. processing is NOT butchering meat and putting it in a vacuum-sealed container.

but if that's what you need to tell yourself in order to make processed foods ok, then go ahead.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    i don't know why i'm even bothering, i'm sure this has been posted in here before along with countless arguements to the contrary.

if your responsible with any food and eat in moderation its really not fattening.

but as foods good, yes its very fattening. Bread has the a higher glycemic index then sucrose (table sugar). But please dont take my word for it, take 3 min and google it.

That means that from a blood sugar stand point, most breads are as bad or worse then candy. and when your blood sugar is too high, your body releases insulin which forces the blood sugar to be out of the blood stream to be stored as fat.

the nutritionist told me that from a weight loss stand point, your better off eating a donut then a begal. the donut is the same or few calories, and typically has more fat (GI is effected by other foods eaten in the meal). The begal is more likely to trigger the insulin reponse.

Nothing is stored as fat unless there is a suprlus of calories.

And i"m not sure why a bagel is worse than a donut. I would not go back to a nutritionist who told me I should eat a donut over a bagel. The donut has more sugar... more fat... most likely more sodium... the bagel has more nutrients. I fail to see why a donut should be eaten over a bagel. While a bagel is not the greatest of foods out there, there is nothing wrong with eating it... and it is definately better than a donut.
  • ajhugz
    ajhugz Posts: 452 Member
    Options

And i"m not sure why a bagel is worse than a donut. I would not go back to a nutritionist who told me I should eat a donut over a bagel. The donut has more sugar... more fat... most likely more sodium... the bagel has more nutrients. I fail to see why a donut should be eaten over a bagel. While a bagel is not the greatest of foods out there, there is nothing wrong with eating it... and it is definately better than a donut.

The doughnut is a better choice because it has less carbs and less sodium than a bagel depending on the type of donut you have. The problem isn't storing it as fat. its how quickly it turns into sugar in your body. You should look up the glycemic index and get a better idea of WHY before you determine that a bagel is definitely better than a donut.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options

evidently you need to do some research about GI.

although i'd agree that over time at least if you calories net out to zero then your not going to gain any fat, that is the function of insulin.