WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY

Options

Replies

• weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Donna--
    So sorry to hear about Princess. I hope your relatives are doing ok, but I can certainly understand why they would be upset.

There can be genetic issues with any breed of dog, but the Brussels Griffon (which is what I think she was, based upon your comment about the nickname) isn't a particularly sickly breed. As with any purebred, if the bloodline has genetic issues, they can affect the offspring.

I have familiarity with pancreatitis, and unfortunately, it can be very serious. It is possible to get a bad case of it if a small dog eats something that is high in fat. There can be other causes as well. I am sure your relatives' vet already went over all the possibilities with them, but this info is presented for everyone. Be careful about the kind of "peoplefood" treats you give your dog--especially if that dog is small. The same thing that won't make a large dog blink can make a small one very ill.

Alice--
    Happy Birthday!!

Just on here for a sec, so BFN

Barb
  • donna56
    donna56 Posts: 412
    Options
    Barb, thanks for your post. I don't know where my SIL found her info at, that's just what she told me. I can believe my BIL didn't help any underlying condition. Geez, he fed that dog anything and everything. He at one time was giving her ice cream for a treat. By the way, the breed you said was what she was. I couldn't think for the life of me what it was called.

My Simon won't eat anything but table food and it makes me mad because Bill feeds it to him and he is very spoiled. I keep telling him that it is not good for him, but he don't listen. I read your post to him so maybe he'll think about it. Simon is pretty healthy thank God, but sooner or later all this bad food is going to take it's toll on him.
  • AliceLMS
    AliceLMS Posts: 2,428 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the lovely birthday wishes. Family all here tonight for a cookout. I'm still under my calories but will have to work that piece of cake off. I did give the special piece with all the icing roses to my grandaughter.

:heart: Alice
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Barb, thanks for your post. I don't know where my SIL found her info at, that's just what she told me. I can believe my BIL didn't help any underlying condition. Geez, he fed that dog anything and everything. He at one time was giving her ice cream for a treat. By the way, the breed you said was what she was. I couldn't think for the life of me what it was called.

My Simon won't eat anything but table food and it makes me mad because Bill feeds it to him and he is very spoiled. I keep telling him that it is not good for him, but he don't listen. I read your post to him so maybe he'll think about it. Simon is pretty healthy thank God, but sooner or later all this bad food is going to take it's toll on him.

Donna--

Here is something more you can read to him. If you do a google search on "bad food for dogs" you will learn more than he may WANT to know..

"Which foods could be dangerous for my dog?

A. Some foods which are edible for humans, and even other species of animals, can pose hazards for dogs because of their different metabolism. Some may cause only mild digestive upsets, whereas, others can cause severe illness, and even death. The following common food items should not be fed (intentionally or unintentionally) to dogs. This list is, of course, incomplete because we can not possibly list everything your dog should not eat.

Items to avoid and Reasons to avoid
    Alcoholic beverages Can cause intoxication, coma, and death.
    Baby food Can contain onion powder, which can be toxic to dogs. (Please see onion below.) Can also result in nutritional deficiencies, if fed in large amounts.
    Bones from fish, poultry, or other meat sources Can cause obstruction or laceration of the digestive system.
    Cat food Generally too high in protein and fats.
    Chocolate, coffee, Citrus oil extracts Can cause vomiting.
    Fat trimmings Can cause pancreatitis.
    Grapes and raisins Contain an unknown toxin, which can damage the kidneys. There have been no problems associated with grape seed extract.
    Hops Unknown compound causes panting, increased heart rate, elevated temperature, seizures, and death.
    Human vitamin supplements containing iron Can damage the lining of the digestive system and be toxic to the other organs including the liver and kidneys.
    Large amounts of liver Can cause Vitamin A toxicity, which affects muscles and bones.
    Macadamia nuts Contain an unknown toxin, which can affect the digestive and nervous systems and muscle.
    Marijuana Can depress the nervous system, cause vomiting, and changes in the heart rate.
    Milk and other dairy products Some adult dogs and cats do not have sufficient amounts of the enzyme lactase, which breaks down the lactose in milk. This can result in diarrhea. Lactose-free milk products are available for pets.
    Moldy or spoiled food, garbage Can contain multiple toxins causing vomiting and diarrhea and can also affect other organs.
    Mushrooms Can contain toxins, which may affect multiple systems in the body, cause shock, and result in death.
    Onions and garlic (raw, cooked, or powder) Contain sulfoxides and disulfides, which can damage red blood cells and cause anemia. Cats are more susceptible than dogs. Garlic is less toxic than onions.
    Persimmons Seeds can cause intestinal obstruction and enteritis.
    Pits from peaches and plums Can cause obstruction of the digestive tract.
    Potato, rhubarb, and tomato leaves; potato and tomato stems Contain oxalates, which can affect the digestive, nervous, and urinary systems. This is more of a problem in livestock.
    Raw eggs Contain an enzyme called avidin, which decreases the absorption of biotin (a B vitamin). This can lead to skin and hair coat problems. Raw eggs may also contain Salmonella.
    Raw fish Can result in a thiamine (a B vitamin) deficiency leading to loss of appetite, seizures, and in severe cases, death. More common if raw fish is fed regularly.
    Salt If eaten in large quantities it may lead to electrolyte imbalances.
    String Can become trapped in the digestive system; called a "string foreign body."
    Sugary foods Can lead to obesity, dental problems, and possibly diabetes mellitus.
    Table scraps (in large amounts) Table scraps are not nutritionally balanced. They should never be more than 10% of the diet. Fat should be trimmed from meat; bones should not be fed.
    Tobacco Contains nicotine, which affects the digestive and nervous systems. Can result in rapid heart beat, collapse, coma, and death.
    Yeast dough Can expand and produce gas in the digestive system, causing pain and possible rupture of the stomach or intestines.
    Xylitol (artificial sweetener) Can cause liver failure."

Here is a link to the page:
    http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+1659&aid=1030

Barb
  • donna56
    Options
    Barb - Thank you, that's something else I will print out and keep. Maybe I will even make a copy to give to my BIL. They will end up getting another small dog as he is 72 yrs old and believes that a small dog is a good companion while his wife is at work. He says Princess kept him active, plus she was alot of company for him.
    People don't realize that they are literally loving their pets to death.
    Again, thank you, Donna
  • kackie
    kackie Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies, Happy May and Happy belated Mothers'Day to all. We just got in LATE last night from our wonderful family trip to Bahamas. I am NOT getting on the scale until friday...didn't too terrible but, Mimi, the wine spritzer idea just didn't hold up on that beautiful beach as well as I would have liked. The Pina Calada just called to me and I am not that kind of drink person usually. DH would bring me one and I didn't turn him down often. At least I didn't do this daily...but 3 times during 10 days still is a lot for me. I did great yesterday in the airports, however, and came in under calorie by skipping dinner having a to-go airport Caesar chicken salad. Not bad, really. The PLAN is to jump right back in!:flowerforyou:

I will catch up on all the posts later tonight, but wanted to say hello and how much I missed all of you. Thanks for you who sent messages. I could not log on there but appreciate the thoughts.

Jeanne, I am so sorry for your family's loss. What a sad, sad thing to happen on Mothers' Day.

Take care all! Kackie
  • caminogirl
    caminogirl Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Jeannie - my condolences and my prayers. So very hard at anytime to lose someone but even more so when they are so young.

Exermom - crossing my fingers for a helpful ultrasound for PJ and a happy outcome.

Laura - we are experiencing the same types of issues. My MIL is already in a long term care (assisted living) situation and now that they are separated we see the steady decline in my FIL. It's difficult at times especially since we are far away, but my BIL who lives close and is bearing the brunt of it all is bar-none the most patient man in the world. I thank God for him everyday - he's destined for sainthood in my books!

Yesterday I managed to stay on track (after a slightly disastrous weekend) right up until my neighbour asked me over for coffee and low and behold a nice piece of lemon cream cake was already cut and in front of me. It is hard to say no - and even if I did, no is just not heard. "I'm just shy" she says "eat" and not wanting to be rude, I eat. She speaks only Italian and I don't, so our conversation is somewhat limited but we are friendly. I worry that my 'no's' may be misinterpreted and insult her, so down went the lemon cake. Yet, I don't want to hide out all summer - I'm going to have to find a way to explain that I can't eat all her delicious baking .... which she doesn't eat as she's diabetic!! :smile: Perhaps I should 'pretend' to be diabetic too :wink:

Have a good day everyone,
    Caminogirl
  • donna56
    Options
    Well ladies, it was nice knowing you the short time I have been in this group :cry: My soon 2 b dh is going to kill me! :wink: :laugh: I just ordered a Polar heartrate monitor :drinker: I think I may have to tell a story about how much I paid for it :noway: :laugh: He is not at all into this fitness stuff. :grumble: I just decided, oh well, I'm worth it :smile:

208998.png
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Good Morning!

It's supposed to get colder with rain/snow tonight into tomorrow:sad: Will warmer weather ever get here to stay? Just glad we aren't farther north into Wyoming where they are expecting up to a foot of snow:noway:

Talked with Mom last night, she had left her window open Sunday night and couldn't find her call button to get someone to close the window, now she is sick:sick: she sounded really awful, she thinks she has bronchitis, not sure if that's true or it's her self diagnosis.

Caminogirl - how nice that your neighbor invited you over:flowerforyou: maybe there could be a way you could let her know you are dieting and would still like to see her for just coffee:drinker:

Kackie - Welcome back :flowerforyou: did you take lots of pictures, would love to have a warm vicarious vacation right now:bigsmile:

Barb - thanks for that list about what's bad for dogs, we are so guilty of letting Peanut have tastes of a lot of that stuff:blushing: nothing in large quantities but stilll:blushing: :blushing: It reminded me of when I was growing up we had a dog (mutt) and we fed her, raw hamburger with grapenut flakes and an egg or cottage cheese...the vet always said her coat was the most heallthy he'd ever seen..she lived a long life too about 16 years!

Donna56 - Keep up the great job, all the hard work is sure to pay off (coming off on the scale):flowerforyou:

I was so good yesterday, it's amazing how easy it is for me to be good at work, must be something about routine:wink: Everyone have a good day and keep up the good work:drinker:

Laura:smile:
  • BirdieM
    BirdieM Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    Donna: It is my guess that you didn’t gain weight with vegetables!:wink: It’s a learning process. And as far as the monitor goes,,,,yes, you are worth it!:flowerforyou:

Viv, I was off track last night :angry: and I’m sure it was an “I don’t give a da—“eating frenzy. :grumble: I was upset about being stuck in a situation that I didn’t know how to respond to. :noway: You know, the “I’ll be gracious and say what everyone else thinks I should say to keep the peace” or being honest and hurting someone. I chose to keep the doors of communication open by being polite but not compromising how I feel by just….not going there!:ohwell: . It still made me feel VERY uncomfortable:angry: ….so I ate Wheat thins and an extra fruit! OMG …as I said yesterday….my awful days now are not half as bad as they would have been a year ago! :flowerforyou:

Kathy: (pmjsmom; Sound like the shower went well and you made good food choices!:flowerforyou:

Wow Barb. You are the “Information Queen!”:laugh:

Kackie: I don’t think you did badly at all. A couple of “naughty” drinks in 10 days is very good. Had It been me I might have had them daily!!! :laugh: Welcome back!:flowerforyou:

Caminogirl: My first husband (who is now deceased) was Italian, and my MIL would always fill our plates and say...." yous eat!" I finally learned to keep something in my plate at all times :wink: (so she wouldn’t try to give me more) and when she wasn’t looking put some of the food in a napkin…. and the napkin in my pocketbook!:laugh:

Laura, I find it easier at work….most of the time….because I pack a lunch and try to only eat what I bring in, which is what I’m doing as we speak!

I got up this morning and exercised and put on a new attitude.:bigsmile: I can only change myself! So here's to living in the moment!:bigsmile: And letting other people make their own mistakes....and pray for them:bigsmile:

BirdieM:love:
  • mynyddisamrs
    mynyddisamrs Posts: 387
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Good evening all .....

I hope all's well with you all. Not much happening with me ....boring again!!
    Laura - hope your Mum is OK and that her chestcrecovers from the cold air.

In the calories so far .... scales were up this morning but I haven't registered that. :embarassed: Head in the sand ...comes to mind!
    I know I need to exercise ...my head knows it but my body finds ways of persuading me not to!! :happy: Tomorrow is Zumba day so at least I will do something then! My motivation seems to be at an all time low. DH is no help, as exercise is not in his vocabulary either!! I think I need to go away to Fat Camp for a few weeks where the decisions are made for me.....any ideas? Perhaps I'll come and stay with Barbie ...I'm sure She'll keep me on the straight and narrow !!!:bigsmile:

:laugh: Last night ...to keep me occupied I decided to dye a pair of new shoes. They were bought for dancing (Cruise) - Black suede / T Bar/ Gold trim on toe detail and gold heels. DH likes them but a bit too flashy for me. Also ...I couldn't wear them with one dress I like , as it needs just black or silver. Are you with me so far?.....
    Well ... I carefully applied the black die to all the gold trim and to the heels and left to dry. And left ...and left ...etc. Hoping for all black shoes. This morning the dye still came off. In finality, I wiped the residue with cotton wool to be left with, what are now ...black suede / TBar/ Silver looking trim and silvery mauve heels. Different anyway!! I think it will be fine as the dress is black with pale lilac and deeper mauve swirls. Phew!!

:glasses: Tonight ..To keep my mind off food ....I think I'm going to "Change" a skirt !! It belongs to the outfit I wore at no2 - son's wedding 5 years ago. It was always too long - being 5' tall - so I'm going to take out the zip and shorten it from the waist as it has a frill section at the hem. then perhaps I'll be able to give it an airing again. At least I can still get into it !!! I'll be able to wear it with the navy shoes I just had to buy yesterday!!!

So ...Bye for now
    :heart: Jackie
  • ainslieglen
    ainslieglen Posts: 110
    Options
    Thanks for the kind words Birdie. I know how lucky I am to have kids and grandkids to miss. I just want it All. Greedy sometimes!You have a super day, and I'll be right here with my mfp family.:drinker: Ainslieglen
  • BirdieM
    BirdieM Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    Jackie, you're a HOOT!!!!!
    BirdieM:laugh:
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Good evening all .....

I hope all's well with you all. Not much happening with me ....boring again!!
    Laura - hope your Mum is OK and that her chestcrecovers from the cold air.

So ...Bye for now
    :heart: Jackie

:flowerforyou: Same here Jackie not much happening with me either. All I seem to to is walk the dogs go to work come home walk the dogs quick chat on mfp and then bed. :smile:

:flowerforyou: My roots were showing so I dyed my hair on Sunday. It was a miracle it turned out okay. It was a bit late and instead of getting all the bottles out of the box I just read the instructions. This one had a pre- conditioner to put on dry hair first so I got what I thought was the pre conditioner out of the box and started putting it on my hair - the smell was so strong it made my eyes water, then I realised I had put the "dye" straight on to my hair :noway: :noway: I found the pre conditioner and put that into my hair then quickly put the rest of the colour into the bottle of developer, gave it a good shake and then mixed it into my hair. Left it on for 30 mins rinsed it all out and luckily it didn't turn green or drop out, it was a nice shade of blonde with no darker roots :smile: Whew I was a bit worried for a few minutes though. :bigsmile:

:smile: I am so tired , my daughter walked my socks off on our dog walk this evening, (all good exercise I know) mind you, It was a nice walk along country fields and through a wooded area, wish I'd put my ped on though, I would be interested to know how many steps it was.

Can't believe it's nearly 11pm already, where does the time go? I'll say goodnight.

:drinker: Chat again soon.

Viv :smile:
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I did not have a good weekend eating-wise. Mostly I was eating in a way that made it very hard to track. I definitely went over both days and maybe even Friday (when I WAH). I have these days every once in a while where I have to really force myself to drink and I feel like eating all day. Usually, I wake up one day and I pee like a racehorse and then I want to drink all the time and my appetite goes back to normal or even below normal.

They freak me out every time but, so far, nothing bad has happened due to them.

I also have an eye irritation and have to take steroids to control it. No more contacts for me for a while. Darn. They are great for working out and driving. Not so good for work though (even though they are supposedly adjusted for computer work) and definitely not good for reading.
  • AliceLMS
    AliceLMS Posts: 2,428 Member
    Options
    MacMadame I am having one of those days today. I could eat anything. Don't know where this ravenous appetite is coming from.
    I have had all the water I can swallow. I have sugar snap beans steaming. I am walking past the leftover Birthday cake. If my DIL does not take it, it goes in the trash. This has got to be a hormone issue. :angry: This is not a normal appetite!!

I think I can, I think I can, I think I can, I know I can, I know I can, I know I can, I know I can, I know I can, I know I can, I know I can!!!!!!!
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,397 Member
    Options
    Oh, remember how the Y was going to charge me to attend a dinner where they were going to thank us? Well, I wrote to the executive director and told him how I'd gone to a lot of Y meetings and had never been charged for them to thank the volunteers/teachers. Well, today I get an email where they are not going to charge the Board members, but if we bring someone with us, they will be charged $10. So I just might go for the free food, which if last year is any indication, it won't be fantastic food -- lots of fried stuff. But they did have cheese and fruit. I might as well get SOMETHING out of this volunteering.

Barb (weaklink) - we had a cat that had cancer. Vince was of the opinion that you should do everything humanly possible for the cat. You have absolutely no idea how much it hurt me when Sassy was losing his fur from the chemo, how many times he'd go behind the dresser (to me, he was just feeling too sick to be with people), how he'd get sick but there was nothing to throw up, how Vince and my dd were force feeding Sassy because Sassy didn't have muscle control. Oh, how I cried. When Vince finally decided to have Sassy put down, you know, I couldn't even cry, I just felt "well, you're no longer in pain". I felt bad, but also a bit relieved for Sassy, he was out of his misery. Maybe that makes me a cruel person, but I felt like I was looking out more for Sassy's feelings than anything else. That is why when Sadie was diagnosed with the fibrosarcoma, I told Vince that I just wanted Sadie to be at home, be happy, and let mother nature take its course. Today, if it weren't for this golf-ball size lump sticking out of his side, you'd never know that he had something wrong with him. If PJ has something that can't be "fixed", my feeling is that I'd like him home, to be happy, and when he's no longer happy ..... I don't even want to say it.
    Talk about a good shopper!

Donna - thoughts are with your IL.

Donna - which HRM did you get?

Well, PJ is at the vet for his ultrasound. We're supposed to pick him up at 4:30. dd#1 is a bit upset because when Sassy had cancer, Vince was bound and determined to give him chemo. Oh, how that hurt me. I didn't agree with it one bit. To me, he had a good life, I wanted to just leave him be happy and let mother nature take its course. I refused to force feed him (so Vince and dd did), only once did I take him to the vet oncologist -- and even then I just took him and left.

Well, we just got back from picking up PJ from the ultrasound. There are a few more tests they want to run (urinalysis, etc) but from the vet's experience, it looks like cancer, but we'll know for sure in a few days.

My son came here today. I didn't expect him until later tonight, but he came earlier. He'd bought a car in VA and got a 3-day traveling license so he came here, registered the car. He was pulled over once in VA by a cop, but when he explained why he didn't have a license plate and showed the 3-day permit, the cop just said "oh, ok". Not sure how long he'll be at our house, maybe a week. Then he's working in Charlotte until August (boo hoo) when he goes to the French island of Reunion off South Africa. Why he couldn't get a job in France is beyond me. No, I know why, because he knows that mom would be visiting him all the time....lol One thing I do have to say, he is a good cook.

Michele
  • donna56
    Options
    Michele - I ordered the Polar F4. I hope it does it's job as I am super new to excercising.:grumble: Someone else told me I should get a F4 or F7. The F4 was cheaper, not cheap, just cheaper :laugh: The more expensive one was $189.00, too rich for my blood, I gave $74.00 for the one I ordered. I can't wait for it to get here either.

By the way, I posted a pretty long post earlier today and addressed about 5 people, but when I hit send reply, it came up that MFP was undergoing maintance so it didn't get posted :sad: So to make a long story short, those of you who have ill parents etc, I hope all goes well. Those that are having additude changes, go for it. Those that are having a bad food day, we all do. Sorry this isn't that great of a post, but I don't want to retype everything I said earlier ( as if I could remember it anyway :laugh: )

P.S. Does anyone on here have facebook?
  • LaurelFisher
    LaurelFisher Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :heart: Good evening all, today Conner William Wood weighing in at 8lbs 7oz 21 inches long. My DIL went to the doctor for her check up and doctor told her to go to the hospital she was in labor and was dialated 4cm. They broke her water around noon and she dialated to 7cm. Conner was born at 4:40pm. Conner is a very beautiful little boy. (I am not prejudiced either) LOL LOL:heart: I am at my daughters babysitting so she and her hubby can go to the hospital and see the baby. Tomorrow is weigh in, I hope the scale at work reads the same as the one at home. Gotta go.Will catch up on posts tomorrow, Rose
  • donna56
    Options
    Rose..... Congratulations!!!!:flowerforyou: :drinker: :flowerforyou: :drinker: :flowerforyou: :drinker: :flowerforyou: