WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY

Options

Replies

• donna56
    donna56 Posts: 412
    Options
    MacMadame I am having one of those days today. I could eat anything. Don't know where this ravenous appetite is coming from.
    I have had all the water I can swallow. I have sugar snap beans steaming. I am walking past the leftover Birthday cake. If my DIL does not take it, it goes in the trash. This has got to be a hormone issue. :angry: This is not a normal appetite!!

I think I can, I think I can, I think I can, I know I can, I know I can, I know I can, I know I can, I know I can, I know I can, I know I can!!!!!!!

You can You can You can You can You can, you're doing good, don't stress yourself. :flowerforyou:
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Rose, cograts on the new baby. I love the name. How exciting. :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Just got home from my big trip. Had a good time with mother and sisters, lovely dinner theater, and a blast at Stars On Ice (our seats were actually on the ice!) This morning, when loading the car with all my mother's, mine, and 2 sister's (both disabled) stuff, I managed to fall down my daughter's apartment stairs. Hit the back of my head really hard on the wall, and my feet (always a painful subject for me), ankles, knee, and tailbone feel very sore and bruised. Of course, I am the only one in the group capable of driving, so I smiled, told them I was fine, finished loading the car, and headed home. Eleven hours later, here I am, glad to be able to relax and admit that maybe I hurt a little, but still fine.

I didn't kill either sister, mostly just changed the subject and made them laugh, and only had to lecture my mother once on the fact that we can't control others, and if my son in law did something years ago that made her mad, I was sorry, could not change it for her, and that life is too short to hang onto resentment. Oh, well, I suppose she will get over me telling her what I think one time during the trip! :wink:

Anyway, the "peacemaker pack mule" daughter is home, glad to be here, but glad I went! Have a great evening all!
  • donna56
    donna56 Posts: 412
    Options
    Just got home from my big trip. Had a good time with mother and sisters, lovely dinner theater, and a blast at Stars On Ice (our seats were actually on the ice!) This morning, when loading the car with all my mother's, mine, and 2 sister's (both disabled) stuff, I managed to fall down my daughter's apartment stairs. Hit the back of my head really hard on the wall, and my feet (always a painful subject for me), ankles, knee, and tailbone feel very sore and bruised. Of course, I am the only one in the group capable of driving, so I smiled, told them I was fine, finished loading the car, and headed home. Eleven hours later, here I am, glad to be able to relax and admit that maybe I hurt a little, but still fine.

I didn't kill either sister, mostly just changed the subject and made them laugh, and only had to lecture my mother once on the fact that we can't control others, and if my son in law did something years ago that made her mad, I was sorry, could not change it for her, and that life is too short to hang onto resentment. Oh, well, I suppose she will get over me telling her what I think one time during the trip! :wink:

Anyway, the "peacemaker pack mule" daughter is home, glad to be here, but glad I went! Have a great evening all!

Oh my! I hope you are alright? It all sounds pretty painful to me.
  • mimi7grands
    mimi7grands Posts: 616
    Options
    Skipped just a day and – wow – lot's been going on. I do love this group! :heart:

I am so grateful I’m retired – or semi-retired. After 10-1/2 hours babysitting my 3-year old granddaughter, Kate and, after school, her 5-year old sister Olivia, I’m pooped.

Kate is going through what you might call a “difficult” stage. My DD, Suzy, said she knew trouble was coming when she was telling Kate a story about princesses and dragons. Kate told her there were no princesses, only dragons - all the princesses had died! She’s definitely in the dragon category these days.

It was much harder to eat healthily today. Kate and I had yogurt (with a little jam), strawberries, and a banana for lunch (she also had nuts and crackers). Okay for calories but a far cry from my usual, more substantial – and more satisfying - meal. All of you who work every day deserve a lot of credit.

Jackie – you are in my thoughts as you deal with your mum. On another note, your story about dying the shoes had me laughing!

Robin – I am awed, as always, by the amount of exercise you get in. You rock!

Barbie – congratulations on her graduation to your DD. Hope you all survive the close quarters!

Awww, Ainslieglen. Mother’s Day makes it even tougher when you’re missing your kids. I know you’ll be looking forward to spending time with them when it’s their turn in the rotation.

Oh, Jeannie. I’m so sad to hear about your cousin’s son, Scott. He sounds like a terrific guy. It’s hard to understand why that can happen. As you said before, we need to appreciate every day that we have.

Barb, hurray for the new, smaller sizes. Medium sounds wonderful!!!

Laura, you and your hubby have your hands full with aging parents. I count my blessings that I haven’t had to deal with that yet. You are troopers for hanging in there with them. I hope your mom is feeling better soon.

Donna, I know what you mean about jumping. You should see my (try) to do jumping jacks. Hmm. Let me say, Be glad you haven’t seen me try to do jumping jacks! I was sorry to hear about Princess. I know that “I’ve been cheated” feeling when food doesn’t taste as good as it should. You might try grilling or roasting your veggies. It’s a whole different experience than steamed veggies.

Viv, I hope your uncle is feeling more chipper soon. I’m glad your hair didn’t fall out! Good for you on walking. It’s sure hard to figure out why some people think they need to feed you!! I visit my folks regularly. They were surprised and raised an eyebrow or two at me bringing my own food. Now that they see the results, they don’t have a single complaint. (I did have to tell my mom to get the bowl of nuts the **** out of the room the other night!) Remember to take care of yourself.

Kathy, how awesome to be looking forward to a new baby. And a big congrats on almost a month of quitting smoking. Terrific job.

Alice, great job on the birthday cookout. That’s one of the most challenging situations!

Kackie, welcome back! The Bahamas. Mmmm. The Bahamas. I can just picture being there. I wish! You showed great restraint in limiting yourself to 3 pina coladas. They are a such luxurious drink. Wine spritzers just don’t have the same feel.

Caminogirl, I feel for you dealing with your ILs difficulties. It’s true that old age is not for sissies. Re your neighbor: it might be time to get out the English-to-Italian translation book and get her on your side. She’ll offer way to many tempting goodies otherwise.

BirdieM – Wheat Thins and an extra piece of fruit are an outrageously good choice. Way to go! It’s funny you find it easier to stay with your eating plan when you pack a lunch. For me, it’s just the opposite. I like to be in my own kitchen to tinker around. I’m glad you’re making packing a lunch work for you.

MacMadame – It’s good to know you can have one of those days then get back on track. You’ve done, and are doing, a terrific job.

Michele, my sympathy about PJ. Wonderful for you to see your son. I hope you store up lots of good feelings, talks, experiences, etc., etc., to look back on when he goes to Africa. My oldest DD is about a 6-hour drive away and I think that's way too long!

Rose, a new baby!!! So exciting. Congrats to all. I’m sure he is just as beautiful as you think he is!

Oh, Mary. I’m sending you a virtual Jacuzzi, a warm blanket, soothing music, maybe a candle or two, and maybe an aspirin. I’m sorry you hurt yourself and am glad it wasn’t worse. PeacemakerPackMule, huh? That’s a lot of work.

You are a terrific group of women. I have felt so much encouragement from this group. Thank you. :flowerforyou:
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Hello All,

**This post was CREATED about NOON today, Tuesday. Pacific Time. Unfortunately, the website went down for maintenance as I was trying to post it. :noway: :grumble: Luckily, when the page didn't "send" immediately, I was able to do a quick copy command, collect my post & put it in notepad for safekeeping. I was gone the rest of the day, until about 10:30p, so I am posting this without reading anything that was below about 12 noon or so on the thread--so if anything doesn't make sense. Now you know why.:bigsmile: **

Just dropping in quickly. Since I provided a list of "no-no's" yesterday for what dogs can eat, I am going to give the "yes-yes's" equal time today:

"10 “People” Foods for Dogs
    Provide variety and a nutritional boost
    By Elizabeth Pask and Laura Scott
    As a responsible and informed dog lover, you probably know that too much “people food” can make your dog ill or overweight, but there are some human foods that can be safely added to your dog’s meals in moderation to give a nutritional boost to Queenie’s diet and add a bit of variety to her food bowl. Just remember: any additions to your dog’s meals shouldn't comprise more than 25 percent of her weekly caloric requirement.

1. Yogurt is a good source of available calcium and protein. When choosing yogurt, pick one that has live active bacteria and no sugars or artificial sweeteners. The active bacteria may act as probiotics. If your pooch is pudgy, make sure that you pick fat-free yogurt but not one that contains fat substitutes (e.g., Simplesse or Olestra). Frozen yogurt is a nice summer treat for dogs.
    2. Flax seed (ground or oil) is a good source of omega-3 fatty acids, which are essential fatty acids that are good for skin and coat. Whole flax seeds are best if ground right before feeding as this type of fat can go rancid quickly. Flax seed can also be added to your dog’s diet as a source of fibre. Flax oil is a more concentrated form of omega- 3 fatty acids without the fibre. Make sure that you store the oil or seeds in the fridge in an air tight dark container.

3. Salmon is a fatty fish which is also a good source of omega- 3 fatty acids. These fats support the immune system and can be beneficial for skin and coat health. There has also been some indication that they may benefit dogs with allergies. You can feed salmon or salmon oil. If feeding salmon, make sure it’s cooked before serving, as raw salmon can carry a parasite that can make your dog sick. 4 Pumpkin is a good source of fibre and beta carotene (a source of vitamin A). Dogs need fibre in their diet. The current trend is towards highly digestible diets that lower stool volume and this is not necessarily a good thing. Keeping the GI tract moving helps keep the cells lining the gut healthy.

4. Pumpkin is a good source of fibre and beta carotene (a source of vitamin A). Dogs need fibre in their diet. The current trend is towards highly digestible diets that lower stool volume and this is not necessarily a good thing. Keeping the GI tract moving helps keep the cells lining the gut healthy.

5. Sweet potatoes are another source of dietary fibre and contain vitamin B6, vitamin C, beta carotene, and manganese. Sweet potatoes are great sliced and dehydrated as a chewy treat for your dog. There are so many dog treats on the market that we often overlook the simple, healthy, and reasonably priced treats available at our grocery store.

6. Green beans are a good source of plant fibre, vitamin K, vitamin C, and manganese. If your dog has a tendency to put on weight, then replacing some of her regular food with green beans is a great low calorie way to fill her up and help her maintain a healthy weight. Many dogs enjoy green beans frozen.

7. Eggs are a great source of very digestible protein, riboflavin, and selenium. For some dogs that are prone to digestive upset, eggs can give them a little protein boost. Adding eggs to your dog’s food is a healthy treat. Make sure to use cooked whole egg, as raw egg whites can cause biotin deficiency. If you do a lot of training with your dog, consider taking cooked eggs to your next class as training treats.

8. Brewer’s yeast is the yeast that’s left over from making alcohol. Dogs seem to really enjoy the tangy taste of brewer’s yeast. It’s full of B vitamins which are good for skin, coat, and carbohydrate metabolism. Make sure you’re using brewer’s yeast (available at health food stores), not baking yeast which will make your dog sick. Brewer’s yeast can spice up your dog’s appetite. Just sprinkle a little on the food of a picky eater and watch her dive into her food.

9. Apples are wonderful crunchy treats for your dog. Apples with the skin on are full of plant chemicals (phytonutrients) that are thought to be protective against some types of cancer in humans. They are a source of vitamins A and C and fibre. Apple seeds, however, contain cyanide so your dog should not be allowed to eat the core. Though the effects of a few apple seeds will likely not harm your dog, the deleterious effects can accumulate over time if allowed to eat apple seeds regularly.

10. Oatmeal is a good source of soluble fibre. This can be beneficial for some older dogs that may have trouble maintaining bowel regularity. Oatmeal is also an alternative source of grain for dogs that are allergic to wheat. It can be fed in conjunction with probiotics to enhance their function. Keep in mind oatmeal should always be fed cooked and plain with no sugar or flavouring. As always, check with your veterinarian before making any major changes to your dog’s diet, especially if they are on any medications. Upsetting the vitamin and mineral balances in your dog’s diet can have negative effects on your dog’s health and some medications interact badly with some nutrients. The aim of most dog owners is to give their dogs the best diet possible. Good nutrition coupled with a health care program may result in extending your dog’s life by as much as 15 percent. The suggestions above are not meant to replace your dog’s normal, balanced diet. Rather, they are ideas for alternative treats or for adding a little variety to your dog’s meals."

Here is a link to the page:
    http://www.moderndogmagazine.com/articles/10-people-foods-dogs/1896

kackie--
    Welcome back. Caving to Pina Coladas is not a sin when you are on vacation. Just climb back in the wagon now that you are home and all will be well. Maybe you have some pictures of your trip you can share???

Birdie--
    Sounds like you managed your moment of stress pretty well. Extra fruit and wheat thins is not a bad thing in the relative scheme of things. It could have been a 1/2 gallon of ice cream or a package of oreos, or an entire carrot cake, so give yourself a pat on the back . "Ya done good."

Donna--
    I am betting that if you think about it, you can find an expenditure that your dh to be has made that you couldn't see the point of, so if he gives you any grief about your heart monitor, remind him it works both ways. When I was married, my hubby was always giving me grief about things I purchased for our house, but if he got near REI--a store specializing in outdoor activity equipment--he was like a kid in a candy store.:laugh: :laugh: I used to go with him when he shopped in order to keep our budget, or our credit cards, from blowing up!!!:noway: :laugh:

Caminogirl--
    Thanks to the wonders of igoogle translation, I have the solution to your problem. In English: "I would like to have coffee with you, but I am watching what I eat." translates to the following in Italian:

"Vorrei prendere un caffè con te, ma io sto guardando quello che mangio."

Now, I can't help you with pronounciation, but maybe if you show it to her in writing she will get the idea. Here is another phrase that might help. "Your baking is very hard to resist, but I must!!":bigsmile:

In Italian:

"Il tuo cottura è molto difficile resistere, ma devo!"

Good luck!! If anyone ever needs to translate something, just go to google.com and type in the search "google translate" and you will get the page you need.

To everyone else... sorry no more time now. I have to get a wiggle on and get these doggies walked as I have to take my mom to her eye exam appointment in a couple of hours.

Barb
  • weaklink109
    Options
    Me Again,

Now I am caught up on posts from this afternoon and evening.

Michelle--
    I feel so badly for you with what you have already gone through losing animals. I know you have PJ's best interests at heart. I hope you can prevail over other family members who seem to have trouble letting go. I will keep you and PJ in my prayers.

Jackie--
    Meant to ask you was the gold material you were trying to dye metal or metallic? If so, that would explain why the dye didn't "stick." Paint might have worked better, but you would have probably had to rough up the surface to get it to take the paint properly.

Viv--
    Sorry your routine is getting you down. I had to laugh for a moment when I misread the part about your walk and thought your daughter put your socks on the dog!!!:noway: :laugh:

Rose--
    Congrats "Grandma":drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Mary--
    Your fall sounds serious, especially the part about hitting your head. If you have any unusual feelings of lethargy, or dizziness, or mental confusion, or a headache or any combination of these things, PLEASE head to your doctor's office or the ER and let them know what happened to you. They will need to eliminate any possibility of bleeding in the brain. Also, if you did get a concussion, you are going to know it. Good-bye short term memory--at least that was true for me for a while. I hope you are ok, but if you are not, I want to make sure you know what to do.

MacMadame--
    Sorry you were accosted by the "galloping munchies." They visited my place last week, but it appears I have evicted them for the time being.

Today, I took my mom for an eye exam. She was complaining of having trouble reading and she just had an exam and new glasses in September. Turns out her vision has finally deteriorated enough that they referred her to get the cataract in that eye removed. She had the other eye done about 3 years ago. We also found out the glasses she was given last September weren't set up properly. She has trifocals, and the mid-range was so narrow it was almost worthless. The reading/closeup area was also very narrow. Unfortunately, if she had mentioned her problems earlier, we could have had the lenses remade at no charge, but now that it is more than 90 days, we are stuck. It is a moot point anyway, since her prescription has changed since the exam last fall.

After the eye exam was physical therapy. Turns out she can benefit from strength training exercises to improve the strength in her back and enable her to stand straighter without having to hang on to a walker or a railing or a shopping cart. All this time, I thought her posture was due to her arthritis or osteoporosis, but it is simple muscle weakness. Yet another reason that I think her former primary care physician was an incompetent *kitten*. He refused to refer her for physical therapy, saying there was no point. Obviously, there WAS a point. Thank goodness I found her a new PCP.

She now has exercises she can do at home, and also instructions for using some of the equipment in the exercise room at the retirement home. The therapist also told her she needs to get back to doing water exercises too, so I may be going over to help with that, as we want to make sure she can get in and out of the pool. Since she is living in the independent living section of the facility, if a staff member helps her, they will have to charge for it, and I am free and more or less available these days.

After the PT session, I stopped and picked up some BBQ ribs--one of my dad's favorites. We had ribs, beans, green salad, and mixed veggies for dinner. I also had a glass of wine. Amazingly, I was under my calories for the day, so I might even have a snack before I finally quit for the night.

BFN

Barb
  • BirdieM
    BirdieM Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    Lost another pound! :bigsmile: Will try to check in later and read new posts since my last visit!!. Must go to work.
    BirdieM:heart:
  • vickim26
    vickim26 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Good Morning ladies,
    Oh My I missed one day of reading yesterday and it is so hard to catch up. Rose congrats. We are waiting for any day now. She went yesterday and the baby is now 8 pounds and she will not go past next week for sure. Donna I have a facebook. Great job Birdie. Mary take care of that head injury. They can be very serious. Mimi arent those grandchildren wonderful. Exhausting but wonderful. I have to go with heather to do her work today in case she goes into labor so have to go now. Everyone have a great day. Hope to post later.
    Vicki M
  • kackie
    kackie Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Good Morning, All! I finally had time to read back and try to catch up on the posts...I am sure that I missed a bit, but glad to hear how most of you are doing. I did the "catch-up" day yesterday with mail, laundry, groceries and a tiny bit of weed-pulling. It was a wonderful family vacation but it is nice to be home too. I will try to post a couple of photos...

I had a good day yesterday but didn't fit any official exercise...I plan a walk-run today and some much needed stretching/yoga.
    Speaking of need of stretching...

Mary: I hope that you are feeling ok and are not bruised and too sore. Also, how is your head? You are a good woman and every family needs at least one of you, especially the peace-keeping part. Good, good for you. Families are wonderful but can also be exhausting! Take care of yourself!

laurelfisher: Congratulations on darling little Conner!

Alice: You can, you can, you certainly can!

MacMadame: you have, you have, you certainly have! (and we all appreciate you showing us how to continue to do it) Hope your eyes are better soon.

Mimi: Isn't time spent with grandchildren the best? I only have the one now but the 10 days with her were the best. BUT it is also pretty tiring. I don't know how we all did it with our own children now...but we WERE a bit younger?!?

Barb: Thanks so much for the igoogle translation information...wow...that is wonderful!

Jackie: You tickle me with your stories and the clothes & shoes altering amaze me. I am not good with that kind of thing!

BirdieM: WOW...another pound and 47 gone. You are amazing! Keep up the wonderful journey

VickiM: Keep us posted on Baby on the way. How exciting for all of you.

To everyone else, I hope you are all well and appreciate each of you and your great support for each other. Have a great day!
    To great choices and positive thoughts, :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: Kackie
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Wow....only a half day of catch up reading and it takes some time....Happy Wednesday all!

Talked with Mom again yesterday, her voice is all but gone so a phone call was expremely hard to do. I got word yesterday that her last day at rehab will be the 24th and she will be moved to the Adult Foster Home on the 25th, so hubby and I will be flying to Oregon on the 21st (to Medford) and we will be there to help get her settled. We will try and do some painting and see about getting the carpet changed out and hopefully put the house on the market, we may be biting off more than we can chew, but have to give it a try. We will be taking her car and driving it back:grumble: to Colorado, not looking forward to this trip at all. We will have to see about how we are going to be disposing of all the other things she has.

Work has caused me to be missing more exercise nights than I'd like, but by the time I get home I'm so tired and my brain just doesn't function. I'm eating okay and for right now just holding, but am hoping that by Friday I will see positive results on the scale:wink: . Woke up to an inch of snow and possibly another 1-2" tonight....winter just won't go away:grumble:

BirdieM- :drinker: Congrats on another pound gone.

Jackie-Shoes and reinventing clothes, how inspiring you are:flowerforyou:

Ainslieglen- Where grandchildren (and children) I think we are all greedy and want to spend as much time with them as we can:smile:

Viv-:noway: I'm so glad that your hair dying experience wasn't a distaster....I'm sure there were some scary moments during that process.

MacMadame- I'm sure that many of us are in the running to pee all the time:grumble: especially when we get all our water drinking in.

Alice- So did you get to pass on the cake or did the garbage see to it's demise:wink:

Michele- Enjoy your time (albeit short) with your son:smile: it's always good when they are home to visit.

Donna56- Facebook:grumble: I have several friends (and sons) that want DH and me on there, but I do good just to keep up with my friends here on MFP, can't imagine trying to keep up on facebook too:huh:

Rose-:flowerforyou: Congrats on the safe arrival of Conner!

Mary- So sorry you fell:flowerforyou: I'm sure you need to come over to my place and sit in the hot tub for the aches and pains:flowerforyou:

Barb- Thanks for the "good for doggie" list:flowerforyou:

Mimi- Those grandchildren sure do keep us busy:flowerforyou: When my GS is over we always feel like he keeps us hopping and I'm reminded how much easier it was to lose weight when I had three young boys at home:wink:

Kackie- glad you had a good vacation:flowerforyou:

Everyone Have a good day, keep drinking that water :drinker: Here's to positive weigh-ins:drinker: :drinker:

Laura:smile:
  • BirdieM
    BirdieM Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Congratulations Rose on your new grandchild, Connor!!

Viv & Jackie: “Dying” ….anything…does not seem to go well with you,:laugh: but somehow you both always land on your feet!:flowerforyou:

MacMadame & Alice: We all have days like that! It keeps us on our toes!:ohwell: It’s how we REACT to it that will keep us winning the ongoing battle one day at a time! One weekend or one bad day or one BD cake is not what made us become overweight. It’s a lifestyle of eating that way that did it…:angry: ..so it’s a new day and you BOTH are WINNERS!:flowerforyou:

Michele: Regarding Sassy & PJ, I would feel the same way. Watching someone else, whether a person or a pet, suffer, is much harder than missing them.:cry::brokenheart: Although I have never had a pet, my MIL did. She had a dog and “Brownie” was suffering from terrible arthritis. :sad: Watching him try to walk was pathetic.:cry: It made me cry. I miss seeing him in my MIL’s apartment, but I’m relieved that he’s not suffering anymore. I also believe in letting Mother Nature take its course. Sometimes the treatment hurts them more than the disease.

Donna: I type my responses in a WORD document then copy and paste them on MFP.:happy: If something like that happens (they are working on the site), you still have your responses saved and can go back to them.

Mary: So glad you got back in one piece and that the show was terrific! :flowerforyou: Be very cautious about the incident hitting your head. Head injuries can be very serious. If anything seems unusual, please get it checked out!

Mimi: I want a “virtual Jacuzzi” Tooooo!!!! :laugh:
    I agree about the young kids! I was watching my “almost” 2 year old GD the other day and to use your word….I was POOPED too! But she is just soooo cute! :happy: We have children when we are younger for a reason!:ohwell:

Barb: It’s a darn good thing that you didn’t lose THAT post!!! :laugh: I’m sure the list is very helpful to the many people on this site who have pets!
    Now can you do the same thing for PEOPLE????!!!!!l :laugh:
    What a great idea about translating sentences into another language. I’ll have to remember that. Again….you are the information queen!!!:flowerforyou:
    Also, re: the cataract: When my MIL had the surgery, she could read better than any of us! Good luck!

Vicki: Very exciting about that new little person waiting to make his/her debut!!!:flowerforyou:

Laura: You certainly have your hands full! :noway: Isn’t there ANYONE else who can help you? Friends…other relatives? My daughter is going to be moving into a new house and she’s having problems with her back! She’s not sure how she’ll do it, but between friends, family and our local Youth Group from church….she’s getting lots of help. :love: I was going to mention a yard sale but I know that in OTHER parts of the country, houses are much farther away from each other than here in RI! So don’t know how feasible that would be. Good luck!

I was thinking this morning about how MFP has helped me soooo much in this weight/healthier living….journey. So, being a spiritual person,…. thinking “holistic” , I decided to do an MFP for my spiritual side “My Faith Plan”! I’ll exercise by trying to be more joyful and grateful and my “food for thought” will be reading the bible or some spiritual book each day so that I am healthier in that department. :flowerforyou: After going through half the day…:noway: .I have to say the “My Fitness Pal” program is easier to do than “My Faith Plan” :laugh: I guess that means that I really better work at it! I’m joyful, I’m joyful, I’m joyful….yikes:noway: …I haven’t even gotten to the grateful part! :laugh: I AM grateful to MFP and all you wonderful gals,:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: so I guess that’s a good start!:bigsmile:

Have a great day!!!:heart:

BirdieM
  • ainslieglen
    ainslieglen Posts: 110
    Options
    Rose....congratulations on beautiful Conner. :flowerforyou: What a thrill to be a Gramma again! Ainslieglen:happy:
  • ainslieglen
    ainslieglen Posts: 110
    Options
    Hello from Wednesday and Edmonton...

I'm still on holiday with two weeks to go. My older son and #1 grandson will be here for the long weekend and I'll be VERY happy to see them after 4 years of phone calls, e-mails and Skype visits! I just wanto HUG them...a lot! Ken (son) is a photographer and away on assignments most of the time. Jared attends university and also works, so there's virtually no time for visits to Victoria. This will be a really special occasion!:bigsmile:

I read thru the posts often, and this is one productive and busy group. I've been managing food really well, and keeping up with exercise . Water is less successful, I' m afraid. Some days none and other days 4-6 glasses. Haven't hit the 8 glass goal even once. When I get back home it will be easier. It's difficult running to the bathroom every 15-20 minutes when there are so many people around. Brother's granddaughter always asks "how come you pee so much?" Can't say NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS!...:angry:

Have a great day, everyone:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: Ainslieglen
  • mynyddisamrs
    mynyddisamrs Posts: 387
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Wow .... lots of reading in these posts!!! Hi everyone.

:flowerforyou: Mary .... Ouch!!! Hope your bumps and bruises are on the mend.
    :heart: Rose ... Congratulations on the new arrival .... what a sweety!
    :laugh: Viv ..... Well done in overcoming your dyeing escapade!! I remember when I did mine once ....just put it on and then after the regulation 20 minutes looked in the mirror ...shock , horror ....who was that standing there?? Brown hair???? That'll teach me to double check the box!!
    My shoes by the way ...had gold leather trim and heels. As said , so far they look good. Whether, when I wear them,I will we left with black indelible stripes on my feet , that will be seen!! That will be cheaper than strappy sandals I suppose.

:happy: As for the skirt ...it kept me occupied for the whole evening!! I hadn't even done the washing up when DH arrived back from work...let alone eat anything!! My hand and arm aches like mad today but I can't just not do things. It was touch and go whether the whole thing ...having removed the waist band and zip, cut 6 inches off the top and put it all back ....would have to be binned.!!:noway: the skirt would have just had to disappear !! There I was ...in the garage (Where we have a wardrobe for outdoor coats with a great full length mirror) stripping off, trying on etc ... :angry: without getting the pins in places I shouldn't or want to. The first time it was totally wrong and the cats gave me their opinion as they quickly legged it through the cat flap!! But ...perseverence won through and I now have something else to wear!! And as I said ...I didn't boredom eat!!

So ...here I am tonight ...not going to Zumba as DIL's mum is hospital visiting (We went this afternoon... hospital, not Zumba!)) ....and looking around to see what I want to do. Maybe..... I can paint over a painting I did last year. Garish red and gold Chinese dragon on a brown background ....my GD is the only grandchild to not have one of my (Tongue in cheek ) "Masterpieces. " Maybe a dance theme for "Twinkle toes" .......or maybe not. :frown: Probably it will be TV and post election programmes going on and on!!

I do envy all of you with dogs to walk . Something you can't get out of. When we had ours DH walked him as he was too large for me to handle but I tagged along too. I'd dearly love another but we do love to go away when we can and think kennels are not always best and are expensive too. Cats are more independant and my no.1 son nips in daily to feed our two.

:smile: If you all keep making the good choices I know you'll be losers!! I've got to convince myself to do the same ..I know.

So ....Bye from me for now.
    :heart: Jackie
  • weaklink109
    Options
    Viv--
    In my last post, I had forgotten about your ""hair-raising" experience. I am glad it turned out ok. It reminded me of the time I tried one of those "hair painting" highlighting kits. Thanks to the "help" number that came with the product, I was able to get the advice I needed to repair the problem with another product, but it was very disconcerting until I knew how to solve the problem.

Jackie--
    Now that I know it was leather that didn't take the dye, I think the problem was probably the way it was finished. Their is a product that is recommended to pretreat leather that has a finish on it, in order for the material to accept dye. I hope they have worked out the way you described them before. Your skirt sounds like it worked out well. Imagine having cats as "seamstress assistants." Just thinking, it gives entire new meaning to the term "catwalk.":noway: :bigsmile: Better a "catwalk" than a "cakewalk"--or a walk toward the cake!!:laugh: :laugh:

Laura--
    I think the garage sale is a great idea. They are very common in this area, and I imagine the same is true of Medford. You could do a little advance work, by searching online for Craigslist listings in the Medford area, as they have a section on garage sales. Also, check the classified ads for the local paper. Then once you are there, you could do a Craigslist post on relatively short notice and probably get rid of lots of stuff. Good luck.

I have some impatient doggies that need walking, so by for now.

Barb
  • heartrw
    heartrw Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Just a quick shout out to tell everyone hello! I am writing from beautiful Yorba Linda in sunny Southern California. We arrived Monday evening after three enjoyable days on the road. So far my eating has been a train wreck since we arrived. Ate out Monday night, ate out Tuesday night:noway: :angry: :grumble: . Today I am vowing to stay on track and make Good Choices ALL DAY LONG!!! The good news is I've been taking the "pups" (two beautiful goldens...brother and sister) on about a 2.5 mile walk every day with my friend! Also swam for an hour 1 night at the hotel. So, at least I'm keeping the exercise and activity level up!

Haven't had time to read ANY posts, but hope all is doing well. Take care and have a good day!
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    This has got to be a hormone issue. :angry:
    I'm pretty sure it is for me. It tends to happen when my Fertility app for my iPhone claims I'm in my "fertile" period. It didn't this time though.

Anyway, everything is back to normal now. And I keep reminding myself that I don't want to lose any more weight anyway! :laugh:

My eye is much better. I still wake up thinking there is something in it but it's not red in the morning any more. I have to do the drops 4x a day for a whole week and then I can taper them down for the next week. I can't wait to be off them!
  • kackie
    kackie Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Hello again, I did get a photo from our Bahama's trip onto my profile after many, many attempts. Since I took all the photos, it seems, I am the only one not in the picture, but at least my DH, darling DIL and son and especially granddaughter are in it! (and the pretty turquoise water!)

Also, WELCOME to all the newest members of this great thread. I wish you great success on this journey together!

Ainsleiglen: have a wonderful time with your family and glad to hear from you!

Laura: Sorry you have so much work and worry right now...don't beat yourself up over missing the exercise right now...at least you are hanging onto your good eating habits and hopefully you can get the exercise in soon. Take care.

To everyone, have a great evening! Kackie:heart::heart: :heart:
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone :flowerforyou:

:flowerforyou: Congratulation Rose on the safe arrival of Connor, he certainly is a little cutie.

:flowerforyou: Mary I hope you have fully recovered from your fall, it’s a wonder you weren’t concussed !

:flowerforyou: Mimi muy uncle is doing well thanks, I went to see him on Tuesday and he thinks he’ll be home soon.

:flowerforyou: Barb thanks for all the info on things that are bad for doggies. A few of them I didn’t know . Had to laugh at you misreading my post though and now have images of the doggies wearing my socks. :bigsmile: We only went on a short walk tonight - I think Tara was pleased, I’m sure her legs were aching too.

:flowerforyou: Jackie glad the shoes and skirt turned out okay, I wish I could sew but it takes me all my time to sew a button back on when it’s fallen off something. I’m not that keen on sewing, I think it goes back to when I started Secondary School. In our first year we had to make our aprons (to wear during our domestic science lessons) Every time I stitched a hem the teacher made me take it out and do it again (don’t know why, it looked fine to me) :grumble: Years later I was still making this flipping apron and only wore it a few times before I left school. :embarassed:

:flowerforyou: BirdieM Good luck with your faith plan.

:flowerforyou: Someone asked about Facebook I’m on it but not as much as I used to be as I am always on mfp now and I much prefer this site. I sometimes go on Facebook at the weekend and play a few word games and check to see what people are up to. :smile:

Jane is back from her holiday and is looking very tanned . She brought some Turkish delight back with her and I must confess I’ve had a few pieces. :frown: In fact I have lapsed a bit these past few days (back to old eating habits) so must get myself back on track starting tomorrow. I soon slip back into my old ways if I am not on my guard :noway:

:yawn: :yawn: It's getting late so off to bed for me - take care & BFN

Viv :heart: