EGGS ARE GOOD EAT THEM

Options

Replies

• highmaintnance
    highmaintnance Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I eat the yolk when I fry my eggs or when eating a hard boiled egg or deviled egg (mmmm deviled eggs) but I only eat the white in my omelettes or when scrambled.
  • Icedrgn
    Icedrgn Posts: 17
    Options
    You know what's good with eggs? Bacon! Sugarless sinful Bacon!
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Hard boiled eggs and hot sauce.. .yummy deliciousness!
  • Jonesie1984
    Jonesie1984 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I multiple everday..
  • JeniferEverx3
    JeniferEverx3 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Has anyone considered what happens to all the male chicks that are not required for the egg-laying part of the egg industry.

Do you know what happens to the hens when they have gone past efficiency in egg laying?

Eggs - a great source of protein, but at what cost? - no thanks.
    Hey, as long as the eggs are free-range, who the hell cares about those pesky male chicks. Right?

Hey, let's all use the assumption that the egg-laying industry has the same practices across the board. Let's also pretend that small farmers who take good care of their birds don't exist, and we should totally not eat eggs because factory farming makes some farming bad.
    Alright then. What happens to the male chicks from the farm you buy your eggs at?

Not that is is relevant to the broader topic, but they either raise them for meat or sell them to other farms that need a rooster.

In any case, presenting a false dichotomy is erroneous.
    It's not a false dichotomy. Many people are concerned about "ethical" eggs, and they have absolutely zero clue or concern about what happens to the male chicks. How ethical is it to be killing off those billions of males?

I have my doubts about your egg supplier using males for meat, since non-capon meat sucks.
    What happens in "the wild" when a hen lays hundreds of eggs in her lifetime? Do all of them get to grow up to be happy adults? Get real. In order to maintain a stable population, 99% of chicken eggs that are laid do not result in an adult chicken.

I am all for doing things humanely when it comes to meat and animal products. But some people really just go overboard with it. Like PETA. I refuse to ever eat vegetarian of vegan. Have you every watched the discovery channel or national geographic? Have you ever seen a predator chase an animal that is terrified for its life, then take it down with claws and teeth, and rip it to shreds while it's still alive, in front of its family??? If animals can eat animals, I can eat animals. YUM lol
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Duck eggs rule. Richer flavor than chicken eggs. I don't like chicken egg yolks, but duck egg yolks, yummy. My Muscovy ducks are giving us four or five eggs every day, and I don't think I'll ever eat chicken eggs again while the ducks are still laying.. Sweet corn/duck egg/Swiss cheese/bacon quiche...OMG, sooooooooooo good.
  • psych0kitty
    psych0kitty Posts: 313
    Options
    Duck eggs rule. Richer flavor than chicken eggs. I don't like chicken egg yolks, but duck egg yolks, yummy. My Muscovy ducks are giving us four or five eggs every day, and I don't think I'll ever eat chicken eggs again while the ducks are still laying.. Sweet corn/duck egg/Swiss cheese/bacon quiche...OMG, sooooooooooo good.

So jealous. I've never had a duck egg and really want to try one, but they seem to be seasonal and expensive!
  • AnJulNZ
    AnJulNZ Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    We have our own chooks. Fresh 100% free range eggs every day. YUM.
  • rachelerwin
    rachelerwin Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    My hens would not be very happy if we didn't eat their eggs. They work hard. lol Family of egg lovers here! The whole egg!
  • staplebug
    staplebug Posts: 189
    Options
    People who still think that egg yolks are bad for you must also still think that trans fats are awesome and saturated fats are the devil.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I agree....eggs are great and I eat the whole thing. I even eat JUMBO eggs....OMG!!!
  • Gogetter1314
    Options
    i was just seperating the hardboiled egg white from the yolk, was contemplating whether to eat the yolk or not. Then this discussion popped up. Like a sign :P ok im overacting but yeah i just ate the whole damn eggg :D yaay eggs rule!!!
  • MandaPaigeSparkles88
    MandaPaigeSparkles88 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    MMMMMM I love eggs, scrambled eggs, fried eggs, boiled eggs, omelets. Yummy deliciousness!!!
  • happyheathen927
    happyheathen927 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Has anyone considered what happens to all the male chicks that are not required for the egg-laying part of the egg industry.

Do you know what happens to the hens when they have gone past efficiency in egg laying?

Hey, as long as the eggs are free-range, who the hell cares about those pesky male chicks. Right?

Hey, let's all use the assumption that the egg-laying industry has the same practices across the board. Let's also pretend that small farmers who take good care of their birds don't exist, and we should totally not eat eggs because factory farming makes some farming bad.
    Alright then. What happens to the male chicks from the farm you buy your eggs at?
    I haven't gotten to the end of this thread, but .... the eggs I eat come from the chickens in my back yard. And we eat the roosters.
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options

Not that is is relevant to the broader topic, but they either raise them for meat or sell them to other farms that need a rooster.

In any case, presenting a false dichotomy is erroneous.

Actually, male chickens are generally not used for meat, because there meat is not as good as the females. It is common practice in the industry to separate the chicks by sex at birth, and the males are frequently killed shortly thereafter(frequently by grinding them alive.)
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Duck eggs rule. Richer flavor than chicken eggs. I don't like chicken egg yolks, but duck egg yolks, yummy. My Muscovy ducks are giving us four or five eggs every day, and I don't think I'll ever eat chicken eggs again while the ducks are still laying..

My ex grew up on a farm and his mother had ducks. She used the duck eggs in her cakes. They were pretty darn good. :)
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Look, you guys. Get on your local Craigslist ( or UK equivalent) and find a duck breeder/raiser in your area. Very soon they'll be advertising ducklings for sale, maybe eggs too. If they have female ducks they will have eggs, and not all eggs have to hatched, some can be sold as food. Many people thinks that the only suitable eggs for eating come from chickens. These are people who've never had a duck egg. Absolutely delicious.
  • Gutter19
    Gutter19 Posts: 141
    Options
    The Incredible Edible Egg! :)
  • ScottishMrs
    ScottishMrs Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I eat whole eggs all the time! I can't stand to waste the yolk. If a recipe calls for just eggs whites I always end up poaching the yolks, salting them, and just eating them like that. Yummy!

I used to hate the yoks, but then I learned that it's because my mother always overcooks her hardboiled eggs (the yolks always have a thick green coating). I've since learned how to hardboil them just right and I love them!