You made me spit out my water! :)
    DOWN WITH THE EGG HATERS

EGGS 4EVAH

VIVA LA EGG

EGG POWER
  • JTS_go
    JTS_go Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I haven't eaten an egg that wasn't laid by our own hens or ducks in about two years. They're wonderful. I boil a batch for snacks to take to work every week now. We sell the extras to friends and coworkers.

We did order just hens for our first two batches of chicks as we were learning chicken keeping and lived in a more dense neighborhood. Once we moved to a more rural location, we got a "straight run" and ended up with 6 hens and 6 males. We picked out one male who seemed most gentle with the hens once they were old enough to start mounting. We processed and ate the five runners-up, and they were also delicious. Our older hens are more like pets and won't be eaten. Our younger hens might end up in the pot if we get to make the decision (rather than losing them to a hawk or other predator). We're hoping a hen will get broody and want to hatch our own eggs this spring.
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Has anyone considered what happens to all the male chicks that are not required for the egg-laying part of the egg industry.

Do you know what happens to the hens when they have gone past efficiency in egg laying?

Eggs - a great source of protein, but at what cost? - no thanks.

Are you a vegan? Because if not this is a very hypocritical statement.

On another note...OM NOM NOM CHICKEN PERIOD. ;)
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I am all for doing things humanely when it comes to meat and animal products. But some people really just go overboard with it. Like PETA. I refuse to ever eat vegetarian of vegan. Have you every watched the discovery channel or national geographic? Have you ever seen a predator chase an animal that is terrified for its life, then take it down with claws and teeth, and rip it to shreds while it's still alive, in front of its family??? If animals can eat animals, I can eat animals. YUM lol
    Yep, we are actually capable of understanding that they can suffer and do what we can to minimize that. Predators do not know, care, nor make any effort to minimize suffering. Nor do diseases. It's my experience that people who use the word "ethical" in relation to our interactions with animals tend to live in a fantasy world where the only suffering that ever happens is at the hands of humans, and generally have no clue what "ethical" even means.
  • laurie41565
    laurie41565 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I eat the whole egg sometimes several a day..... Looking at my latest labs right now... VLDL is 9 triglicerides are 48 and my overall cholesterol is 141

I remember a while back being raked over the coals by some MFP know it all (Bobby Clerici) because I choose to eat the whole egg except for when I'm low on calories but still need more protein in which case I will just add a few extra whites. He told me I was not really dedicated to weight loss and that if I was acting so reckless as to eat the yolk of the eggs, that I'd never lose weight. WTF?

LOL that's crazy!! I eat sometimes 4 a day...yolk and all!!! Good for protein and we all need some fat as long as you don't go overboard on the fat for the day....Have at it I say!!!
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Hens too old for laying? Pet food, processed into stock and so forth. Male chicks, pet food if not discarded. So what? That is the purpose of meat animals. I'm looking forward to hatching some Muscovy ducklings from my flock, raising them, and butchering them for the table in the fall. Seprwidgets, you are SO right.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Has anyone considered what happens to all the male chicks that are not required for the egg-laying part of the egg industry.

Do you know what happens to the hens when they have gone past efficiency in egg laying?

I am vegan.
    We are each entitled to our views on a public forum such as this and I thank everyone for giving their open honest views and not attacking me personally for sharing mine.

edit: spelling
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    But they still don't taste very good.

That's because you likely haven't ever had eggs straight from the chicken. I grew up eating farm-fresh eggs. The difference between "store-bought" (which may have sat in a warehouse for a couple of months by the time you get them) and fresh eggs, is incredible.
  • KevDaniel
    KevDaniel Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    My name is Jerry and I do not support this message.

funny_chicken+%25281%2529.jpg
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Dietary fat and cholesterol have nothing to do with the fat and cholesterol on and in your body.

Dietary cholesterol has little to do with the body's cholesterol levels, but dietary fat intake can significantly influence cholesterol levels...
  • Yogi_Carl
    Options

..... , we are actually capable of understanding that they can suffer and do what we can to minimize that. Predators do not know, care, nor make any effort to minimize suffering. Nor do diseases. It's my experience that people who use the word "ethical" in relation to our interactions with animals tend to live in a fantasy world where the only suffering that ever happens is at the hands of humans, and generally have no clue what "ethical" even means.

I agree.
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options

I am vegan.
    We are each entitled to our views on a public forum such as this and I thank everyone for giving their open honest views and not attacking me personally for sharing mine.

No no, not attacking, if that's what it came off as! If you were not a vegan, it would be extremely hypocritical, though. You are right, you are entitled to your opinion so long as you don't try to make people feel bad for not doing what you do. I applaud you for saying things like this and sticking to a certain way of living because that is what you believe is right.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options

I am vegan.

No no, not attacking, if that's what it came off as! If you were not a vegan, it would be extremely hypocritical, though. You are right, you are entitled to your opinion so long as you don't try to make people feel bad for not doing what you do. I applaud you for saying things like this and sticking to a certain way of living because that is what you believe is right.

I do believe that some of the props have fallen away from the vegan's arguments that we need fewer agricultural animals on the planet. Turns out large numbers of animals are good for combating desertification. Here's a TED lecture by a respected naturalist, Alan Savory, who has done some pilot projects using meat herds. The land needs the animals as much as we need them for food. The human body thrives on the high-quality protein that we get from meat-animals. I am totally in favor of ethical practices in raising them but we need meat and eggs. I have known too many former vegans who simply could not sustain the vegan way of life. Here's that excellent TED lecture: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=vpTHi7O66pI
  • Yogi_Carl
    Options

Thank you for this.

I would never wish to make people feel bad for not following a path of my choosing, but do reserve the freedom to post my own point of view.

My reason for posting was not to make people feel bad or cast judgement but because a lot of people view eggs as a by-product of the poultry industry and not directly involved in the killing of hens and *kitten*. Of course that is not the case as the egg industry have no use for the majority of males, which are selected out as hatchlings and killed - in my opinion in an inhumane way. I won't go into details here.

I have, as a volunteer for Weekend Work on Orgainic Farms, killed chickens and chicks myself and for me personally I know I could not continue to do this, so I choose not to eat eggs. It is different when you feel the life of the animal come to an end at your own hand.

I respect others' opinions and choices, but do feel that people should be empowered to make informed choices.

Thank you and much respect.
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Dietary fat and cholesterol have nothing to do with the fat and cholesterol on and in your body.

Dietary cholesterol has little to do with the body's cholesterol levels, but dietary fat intake can significantly influence cholesterol levels...
    How dietary fat intake affects the cholesterol levels depends on many factors:

1. Increase in saturated fat intake (especially medium chain triglycerides) while reducing carbohydrate intake causes (not just correlates to) both an INCREASE in HDL-C (the 'healthy cholesterol' - which is really a lipoprotein, but I won't get into that) and a DECREASE in LDL-C (the 'bad' cholesterol).

2. Reduction in overall dietary fat intake (of all types) and replacing those calories with carbohydrates which increases triglyceride levels. Ratio of HDL to triglycerides is now known to be an indicator of CVD risk, whereas total serum cholesterol is NOT.

3. There are healthier fats than others.

The jury is still out on saturated fat from animal products - there is no consensus, as such the medical advise to watch saturated fat intake from that source is not yet proven invalid. However there is also no consensus that avoiding saturated fat DOES increase risk of CVD.

One type of saturated fat known as medium-chain triglycerides (MCT) however is shown to have extremely positive effects in improving the lipid profile as well as glycemic control in diabetics. (Coconut oil and palm kernel oil are the best-sources of MCT, but there's others.)

Trans-fats, however, there is a mountain of evidence and solid consensus on. These are not-often labeled as "trans-fat" products - the labels usually refer to them as "hydrogenated" or "partially-hydrogenated".

Highly refined oils - corn, soybean, cottonseed and refined canola (though not necessarily cold-pressed canola) have often been promoted as healthier alternatives - but very well may not be. These often have high inflammatory properties and the research does not indicate that they are healthier in any way now to lard, butter, or cold-pressed / unrefined oils.

The bottom line: While increasing dietary fat MAY increase serum cholesterol levels (not always the case, I went from a 30% caloric fat intake to 70% caloric fat intake and improved both the profile and reduced the total, and this happens often in healthy ketogenic dieters), if healthy choices of fat are chosen, it will improve the cholesterol profile (HDL:LDL ratio) while also lower triglyceride levels and other markers of CVD.

What this means for you:If eating whole eggs and other saturated fats while reducing less-healthy fats and refined carbohydrate improves your cholesterol profile, and your HDL:triglycerides ratio, do it. If it doesn't ... don't.
  • iLoveMyAR15
    iLoveMyAR15 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    all this talk about eggs is making me hungry...I love me some eggs
  • MindyG150
    MindyG150 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I eat between 6 and 12 eggs a week, love them any way I can get them (you can keep the deviled ones, I don't like those, I think it's a texture thing).
  • ApexLeader
    ApexLeader Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    i ate 8 eggs today
  • mlcantwell
    mlcantwell Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    The male chicks have their use as well, the bird of prey centre I went to last week uses them to feed all their birds (see profile pic).

I love eggs, they are nearly a perfect protein, containing most of the essential amino acids.

Save calories by making them with no oil, like poaching, or soft/hard boiling! I like to add pesto to my scrambled eggs, it's really nice.

I was born and raised in Italy, so you gave me a great idea! Pesto on scrambled eggs! Thanks for helping me making lunch today!:wink:
    :) hope you like it!