For those of you that invite others to objectify you:

Options

Replies

• BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    I think your absolutely right, well put. As for most of the reactions, they are textbook: people (mostly men) belitling the question, women getting angry because they in particular don't feel they suffer from this culture (they do) and a lot of "it's all just fun and games what's the harm?".

That wasn't a question, that was a sermon.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    With all of the truly horrible things that go on in the world, from sex trafficking of minors to genocide to Justin Beiber, I really think that trying to link a couple of obvious flirt threads in a fun and games section of an online forum to the overarching objectification of women and general bias against the obese or ugly in Western culture is a waste of time.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I am astonished and ashamed at how grown adults in this thread have taken to attacking, insulting, and belittling the OP with their awful comments.

This is completely pathetic.
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options
    I am astonished and ashamed at how grown adults in this thread have taken to attacking, insulting, and belittling the OP with their awful comments.

lol
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Woman's Studies major?

This^ with too much time with a bong. I have heard these kinds of ramblings back in the 90's at Phish concerts.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options

if it surprises you then you must be very naive.
  • n8dawg77
    n8dawg77 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    My goal is to be eye candy for as many women as possible.

story of my life bro!!!
  • dbrightwell1270
    dbrightwell1270 Posts: 1,732 Member
    Options
    I speak not just on behalf of women but of everyone on this site.

I'm pretty sure you don't.
  • n8dawg77
    n8dawg77 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I like sex

oh wait, did you say we SHOULDN'T objectify ourselves?

S**t.

Also, I think OP just needs to get laid. Someone volunteer. Some extra cardio for the day...

Willing to take one for the team... I've got about 4 minutes before lunch!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Hum, I don't participate in the posts, but I regularly objectify the men around me and I sometimes choose not to wear a tent or a birkka. Sometimes I even wear a tight piece of clothing, a shirt that isn't a turtle neck, a short skirt with high heels, pose for pictures to show off my progress, a bathing suit to the beach, and I top off that naughty cake with my drindle. It seems I've been a very very naughty girl, this may even deserve a spanking.
  • VeroniqueBoilard
    VeroniqueBoilard Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I just read the first two pages but I'm going to say this: I also think those thread are unhealthy but since people are willing participants, nothing we can do.

But the fact that people (mostly man) started giving you ratings and categorized you when you clearly express your discomfort and DID NOT choose to participate in those game is exactly the reason why you post in the first place.

People then reduce your reflexion and ideas to a "no-fun, debbie-downer, annoying" girl. You can disagree with someone and not threat them like they are dumb half-wit, especially when I doubt anyone here spend a lot of time reading or educating themselves on the subject of objectification or beauty.

I'm sorry people can't express their disagreement without condescension... :S

Edit to add: I'm not a Women studies major, I'm a lawyer in training. But in my Women rights class 25% of the class were men who constantly raised their hand in disbelief or even to apologize... Sometimes it's hard to see ones privilege like being white vs minorities or men vs women. :(
  • FitnessCharl
    Options
    With all of the truly horrible things that go on in the world, from sex trafficking of minors to genocide to Justin Beiber, I really think that trying to link a couple of obvious flirt threads in a fun and games section of an online forum to the overarching objectification of women and general bias against the obese or ugly in Western culture is a waste of time.

Love that you chucked in a bit of Beiber.....Hate that little man child
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I just read the first two pages but I'm going to say this: I also think those thread are unhealthy but since people are willing participants, nothing we can do.

But the fact that people (mostly man) started giving you ratings and categorized you when you clearly express your discomfort and DID NOT choose to participate in those game is exactly the reason why you post in the first place.

People then reduce your reflexion and ideas to a "no-fun, debbie-downer, annoying" girl. You can disagree with someone and not threat them like they are dumb half-wit, especially when I doubt anyone here spend a lot of time reading or educating themselves on the subject of objectification or beauty.

People need to believe that their opinions are worthwhile and that they're good people. When someone criticizes or attacks those beliefs, they lash out.. and that's how you get those sorts of responses in this thread.
  • RushBabe214
    RushBabe214 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Woman's Studies major?

This.
  • glovepuppet
    Options

low grade sexual harassment as punishment for voicing an opinion. meh, it's entirely predictable.
    at the instigation of some woman, some dude offers to bang her into being more fun. predictable, again.

still, i expect she could get a paper out of this thread.
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options

People need to believe that their opinions are worthwhile and that they're good people. When someone criticizes or attacks those beliefs, they lash out.. and that's how you get those sorts of responses in this thread.

'People' also need tougher skin when it comes to teasing and not take crap so seriously.
  • yksdoris
    yksdoris Posts: 327 Member
    Options

this. and that they do it "because it's all chit-chat, fun and games"

as for me, meh. people can do whatever they want so long as it's consensual and doesn't hurt other people. Therefore as I don't like objectification, I don't post into those threads and when stuff like "ur hot, wanna come talk to me afterwards about... um.. work" is said to me, I get insulted. The answer is point blank "no." and you BETTER not be offended by it because believe me, the "no." was me being polite. (seriously, for the first time in the 3 years I've been going to my gym, that happened last week)
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options

Cognitive dissonance at its finest...
  • VeroniqueBoilard
    VeroniqueBoilard Posts: 71 Member
    Options

True. :(
  • glovepuppet
    Options
    'People' also need tougher skin when it comes to teasing and not take crap so seriously.
    classic playground justification.
This discussion has been closed.