For those of you that invite others to objectify you:

Options

Replies

• DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Well, the way I see it, I'm like, a solid 4. People on those threads always give me a good 7 or 8. So really, it's where I go when I want people to tell me I'm pretty because everyone totally lies on those threads to make people feel good. It's a win/win.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I avoid those threads because I think they're stupid. But it has no effect on me whatsoever if others do. In short, who cares?

Anyone perceptive enough to realize that gender issues are one of the biggest problems in western society.

and they're not in the east?

Might be. Probably are. Dunno. Not much experience with those cultures, and they don't seem to be represented much on MFP.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    Woman's Studies major?

That was exactly my thought too...

I'm a bad person. :)
  • christahollis
    Options
    Agreed. The rate threads are just useless, and I avoid them.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I avoid those threads because I think they're stupid. But it has no effect on me whatsoever if others do. In short, who cares?

Anyone perceptive enough to realize that gender issues are one of the biggest problems in western society.
    Wait what? What does that have to do with those threads? Cause I was referring to those threads.

I wasn't aware we were talking about worldwide gender inequality. But if we were, I can guarantee you that I am aware.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    just stay out of them then cant control others focus on you
  • EvilDollee
    EvilDollee Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    As Ryan Driller once said "I'd feel worse if you weren't objectifying me". But really, no one gives a flying fuuuuuuuuuuuuu what people say or do online and if anything online matters, you need to reevaluate your priorities. Why would anything said online taken seriously? Everyone are adults here, you can't "train" them because they know how to think for themselves.
  • Shabadu
    Shabadu Posts: 211
    Options
    When you post things like "bang, date, marry?" or "cute, hot, or sexy?" and ask people to objectify you, you are training them to think of everyone around them in those terms. You invite them to make a value judgement of your body, and they begin to make those judgements about others. I speak not just on behalf of women but of everyone on this site. Our culture places way too much value on judgements about people. Is it not enough to just be what you are? Do you have to be "bangable" or "flirty" or have all of these other labels attached to you? And if you do, could you handle that somewhere other than a site for folks who aren't satisfied with their bodies anyways? I realize an ego boost is nice, and I don't mind getting ego boosts every so often, but maybe the place for that is your personal profile or a "hot or not" site.

I can't tell you guys what to post or what to think- the purpose of this post is to invite some discussion about how we create these labels and values for each other and ourselves even as they make us uncomfortable or sad. Many women feel that a "male-dominated culture" has set up these cages of self-judgement for them, but then they go out in pants that say "juicy" across their butts or ask others how hot they are from 1-10. I try really hard to avoid these types of discussions, firstly because beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and secondly because I feel that I have value in and of myself, not just when I'm given a number or a name.

What do you guys think? Do you like it when people tell you you're a certain type of person? Do you like it when people rate you? Do you think others like it when you rate them?

Bang
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Wait what? What does that have to do with those threads? Cause I was referring to those threads.

I wasn't aware we were talking about worldwide gender inequality. But if we were, I can guarantee you that I am aware.

I know what you were referring to. You said those threads don't have an effect on you.

News flash: they do.
  • effrontery
    effrontery Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Agree with the OP, and think you're pretty damn brave for voicing your opinion!
  • Tennolina
    Tennolina Posts: 2,413
    Options
    px2lWRN.gif

^ this!
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    Do not care about other's opinions. Only mine.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options

I know what you were referring to. You said those threads don't have an effect on you.

News flash: they do.
    Reaching just a tad.
  • Admiral_Derp
    Admiral_Derp Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    tumblr_lujekbsqHJ1qcak00.gif
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I find the OP's belief that objectification on mfp will spill into real life very Interesting. I don't participate in those threads, but I am sure my impressions of male and female beauty will have been subtly altered by my presence on mfp. I probably accept a more muscular look as being desirable than I did before. When I see a beautiful body now, one thing I notice is muscle definition or lack of it, whereas previously I would not have noticed so much. Do I think this is bad? Not really. As long as I am conscious of how such a bias developed and I do not use it to judge the intrinsic worth of a person.

As for the influence of the 'objectifying' threads in real life, surely it would be an improvement if everyone saw all of those around them as rating in the 8-10 range. I've never scored people that way myself (though I used to write top 10s of boys I liked as a teen) but it is unreasonable to Pretend that mindset exists purely on mfp.

I fell asleep half-way through writing this, so someone may have said all of this already! Sorry! :flowerforyou:
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options

and they're not in the east?

Might be. Probably are. Dunno. Not much experience with those cultures, and they don't seem to be represented much on MFP.

It doesn't take much reading around to realise that 'gender issues' are a far bigger issue outside of the 'Western world'. Today there are still places where a woman can be stoned to death for being raped...

And, returning to the thread, where women do not have the choice to choose to be objectified freely. Here, I can wear what I want, flaunt what I want and not be killed for it. Perhaps the ability to 'ask to be objectified' at will is a freedom we should be proud of...
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Hey OP those threads are completely lame I agree. But to say that rating someone's body is objectifying them is a stretch.

We're on a fitness site. Believe it or not alot of people partake in fitness to become more attractive. The fact that they're receiving compliments about their bodies (usually it's the same compliment and the same people over and over again for 20+ pages) isn't objectification or lack of respect. I think your high more code would be better suited to real life situations that actually matter.
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mibtkwHcN01rjcfxro1_250.gif
  • SerenaFisher
    SerenaFisher Posts: 2,170 Member
    Options
    My goal is to be eye candy for as many women as possible.
    Funny that's my goal too.

The objectification happens whether we like it or not in public its just not openly said...
  • MelMoly
    MelMoly Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    Don't talk about my eye candy like that!
This discussion has been closed.