another fat shaming post

Options

Replies

• CrazyC
    CrazyC Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I say, let them show off their work, they've earned it.

I TOTALLY agree... I truly believe showing others progress pics is a great idea!! I do NOT believe it causes fat bashing or at least I would hope not since the particular individual has the "guts" to show themselves, in the "raw" -- good, bad and the sometimes less unattactive parts in one's own mind)... Personally, I believe It's a time to gloat a little :smile: and showcase the hard work (time, energy, blood, sweat and tears) that the individual has gone through thus far. I believe it SHOULD be a celebration of the accomplishment that they've reached. :smile:

Honestly, I think we all should be proud of our successes and accomplishments no matter how big or small... It takes A LOT of courage, dedication, perseverance and motivation to lose weight. It's NOT easy, but it is SO worth it. I would like to think MOST people understand that we're only tooting our own horns per se, because we are PROUD of ourselves and our hard work, and it's NOT showing off and/or being egotistical.

As far as posting progress pics that's each to their own. I personally, am ashamed (I know I shouldn't be -- it's REALLY stupid) especially because I am doing something about it... I should really practice what I preach. I have come a long way in the last 3 months, but I am a perfectionist and I don't know if I'm comfy enough showing the "world" my "flaws" YET... But, that's just me... That said, I have definitely thought about it...

Bottom line, I TOTALLY agree with everyone else, I find GREAT motivation and encouragement from seeing others progress pics and reading their stories. I do NOT think of them as FAT or GROSS or whatever... I think everyone is beautiful in their own unique ways regardless of how much they do or do NOT weigh... Therefore, when I become less "shy" I may post my progress pics as well, but NOT today!! HAAAAAAA! :blushing:
  • pkinblue
    pkinblue Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I am on the side of not shaming. I see it as a visualization of the truth. For how many of you (like me) was it a picture taken of you that you finally saw your body how others see it and decided to change?

I know that for me, I see ONLY what I need to in the mirror--my hair when brushing, my eye when doing makeup, my general front to make sure my buttons are done up right.. Is my zipper zipped? I don't really SEE myself in the mirror.

But for some reason, looking at a photo changes that perception. I notice my double chin--I see my hips and thighs and bum...and then I get mad and then I get motivated. And believe me--I avoid candid photos at almost ridiculous cost.

So a before and after picture is simply a tool used to gauge progress. Unless you photoshop, the camera doesn't lie.

And if other people see your before and after shots because you decided to share and post it, then revel in the congratulations.

If you feel ashamed of how you looked or even how you look today no one is forcing you to a) post your own pictures or b) look at anyone elses.

If you are just a private person then by all means don't post.
    But don't hide from the truth.

The truth is we all can do this with enough effort and focus and self-discipline. So view the pictures in the spirit in which they are shared (likely) which is to say I can do it, so can you.
  • lilbearzmom
    lilbearzmom Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    OK, this is coming from someone (me) who was morbidly obese for years and am working on getting healthy and have lost 88 pounds in the process. I may be thinking really simplistically, but I think the reason they are against posting progress/before and after pictures is that they themselves are unhappy with the way they are and don't have inspirational photos to post. It's dissatisfaction with their own lives.
  • heileen66
    heileen66 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    They inspire me to keep working toward my goal. Change is really possible!
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    (my computer crashed the first time I typed this out, so hopefully it wont this time)

Do you consider progress pics and before and after shots a form of fat shaming? I read a blog post about it on tumblr where the author was a heavy woman who hates the idea that the fat version of someone is not good enough for everybody. Most of the comments that agreed were from heavier people who say we should love ourselves no matter what size we are and that getting thin is a way to keep women weak and helpless (lol at weak and helpless). Another comment stated that she stopped posting progress pics because the best progress is what you cannot see. Do you agree?

Do you think it's a form of fat shaming or do you think it's motivating?
    Why do you post or dont post progress pictures?

I think that entire concept is totally ridiculous!

It's absolutely motivational. The only people who would find it shaming are those that want everyone else to support their choice to be fat.

Period.
  • jessicae1aine
    Options
    I don't consider it either.

I consider it sharing facts. It's not like weight loss is the only before-and-after type of picture out there.
  • Jackson4590
    Jackson4590 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    when i read all that stuff it's just people making excuses. why go to college? you're good enough the way you are. why learn to ride a bike? you're good enough the way you are? why get married? you're good enough the way you are.

it's just excuses and it's the reason our country is all fat. i was fat so i know all about it. unless you ARE EMBARRASSED you won't change.
  • badtastebetty
    badtastebetty Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    The term ``fat shaming`` bugs me to no end, and I am an extremely body positive person. I just see this term thrown around far to often, and I feel the people who are using it have internalized this shame that is no ones fault but their own.

Also, this is a web site centred around weight loss, no matter how big of small.
  • glennstoudt
    glennstoudt Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    This seems a pretty popular thread. If someone benefits from posting pictures it seems a good thing to do for them. That is the point. It's good for them. It doesn't matter if it's good for anyone else. Shame is not one of the seven sins, but gluttony is. If someone takes the time to share their consideration and effort, I believe it's worthy. Why would anyone suggest that it is deragatory. Not following that one.
  • purpleleopard76
    purpleleopard76 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Whether or not it is motivating is dependent upon an individuals goals. We all came her to shed weight, therefore, your responses will pretty much resonate with motivating. However, apparently this lady who made these comments intends to stay big. But rather than her being demotivated, because she really isn't motivated in the first place, it's more likely that it is causing her to feel some measure of guilt for treating her body so badly.

I soooo agree. These people do recognise that they're treating themselves badly but just don't want to admit it. I don't know one overweight person who is genuinely happy being overweight (me included) - despite what they like to pretend to themselves and everyone else. Think of all the restrictions on your life - you can't go and play with your kids, you struggle fitting into swings and rides at the park etc, your health suffers, you set a bad example for your kids, you struggle buying shoes & clothes cos you need wider fittings or bigger sizes. For instance, I'm not particularly large (UK 14) and I hate going into a normal high street stores to buy clothes. Why? Because it is so hard to find anything that fits well or makes me look and feel good in. If I feel that then surely someone bigger than me must feel that too!

Yes society makes everyone feel a bit pressured into being smaller / fitter / prettier etc but think what we'd become if there was no pressure and everyone just let themselves go - I dread to think!! I also think that it is natural to want to look and feel your best. Yes, everyone should be treated equally regardless of their size and yes it's ok to have curves - but when the curves become tyres of fat putting pressure on all your vital organs it's just not pretty regardless what anyone says.

These people just don't want to admit to themselves that their size makes them unhappy and unhealthy because that means that they need to make the first step and do something about it, and I think without a good kick up the backside or that first heart attack (if they survive it) to bring them into reality, sadly they just won't ever admit it to themselves because it requires effort and commitment which they're not willing to give - they've let it go to the point where it's easier for them to do nothing!

In my opinion this is a selfish attitude because they either don't think or don't care about the effect their lifestyle has on their family & friends who probably worry about them on a daily basis and not to mention the huge strain on the health service with billions of taxpayers money being spent every year on weight related illnesses. Being overweight is mostly self inflicted (there are some who are overweight through medical reasons) but it is also treatable and the money spent every year on obesity could be put to better use such as vital funding for research into cancer etc which is not treatable and not self inflicted.

Sure everyone struggles, but if you don't love yourself and respect your body the way you deserve to in order to enjoy your life, nobody else is going to do it for you and I for one would rather put in the effort to make sure that I am as fit and healthy as I can be in order to enjoy my life with my sons and to ensure that I will be there for them for as long as possible and to give them the best possible start in life by setting them the example they need to make sure that they know the importance of eating healthily and looking after themselves for when I'm not here.

Sorry if i ranted but these people just make me MAD!!! All it takes is a bit of effort even if it's only a little bit at a time - at least you're taking responsibility for yourself, your health and you're future.

You basically just described who I was before I realized who I was and decided to change. Everything you've said is completely true.. Very well worded.

Ditto :flowerforyou:

Baileyhoughton and Tracieangeletti I commend both of you for being honest with yourselves and making the positive steps towards improving your health and happiness and wish you all the best on your journey. It's just a pity that so many people will never have that realisation that they could have a completely different life if they're just honest with themselves.

As JLS said "You only get one shot - so make it count, you will never have this moment again" haha :tongue:
  • Sul3i
    Sul3i Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I believe they are very encouraging and inspirational!!! I've been inspired many times by others success and I've inspired others myself who are and have lost significant weight n it usually starts w before n after shots! Its proof if u want ur life and health and well being back it can be done! While yes I feel I look great in clothes its more about just feeling young and mobile and healthy and alive again! I don't feel heavier is shameful at all!
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    People want to boast when they lose weight and perhaps show others that may be in despair that it IS possible to change.

Some folks are just oversensitive and insecure so they hate. :)

True
  • sweetchildomine
    sweetchildomine Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I wish someone would provide a link to that blog post! I really want to see what this person has to say. I personally think its a load of crap. Yes, fat shaming is a real thing BUT posting progress pics has NOTHING to do with it. I'm going to be completely honest here...I DO think I look better now than I did when I was overweight. Does that mean that I think fat people are disgusting? No. Does that mean that I'm somehow evil and shallow just because I like only having one chin? NO! It just means that I didn't like the way I personally looked so I worked hard to change it!!! On top of that, its total bs saying if you lose weight you're weak and helpless. SO DUMB. When I was overweight I would get out of breath doing the simplest tasks. Since I lost weight I have felt the strongest and most energetic I have ever felt in my entire life. It sounds like this chick isn't happy with herself and to be frank, is just a hater lol.
    tumblr_macj7vJLgK1r9dv1qo1_400.gif
    I can't stop laughing at this gif LOL.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    People want to boast when they lose weight and perhaps show others that may be in despair that it IS possible to change.

Some folks are just oversensitive and insecure so they hate. :)

So much this.

People post their pictures because they are proud of their accomplishments, and they are looking for support for their accomplishments from others. Other people either take them as motivation for themselves, or they get jealous and show their hate...IMHO.

Definitely NOT fat shaming in the least.
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    When I was morbidly obese for a while it was hard for me to imagine I could change anything. Looking at other peoples transformation helped me realise it was possible and you didn't have to be a unique individual to do it. All tranformations require hard work and honesty and that was the common denominater I saw. I'm far from weak...stronger of mind and body. My weight held me back physically, still was/am a good person but have more confidence in projecting it.

In the end bottom line is health that's the other thing I realised. I used to defend love me no matter what but at the very heart I began to realise the cost to my lifespan.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options

Being fat ISN'T good.

It's bad.

Nobody aspires to be fat.

Some people actually do. And I have to agree that it's bad.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2026964/Susanne-Emans-bid-worlds-fattest-woman-52st-mother-2-supersizing.html

Wow!

I have now seen everything . . . .

This is completely ludicrous.

If she was starving herself and reducing herself to skin and bones she'd be in a mental institution.

Yet for some reason this is allowed to continue . . . .
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I really just wish people would stop projecting their own psychological issues onto everyone else. If you think being obese is some symbol of female empowerment, that's your problem. Don't tell me that by losing 100 lbs, I'm perpetuating the notion that women are weak and helpless. That's a crock of ****.

THIS....

Also--I don't see progress photos as "fat shaming" at all, and I find it rather bizarre that anyone would think this way. All I can suggest is that the woman who blogged about viewing progress photos in that way is very unhappy with herself and would probably actually LIKE to lose weight, but for whatever reason she isn't doing it.

I felt awful at my heaviest. I don't even want to look at my before photo, which, by the way, was taken after I'd lost about 30 lbs. I just felt terrible physically and emotionally. That before photo has remained in my camera to this day because it's just not something I want to revisit. It isn't "fat shaming" to say that I felt horrible, and not so much because of how I looked. Sure, that was part of it, but more importantly, I ached and had all sorts of health issues related to my poor diet/unhealthy sedentary lifestyle. That is a fact, and no shame in saying that.

If one feels great as an overweight, obese, or morbidly obese person, I don't see why they'd be so concerned with those who are losing weight because they DON'T feel great in their bodies. You'd think they'd be all for people feeling good about themselves and feeling physically well, right?
  • purpleleopard76
    Options

Being fat ISN'T good.

It's bad.

Nobody aspires to be fat.

Some people actually do. And I have to agree that it's bad.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2026964/Susanne-Emans-bid-worlds-fattest-woman-52st-mother-2-supersizing.html

Wow!

I have now seen everything . . . .

This is completely ludicrous.

If she was starving herself and reducing herself to skin and bones she'd be in a mental institution.

Yet for some reason this is allowed to continue . . . .

She says ‘The bigger I get, the better I feel. I feel more confident and sexy. Why shouldn't I push the limits and see how fat I can get and stay healthy?’

‘I go for a waddle and do stretches and exercises every day,’ she said. 'My muscles need to hold up to my weight, so I have to stay strong.

What?? how can she possibly feel better - this poor woman is delusional. :noway:

I go for a waddle - lmfao :laugh:

And how exactly does she afford all this food on state benefit?
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    She says ‘The bigger I get, the better I feel. I feel more confident and sexy. Why shouldn't I push the limits and see how fat I can get and stay healthy?’

‘I go for a waddle and do stretches and exercises every day,’ she said. 'My muscles need to hold up to my weight, so I have to stay strong.

What?? how can she possibly feel better - this poor woman is delusional. :noway:

I'm willing to bet that despite what she claims in this article she would be happier, sexier, and more confident as a helathy and functional individual. I'm not saying people that are overweight can't be sexy or confident but there's nothing sexy or confident about being so obese you need a go cart to get around.

In all likelihood she was probably already obese and decided to just continue along the path rather than doing something about it. The fact that she's dressing it up as a "goal" and allowing the media to cling onto it is pretty ridiculous. She has an unhealthy eating disorder and that's all there is to it.
  • purpleleopard76
    Options

I'm willing to bet that despite what she claims in this article she would be happier, sexier, and more confident as a helathy and functional individual. I'm not saying people that are overweight can't be sexy or confident but there's nothing sexy or confident about being so obese you need a go cart to get around.

In all likelihood she was probably already obese and decided to just continue along the path rather than doing something about it. The fact that she's dressing it up as a "goal" and allowing the media to cling onto it is pretty ridiculous. She has an unhealthy eating disorder and that's all there is to it.

Sooo true!!!