Is this the worst that can happen to me?

Options

Replies

• lclemur
    lclemur Posts: 11
    Options
    Sometimes when things are going so bad in one's life, including illness, death, etc., losing weight is the one thing that they can focus on where they feel a sense of control. I can't stop the death and illness around me, but I can control my weight! Damn it! So, when this is the one area of your life where you feel a sense of control, and/or pride, it is very upsetting to plateau or gain a few pounds. It is all in your prospective.
  • lizlkbg
    lizlkbg Posts: 566
    Options
    Sometimes when things are going so bad in one's life, including illness, death, etc., losing weight is the one thing that they can focus on where they feel a sense of control. I can't stop the death and illness around me, but I can control my weight! Damn it! So, when this is the one area of your life where you feel a sense of control, and/or pride, it is very upsetting to plateau or gain a few pounds. It is all in your prospective.

^^^:flowerforyou:
  • Robin_Anne
    Robin_Anne Posts: 54
    Options
    I'm wondering why there are "feelings police" on this message board? A feeling is a feeling is a feeling. Ever heard the term "stuffing your feelings" or "emotional eater"? Part of the awesomeness of this forum is the social support. It's more direct to feel supported for a specific situation by people than a pint of Ben & Jerry's. I think it's great people are trying new behavior of seeking support through a like-minded community (health) than trying to go it alone or through food (when they're not hungry).
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    OP, you can't win the pain olympics. your pain isn't greater than mine, and your grief isn't stronger than mine. let people complain.

i for one love when people say things like "this is the worst thing i've ever experienced" when they're talking about not fitting into a bridesmaid dress, or couldn't keep up with jillian micheals in a dvd. why?

because i'm happy that their life hasn't been hard yet. because undoubtedly it will be. and i vaguely remember how simple and easy my life was once. and i wish it had lasted longer.

Yep.
  • lizlkbg
    lizlkbg Posts: 566
    Options
    OP, you can't win the pain olympics. your pain isn't greater than mine, and your grief isn't stronger than mine. let people complain.

i for one love when people say things like "this is the worst thing i've ever experienced" when they're talking about not fitting into a bridesmaid dress, or couldn't keep up with jillian micheals in a dvd. why?

because i'm happy that their life hasn't been hard yet. because undoubtedly it will be. and i vaguely remember how simple and easy my life was once. and i wish it had lasted longer.

:heart:
  • JBsCrazyGirl
    JBsCrazyGirl Posts: 337
    Options
    rabbit_pancake.gif
  • 5n0wbal1
    5n0wbal1 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Thank you OP. I needed that.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    rabbit_pancake.gif

I guess my argument is now invalid.

Hmph.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    rabbit_pancake.gif

I guess my argument is now invalid.

Hmph.

Your-argument-is-invalid-random-24837760-500-582_zps0db95cd0.jpg
  • GeekAmour
    GeekAmour Posts: 262
    Options

Aw man.

tumblr_ln77qdRwc81qze0nj.gif
  • abberbabber
    abberbabber Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Making others feel bad for feeling the way they do isn't the way to go. I have never, ever heard of anyone being helped just by someone saying 'Oh yeah but, so and so is so much worse off than you'.

Helping people put things into perspective is good. Making people feel bad for feeling the way they do is bad.

This, yes. I couldn't put my finger on it, but this.

OP, I get your point. And yea, it's good to have perspective in life. But your post definitely came off (IMO) as a Jewish mother level guilt trip that really wasn't inspiring at all.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Uuuh, you can't seriously be asking us all to list all the horrendous things that have happened to us, like some kind of twisted competition. I mean, you really don't want to do that. And no one wants to win that competition. And the outcome of such a thing is not something I even want to imagine.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Um I think OP needs therapy
  • kiraleilani
    kiraleilani Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Making others feel bad for feeling the way they do isn't the way to go. I have never, ever heard of anyone being helped just by someone saying 'Oh yeah but, so and so is so much worse off than you'.

Helping people put things into perspective is good. Making people feel bad for feeling the way they do is bad.

^^^This :) Exactly.
  • SusanHeinous
    Options
    With 13 years of difficulties behind me I finally decided to lose weight and find MFP an excellent resource.
    I have other places to discuss my various life dramas and would not discuss them here.
    Here is where I come looking for "motivation and support" for my attempts at leading a healthier life, only to read that problems in this specific area are considered insignificant by some people.
    It is very cruel to judge whether other people's concerns are valid or not.
    If you think them spurious or over-dramatised then say nothing and let others whose aim is to be truly supportive give their replies.
  • yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Options

Your-argument-is-invalid-random-24837760-500-582_zps0db95cd0.jpg

I laughed so hard my dogs are staring at me. Wow
  • jonchew
    jonchew Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I think that I may be able to offer some assistance here...

Death - http://www.healthboards.com/boards/death-dying/
    Hunger - http://millionsofmouths.com/forums/
    Health (many varied topics, comprehensive!) - http://ehealthforum.com/health/health_forums.html
    Political - http://www.politicalforum.com/

Dieting & fitness support - http://www.myfitnesspal.com

Google is your friend...hope this helps!
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    Options

OP, I get your point. And yea, it's good to have perspective in life. But your post definitely came off (IMO) as a Jewish mother level guilt trip that really wasn't inspiring at all.

Jewish mother level guilt trip?
    Are you Jewish?
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options

Are you Jewish?

ok karin. you made me lol.
  • abberbabber
    abberbabber Posts: 972 Member
    Options

Are you Jewish?

Nope. :smile: