Embarrassed to go jogging because of pervs.

Options

Replies

• grammysboy
    grammysboy Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I used to know where your coming from and it was annoying as Hell. I just ignored it. I never understood why men do that? I mean has it ever worked in their favor? I don't seem to have that problem anymore and I like to just blame it on the fact I moved to a yuppy neighborhood, or the fact that I jog with my large hairy husband. Just wear headphones and ignore it ( or wear a t-shirt that says "I was once man" should help some. :laugh:

As one of the resident "old" guys here, I thought this was one of the best responses I've seen in this thread. I have to admit I DO notice when a pretty girl jogs by and I have occasionally whistled or said something like, "nice gait." But in reality, I'm actually pretty harmless. I would probably keep completely still if I saw a woman wearing that shirt! lol
  • artex1024
    artex1024 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Just a note about earbuds, if you're concerned about safety, don't use them. We had an incident in Galveston where a a guy (one I used to work with actually) tried to rape two joggers. They didn't hear him coming because they were running with headphones in. Yes, it blocks out the honks, but it also blocks out any warning sounds of someone sneaking up on you.
  • SurfyFriend
    SurfyFriend Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I wear a big black hoodie and try to flatten my boobs so I look like a boy -.-'
    Try to tuck my hair in a bun or down the back of my shirt :/
  • InnerConflict
    InnerConflict Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    I wear a big black hoodie and try to flatten my boobs so I look like a boy -.-'
    Try to tuck my hair in a bun or down the back of my shirt :/

And get hollars from the Cougars! :laugh:
  • cheexy85
    cheexy85 Posts: 119
    Options
    welcome to being a relatively hot woman.

i dealt with this **** walking home all four years of high school. a couple times guys would stop and try to get me in their car.

my trick? if i think someone is checking me out, i start picking my nose.

I think it is very irresponsible of you to share your nose picking trick without proper disclosures. An amateur nose picker could easily poke their brain out while jogging.

stock-illustration-3245329-nose-picker.jpg
    ^^ this cracked me up!
  • ksmiley412
    ksmiley412 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Am I the only woman of a certain age who finds her ego boosted by a whistle, hoot or whatever? Doesn't matter who it's from - if they can make the effort to do it you must be doing something right :-)

I am with you its nice to think people find you attractive as long as there not yelling derogatory things at you whats the harm.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I run in daylight on busy roads with earbuds in. I crank the music loud enough so that when I don't care to be honked or howled at, I don't hear it.

I don't think running on busy roads with music loud enough to not hear what's going on is the safest thing in the world.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    I'd quite like to start running outside, but I'd have to go on busy roads with other people and cars. I'm scared that people are going to take the piss. I already get honked at by pervy old men and stuff randomly while walking sometimes. Ugh, it just creeps me out and makes me angry. Unless I wake up super early and go while not many people are around I don't see a way to avoid this... help!

take it as a compliment. LOL! except for them pissing, ummmm i HOPE you are not using this word literally that would be really gross.
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,117 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry those men make you feel uncomfortable. :flowerforyou:

I guess being born and raised in Bklyn, it would bother me if i went out and wasn't noticed. :laugh:

Unless, the car stops or i see the same car more than once, I don't think much of it. I always try Not to face traffic, so i don't look at the persons face, just hear them. Also having my earbuds, shades and a hat keeps me pretty secure. :flowerforyou:

I agree with the suggestions to get the earbuds or a dog.

Don't let other peoples actions take away something you enjoy. :flowerforyou:
  • nonstopper
    nonstopper Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    Go To The TRACK! Best place to free run. The only people there are ones wanting to walk or run as well. and Nobodys messes with people at the track. I would run down the roads but my wife wont let me because i cant stop the women from honking at me . Those pervy women haha!:glasses:
  • InnerConflict
    Options

When you get older it is nice to be noticed, but the Op is a teenager. I'm sure you remember how overwhelming the amount of "attention" is as a teenager.

BP, I am not trying to make a hobby out of taking an opposing stance as you. In this case, my experience as a teenager was much different. There is a main road where I grew up where the teenage girls liked to walk in order to get attention. If you honked, they smiled and waved. And I met a couple of my past girlfriends that way. Pull over, exchange numbers, etc.

I just don't view this is a big epidemic. The issue is with the OP's self esteem. Not with guy's honking their horn.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I used to know where your coming from and it was annoying as Hell. I just ignored it. I never understood why men do that? I mean has it ever worked in their favor?

Have you ever been to Florida during spring break? On a college campus? At a car show or a bike meet? To the gym? Hung out at a bar?

Yes, talking to women works . . .
  • donald149
    donald149 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Most of the running stores have daily or weekly group runs. Try joining one of those.
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I used to know where your coming from and it was annoying as Hell. I just ignored it. I never understood why men do that? I mean has it ever worked in their favor?

Have you ever been to Florida during spring break? On a college campus? At a car show or a bike meet? To the gym? Hung out at a bar?

talking works. Making kissy noises, grunting, commenting on "assets", telling a woman what you'd like to do to her? probably not so much.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

talking works. Making kissy noises, grunting, commenting on "assets", telling a woman what you'd like to do to her? probably not so much.

Yep. You've never been to spring break . . .

I'm not condoning the behavior, but it clearly works.
  • InnerConflict
    Options

Exactly what you do mean by it working in their favor anyway? If they are driving by and not stopping, what do you think they are trying to gain?

And I didn't see the post where the OP detailed the "pervy" things she hears.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I'd quite like to start running outside, but I'd have to go on busy roads with other people and cars. I'm scared that people are going to take the piss. I already get honked at by pervy old men and stuff randomly while walking sometimes. Ugh, it just creeps me out and makes me angry. Unless I wake up super early and go while not many people are around I don't see a way to avoid this... help!

Yeah I walk/jog outside in the middle of the night for mostly these reasons.

I think I'd be terrified jogging at night!

It's quiet at night where i am. No people out, and little traffic.

I just have to watch out for big dogs. There tends to be several running loose. And I can't turn my music up loud. I actually had a dog try to sneak up on me from behind. He was running up on me really quietly. I heard his toenails clicking on the pavement. But If I had my headphones on loud he might have bitten me.
    I carry mace for that, but so far just yelling at them makes them run away.

But no pervs! lol
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    I used to know where your coming from and it was annoying as Hell. I just ignored it. I never understood why men do that? I mean has it ever worked in their favor? I don't seem to have that problem anymore and I like to just blame it on the fact I moved to a yuppy neighborhood, or the fact that I jog with my large hairy husband. Just wear headphones and ignore it ( or wear a t-shirt that says "I was once man" should help some. :laugh:

I would probably keep completely still if I saw a woman wearing that shirt! lol

Guess the shirt would work.:wink:

Try something more clever, like:

Surgery Made Me A Woman
    But Running Made Me HOT!

:laugh:
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options

I've been cat called by a group of women before. They weren't at a construction site they were in a limo celebrating something I can only assume to be a bachelorette party. So it really does go both ways. This isn't a male vs. female thing.

Also since you brought up entitlement what makes you the voice for all other women?

Oh please.

A guy being catcalled by a group of women has 100% never had to worry about those women dragging him off the street, throwing him into a van and gang raping him.

No man has ever had to fear for his safety by women shouting something at him in the street. Unless she was armed, or trying to drive over him, which is far less likely.

:huh:
  • InnerConflict
    Options

I've been cat called by a group of women before. They weren't at a construction site they were in a limo celebrating something I can only assume to be a bachelorette party. So it really does go both ways. This isn't a male vs. female thing.

Also since you brought up entitlement what makes you the voice for all other women?

Oh please.

A guy being catcalled by a group of women has 100% never had to worry about those women dragging him off the street, throwing him into a van and gang raping him.

No man has ever had to fear for his safety by women shouting something at him in the street. Unless she was armed, or trying to drive over him, which is far less likely.

:huh:

"Man Sexually Assaulted By Four Women"
This discussion has been closed.