Embarrassed to go jogging because of pervs.

Options

Replies

• Jca67
    Jca67 Posts: 29
    Options
    Hi,

It was the thought of people laughing at me that put me off starting running, but i have been doing the c25k and not once person has even given me a second glance or said a word. Its the best thing i have done. I love my run days now. Do it you wont regret it once you get over the first few days honest x Feel free to add me if you wish x
  • amandapye78
    amandapye78 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I used to know where your coming from and it was annoying as Hell. I just ignored it. I never understood why men do that? I mean has it ever worked in their favor? I don't seem to have that problem anymore and I like to just blame it on the fact I moved to a yuppy neighborhood, or the fact that I jog with my large hairy husband. Just wear headphones and ignore it ( or wear a t-shirt that says "I was once man" should help some. :laugh:
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I used to know where your coming from and it was annoying as Hell. I just ignored it. I never understood why men do that? I mean has it ever worked in their favor? I don't seem to have that problem anymore and I like to just blame it on the fact I moved to a yuppy neighborhood, or the fact that I jog with my large hairy husband. Just wear headphones and ignore it ( or wear a t-shirt that says "I was once man" should help some. :laugh:

as a guy, I don't get it either. I've never hooted or hollered at women. I don't know why men do that, and I can't imagine getting any results, like a phone number, from acting like that.
  • berriboobear
    berriboobear Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I think for me, whether outside or at the gym, I'm more embarrassed about how I look to others. If I get hooted at, I would ignore it. I'm just uncomfortable with my body and showing it out in public like that ><
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Screw them..they're probably jealous because you're getting healthy..and they aren't.
    Flick the middle finger.
  • blobby10
    blobby10 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Am I the only woman of a certain age who finds her ego boosted by a whistle, hoot or whatever? Doesn't matter who it's from - if they can make the effort to do it you must be doing something right :-)
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Really if you are that worried then dont run outside, dont walk out there either.

Not being mean but really...it makes you angry to be looked at or honked at? Hell I love it. It means I look damn good even in my worst time...running. Nobody looks good running.... nobody. I love the attention. Better than the attention I got for the wrong reasons.

If you really can't stand it, then perhaps outside exercises are not for you. Get a treadmill.
  • ksmiley412
    ksmiley412 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Put in your ear buds in and ignore the arses this is about you and being healthy don't let anyone make you feel uncomfortable you control your feelings not them!
  • InnerConflict
    InnerConflict Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    Am I the only woman of a certain age who finds her ego boosted by a whistle, hoot or whatever? Doesn't matter who it's from - if they can make the effort to do it you must be doing something right :-)

This approach/attitude has my full endorsement. :smile:
  • seanezekiel
    seanezekiel Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I'd quite like to start running outside, but I'd have to go on busy roads with other people and cars. I'm scared that people are going to take the piss. I already get honked at by pervy old men and stuff randomly while walking sometimes. Ugh, it just creeps me out and makes me angry. Unless I wake up super early and go while not many people are around I don't see a way to avoid this... help!

There is nothing pervy about someone honking a horn at you. Aside from that most people don't pay any attention to joggers so i wouldnt worry.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options

This approach/attitude has my full endorsement. :smile:

:flowerforyou:
  • tbodega
    tbodega Posts: 186
    Options
    Concentrate on your jogging and your health and you won't notice these things much...especially with music on.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    welcome to being a relatively hot woman.

i dealt with this **** walking home all four years of high school. a couple times guys would stop and try to get me in their car.

my trick? if i think someone is checking me out, i start picking my nose.
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    Hey OP!

tumblr_lhle9q6IQY1qc382yo1_500.gif

yeah, I hope people stop noticing me....said me never....yeah, when I'm dead. As long as all they are doing is looking, not touching..I'll deal. Otherwise...its okay to be purty.

tumblr_m73xzxlvrP1qm9xzzo1_500.gif
  • zumbalinda22
    zumbalinda22 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'd be careful about cranking the music so loud you can't hear what's going on around you. I think more people have gotten in trouble by not being "aware" than by paying attention. Also, be careful about going "really early" before there are a lot of people around. I went running at like 5 a.m. once when it was still barely daylight, and this creepy car was following me. Almost gave me heart failure! No one was around at that time. I ran up to a random house, fumbled around in my pocket pretending to be pulling out my house keys, and the jerk accelerated and sped off. I would have kicked the damn door down if necessary! Last time I went really early! Not trying to make you paranoid; just be cautious and use common sense. : )
  • InnerConflict
    InnerConflict Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options

i dealt with this **** walking home all four years of high school. a couple times guys would stop and try to get me in their car.

I think it is very irresponsible of you to share your nose picking trick without proper disclosures. An amateur nose picker could easily poke their brain out while jogging.

stock-illustration-3245329-nose-picker.jpg
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options

HA! Nice strategy! I was walking to the store once, and a car with about three cute but obnoxious guys went past hollering at me, then they circled back with "Hey baby. Need a ride?" Well I didn't even have to say no, because at that moment, their car died! LOL! I had a great laugh over that one!
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    If women need strange men howling at them from the street to find their strength then we need to educate women more.

And I never said I was the voice for all women, I was merely empathising with the OP.

And I didn't bring up entitlement, I brought up manners.

I agree. If a woman 'needs' to be howled at from the street for confidence they may have some issues but to say that she 'needs' it is an assumption on your part. Some women are just very confident in there sexuality and understand that most of the time it's just harmless fun. Like I said, women do it as well. Search the forums. You'll find countless photos of men up with women doing this: :love:

Is that objectification: Maybe.

Is it evil or insulting? Not in my opinion.

I have a very funny visual of men standing around howling at women as they scurry away in disgust. LOL...
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    Try to ignore it. Otherwise, you can invest in a large, intimidating, silent sidekick to follow you everywhere. That usually works.
  • ChapinaGrande
    ChapinaGrande Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I don't have time to read the other responses right now, but when this happens to me...

this never happens to me. :(
This discussion has been closed.