Lets hear it, who are you related to?

Replies

• Meghan4330
    Meghan4330 Posts: 19 Member
    I'm related to Madonna and without trying to prove anything she showed up as my Doppleganger 3 times with 95% accuracy!
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    My momma. She's famous! She made the front page of the newspaper once! =) lol

lol! you always crack me up
  • CallyBeth08
    CallyBeth08 Posts: 50 Member
    I'm adopted so I don't really count it but my mom says she tracked back to Andrew jackson. Apparently that's a massive deal.

Same here. My moms fathers side, dates back to Andrew Jackson. He was a first cousin to one of my great (X?) grand fathers... Thats the only famous person I am related too, Im told. My mom was able to track my family all the way back to the mid 1400's.
  • CarolinaGirlinVA
    CarolinaGirlinVA Posts: 1,512 Member
    Silly family rumor I am related to Geronimo... also by marriage related to JFK.

My kids are related to Geronimo also through their father.
  • strongnotskinny121
    strongnotskinny121 Posts: 329 Member
    I KNOW I am related to Ulysses S. Grant. He married a great-great-great-great aunt. His son bears her maiden name.
  • HappilyLifts
    HappilyLifts Posts: 429 Member
    My mum and dad are really into this ancestry thing but I have never had time for it until I started reading this interesting thread. I decided to text her and this is what she has told me:
    On my mum's side she has gone back to 1140. I am related to Sir William Espileman, Lord of Brokenhurst, Hampshire, UK and more recently to Sir Henry Spelman of Norfolk, UK. The Spelmans were knights who fought in the 4th crusade and were then rich merchants in the 14th and 15th century and then ropemakers in the 16th to 17th century. That's where the wealth ended :smile:

We are also related to Sir John Spelman, a judge who was involved in Anne Boleyn's trial.

Mum also says we are related to a poet who is buried in Westminster Abbey and a historian who wrote about Alfred the Great and a high judge. I guess that makes me, a mum, homemaker and part time tutor a bit of a let down :laugh:
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Seems like everyone I know swears they are related to someone famous in history. I know people who think they are related to the Queen of England, Adolph Hitler, Jessie James(the outlaw) etc...

So, who do you THINK you are related to as it pertains to famous people in history?
    Well it would be nigh on impossible to be related to the Queen of England as she died childless in 1603 and the English Monarchy was more or less replaced by the Scottish Monarchy (when King James VI of Scotland became James I of England) although it was a further 104 years before the United Kingdom came into being on 1 May 1707.

The bloodline after about 7 or 8 generations becomes so muddied that it's almost as if we were all related to each other... especially if you subscribe to intelligent design :wink:

My grandfather was one of 14 children and his father before him was also one of many. Our line from my paternal great grandfather continues in Rhode Island, but those are the last males of that line. My niece has also got a son, but he's not carrying on the family name (even more so as my niece adopted her step-father's surname before she became a mother).

I don't believe we have any really famous or celebrated relations as far as I'm aware, but our Clan does go back to the Stuarts (the Scottish Kings who subsequently became the monarchs of the UK) so it's not unrealistic to think that some of our line has royal linage.

On my maternal side, my grandfather is unknown, so I could be related to somebody famous in more recent times and not know it! :bigsmile: :laugh:
  • HappilyLifts
    HappilyLifts Posts: 429 Member
    My mum and dad are really into this ancestry thing but I have never had time for it until I started reading this interesting thread. I decided to text her and this is what she has told me:
    On my mum's side she has gone back to 1140. I am related to Sir William Espileman, Lord of Brokenhurst, Hampshire, UK and more recently to Sir Henry Spelman of Norfolk, UK. The Spelmans were knights who fought in the 4th crusade and were then rich merchants in the 14th and 15th century and then ropemakers in the 16th to 17th century. That's where the wealth ended :smile:

We are also related to Sir John Spelman, a judge who was involved in Anne Boleyn's trial.

Mum also says we are related to a poet who is buried in Westminster Abbey and a historian who wrote about Alfred the Great and a high judge. I guess that makes me, a mum, homemaker and part time tutor a bit of a let down :laugh:

She has just sent another text to say there are Spelmans in the US who married into the Rockerfeller family.
  • korsicash
    korsicash Posts: 770 Member
    Based on my families tartan colors and various sources King David the first of Scotland is supposedly a great great etc etc grandfather. Hemmingway's old man in the sea was supposedly about a great great uncle. On my mother's side of the family based on family tree Winston Churchill and Franklin Pierce.
  • Biggy5890
    Biggy5890 Posts: 9 Member
    Pocohontas. Uncanny resemblance.
  • rachelbethany
    rachelbethany Posts: 211 Member
    No one cool. Houston Nutt, former coach of Arizona's football team or something. lol. (I'm a Nutt, too.)
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    My Dad's cousin is a bit of celebrity in Canada - he's Paul Henderson who scored the winning goal against the USSR in the 1972 ice hockey Summit Series.
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    The well researched genealogy on my paternal side lists Priscilla Mullins (a Mayflower passenger), John Adams, John Quincy Adams, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, and Dan Quayle.
  • kittib
    kittib Posts: 3
    Great, great, great ( and maybe one more great).. uncle Zebulon Pike (explorer who found Pike's Peak....was it lost?) on my father's mother's side and Stonewall Jackson (shot while drunk by own sentry??? ) on my mother's mother's side.... and lots of other miscreants hahahah...
  • kittib
    Stonewall Jackson
  • kittib
    Oh I forgot....I am related to Brandi ....and thus she is related to Zebulon Pike too!!! LOL
  • Bahet
    Bahet Posts: 1,254 Member
    Hubby is related to Lucas Black, Alvin York (The one the movie Sgt York was based from) and Daniel Radcliff (Harry Potter). There's no one famous in my family.
  • klynn81
    klynn81 Posts: 178 Member
    Bing Crosby.
  • psmith_five
    psmith_five Posts: 55 Member
    I'm a Smith so I know there's got to be someone famous I'm related to but tracking it on the other hand is a different story.
  • Ntdrkyet
    Ntdrkyet Posts: 64 Member
    My geneology tree on my mothers side has been traced to Madonna, and my great uncle worked at the prison in New York (Sing Sing, I think) that held the Rosenburgs (russian spies)ad he was the one who "pulled the switch" when they were put to death...