Freakin Deadlifts

Options

Replies

• porffor
    porffor Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    Don't have a barbell in my gym but I modified a cable gym with the barbell attachment and an aerobic step to raise me enough to do a lift on. Not exactly the same from ground up I don't suppose but the weights were resting so as near as I could get. I did 60kg which is 132lb.. I am pretty amazed at that I must admit as hadn't figured it was that much. Thinking perhaps the actual lift isn't as strong as it would be with a proper set up as seems to be a bit on the heavy side for a first attempt. Roll on christmas when they get some free weights. :)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I already posted on the 'brag thread' but am so happy with my deadlift from yesterday I wanted to post here also.

I did 3 reps at 200lb yesterday morning - my form wasn't exactly pretty, but heh, I got it up! I am usually never nervous about a lift but in my mind the '2' in front of it was a bit intimidating.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Don't have a barbell in my gym but I modified a cable gym with the barbell attachment and an aerobic step to raise me enough to do a lift on. Not exactly the same from ground up I don't suppose but the weights were resting so as near as I could get. I did 60kg which is 132lb.. I am pretty amazed at that I must admit as hadn't figured it was that much. Thinking perhaps the actual lift isn't as strong as it would be with a proper set up as seems to be a bit on the heavy side for a first attempt. Roll on christmas when they get some free weights. :)

Do they have dumbells currently?
  • porffor
    Options

Yeah and mighty ones, was thinking of deadlift with them and had a thread running on here, as I'm using a smiths for squats. I used the barbell adaptation for snatch's too yesterday. I am doing farmers walks with the dumbbells but my grip lets me down if I go over 18kg on my left hand. :$
  • porffor
    Options
    I already posted on the 'brag thread' but am so happy with my deadlift from yesterday I wanted to post here also.

I did 3 reps at 200lb yesterday morning - my form wasn't exactly pretty, but heh, I got it up! I am usually never nervous about a lift but in my mind the '2' in front of it was a bit intimidating.

You lifted more than me!! :)
    Congrats! Must feel so great, and I'm sure the form / prettiness will come with time! :)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

You lifted more than me!! :)
    Congrats! Must feel so great, and I'm sure the form / prettiness will come with time! :)

My form is good at slightly lower weights - it just got ugly at the 200lb mark. Its really hard to keep a straight back at that weight (well, for me it was). Oh, and it does feel great - thanks.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Yeah and mighty ones, was thinking of deadlift with them and had a thread running on here, as I'm using a smiths for squats. I used the barbell adaptation for snatch's too yesterday. I am doing farmers walks with the dumbbells but my grip lets me down if I go over 18kg on my left hand. :$

It will probably be better for the others who have more experience to weigh in here, but I would think it better to use dumbells that the cables to deadlift if you do not have barbells. I would also use dumbells for squats over a smith machine.

Re the weight on the cables - it is really hard to discern what the real weight is on those machines - a lot of it depends on how many times the pully goes up and around. I know the one we have at our gym - on one of the cables, I can only do half the weight on my tricep overhead extensions that I can do on another one of the cables.
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I'm still lifting in a deficit so not much progress. I have resisted hooks and straps, hitting 405 with 5 sets of 1 then two sets of 5 at 315. 315's are now super easy compared to two months ago.
  • porffor
    Options

It will probably be better for the others who have more experience to weigh in here, but I would think it better to use dumbells that the cables to deadlift if you do not have barbells. I would also use dumbells for squats over a smith machine.

Re the weight on the cables - it is really hard to discern what the real weight is on those machines - a lot of it depends on how many times the pully goes up and around. I know the one we have at our gym - on one of the cables, I can only do half the weight on my tricep overhead extensions that I can do on another one of the cables.

Thanks :) Will go back to dumbbells then just work on upping the weight and strengthening my grip :) if i'm not too hot / sweaty it's not as bad. I am using them for tricep extensions but not nearly as heavy (I do brain crushers). When you squat with them would you hold them at the side rather than on shoulders? or put them up on my shoulders and hold there? just thinking of down force really if it'd be the same as the smith? I do walking lunges with them at my sides, but haven't done squats with them. Sorry for taking off topic.
  • tobnrn
    tobnrn Posts: 477 Member
    Options

Thanks :) Will go back to dumbbells then just work on upping the weight and strengthening my grip :) if i'm not too hot / sweaty it's not as bad. I am using them for tricep extensions but not nearly as heavy (I do brain crushers). When you squat with them would you hold them at the side rather than on shoulders? or put them up on my shoulders and hold there? just thinking of down force really if it'd be the same as the smith? I do walking lunges with them at my sides, but haven't done squats with them. Sorry for taking off topic.

Keep them at your side. I had a hard time with form with DB squats so watch that as well.
  • porffor
    Options

Keep them at your side. I had a hard time with form with DB squats so watch that as well.

Thanks! Will do! I do find the smiths restricts the 'bum out' part of it, and it seems to push my neck into the bar like I'm leaning on it so think this will be a better option. :)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

While having the DB at your sides simulates the balance of a back squat a bit more, I would also look into goblet squats where you use one dumbell in front of you.
  • porffor
    Options
    Cool thanks! :) off to you tube 'em! lol - edited to say this would cut out the worry over my grip for now - so great, thanks.
  • ChrisGoldn
    ChrisGoldn Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    While you still continue to work on your grip via farmer's walks etc.. There is no harm or shame to use straps with dumbbells for squatting or deadlifting... As it would far better help you getting the work in and making the muscles stronger. Then when you can use real barbells you can ditch the straps.
  • donkraft
    donkraft Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I do strong lifts as well. I agree. Deadlifts make you strong as hell. I cant believe I didnt realize this sooner but oh well.
  • LaurianRocks
    LaurianRocks Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Love/hate relationship with deadlifts. I can do 105lbs, (I weigh 135), and my legs KILL for the next few days - which seriously puts a damper on my running schedule. But yet, I do them once a week!:heart:
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    235x5 a few minutes ago and I came in the house and growled at the kids!

I didn't think #5 was going to go all the way up so I yelled at it and there it went. It's good I don't work out in a gym.

My iPod must have known what kind of workout it was going to be. It had Mastodon play Blood and Thunder during my warm-up sets and then Pantera started playing By Demons Be Driven as I was putting the weights on for the working set.

I'm still really pumped so this whole post should be read really freakin fast for full effect.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

I didn't think #5 was going to go all the way up so I yelled at it and there it went. It's good I don't work out in a gym.

My iPod must have known what kind of workout it was going to be. It had Mastodon play Blood and Thunder during my warm-up sets and then Pantera started playing By Demons Be Driven as I was putting the weights on for the working set.

I'm still really pumped so this whole post should be read really freakin fast for full effect.

That is excellent (the lifts, not necessarily the growling - but heh, who can blame you) - I need to remember the yelling for my next time. Hopefully I am as intimidating at it so they pay attention :wink:
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options

Your kids should've hit the lunk-alarm. LOL. j/k, nice job man.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Thanks, y'all.

The kids got a kick out of the growling. I have to watch my mouth with the yelling at the bar if they're here while I'm lifting. We're fixin to move into a regular neighborhood where we'll have neighbors so I need to get the yelling and roaring out of my system in the next week or so.

I definitely think yelling at the weights makes a difference.