Why do people not allow the "under 1200" friend requests

Options

Replies

• Leeanne1974
    Leeanne1974 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Thank you for those links, I will be looking at those later and will see if there is anything that might help x

What I must point out, I was always a bit heavy but not fat until I lost both of my parents in a short space of time (2 years and 3 days). I emotionally ate and really really ballooned. It is only the last week that I have been eating about 900 a day out of desperation, I tried upping cals from 1200 and it didn't shift my plateau at all. I just literally lost a pound then gained 4 the next week then lost them all and then put on a pound etc.
    I'm a big girl weight wise and it has got me down but getting the weight off (I also lost 5lb on the first week of dieting prior to joining here - i know it was water weight and that big loss most of us get in our first week) slowly was fine as long as i was losing even half a pound a week. It didn't bother me that I was losing slowly because I was still getting there slowly but surely. But eating 1200-1300 a day and not losing anything for 2 months was so depressing and disheartening.
    I would never, ever say to anyone "Just cut your cals by half it worked for me" or anything like that but I am just wondering if this is the calories I need to consume to lose. Everyone is different. Its not like I am 110lb or anything, i'm still big.
    I never comment on someone completing their diary and being under their cals unless their diary is viewable and I always view before commenting.

Oh and as for the comment about "everyone who eats less than 1200 is all about drama" what crap! I am just a normal woman who is 38 years old that wants to lose weight so that I don't die of heart disease in 20 years time. I don't moan on my wall on here. I have a friend on here (who I am going to unfriend) who constantly agonises about how she wants to go out for a meal but can't and she always has her 1200 minimum a day. Yet I have another friend (the one on a liquid 600 cals a day diet) who said last "My friend asked if I wanted to go out for a drink but at the moment I am sticking to this so did my fitness DVD instead :)". She is on low cal and never moans or whinges at all!
  • adorable_aly
    adorable_aly Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of you're concern, but I think I'll stick with the professional opinions I've been given!

xx

My point is a health professional with a good head on their shoulders would never tell a healthy individual to eat 1200 calories for the rest of their life, they would have to have some sort of disorder or disease. Like I said and many other people said in this post there are many reasons why people may need to limit their intake, and like many others like I have said, we still add people like that to our list, we just ignore the ignorant.

Again since you don't know anything about my personal circumstances or my health I will stick to the professional opinions that have been given to me, since they have access to all of the information they could possibly need to advise me on diet and exercise.

xx
  • rose_mortem
    rose_mortem Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I do have a few ED friends, but they're making an effort to get healthy and lose weight properly, and I support their recoveries
  • Bonny619
    Bonny619 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I don't know about WELL above 1200. Mine is 1290, but like I said earlier...I do often eat above that.

But out of curiosity I plugged in my goal weight of 120 and my BMR is 1170. So then it will be ok for me to eat 1200 by your standards? Then I can be friend worthy.
  • ShelleyD1960
    Options
    I am trying to lose weight for my health and to be here for my future grandbabies if i ever have them. Eating under 1200 calories is unhealthy allthough if you asked to be my friend i would still friend you. This problem i have with over eating not under eating is just as dangerous. I hope you will get the help you need to see how unhealthy under eating can be. I am 2 years free of smoking too. ON MY WAY TO A HEALTHER LIFE
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Thank you for those links, I will be looking at those later and will see if there is anything that might help x

What I must point out, I was always a bit heavy but not fat until I lost both of my parents in a short space of time (2 years and 3 days). I emotionally ate and really really ballooned. It is only the last week that I have been eating about 900 a day out of desperation, I tried upping cals from 1200 and it didn't shift my plateau at all. I just literally lost a pound then gained 4 the next week then lost them all and then put on a pound etc.
    I'm a big girl weight wise and it has got me down but getting the weight off (I also lost 5lb on the first week of dieting prior to joining here - i know it was water weight and that big loss most of us get in our first week) slowly was fine as long as i was losing even half a pound a week. It didn't bother me that I was losing slowly because I was still getting there slowly but surely. But eating 1200-1300 a day and not losing anything for 2 months was so depressing and disheartening.
    I would never, ever say to anyone "Just cut your cals by half it worked for me" or anything like that but I am just wondering if this is the calories I need to consume to lose. Everyone is different. Its not like I am 110lb or anything, i'm still big.
    I never comment on someone completing their diary and being under their cals unless their diary is viewable and I always view before commenting.

Oh and as for the comment about "everyone who eats less than 1200 is all about drama" what crap! I am just a normal woman who is 38 years old that wants to lose weight so that I don't die of heart disease in 20 years time. I don't moan on my wall on here. I have a friend on here (who I am going to unfriend) who constantly agonises about how she wants to go out for a meal but can't and she always has her 1200 minimum a day. Yet I have another friend (the one on a liquid 600 cals a day diet) who said last "My friend asked if I wanted to go out for a drink but at the moment I am sticking to this so did my fitness DVD instead :)". She is on low cal and never moans or whinges at all!
    It's very very common to stall on low calories and go up when you begin eating. You deplete your glycogen stores (a form of energy) and your body gets very excited when you give it enough to make liquid energy again...and that weighs weight. Most people I know who hit plateaus break it by hitting maintenance for about 6 weeks and doing a cut. They will whine and moan and be sad that they're gaining (water) weight and then a few weeks after the 6 weeks are up they shut up because they lost that and more :tongue: You can't really tell if you're consistently losing weight week to week it's more of a month to month thing since our bodys can fluctuate with water. And sometimes the water is needed and is a good thing and helps us repair muscles and feed organs the energy they need to be healthy.

If you decide to go that route keep in mind that since you have pcos your tdee is going to be lower then estimated so you probably shouldn't eat up that much. Especially since you've been eating little. Your weight should level out before that time is out if you're guessing your TDEE right, it'll go up quick, but it well level out. But if you're anything like my friend it will still be above BMR. There's many who have been in the same boat as you and it's worked for them. There's a reason all those articles are out there on pcos saying stay away from low cal diets :) Unfortunately a lot of people don't know much about it and there doesn't seem to be a large amount of studies done on different diets for PCOS. I know I've seen several people mention they have metabolism problems including thyroid or PCOS and had success with eating more, I'm just not sure how active they are on the forums. You may want to join the eat more to weigh less group and ask if anyone is in a similar situation. One thing I do know though is exercise is mentioned as important on mostly all of the pcos sites. Just don't overdo it and make sure you're doing something to work on your strength.
  • Guines9
    Guines9 Posts: 137
    Options
    DUDE, DO YOUR OWN THING AND SET IT AS YOUR OWN GOAL. My dietician says it is safe to consume 1200 Cals.

This game is about consumring less Cals and burning more cals to lose weight, not maintain it. Bottom line for me and my professional dietician is eat less cal totals to lose weight. I can not exercise like most since there seems to be a lung problem, but i do what i can which is not even a fraction of what you do and can do. So i have to rely on the chanllenges of easing less to reduce my weight over all.

I use to live near Frankfort and i am proud of my German past and upbriging. :drinker:
  • CoderGal
    Options
    I don't know about WELL above 1200. Mine is 1290, but like I said earlier...I do often eat above that.

But out of curiosity I plugged in my goal weight of 120 and my BMR is 1170. So then it will be ok for me to eat 1200 by your standards? Then I can be friend worthy.
    To give you an idea of how much you should be able to eventually eat once your metabolism is back to normal my bmr is 1303, only 133 above yours. Lately I've been eating about 2000-3000 cals a day. Yes, I exercise currently.

I suggest since you're short and you want to be thin you do it the healthy way and add a bit of exercise...this is why I started...because I wanted to be fairly thin. Even if you did light exercise or moved around a bit at work you should be able to get there on hundreds more then that...and it's definitely recommended for the sake of getting enough fats to absorb nutrients from all the veg you should be eating and getting enough protein to support your LBM so you don't dwindle away to a mushy thing. I use to be sedentary and even then I was netting 1700...Because of the way I had things set up I'd even log groceries as a walk and eat those back and manage to lose.
  • Leeanne1974
    Leeanne1974 Posts: 207 Member
    Options

It's very very common to stall on low calories and go up when you begin eating. You deplete your glycogen stores (a form of energy) and your body gets very excited when you give it enough to make liquid energy again...and that weighs weight. Most people I know who hit plateaus break it by hitting maintenance for about 6 weeks and doing a cut. They will whine and moan and be sad that they're gaining (water) weight and then a few weeks after the 6 weeks are up they shut up because they lost that and more :tongue: You can't really tell if you're consistently losing weight week to week it's more of a month to month thing since our bodys can fluctuate with water. And sometimes the water is needed and is a good thing and helps us repair muscles and feed organs the energy they need to be healthy.

If you decide to go that route keep in mind that since you have pcos your tdee is going to be lower then estimated so you probably shouldn't eat up that much. Especially since you've been eating little. Your weight should level out before that time is out if you're guessing your TDEE right, it'll go up quick, but it well level out. But if you're anything like my friend it will still be above BMR. There's many who have been in the same boat as you and it's worked for them. There's a reason all those articles are out there on pcos saying stay away from low cal diets :) Unfortunately a lot of people don't know much about it and there doesn't seem to be a large amount of studies done on different diets for PCOS. I know I've seen several people mention they have metabolism problems including thyroid or PCOS and had success with eating more, I'm just not sure how active they are on the forums. You may want to join the eat more to weigh less group and ask if anyone is in a similar situation. One thing I do know though is exercise is mentioned as important on mostly all of the pcos sites. Just don't overdo it and make sure you're doing something to work on your strength.

You are a darling and just full of amazing advice. I also think you are right.

I am going to stick to this for this weekend and then from Monday I will go back up. Going to have a good look at your links and research a bit today and tomorrow so that I can eat the right foods to help and to get my cals back up.

Thank you, you have provided some really amazing ideas and advice without judging me or making snidey comments. Thank you again xx
  • Bonny619
    Bonny619 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I hike...and I'm currently doing 30 Day Shred. I do exercise, just not crazy. And I often eat in the 1400-1500 calorie range.

I'm good.

I'm just advocating that 1200 is a very arbitrary number and not everyone who is eating it is having issues.
  • Shayztar
    Shayztar Posts: 415 Member
    Options

Like I said earlier, eating 1200 because a woman is very petite and looking to lose some vanity weight, yes, that can be one way to lose weight without sacrificing too much lean muscle mass. That, and people who are obese and have lots of weight to lose and under doctor's care eat that way for a short period of time.

But eating at BMR for the rest of a person's life is not the way to go either. BMR is what is needed to run organs and brain function if in a coma. TDEE on top of BMR is what is needed to not gain or lose weight. You need to eat at your TDEE when you get to goal weight. Just saying.
  • CoderGal
    Options
    I hike...and I'm currently doing 30 Day Shred. I do exercise, just not crazy. And I often eat in the 1400-1500 calorie range.

I'm good.

I'm just advocating that 1200 is a very arbitrary number and not everyone who is eating it is having issues.
    Yes, very arbitrary, and I wasn't having issues on it either, at first. And neither was my sister, at first. It only add people who realize that the 1200 cal number is not a health choice.
  • CoderGal
    Options

Like I said earlier, eating 1200 because a woman is very petite and looking to lose some vanity weight, yes, that can be one way to lose weight without sacrificing too much lean muscle mass. That, and people who are obese and have lots of weight to lose and under doctor's care eat that way for a short period of time.

But eating at BMR for the rest of a person's life is not the way to go either. BMR is what is needed to run organs and brain function if in a coma. TDEE on top of BMR is what is needed to not gain or lose weight. You need to eat at your TDEE when you get to goal weight. Just saying.
    And your goal weight should be a healthy one you can support at your activity level. I don't think it's a good idea to be stick thin if you're not willing to eat a healthy number. I'm teetering on underweight and made decision that I wanted to keep that but I didn't want to keep it sitting at a desk all day (office job), because it wasn't healthy. If you can maintain that while eating a healthy amount of nutrient rich foods that is near the minimum calorie suggestion for an average women, then go you!
  • CoderGal
    Options

You are a darling and just full of amazing advice. I also think you are right.

I am going to stick to this for this weekend and then from Monday I will go back up. Going to have a good look at your links and research a bit today and tomorrow so that I can eat the right foods to help and to get my cals back up.

Thank you, you have provided some really amazing ideas and advice without judging me or making snidey comments. Thank you again xx
    Aww thanks you're sweet. See this is the reason why it's sometimes worth saying something on these threads despite the backlash. Feel free to add me and I can nag you with documentation haha. Every now and then I read into the pcos stuff for my friends sake. I've read way to much google scholar documents on it for someone who doesn't have it trying to talk my friend out of being upset haha. Just keep in mind that not everyone is right, even studies have their scope. It's quite a depressing situation sometimes, and it doesn't have to be :)
  • lifescircle
    Options

To add to my last bullet - no, I do not follow them around to verify what they do. But I have a real hard time seeing how someone can eat 0.32 tbsp of peanut butter on a piece of bread for breakfast, and at the end of the day, they have hit 1200 ON THE BUTTON. Also, I see "So and so burned 1056 calories in 60 minutes doing Circuit Training General". BS alert. Just eat more and be honest!

LOL... this cracked me up... and it is oh so true. Although, I guess if your average heart rate for 60 minutes is around 170, you'd certainly burn a ton of calories. (not to say that it applies to any friends on my list :wink:

(this thread has gotten so off topic)
  • suzieqcookie
    suzieqcookie Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    i have deleted friends when they consistently eat under 1000 every day. As a former anorexic, getting attention of any kind only fuels it. I want no part of that. Anorexics, i feel, need intervention of the mental health kind. Not that obese people don't, but i can tell you having been on both sides of the scale, being obese and gaining healthy habits is alot easier than being anorexic and and forcing yourself to eat again.
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I'm so tired of the 1200 calorie bashing. I'm BARELY 5'0, which really means 4'11 3/4. I don't need as many calories as a woman who is 5'6.

I eat regular meals...I often eat more than 1200 but I definitely have my days where I'm in the 1100-1200 calorie range. Again, I don't NEED as many calories as a lot of people.

I'm barely 5'2 with a bmr of only 1280 and I eat1550-1750 to lose. If you read back through the thread you will see there are many short ladies eating plenty of calories and still losing.

Being short doesn't have to mean eating ultra low calories.

I agree with you here too. I'm 5'2 and I eat 1300 calories, well, net 1300. I don't understand why people would think height has anything to do with it lol
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    I don't have anything to add that CoderGal hasn't said already, I'm just bumping to keep up.
  • wjimenez10869
    Options
    To each their own on what to put up as restrictions to friendship or support. I find it hard not to see it kind of rude though. Some just ask that you send a message why you want to be their friends which makes sense. Was it something I said? My picture? Goals? What? I equate it to how you make friends face to face. Sometimes you just need to hear one thing out of the person's mouth to know it's not going to work. If you had a sign on your forehead saying f$*k off to a segment of the population I guess you would accomplish the same thing.
  • Scrute11
    Scrute11 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Because everyone can choose on their own who to allow and not allow to be their "friends".

I didn't read all the pages (but I read a lot of them) and this has been the best reply I've seen. I'm not going to be friends with everyone IRL, and I certainly wouldn't be offended if there are people here who don't want to be my friend.

How you select your friends, is none of my business, nor is it any of yours how I select mine.