Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Still the only macronutrient that is optional...bolt.gif

unless you're an endurance athlete......:huh:
    This.
  • jaymek92
    jaymek92 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Really you eat pasta or bread with absolutely nothing on it?
    Yes, actually. Sometimes, I do.
    I prefer my pastas with minimal sauce or butter. Just enough that it's not sticking together in a giant glob (I have a thing about textures), but if my options are glob or more sauce/butter than i prefer, than glob it is!
    If I'm hungry and feeling lazy, I'll eat straight up bread. If I'm feeling adventurous, I'll slap some peanut butter on there to get some fats and proteins.
    Before I ran my half marathon, I ate two bowls of plain pasta the night before and a naked bagel the morning of. Why? Because carbs are f*cking delicious, that's why.

Also, if I didn't eat carbs, I wouldn't be able to enjoy the chocolate chip cookie dough cupcake I just ate.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    [random incorrect statement about insulin here]

Yay!
  • yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Options

For cats...
  • Sasssy69
    Sasssy69 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    *looks at ticker*

Riiiiiiiiiight. Whatever makes you feel better!

She obviously didn't start out need to lose as much as some people on here. And seeing as she's halfway there, she just might be okay eating a carb here and there...

Very good point! Not all of us get so overweight that we need to lose 100 lbs or more to get back to healthy weight. Guess that gives you a little more freedom to eat more diversely. Plus it makes you less grumpy do you don't do nasty call outs on other people ticker in a smug self-rightous way.

I actually took this as HER pointing to her OWN ticker, not anyone else's. As in, "Right, looks at own ticker and sees success in losing weight by cutting carbs." But that's just me.

I have decided to cut my carbs to no more than 100 grams a day and making sure the ones I do get are GOOD. So far, it's working okay. Can't say I feel a whole lot better, or that I've lost anything. I figure I'll give it a bit more time. I did have a really bad headache for four solid days. It's a little better now. But no carbs? No way. I like a little bun on my burger.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    Do they really taste good? Or is the stuff you put on them. Really you eat pasta or bread with absolutely nothing on it? Nope, likely not. But man I can sure grab a hunk of bacon and chow down.

Carbs in veggies and fruits are great and needed. Crap carbs in grains, sugars, etc. are certainly not needed nor or the healthy for the growing majority with insulin issues.

I eat pasta. breads, bagels plain. Maybe a small touch of salt on the pasta- or steamed veggies- but the pasta part makes the veggies yummier.

yes, somtimes I add a little something, but I like as they are.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I was just about to post about if eating carbs after a workout is a good idea....Now, I changed mind. Calm it down folks..:wink:

Depends on the workout- endurance you need to replace glucose asap. Strength- some carbs help start the muscle synthesis process, so some carbs are a good idea with protein. Milk is a good balance. :wink:

I know there will be a response about feeding windows after workout, blah blah blah. So, it doesn't need to be RIGHT after a workout. I personally LIKE to have a PWO snack though.
  • Sarah_Wins
    Sarah_Wins Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    *looks at ticker*

She obviously didn't start out need to lose as much as some people on here. And seeing as she's halfway there, she just might be okay eating a carb here and there...

Very good point! Not all of us get so overweight that we need to lose 100 lbs or more to get back to healthy weight. Guess that gives you a little more freedom to eat more diversely. Plus it makes you less grumpy do you don't do nasty call outs on other people ticker in a smug self-rightous way.

I was looking at *MY* ticker! LoL
  • hsh0927
    hsh0927 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I was just about to post about if eating carbs after a workout is a good idea....Now, I changed mind. Calm it down folks..:wink:

Depends on the workout- endurance you need to replace glucose asap. Strength- some carbs help start the muscle synthesis process, so some carbs are a good idea with protein. Milk is a good balance. :wink:

I know there will be a response about feeding windows after workout, blah blah blah. So, it doesn't need to be RIGHT after a workout. I personally LIKE to have a PWO snack though.

Thanks! Simply put, exactly what I was looking for :happy:
  • Sasssy69
    Sasssy69 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    *looks at ticker*

Yep. That's what I thought. Made sense to me. :drinker:
  • erikarain3
    Options
    agree completly
  • remisenforme
    remisenforme Posts: 180 Member
    Options

Stupid question probably-- what counts as endurance? Is this cardio vs strength or is there a certain level of effort or time required to count as endurance? Still new to this whole 'eating right' thing ;)
  • marie_cressman
    marie_cressman Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    3. See reason one.
    4. See reason two.
    5. See reason three.
    6. See reason four.
    7. See reason five.
    8. See reason six.
    9. See reason seven.
    10. See reason eight.

Don't make me keep typing!!!!

YES! mac n cheese for dinner anyone??? :D LOL
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Edited after reading snark in my orginal reply and I cannot be bothered to reword.

OP: I agree!

ETA: oh dear, too late, someone quoted me,
  • marie_cressman
    marie_cressman Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    *looks at ticker*

So, back to your response. There are many many people on here with greater losses than you that enjoy and eat carbs.

ETA: the loss on someones ticker is not necessarily indicative of the efficacy of one 'diet' that restricts certain foods over another.

I haven't personally restricted anything yet (other than soda because i decided i'd rather eat my calories than drink them... LOL). I see the nutritionist at the hospital this week... she might make me restrict something.... i'll update after the appointment. haha she will probably tell me "NO MAC N CHEESE!" then i'll be sad. :(
  • athensguy
    athensguy Posts: 550
    Options
    Don't know that I can come up with 101 reasons, but today I had an estimated 2281 calories worth of carbs. Yesterday it was 2661.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options

unless you're an athlete......:huh:

Fixed :smile:

Have been into endurance training in the past and more so about strength training these days. Have done low carb during both types of training. Definitely beneficial for both!

One of my friends recently posted a status about fats not making her feel full and I feel the same way. P+C fills me up much more than P+F. I often wonder how the mega low carbers ever feel full.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure I've heard of several endurance athletes who are VLC.

Not that I'm a big LC proponent. My diet is sorta LC (usually <150g), but not because I believe that is the holy grail of dietary nirvana. It just happens to be how my macros play out on most days.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure I've heard of several endurance athletes who are VLC.

Not that I'm a big LC proponent. My diet is sorta LC (usually <150g), but not because I believe that is the holy grail of dietary nirvana. It just happens to be how my macros play out on most days.

My cousin has a friend who runs a lot and does low carb. Except for soft pretzels.
  • ipag
    ipag Posts: 137
    Options
    Here are a couple athletes who are pretty successful on a paleo, primal or a whole foods low carb diet and corresponding links as proof.

Apolo Ohno http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/20/sports/olympics/20ohno.html?_r=2

Aaron Rodgers http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2010/columns/story?id=6076694
    Doesn't actually say he is but he's been spotted with a paleo book.

Novak Djokovic http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703509104576327624238594818.html

John Welbourn http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?id=5021601
    In this article he states a bunch of the New England Patriots were Paleo as well but didn't provide names.

Christian Vande Velde http://archive.mensjournal.com/winning-without-wheat

Grant Hill and Steve Nash http://www.azcentral.com/members/Blog/DanBickley/129699

I expect to be torn apart for posting this but I don't care.