Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• janak2004
    janak2004 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Sunday Share:

Had a bit of a mental breakdown yesterday, non-weight related, and had to take a day for me. I guess you don't realize that when you lose somebody, that sometimes that hurt still pops up and can strangle hold you, but it can. I wrote a blog about it and I feel better now, I'm just hoping that I can put my thoughts into actions and get to moving towards my goal of getting "our" book completed and published...one day...but for now I'll settle for taking the audio files and moving them off my computer onto an external harddrive so I don't have to go through what I went through yesterday until I'm sure I'm ready.

For the newbies, I'm Jana. I'm 26. When I started I had 120lbs to lose, that number is now only 107. I am currently training for my first 5K, which takes place in two weeks. I'm nervous, but am certain that I can complete it, even if I have to walk some. Today for my C25K training I have to run for 25 mins. I didn't make the 20 mins the first time, but I'm hoping to blow this out of the water. We shall see how that goes.

Around 5th grade is when I started even noticing my weight. I had a PE teacher weigh me after we returned for summer break and I had gained 3lbs...even though I ate healthy and was ALWAYS active...and made the comment "God Jana, you are getting fat." I was 8 and it really hurt my feelings. I started to become worried about my weight, but my parents convinced me it was just getting me ready for a growth spurt, which is truly what it was.

I was never really heavy until middle school, don't get me wrong, I was bigger than all the other kids because I come from a big family (my dad is 6'8", my mom is 5'11" and my sister is 6'2"...and I'm down here at 5'9") but the issue didn't really start until then. That's when we were allowed to buy from the canteen instead of eating regular lunch. If you had tasted our cafeteria's food, you would understand. My friend Heather and I shared a large nacho and a coke for lunch everyday and then would either have a candy bar or an icecream bar. That's when the pounds packed on. I gained 10lbs that year.

In 8th grade, after I had gained right around 30lbs I went on the Atkins diet in preparation for HS. I didn't want to be "FAT" when I went. I managed to drop 40lbs and was looking pretty good. I kept it off until my 10th grade year when I started going out with friends more often and because of band was eating junk instead of focusing on healthy choices. By senior year I had gained all of my lost weight plus 20 more. I was not happy.

When I started college, I didn't know anybody. I went to a college out of state because I needed a change. (Mississippi University for Women) It was one of the best choices I had ever made. My freshman year they had a weight loss program called Shape Up to Ship Out where the winning team could win a cruise. My partner and I came in second because we lost a total of 42lbs in the 3 month program. We were beat by another team by 3lbs.

By the time I graduated college and moved out on my own, I was at my heaviest weight. My boyfriend was sweet about it (we've been dating since my junior year of college) and said it didn't bother him and that he didn't care if was big or not. But I really started to get miserable when I would go out with our skinny friends and not be able to shop. I finally decided to do something about it, but like most other times, I gave up after a few months. It was just too hard.

I found MFP in January of this year and like all things I started out with the best of intentions. But after Mardi Gras, I stopped going to the gym and stopped working out. I didn't want to hear "I told you so" so I lied to my family and said I was still going strong, but I wasn't. It wasn't until I took a cross country road trip with my friend this summer that I made the decision that it was time to lose the weight! Now I'm on a healthy path, I work out, and I have a supportive group of friends here that are keeping me honest. :)

I'm so thankful for the way my life turned out...even with all the ups and downs...because it led me here and I know that with the support of the people on MFP, I can do anything. :)

I hope everyone has a fabulous Sunday and I apologize for taking up so much room. I promise to be brief next Sunday.
  • monarchris
    monarchris Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Sunday Share - I live in the Midwest----60 years old and on the perilous slope to 61 next month (eeeeck). Been looking after my elderly father for a number of years and ignoring myself altogether and I'm trying to focus on me now while still handling everything for him. In just the last several days he's insisting he needs another trip to the audiologist (really, we end up going there about once a month), his phone isn't working properly, he fell in the laundry room of the Assisted Living facility, forgot to set his alarm clock which made him *not perfect* for the day, etc., etc. etc. I don't know how to communicate the immensity of his demands. It's difficult to live my life.

Well, nothing like putting your guts out there on a plate for the whole world to see. Ha. There are no takebacks........

Anyway, I'm trying my hardest to get down to a reasonable BMI before my next doctor's appointment. (Note I did not say normal BMI as I am really not delusional). I'm glad to have found some great folks on MFP.

Later folks. Things to do, places to go, water to drink.

Lin
    :drinker:

Lin, that's what we are here for, better you have an outlet for your frustration than eat it!!! For all you do I salute you.:flowerforyou:
  • CathEsh
    CathEsh Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    @linder ~ Taking care of a parent is VERY stressful. I took care of my mother in our home for 5 years then she moved to assisted living for one year then had to go to a nursing home her final two years. I used to visit her in the nursing home every other day. She had a stroke and couldn't communicate well, but she could listen. I would tell her all about my stressful days. She would nod her head and say, "Oh, dear." I know it's tough, but love him while you can. One evening before Thanksgiving break (2010), I went to visit her. She was much more despondent than normal. Didn't talk at all. Just stared at me intently (drooled some) as I chatted away. When I got up and turned to leave, she reached out, grabbed my hand, and as plain as day said, "I...love...you!" I told her, "I love you, too, Mom." Then we went out-of-state for Thanksgiving break, and she took a turn for the worst. We made it back just in time to say our goodbyes (though she was in a catatonic state). We sang one of my mom's favorite songs at church today, and I bawled like a baby. I guess that's my Sunday share.

@robin ~ maybe it will work out that you can keep it? I wish I would buy like my husband. He thinks about it for about 2 weeks then when he decides to buy, it is sometimes gone, sometimes not. I'm rather impulsive when it comes to buying.

@vidvox ~ my daugher (22 years old) geocaches all the time. She loves it!

@janak ~ what you said about the hurt when losing someone can pop up and strangle you...so true. ((hugs))

I am feeling pretty good today about my weight loss efforts. I am finally out of the 240 club and on to working my way out of the the 230 club I'll hop on that bike now. After that, grade papers (ugh!) then start on that grad class homework. Have a good week! Good luck to us!
  • bellawares
    bellawares Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Sunday Share - I live in the Midwest----60 years old and on the perilous slope to 61 next month (eeeeck). Been looking after my elderly father for a number of years and ignoring myself altogether and I'm trying to focus on me now while still handling everything for him. In just the last several days he's insisting he needs another trip to the audiologist (really, we end up going there about once a month), his phone isn't working properly, he fell in the laundry room of the Assisted Living facility, forgot to set his alarm clock which made him *not perfect* for the day, etc., etc. etc. I don't know how to communicate the immensity of his demands. It's difficult to live my life.

Well, nothing like putting your guts out there on a plate for the whole world to see. Ha. There are no takebacks........

@linder4866 - I totally understand how you feel. My life mirrors yours . . . YES it's very difficult to live this life.

Sunday Share :flowerforyou:

I haven't been posting much lately and feel bad about not being able to participate in this group like I used to :blushing: . I miss being a part of this group but the time I have for my self is very limited so I thought I would take a few minutes and share a little about what is going on in my life right now. Hopefully I will be able to get back to posting on a regular basis soon.

Here goes nothing . . .

I live in the Midwest . . . 52 year old female with 2 cats. I own a 2 bedroom condo that borders a breathtaking Nature Conservancy (my little slice of heaven :love: ). I was going to the gym 4 days a week working with a personal trainer and trying to get my self back to walking my trails on a daily basis when my life changed August 6, 2012. My 84 year old mother broke her femur bone in her right leg. It turns out she has bone cancer which was the cause of the break. My mother was caring for my 50 year old sister who has MS prior to her hospitalization so now I am the sole care giver for my sister and my mother. My mother was moved into a rehab facility and the doctors are hopeful that she may be able to walk with a walker. It could be a year before she is able to walk on her own again. I have not officially talked to her cancer doctor yet but from what her other doctors are telling my the cancer looks to be in advanced stages. So who knows what will need to be done about the cancer. Right now the doctors are concentrating on her leg healing properly.

My sister has been a total nightmare. Up until 2 days ago she was refusing to leave my mother's 5 bedroom home. She was insisting that she could care for her self which was NOT working. She has become verbally and physically aggressive towards me every time I would try to help her. My mother and brother (brother helps with nothing :grumble: ) finally convinced her to move in with me. I'm not crazy about moving her and her cat in with me but I see no other solution. At least I will be able to get a handle on all of her and my mother's doctor appointments which will relieve a lot of stress. The gym we both belong to is across the street from me so I don't have to worry about getting her to and from her swimming class.

In a nut shell I'm trying my best to care for my mother, sister, 3 cats, my condo, and my mother's 5 bedroom home. At least I don't have to try and juggle all of this around a full time job. Despite everything going on in my life right now I'm still trying to get some exercise in during the week. Exercising has always been my stress reliever . . .

Off to clean out my second bedroom . . . .
  • nicholsvj
    nicholsvj Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    @Skinnyjeanz - to a doctor, your sodium levels are statistically the exact same number. They're not going down. They are staying the same (right where they should be). Odds are that you were a little dehydrated when it was "higher", but now that you drink so much water and are so active, its "come down" a little bit. Don't think of your sodium levels as how much you eat in your diet, think of it as how much water do you have in your body. the more water, the more "dilute" all electrolytes will be. The less water, the more concentrated. The actual numbers are all the same, but they just seem higher/lower based on their concentration in water.

Sorry to get all high school chemistry on you, but that's how we think of those numbers :)
  • naceto
    naceto Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone! I hope your weekend is going fantastically amazing! :happy:

Sunday share for me--- I am Nicole, 39 years old, and I live in Washington State. I have always been "chubby", but really started to pile on the weight with my pregnancy with my son. I gained 80 pounds with pregnancy, even though I was incredibly sick most of the time. I ate ice cream and peanut butter toast, as it was the only thing that would stay down. After Anthony was born, I was at about 250lbs. I did lose a bit of weight when the kiddo was a toddler.. I remember being 201 and thinking how awesome I would feel once I got under 200... then I was hospitalized for my first hip trouble. For a few years, I was dependent upon my pain meds, just to get me out of bed. I was anxious and depressed and hospitalized for that a couple of times. I had a lot of other "stuff" going on during that period, which gave me more excuses to protect myself with the fat, even after they figured out the problem with the hip and treated it properly.

In 2010, when my husband passed away, I had just started working out again and eating healthy. I was going to the gym regularly, and my diet wasn't great, but it was improving. Although we were separated awhile before he passed, my kiddo's dad was the love of my life and the one person who seemed to truly believe that I could do anything and be anyone that I wanted to be. When he was gone, in my mind, there was no longer anyone who had that faith in me (including myself). I wasn't even sure I deserved for someone to believe in me. I was wrong. I know that now. I was around 270 then... There is a great picture of me chowing on a cheeto in my profile, that pretty much sums it up.

I was given all sorts of advice, which I saw as judgement. I ignored most of it. I searched for someone who would believe in me the way Simon did, and found emptiness. I binged on food, alcohol at times, and stuck my head into books and Facebook games. There is all sorts of motivation for living a healthy lifestyle; primarily having to do with my son. What gave me the idea that I can believe in myself was my kiddo. He convinced me that I should go back to school. I took one class and got an A. From that, I realized that I am capable of change and success. In an effort to save you from too much eye strain from reading... I realized that I can change my thinking, which means I can change my habits. I found that I am strong and that I DO have self control. I decided that I am worth believing in, but first I must believe in myself.

So I push myself to stretch my limits, make healthy choices, give myself the knowledge that is needed to succeed, and I share the knowledge with my kid. I will teach him that believing in yourself is a stepping stone to accomplishing everything you desire.

“Strength doesn’t come from what you can do. It comes from OVERCOMING the things you once thought you couldn’t.” ~Rikki Rogers
  • monarchris
    monarchris Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Andrea, you are a wonderful sister/auntie!!!:flowerforyou: Fixing healthy meals for all 3 of the kids is the answer and not focusing on your nephew is the key. Also involving them all in activities away from the video games

Welcome to the newbies. Be sure to read Robin's note at beginning of thread as we have topics for each day but those are guidelines only and you can share what you need to share here. It is a loving, supportive, motivational place that is safe and non-judgmental.

Sunday share - I am really enjoying the cloudy, rainy day we are having, it has been soooo long since we have had one. It did cut my walk short this morning and I enjoyed walking in the mist until it became a steady rain. I am enjoying all the different foods I am eating now and trying new recipes. I made a great tofu stir-fry last week and even the left overs were good. This week I am going to make Quinoa for the first time and looking forward to it. Had a nice surprise as my oldest son who was in the middle east for 9 months and is back in Texas called me and we talked for 45 minutes. It was great, he will be stationed at Ft. Riley, KS which is only 90 miles from me until he taken off active duty. He thinks he will be back in KS sometime next week so I am looking forward to seeing him.

Blessings to all.

Christine
  • tootsanderson
    tootsanderson Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options

@linder4866 - I totally understand how you feel. My life mirrors yours . . . YES it's very difficult to live this life.

Sunday Share :flowerforyou:

I haven't been posting much lately and feel bad about not being able to participate in this group like I used to :blushing: . I miss being a part of this group but the time I have for my self is very limited so I thought I would take a few minutes and share a little about what is going on in my life right now. Hopefully I will be able to get back to posting on a regular basis soon.

Here goes nothing . . .

I live in the Midwest . . . 52 year old female with 2 cats. I own a 2 bedroom condo that borders a breathtaking Nature Conservancy (my little slice of heaven :love: ). I was going to the gym 4 days a week working with a personal trainer and trying to get my self back to walking my trails on a daily basis when my life changed August 6, 2012. My 84 year old mother broke her femur bone in her right leg. It turns out she has bone cancer which was the cause of the break. My mother was caring for my 50 year old sister who has MS prior to her hospitalization so now I am the sole care giver for my sister and my mother. My mother was moved into a rehab facility and the doctors are hopeful that she may be able to walk with a walker. It could be a year before she is able to walk on her own again. I have not officially talked to her cancer doctor yet but from what her other doctors are telling my the cancer looks to be in advanced stages. So who knows what will need to be done about the cancer. Right now the doctors are concentrating on her leg healing properly.

My sister has been a total nightmare. Up until 2 days ago she was refusing to leave my mother's 5 bedroom home. She was insisting that she could care for her self which was NOT working. She has become verbally and physically aggressive towards me every time I would try to help her. My mother and brother (brother helps with nothing :grumble: ) finally convinced her to move in with me. I'm not crazy about moving her and her cat in with me but I see no other solution. At least I will be able to get a handle on all of her and my mother's doctor appointments which will relieve a lot of stress. The gym we both belong to is across the street from me so I don't have to worry about getting her to and from her swimming class.

In a nut shell I'm trying my best to care for my mother, sister, 3 cats, my condo, and my mother's 5 bedroom home. At least I don't have to try and juggle all of this around a full time job. Despite everything going on in my life right now I'm still trying to get some exercise in during the week. Exercising has always been my stress reliever . . .

Off to clean out my second bedroom . . . .

yikes. your life seems so stressful right now and i'm sure you don't empirically mind but still there's probably some days where you're like WTH. you're a good sister and daughter.
  • tootsanderson
    Options
    @ toots, thats some of what we discussed last night. My sister has 4 kids, and until this coming year the three school age were all in different schools. With them all in one school now, she can get on a good schedule and get the family into a routine. I told her she really has to cook - they get takeout or eat out almost every night. Without cooking she really can't control what he's eating.

The two younger siblings - we wont count the four month old =) - are picky eaters like I've never seen, and tall skinny toothpicks whose bones stick out. So she's trying to control what one of them eats, while the other two have to be dragged to the table. My advice to her was, they'll eat when they are hungry. Have healthy food available, and focus on Nicholas' diet. Eating healthy can't possibly be bad for them. I told her we will work on a good schedule and stuff together, since I'm there almost every day, and that none of us has to do this alone.

totally a great idea because sometimes the skinny ones are also skinny because they aren't eating the right foods. we like to go on walks and hikes and to the park and we're thinking about bike riding but my son is leery of bikes. but it doesn't have to be like let's go work out. miniature golf is fun too. sounds like you guys are headed in the right direction.
  • jtconst
    jtconst Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    So I had a bit of an epiphany I thought I would share with all of you this morning. I started this lifestyle change about three weeks ago when I discovered green smoothies and after trying them decided I liked them and they would make a great breakfast. Well if I was going to do that I decided I might as well make some other changes and see if I could really get the ball rolling and then I discovered this website with all you amazing people. Now for the epiphany part. The reason I wanted to try the smoothies was not so much for weight loss but for health reasons like more energy and less chronic pain. Well I have been waiting for this surge I guess you would say of energy and vitality and getting frustrated that it wasnt happening and then this week came along. On thursday I went shopping for about four hours with my mom, on friday we spent six hours at the fair with the grandkids, and then yesterday we went garage saling and some more shopping for about another five hours. So now fast forward to today and I am in my bathroom scrubbing my shower doors" and I dont do that near enough so a major chore" and I realize I am not only not tired and worn out from the last few days but if I had tried that a couple months ago just one or two of those days would have had me in pain and recuperating for the next day or two. I was so happy when that realization popped into my head I had to share with someone and since I am home alone I knew my friends on here would be super happy for me so had to jump right on and tell ya'll about it. :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    Options
    :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

FOR NEWBIES ....................................PLEASE NOTE................................................................

- PLEASE NOTE - soon, we will soon come to the end of this current thread - every 20 pages, or 500 posts - we start a new Thread - you will see at the bottom IN the last post on page 20 a sentence like this :

(<Continued at this topic >) and the words “this topic” will be in blue.

Click on that phrase and it will take you to the first post on our new page One.
    :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    Options
    Experiencing a rainy and stormy day on the East coast. We need the rain so this is a good thing.

Bella- Good luck with all that you are dealing with your mom and sister. Wishing you the best of luck and I hope that you can find some time for yourself so you can enjoy the trails.

Sunday share- I am 42 years old and have been struggling with my weight most of my life. I have always been on the heavy side from 5th grade on.... When I hit 40, I finally decided it was time to do something about my weight. I started exercising and working out at a gym. It has been a long process and one that I am still working on. The best part is I am now trying new things that before would have been impossible. It is like experiencing my 20's all over again. So I guess life does begin at 40. I still struggle with being lazy and it is easy for the old habits to return but I still do my best to make the correct choices and eat healthy.
  • nicheven
    nicheven Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Sunday Share - I am 27 years old and working on this for several reasons. I was skinny up till highschool, played a lot of sports and then I stopped and started ballooning around the age of 16. It got way worse in college when I was with my ex boyfriend who was very unsupportive of anything, didn't like going anywhere or doing anything, and ate stuff and in portions that were way too much for me to be eating.

I met my husband and moved to California from Canada to be with him. I love him very much and he loves me just as I am, but also supports my quest to become healthier. I want to do this for him, even though I know he doesn't need it, so I can feel sexy, and thus be sexy for him. I also want to start a family in a couple years, and don't want to be fat before I get pregnant, fall into worse habits and get bigger. I want to be able to play with them and not be the fat mom who can't keep up.

When I was younger, my parents kind of sabotaged a lot of things, though I know my stubbornness and lack of drive was part of it too. I wanted to bike, the bike was in storage and they wouldn't get it out, so instead I did nothing. Not a good solution and its why im here now, but its something I've vowed, if my kid wants to do anything active I will do my best to be supportive of what that is, so I do not hinder them.
  • CathEsh
    CathEsh Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    @bellawares ~ what a stressful life you lead! Hang in there!

@nicholsvj ~ NOW I get why water is so strongly encouraged! Thanks for the explanation!

@naceto ~ your story is heartbreaking, yet inspiring! Good for you for turning it around for your son!

@monarchris ~ I, too, am enjoying foods I never used to eat. I find that I don't get hungry like I used to. I think it has to do with the fact that carbs and sugar (my main staple until I started this journey) cause you to get hungry after a couple hours of eating them and also make you crave MORE carbs and sugar. I don't do that anymore! Well, I still like carbs and sugar but don't crave them like I used to. :happy:

@jtconst ~ That is great news! Good for you for changing you lifestyle and realizing you feel better because of it! I am also finding that I have more energy these days! Feels good, doesn't it?
  • nicholsvj
    nicholsvj Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Ok Group. i made 12 mini quiches at 50 cal each and 16 mini muffins at 63 cals each. Now I have breakfast for the week made and I don't have to worry each morning what I am going to eat! Just have to make coffee in the mornings, and thanks to Keurig, that's only a 1 minute process!

here's hoping I can fall asleep tonight. I always have a rough night before starting a new rotation!
  • tootsanderson
    Options
    Ok Group. i made 12 mini quiches at 50 cal each and 16 mini muffins at 63 cals each. Now I have breakfast for the week made and I don't have to worry each morning what I am going to eat! Just have to make coffee in the mornings, and thanks to Keurig, that's only a 1 minute process!

here's hoping I can fall asleep tonight. I always have a rough night before starting a new rotation!

oh wow, that's awesome! i'd probably be tempted to eat half of them in one sitting haha
  • Callean321
    Callean321 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Need to lose 90!!!
    Sunday- Hi I'm Cal and I am looking for like minded people that are losing weight in a healthy way!
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    @naceto & vickie--(I think it was you 2) thanks for the info about magnesium. I checked the calcium + D supplement I bought and it does contain magnesium, so I think I'm set there. I don't currently have any breathing issues like asthma, but as a moderate smoker, it is always a concern.

@nichols--thanks for the explanation about the sodium. It's good to know I am likely better hydrated than I used to be.

@christine--glad your son is back, safe and sound! :drinker: Also, I hope you enjoy your quinoa. It's become a staple in my diet.

@lin & bella--my heart goes out to both of you! :flowerforyou:

@cath--congrats on getting out of the 240's!! :drinker:

Loved hearing everyone's stories--thanks for sharing guys.

Sunday Share:
    Went out last night and didn't get home 'til almost 2:30. As I fell asleep, I promised myself I wouldn't use it as an excuse to skip the gym today. Slept in a bit this morning, then went to work out. :bigsmile:

A few of you gave me words of encouragement (thanks!) about the stair challenge and that motivated me to try the Climb Master machine at the gym. I found it to be less difficult than I thought; I managed 48 floors which is 768 stairs. Although that's less than a 3rd of the 3,000 stadium stairs I would need to climb in the Soldier Field challenge, I'm sure about half of those would have to be DOWN the stairs in the challenge. That being said, the machine also reminded me that I'm EXTREMELY clumsy on stairs--I tripped several times but fortunately was holding the rails so it wasn't a big deal. However, stadium stairs don't have double rails, so I'm thinking that challenge probably isn't for me.

Chicago has a yearly event called Hustle up the Hancock, which involves climbing 94 flights of stairs in that building. I might try that one since there is a railing to hold onto the entire way up and I'm currently able to climb about half that goal. Registration opens in November and the climb is in February, so I have a little bit of time to decide if I want to do it.
  • susan2396
    susan2396 Posts: 794 Member
    Options

@Susan~Awesome job with the loss this week and the exercise!

Thanks! I didn't lose a thing the week prior so I was glad to see the scale go down. I'm really trying to stay focused on the big picture and not get hung up on my weekly losses since they fluctuate so much.
  • susan2396
    susan2396 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I left for a time but have returned .need to lose 100 lbs., but I have to take it slow increments, otherwise I become overwhelmed. I keep it at 30 lbs increments.I et my stress get to me at times and then I do some emotional eating and then I become depressed. This time I am going slow and easy, not so hard on myself. I am holding myself accountible for what goes in my mouth. I feel so good since I took off the 32lbs,my breathing, walking,hip pain,all of it improved I know each day I improve my quality of life. Love being back keep on keeping on----later:huh: :drinker: :drinker:

I get too overwhelmed as well so I'm looking at it in 10 lbs increments. I want to lose 10 lbs 15 times. I've lost 1 so far and only 5 lbs away from #2 and then 13 more to go. Woo Hoo!!!