Concealing & carrying pistols while running/working out

Options

Replies

• KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    I didn't intend for this to be a political discussion. Was really seeking advice. Thanks for the suggestions all.

I felt that your question was pretty straight forward. I don't know why people want to bring their own agendas into these things.

There's an amazing cycling trail that I love going to to ride my bike with my fiance. We don't really ride together, we just meet back up after our workouts. A lady was raped and murdered on that trail a few years back. Ever since then, we only go on Saturdays when there's tons of people there. Even then, if I get to an area when no one's around I get nervous. We've talking about getting a small weapon for me to carry while riding there as well as on my own long routes at home. It would really give me peace of mind. There have been times on my other routes where I've gotten pretty nervous because it's way out in the country with no one to witness it if someone knocked my off my bike and tossed me into their vehicle.

So I would have asked the same question.... how comfortable is it? What harness is best? Too bad people can't just simply answer the question.
  • jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    I don't have any answers, but I just wanted to stop in and say how completely bad-*kitten* that would be. I'd never expect a runner to be packing heat. I will have to keep this in mind next time I am out trail-jacking.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    To me a gun is no different from a fire extinguisher or a first aid kit. I don't expect my house to catch fire and don't fear it but I choose to be prepared and not rely on others for my personal safety and that of my family.

Difference is, fire extinguishers and first aid kits don't tend to kill people.

You can kill someone with a fire extinguisher. It's pretty easy to kill someone if you want to do it. No gun necessary.

Only if they're standing right in front of you, and you were strong enough and tall enough and quick enough to lift it and swing it at their head before they moved.

Guns are so different to every other weapon. In a second, in the heat of the moment, someone's life is gone forever.

And you go to jail forever.
  • trackercasey76
    trackercasey76 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I use the Smart Carry (same as Thunderware) I do not run but carry when on a bike or walking/hiking I carry a Bersa Mini .45 with an extra clip. after about 3 minutes you literally don't feel it.

http://www.smartcarry.com/
  • zoeluiisa
    Options
    To me a gun is no different from a fire extinguisher or a first aid kit. I don't expect my house to catch fire and don't fear it but I choose to be prepared and not rely on others for my personal safety and that of my family.

You can kill someone with a fire extinguisher. It's pretty easy to kill someone if you want to do it. No gun necessary.

Only if they're standing right in front of you, and you were strong enough and tall enough and quick enough to lift it and swing it at their head before they moved.

Guns are so different to every other weapon. In a second, in the heat of the moment, someone's life is gone forever.

I don't think that would make the dead person feel better :(
  • msprouse8
    msprouse8 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I live out in the sticks so I have a CWP and I do carry when I run because I do sometimes run alone. Even when someone runs with me, I stll carry. We have fox, coyote and wild hogs in our area. I have a small gun called a bodyguard with the red sight laser. I have a Nike small fanny pack that it fits into and I situate it along my right hip and low onto my hip so that it sits against my upper leg/pelvis and doesn't jostle or bounce. It doesn't cause me any pain or discomfort. I have only stopped and pulled it out once when I happened upon 2 red fox on my run and they did not run away at the sight of me. I was worried they were rabid, but once I got closer (within 15 ft) they did finally decide to run off.
  • Ridley1273
    Ridley1273 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    The PT-One (pistolwear.com) is very comfortable with a Kel-Tec .380 while jogging and I would assume the PT-2 (which they suggest is better for women) would be comfortable as well. It is designed for exercise.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    It scares me that anyone can run around with a weapon in this country.

Scared the emperor of japan too, and it was one of the reasons he didn't consider an invasion of the west coast.
  • RGv2
    Options

Missing my point. People who carry have to complete and pass a heavy training course in order to be able to carry. They understand the concequences of carrying, and that they cannot fire unless their life is in imminent danger. People who go crazy and just "fire in the heat of the moment" most likely aren't carrying legally anyway.
  • larosita57
    larosita57 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Oh god, this topic really depresses me :( I live in inner city Chicago, am a woman, and sometimes have to run at night - but I will NEVER carry a gun, much less own one. This is such an incendiary topic in the U.S., I'm reluctant to weigh in here, but I must say this - I work in one of the most crime-ridden neighborhoods in this city (I'm a social worker), and where I live ain't so great either - but I totally reject gun culture. If you must carry a gun while running - plz stay clear of me - I wouldn't want to be mistaken for an assailant and lose my life!

Why not practice safe running habits (already suggested above, I'm sure), like running with a partner, etc. There is a foldable stick thang that some female runners I know carry along for their runs - can't remember the name - might not be a bad thing to consider buying.
  • RGv2
    Options
    Oh god, this topic really depresses me :( I live in inner city Chicago, am a woman, and sometimes have to run at night - but I will NEVER carry a gun, much less own one. This is such an incendiary topic in the U.S., I'm reluctant to weigh in here, but I must say this - I work in one of the most crime-ridden neighborhoods in this city (I'm a social worker), and where I live ain't so great either - but I totally reject gun culture. If you must carry a gun while running - plz stay clear of me - I wouldn't want to be mistaken for an assailant and lose my life!

Why not practice safe running habits (already suggested above, I'm sure), like running with a partner, etc. There is a foldable stick thang that some female runners I know carry along for their runs - can't remember the name - might not be a bad thing to consider buying.

Sticks and my partner arent' going to take care of wildlife...
  • zoeluiisa
    Options

Missing my point. People who carry have to complete and pass a heavy training course in order to be able to carry. They understand the concequences of carrying, and that they cannot fire unless their life is in imminent danger. People who go crazy and just "fire in the heat of the moment" most likely aren't carrying legally anyway.

Ah, I didn't know you had to undergo training to own a gun, I thought you could just walk into a store and buy one. Still, you get the point I'm making - a lot of damage can be done very quickly, in fear, or anger, or just by mistake. That's why guns scare me.

It is interesting to talk about it though, with people who have them.
  • nickhuffman74
    nickhuffman74 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Why conceal?

Carry open and avoid the problems you describe, and the problem to begin with.

Seriously.

A) Not always an option
    2) Easier to carry a light small pocket pistol for running than something bigger that would "need" to be open carried
    III) NOT to get into this old and tired debate, but open carry doesn't always avoid problems to begin with. Sometimes it can create a problem

This and where I live you can't open carry.
  • nickhuffman74
    nickhuffman74 Posts: 198 Member
    Options

Ah, I didn't know you had to undergo training to own a gun, I thought you could just walk into a store and buy one. Still, you get the point I'm making - a lot of damage can be done very quickly, in fear, or anger, or just by mistake. That's why guns scare me.

LMFAO if you can call that stupid six hour class along with some lame excuse of target shooting training.
  • larosita57
    larosita57 Posts: 60 Member
    Options

Sticks and my partner arent' going to take care of wildlife.

The only wildlife I'm worried about here are rats, haha. I'm more concerned with people and traffic. Are you worried about being attacked by a moose or bear or vicious mountain lion?
  • RGv2
    Options

LMFAO if you can call that stupid six hour class along with some lame excuse of target shooting training.

Your instructor must have been pretty awesome then.
  • RGv2
    Options

Sticks and my partner arent' going to take care of wildlife.

The only wildlife I'm worried about here are rats, haha. I'm more concerned with people and traffic. Are you worried about being attacked by a moose or bear or vicious mountain lion?

Um, yes. Bear are possible, mostly cyote's though.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Simple belly band can be pretty useful.

Thunderwear/SmartCarry as well (already mentioned).

I did enjoy all of the useless comments by people who have probably never even held a gun, however.
  • kvcreed
    kvcreed Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I find this topic strange. But then, I'm European.
    I also find it confusing. I have trouble enough placing my ipod in a place where it's concealed and tucked away enough not to annoy me. I have once helt a gun in my life. I'd rather not do it again, even though it was just clay pidgeon shooting. Running with something like that must be really uncomfortable...
  • p0pr0cksnc0ke
    p0pr0cksnc0ke Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Good grief... just give some helpful advice.. not go on about your pro/con of carrying.. SHEESH!!!

This is what I am planning on getting http://www.pistolwear.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=ia1321496277819