Is it rude to go to a restaurant and not eat?

Options

Replies

• penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options

Sigh. You're not saying anything I didn't say :/ No one said stealing, "empty seat," etc... It's all about a custom you don't even have in your country. You literally just spent 30 minutes arguing over something I never said, nor do you seem familiar with.

Well, I'm out. Lol, good luck OP, if you ever return.

If I'm saying everything you said why are you arguing with me? HMMMM? Who's wasting time now? Sheesh.
  • abigailmariecs
    abigailmariecs Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    From a personal standpoint I would not eat under the circumstances and would not consider it rude. If it was just you and your wife and it was a dinner date, then you should eat something even if it was something small like a dinner salad.

That being said from a servers standpoint I would rather have customers who did not order then order and pick at something. I am going to assume if you order something and only pick at it that there is something wrong with the meal and not only will I check back and ask I will send another server and if the other server does not find out what is wrong you had better bet my manager is not far behind. While there is a great number of people who have no problems telling you if there is something wrong there is also an equal number of people who will just quietly pick at something and not say a word. As a server it is part of my job to figure out how to make your dining experience the best it can be and if you are not eating the food that you ordered I have to assume that something is wrong and do everything that I can to fix the issue.

P.S. If you don't order it is only polite to tip. You are taking up a table that could have been used by another group of customers. The argument that I have overheard at tables usually consits of tipping off the bill even if one or two did not eat but please understand that if the one or two that did not eat were not there the remaining guests would have been seated at a smaller table and depending on how large the group is I may or may not have been required to give up a table or only been allowed to take the party due to the size. I only make $5.50 an hour in wages (this is tip credit states like AZ and the $5.50 is above minimum wage in AZ) no matter if I sell $500 or $5,000 during a shift. It was my tips that put food on the table and a roof over my head. By the time they took taxes out of my check I was lucky if the check covered the gas to and from work.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Things I've learned from this thread:

1) NEVER, EVER take my child out to eat again unless I'm starving and will order food. Even then, nah, he gets a veggie tray next year in the back yard.

B) Never ask people I don't know on the internet their opinion unless I'm ready to be made a fool and/or make sure my wife is called petty and childish and other wonderful sentiments. However, it is fun to watch people argue about something that has already happened and can't be changed.

III) If I'm not hungry, and other people are, I should stay in the car or go in and order food I'm not going to eat and push it around with my fork...of course, this goes against everything I've taught my child when I tell him not to play with his food and just eat it. But, hey, people on the internet told me I can, so it must be ok.

4) Waitresses don't like you if you just order a drink (or nothing at all) while everyone else orders food. They think you're wasted space and a smaller tip. (I also learned that I go to a restaurant to make sure the waitstaff is well taken care of with my tip and to please them and make them comfortable...and here all these years I thought it was the other way around. I'll know better for next time.)

E) I'm not permitted to text using a phone that I pay for and a service I pay for because it may offend other people who were not even there. Or other patrons of the restaurant who were apparently more interested in my business than their own. I understand the whole "don't text and drive" laws, but "don't text and eat"...that's a new one.

This has been a very educational Monday morning.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Sigh. You're not saying anything I didn't say :/ No one said stealing, "empty seat," etc... It's all about a custom you don't even have in your country. You literally just spent 30 minutes arguing over something I never said, nor do you seem familiar with.

Well, I'm out. Lol, good luck OP, if you ever return.

If I'm saying everything you said why are you arguing with me? HMMMM? Who's wasting time now? Sheesh.

If people are going to leave a decent tip, they will leave a decent tip and recognize if they are taking up a bigger table than necessary or ordering less than usual. (Assuming decent service).

If someone does not leave a decent tip, regardless of who orders and the size of the bill, that person was not goiing to leave a decent tip, anyway.

I have left a huge tip before for a very small check because we spent a long time at the table just talking and I knew the server missed out on someone else being seated there. If tipping is the only issue, good tipped are good tippers; bad tippers are bad tippers, no matter the situation.
  • penrbrown
    Options
    Things I've learned from this thread:

1) NEVER, EVER take my child out to eat again unless I'm starving and will order food. Even then, nah, he gets a veggie tray next year in the back yard.

B) Never ask people I don't know on the internet their opinion unless I'm ready to be made a fool and/or make sure my wife is called petty and childish and other wonderful sentiments. However, it is fun to watch people argue about something that has already happened and can't be changed.

III) If I'm not hungry, and other people are, I should stay in the car or go in and order food I'm not going to eat and push it around with my fork...of course, this goes against everything I've taught my child when I tell him not to play with his food and just eat it. But, hey, people on the internet told me I can, so it must be ok.

4) Waitresses don't like you if you just order a drink (or nothing at all) while everyone else orders food. They think you're wasted space and a smaller tip. (I also learned that I go to a restaurant to make sure the waitstaff is well taken care of with my tip and to please them and make them comfortable...and here all these years I thought it was the other way around. I'll know better for next time.)

E) I'm not permitted to text using a phone that I pay for and a service I pay for because it may offend other people who were not even there. Or other patrons of the restaurant who were apparently more interested in my business than their own. I understand the whole "don't text and drive" laws, but "don't text and eat"...that's a new one.

This has been a very educational Monday morning.

I LOVE your bullets. 1 B III 4 E? Brilliant. Just brilliant. I should have bulleted school projects like this when I was in school. I probably would have gotten good marks for creativity!
  • JesseMotes
    Options
    I think your wife has issues. She probably felt like if she ate and you didn't, that would make her look like a pig.

this. she was probably hungry and didnt want to look bad by eating without you. BTW y'all need to work on your conversation skills. this should have been discussed before you walked in the resteraunt.
  • sionnain
    Options
    i usually ask for a glass of water and something small, maybe a salad, just so people don't try to feed me.
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    i don't always order in restaurants...and I don't always eat...they are social gathering spots and as a result i often end up at them with no appetite...

so no...i don't feel bad and I don't think it's rude...

I have had people ask me aren't you going to order anything and I just smile and say no, I'm not hungry, but I will have a cup of tea...or a glass of wine...

no one ever seems offended...
  • serena569
    serena569 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    You have to order something - even if it's just coffee or tea.
  • Xstitcher74
    Xstitcher74 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Perfectly fine to go and not eat. I have done that before and so has my Mom when she has not felt too hungry. Why eat if you are not hungry? Conversation is just as filling sometimes. :smile:
  • aminakhan1980
    aminakhan1980 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    No way. Not rude at all. You took your daughter out for dinner because she wanted to go there. I wouldn't have the will power to not eat even if I were full. Good for you and shame on your wife for acting like a bratty child. Hmmmph!
  • Sabresgal63
    Sabresgal63 Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    No, as a matter of fact I told a co-worker that I would be more than happy to accompany her on her lunch out and just order a diet coke or something. It's also about the "fellowship", not just the food.
  • beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Why not order something small or some soup?? And no I don't think it was rude either......
  • penrbrown
    Options
    No, as a matter of fact I told a co-worker that I would be more than happy to accompany her on her lunch out and just order a diet coke or something. It's also about the "fellowship", not just the food.

I think this idea that family gatherings MUST be about food is why we have gotten so freaking fat. We equate food with happiness, togetherness and fellowship. How is that healthy or good? We should be able to visit, fellowship and be together without needing everyone to be stuffing their faces.
  • ourgang
    ourgang Posts: 229
    Options
    NOT RUDE AT ALL!!!!!

you can order a drink, or even water. they were still getting profit from your families order. I often want to enjoy my family's company, but if im not hungry i don't order or eat!!! this is hard to learn to do so i focus on fueling my body when it needs it, but sometimes your family needs fuel before you do....

however i do beleive that the texting back and forth would be rude!!! if we try to teach our children the importance of the family table time, we should set an example :)

Blessings for you and your family
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    My wife told me that I should have ordered something small and just taken most of it home.

I'm with your wife. Last week I found myself at a meeting with friends at a restaurant after I'd eaten. I just ordered something small.
  • Irish_eyes75
    Options
    I think your wife has issues. She probably felt like if she ate and you didn't, that would make her look like a pig.

I've been a server and you don't need to worry about making them uncomfortable by what you eat or don't eat. They don't care.

^^ this

Your wife was the rude one there. She overreacted and made the situation uncomfortable.

I've been out so many times with people who weren't hungry or weren't feeling well and they just wanted to come and hang out instead of staying home. Didn't bother anyone that they didn't order food.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Whether trying to lose weight or not, I've often gone to restaurants and not eaten. And I've had friends go with me and not eat. For example, I'm out shopping and run into a friend and they want to grab something to eat and catch up but I'm not hungry, I will say "I'm not hugnry right now, but I'll have a drink and we can catch up while you eat".

It would certainly be odd if an entire party took up a table and didn't eat, but as long as someone is eating it's not uncommon.

Your post says your wife didn't eat either. Why did she not order if she thought it was rude of you not to order?
  • gzus7freek
    gzus7freek Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I do that all the time. My boys wanna eat somewhere that I think is bad for my diet I will not order anything. I will drink water and watch them enjoy themselves. Not rude at all!
  • susjan
    susjan Posts: 105
    Options
    My Father is probably the pickiest eater you will EVER meet and he has done that all my life!! At first it would annoy me and embarrass me, but now I know he would sit there to enjoy the time. It no longer bothers me and I don't think it's rude at all.