What/Who annoys you at the gym

Options

Replies

• TheBiggestLosee
    Options
    Though, I still get in regular cardio, I haven't been to the gym in a few months. The one thing that irked me was the smell of the lockerroom. With the steam from the showers, sweaty dudes and just about ALWAYS someone having a bowel movement the moment I step in there -- it's pretty gross. lol
  • Louisianababy93
    Louisianababy93 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    The people who bring there kids and let there kids run around crazy.
  • nphect
    nphect Posts: 474
    Options
    A lot of these things I don't understand why they bother people. Like women wearing makeup to the gym. People lifting too much weight. women walking on treadmills and not breaking a sweat. etc etc. How does that affect you? I go to the gym to worry about myself.

well when they take up all the treadmills and could be walking outside, and are obviously not obese, and i have to wait 20 minutes so they can burn 10 calories, its annoying.

So, if they could be walking outside, why can you not do the same?
    I get irritated, too, when all the treadmills are taken. The difference is, rather than let that annoyance get to me, I just take my tail on out to the parking lot of the high school where a single lap is 1.65 miles and resolve to go to the gym for deadmill duty at a better time.

i want to time my sprints, not guesstimate it on a track. The whole point of a treadmill.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options

People that only run on the treadmill when it's a beautiful day outside and there's a nice path less than 1/10 mile down the road

How are you sure there isn't a reason they can't run outside? I personally can only run on the treadmill because of my scoliosis. When I used to run outside my back would be sore I could not even walk the next day..
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    A lot of these things I don't understand why they bother people. Like women wearing makeup to the gym. People lifting too much weight. women walking on treadmills and not breaking a sweat. etc etc. How does that affect you? I go to the gym to worry about myself.

well when they take up all the treadmills and could be walking outside, and are obviously not obese, and i have to wait 20 minutes so they can burn 10 calories, its annoying.

So, if they could be walking outside, why can you not do the same?
    I get irritated, too, when all the treadmills are taken. The difference is, rather than let that annoyance get to me, I just take my tail on out to the parking lot of the high school where a single lap is 1.65 miles and resolve to go to the gym for deadmill duty at a better time.

i want to time my sprints, not guesstimate it on a track. The whole point of a treadmill.
    Please stop. You sound like spoiled brat who didn't get their candy.

Oh and that's not the "point of a treadmill".
  • missalissa772001
    missalissa772001 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    people on there damn cell phone!!! put the damn phone down and work out. you dont have to be up some ones behind when your at the gym to work on you!!
  • sdag
    sdag Posts: 29
    Options
    I generally do not care what others are doing at the gym, however, I do get annoyed at the girl that douses herself in perfume in the locker room BEFORE working out. Greatly irritates me for various reasons. Do that crap outside, don't do it in the locker room... and/or use better perfume. Ugh. Makes the entire gym smell.
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options
    I work at a Gym...
    but holy hell, learn to incorporate putting your weights away into your last set, so that i don't have to leave an hour late (which i don't get paid for) cos i'm cleaning up your mess! Also, stop spilling your effing protein shakes on the ground, I'm not your mother go pick up after yourself :) Ta!
  • shabim
    shabim Posts: 5
    Options
    Those people who sweat (like forest rain) and don’t wipe it off the equipments! And those guys who want to show off their muscles!
  • HappyandToned
    HappyandToned Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    A few things, really!

1- When the whole row of treadmills, or ellipticals, is completely free to use, but people will just come to the one directly next to me. Fair enough if all the rest are taken, but if they're not, give me some damn breathing space!

2- When people spray themselves with so much deodorant/perfume before their workout, I literally feel like I'm suffocating!

3- Trainers that talk too much and are so freakin' loud and in your face. I like peace and quiet, other than the music coming out of my headphones, while I'm having a big workout.

4- People that go crazy on the stationary bikes, so much so that they're dripping sweat absolutely EVERYWHERE, including the floor and the equipment. Makes me feel sick!
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options
    People walking on the treadmill at 1.4mph and gripping the side rails

This is what I was going to say. Drives me nuts. You come to the gym to lose weight/get in shape, and you walk slowly while you hold on to the rails for dear life. Good luck with that.

Stop judging people.. how do you know their past? When I tore all the ligaments in my ankle I couldn't walk for more than 6 months.. so when I went to the gym I would walk on the treadmill slowly cos I was still learning to walk again? And walking on the treadmill was safer than walking outside at that time cos I hurt my ankle so badly.. if I put it in the wrong angle, it would cain. Some guy had the nerve to come up to me and ask if I could get off so he could actually work.. yeah he looked a bit flustered when I limped off and told him that the reason I was working slowly was because I hadn't been able to walk for the past 6 months.
  • AntWrig
    Options
    I'm not bothered by what other people do, I'm there for me and that's all that matters.
    This!
  • frogz21
    frogz21 Posts: 314
    Options
    This is why I workout out at home or outside.
  • AntWrig
    Options
    jim-gaffigan.jpg
    You're are never done.

That picture is stupid.
  • Carfoodel
    Carfoodel Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I just had a bit of a rant at the gym staff member as I have been using that gym for about 8 months now and out of the 5 cycle machines 2 are out of order (one with a sign and the other one not so newbies are always trying to get it to work and you have to tell them.) The 2nd big monster size treadmill was showing an error message and the other big one has had an out of order sign on it since I started. There are only 3 ellipticals and yes you've guessed it one has a sign on it that's been out of order since I joined.

It is a small gym and it is very cheap and the people that use it are all friendly and down to earth - but today took the biscuit as I really wanted on the elliptical and both were being used and they have just bought a brand new squat rack, new benches and a load more weights - but I had to point out that they really need to fix the equipment they have got before they get new stuff in - argh!
  • SilverOnTheTree
    SilverOnTheTree Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    The stuff that bothers me is the same kind of thing everyone else has already said. Especially shallow girls who wear makeup and giggle and take up half the equipment while gossiping. But, I'm guilty of having done everything at least once (it's so easy to forget to unload the leg press), including standing around having social time.

Something I really ENJOY at the gym is the collection of awesome old guys, from recently retired 65s right up to a determined chap who must be pushing 90. They have the funniest conversations, and they don't mind at all if I join in with their chatter. Their cameraderie is a welcome change from the usual push-push-get-fit-get-fit routines.
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options
    When 1 person is taking up 2 machines... There was a guy switching between back extensions and crunches... pick one and let someone else use the other!

I do that frequently but when the gym isn't busy and no one has shown any sign of using one of them. I also get the sets done quickly and move on. If someone asks I say go for it as well.

I do this too... In fact I switched between back extensions and crunches on Monday. However, I work out around between 9pm and midnight. There is hardly anyone there but if they wanted to use one, I'd sure as hell let them.

It's called supersetting... extremely efficient for getting the same amount of work done in a smaller amount of time.
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options
    Weird, middle-aged man who sat on a stationary bike while pedaling very slowly, if at all, staring at me the entire time I was there working out...............

Are you sure he wasn't on a higher level/resistance?
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options
    The girl on the elliptical next to me that strides ever so slowly on it and texts and talks on the phone telling everyone how she's been working out every day for "2 hours"... yet I've never seen her even break a sweat ... she probably burns the same amount of calories that I do in 15 minutes! I try to go when she's not there because her lack of effort brings my energy level down!

There's a girl at my gym that does this too. She goes ever. so. slowly. watching TV, not breaking a sweat. Hell, she's wearing LOAFERS, not gym shoes. I'm beginning to think she only comes to the gym to watch TV :huh: because she doesn't have one at home?

"No matter how slowly you go, you're lapping everyone on the couch."
  • AmandaTWaH
    AmandaTWaH Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I went to a gym recently, which I haven't done since college. I work out at home and have been putting together a nicely equipped home gym but I'm lacking a few things still and figured I'd give a free trial of the local gym a try.

I don't think I'll ever go back.

I weigh around 320 pounds. I'm not small. Of course, that is why I'm going to the gym, you know? Not only did I have half of the people staring at me the whole time I was there, but more than once I had people come up to me asking me if I could let them use the equipment I was using because they would "get more use out of it." When I said no to one of them they actually had the nerve to tell me that "a gym membership isn't going to do *kitten* if if you keep eating double cheeseburgers." Umm... excuse me?

One of the trainers heard it and asked that guy to leave, but that gym was a horrible experience. I'll just keep growing my home gym. (I'm going to work on getting more weight lifting equipment next.)