Age difference in relationships

Replies

• sizzle92
    sizzle92 Posts: 1,015 Member
    My husband and I are 8 years apart. I am 38 he is 46. I love it. He has grounded me and helped me evolve so much as a person and I feel I help keep him young and on his toes. :)

My ex husband is 3 years younger. Ugh I hated that. He was and still is such a child.
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Ive only dated 2 people.

The first one I dated when I was 17 and he was 19. He was 2.5 years older than me.

The second and last one is my husband. We started dating when I was 18 and he was 23. We are 4.5 years apart. Now Im 28 and he's almost 33 and we've been together almost 10 years!
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    So when I was 17 I dated a 23 year old and he seemed horribly old! :D

But my husband is 8 years older than me.
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    I dated someone who was 12 years older than I am for while.
  • Litlbeast
    Litlbeast Posts: 340 Member
    My boyfriend is 15 years younger than me. He's the first younger guy I've ever dated, and I'm not sure what the opposite of a cougar is (younger male guy who goes after an older woman), but that would be him in this case. I turned around one minute and he was there sweeping me off my feet.

It's the most compatible partnership I've ever been in and I'm deeply in love with him, but I occasionally get stressed about the age thing. He never does. Probably cause he's 27 and has no common sense...

*no offense to any 27 yr olds here who've got common sense. '__'
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    I'm glad to see some of the ladies' responses here. I was worried that a 26/27 year old wouldn't want to data a 35 year old. :)
  • ElizaRoche
    ElizaRoche Posts: 2,005 Member
    I go for older guys (not 80 year olders, just older than me), i dont like youngers, i always say im not a babysitter, older guys will ALWAYS have more experience no matter what 20 year olders say.
    The older I have dated is 46 (im 32)... :blushing: :love: and i would do it all over again!!!!
  • Songbird1104
    Songbird1104 Posts: 210 Member
    I once dated someone who was about 10 years older than me. We worked pretty well together, except that we were in totally different parts of our lives. I was graduating high school and about to embark on an international excursion, and he was ready to settle down and have kids. So we broke it off and found people who were more aligned with our long-term goals.

Oh, and my mother-in-law had her last baby at 41 years old. It's sometimes tougher to have kids when you are older, but I'm not convinced it's a reason to break off a wonderful relationship. :love: Can you get her back?
  • HiKaren
    HiKaren Posts: 1,306 Member
    Don't let that stop you....

I'm 47 and hes 33.

14 years difference.

I used to have a dumb rule. The age rule (He has to be my age or older) Sooooo glad I broke my own rule. Because I never, ever in my lifetime, had anyone I loved and was compatible with, like I am with him. Yes we are happily married for 4 years. And together for 7. We both have some health issues, and thats partially why we haven't had children. We have discussed this, and we know that there is some child out there, whos parents have passed away. Either a natural disaster, or War or something. We want that child. Thats the one we want when we are ready. Do you have a dog? Do you have time for a dog? I didn't push out my dogs myself, but I love them just like I did. So the birthing part isn't a issue. : ) Good luck sir. And if its someone in your family or a friend thats influencing you in this direction, please think about this again. They could be leading you wrong way.
  • Iron_Maiden
    Iron_Maiden Posts: 326 Member
    I'm 36 and this age for me makes me realize why a younger man would be perfect. Age doesn't matter - it's compatability & attitude.
  • kooltray87
    kooltray87 Posts: 501 Member
    Oldest guy I dated was 10yrs older. I was 23, he was 33. It was great because neither of us wanted a serious relationship. It was just something fun and kinda tabu....My current serious bf is 5 years older than me, 25 and 30. He's a young soul and I'm an old soul so we kinda meet in the middle. lol The only time I even notice our age difference is when we are with our friends. Most of his friends have kids and/or are married. I'm also usually the youngest one in the room :-/
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    I was 25 , he was 54....and to put it into perspective...my dad was 49 at the time.

so yeah......

we dated for a year and a half...

Yes Mark?
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Oldest: When I was 20, he was 27. Dated for over a year and a half, didn't work out because it was long distance

Youngest: most recent xbf was about a year younger. We dated for under a year and broke up because he's young and not ready to be serious.

Age is never a deal breaker, but I think older works way better for me. Plus my lil bro is 21, so anyone much younger than me reminds me of little bro and gets friendzoned
  • HurricaneElaine
    HurricaneElaine Posts: 984 Member
    I was 21, he was 19. I took his virginity and broke his heart.

It hurts to even type that..
  • bodiva88
    bodiva88 Posts: 308 Member
    Dated a 24-year-old when I was 45. He was an actor. And age difference wasn't an issue. But it wasn't serious.

I can't think of anyone much older than I, just a year or two.

My Aunt once asked me why I didn't marry a friend of mine who is 18 years younger than I. She said age is just a number. But whatever my feelings for him, he's always seem me as a friend, not something else.
  • marthadztx
    marthadztx Posts: 337 Member
    My last bf was 28 ..im 47 :drinker:

21/2 yrs together.
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    My husband is 5 1/2 yrs younger than me and we're great together, married for 15 1/2 yrs.:heart:
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    My husband and I are 9 1/2 years apart...he's 44 and I am 34. I was 27 when I met him so 37 didn't seem all that bad :) Anyhow, I think it works great b/c we are at the same maturity level, haha.

When I was in college every guy I dated after I turned 21 was 18. Some sort of phase...lol
  • Hmm, 9 years, he was 26, I was 35. I'm glad to see all the ladies representing in this thread for dating either older or younger. Whatever works for you!
  • Robin1117
    Robin1117 Posts: 1,768 Member
    My husband is 15 years older than me. We met when I was 26 I think? He was 41? I fought it for a long time, thinking he was too old for me, but realized I had been dating jerks (my type unfortunately.....) for a long time, and it took me awhile to see that someone great, and nice and sweet and loving was the right way to go, and that age didn't matter.

Anyway, we have been together around 15 years, Married 11.

As for maturity? I'm definitely more mature. We are equals in every way possible way.

The only downside I do see is definitely the aging, because he is well into his fifties now, and differences in how we approach it. I think he should be doing more to stay young for us (we have a son, almost 8), and he's a little complacent. Oh well.....it's all good. All marriages have challenges. This is just one.

As for the OP? for some reason I think as a woman I'd be weary of a younger man more than the other way around....I think men change a lot in their 30s and 40s.....and are a little fickle. I would say forget the age rules, and never say never, but you probably did the right thing.....