WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY

Options

Replies

• weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Vicki--

So sorry to hear of your cousin's passing. I hope you can take comfort in knowing that she is not suffering with her illness any longer, and that you and your family can feel support from one another to get through this sad time.:flowerforyou: You will be in my prayers.

Barb
  • pmjsmom
    pmjsmom Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Vicki--Prayers for you and your family. I'm sure your cousin knew how much you wanted to be with her. She's not in pain anymore which is a blessing. Take care.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,395 Member
    Options
    McMadame - what I did with the GS cookies was I'd have like 2 or 4 per night until I finished the package. Now there's only one more package left, and I don't expect to be buying any more! Actually, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE those cookies, so most times when the GS are selling their cookies, I buy the peanut butter patties which I don't like (but dh does). I'm just wondering if I should just get the damage over with and then be done with that one package. I honestly didn't know the calorie difference between the 2% milk and the skim, so I just assumed that it was a large calorie difference and didn't have any milk but had water instead. How would I have been able to measure out 2oz of the milk? I may sound like I'm rationalizing having those cookies, but I really did need to know if the entire package was OK.

Deb - nope, they didn't have any yogurt. Like I said, they didn't even have oatmeal...only grits, cheese grits, and biscuits and gravy. Yes, I know that I really need calcium. As a matter of fact, I take calcium suppliments each day (which reminds me that I need to take another one since the body can only absorb 500mg at a time). Thank you so much for all your good advice and words. It really means a lot to me.

zaza - where in the northeast are you? We used to live in the Poconos (moved there from NJ) then in Kennett Square (PA) before moving down here.

Well, got back on track. Did Jillian Michael's No More Trouble Zones DVD, then went food shopping. I find that the best time for me to go food shopping is right after exercising. So far today I've had 112oz of water. Tomorrow I'm going to take the deep water aerobics class, which reminds me that I want to put a piece of fruit in my gym bag. I always get so hungry after swimming, so there's me in the locker room eating my apple or pear. Think tomorrow I'll have a clementine since I have some that I would like to finish up.

hmmmm....I have to take my car for an oil change tomorrow. I usually take something with me to read while I'm waiting. I've already read my Fitness and Prevention magazines and Health hasn't come yet. Guess I'll need to take my book, the Omnivore's Dilemma. Just finished In Defense of Food and I really didn't get much out of it. But the Omnivore's Dilemma to me is interesting. I never realized how many things are derived from corn! Maybe I'll start on the blanket for a friend and take that with me.

Cindy - I'm with you, I would rather not take drugs. Now dh is a different type of person, he would rather take a drug to lower his cholesterol than to try to change his lifestyle. Not me, I only take a drug if I really must. As a matter of fact, the MD down here put me on calcitonin in add'n to my osteoporosis drug (which I'd been on for some years). I had to do a report on osteoporosis for a class I took, and in all my research I learned that calcitonin is the least effective. When I mentioned this to the MD, he agreed with me but said that it needs to be taken in conjunction with another drug (like a bisphenol, not sure about a SERM) to be effective. Well...I had a BMD scan done and basically nothing changed. So I told him I was discontinuing it (who knows what it was doing to my nasal cavities? I might consider it if I'd seen an improvement, but I didn't), which he wasn't very pleased about at all. But oh well.....

Got some great news today. My son called (I was out), spoke to dh. Seems he'll be home this summer (yea, yea) and actually asked if he could stay at our house. At least he'll be on the same continent. Heck, for that matter, he'll even be in the same time zone as me. When it's Friday for me, it'll be Friday for him. Ain't life grand????? He said that he'll be taking some classes in Orlando, and asked if he could stay at the condo. Looks like we'll HAVE to get down there pretty soon to at least buy a new refrigerator.

Barb - dh taped the race, too. He added an extra hour to be recorded. Who would have ever thought that the race would last so long? But it was a great finish. At least we got to watch the finish in warmth...lol

Vicki - I am so sorry for your loss, words can't even begin to describe it. Know that your cousin is no longer in pain and you now have your own guardian angel. I'll be praying for her family.

Michele
  • AliceLMS
    AliceLMS Posts: 2,428 Member
    Options
    Prayers for you Vicki and your family as well.:heart: Alice
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,986 Member
    Options
    :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: Vicki, I'm so sorry to hear about your cousin.....I'm sure she knew how much you cared about her.......I send warm and loving thoughts to you, my friend.
    :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: hugs Barbie
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    #3 - I love MacMadame's "Worth It" scale. Great mind trick.
    Thanks! I wrote a whole blog post on it once. With graphs and everything. :laugh:

I do this for everything I put in my mouth. I weigh the nutritional composition of the food vs. how satisfying it is. For things like cheese, which I don't care about one way or another, I usually end up with reduced fat cheese. I honestly can't tell the difference between it and the full-fat most of the time. But I absolutely with NOT eat non-fat cheese as I find it totally disgusting and it is never "worth it'! But I always have regular whipped cream because the difference is only 10 calories and non-fat whipped cream is just not satisfying enough to be worth saving only 10 calories.

Like I said... sometimes it's worth it to have cookies. But, if you think about how many calories they have and how a lot of them aren't really that great, a lot of times it's not. So I have them when they are *good* cookies and I can afford the calories and carbs and the rest of the time they are just not worth it.

I think when you think of it like this, it doesn't feel so much like you are constantly depriving yourself. If you think about and decide you don't want whatever it is, that is mentally different than telling yourself that you really wanted it but you are being "strong" or "good" and not eating it anyway.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,986 Member
    Options

Barbie--Tell Jake if he wants to put fingers in the salad, he should get a package of "chicken fingers" or "ladyfingers" and save his own as he will need all of them for keyboarding!!!:laugh: :laugh:

Jake says thank you for the suggestions and wonders if Butterfingers would be a good idea, too :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Since the injury was to his thumb, he can still keyboard and use the TV remote but not wash dishes :laugh: or play golf:brokenheart: :sad:
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Vicki - So sorry to hear about your loss. Praying for you and yours.

I am kind of in a funk today. I gave blood, which pleases me a lot. I hadn't been able to give for a while due to low iron, but with my new healthy lifestyle, I passed with flying colors. However, I am finding that it is zapping my energy tonight. And they told me not to go swimming tonight - didn't realize how much I would miss that. However, I am just rejoicing that I was able to help out some unknown someone somewhere with my blood again, and knowing that my day will dawn brightly again tomorrow. Speaking of which, I had better get to bed. Good night all!
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options

Barbie--Tell Jake if he wants to put fingers in the salad, he should get a package of "chicken fingers" or "ladyfingers" and save his own as he will need all of them for keyboarding!!!:laugh: :laugh:

Jake says thank you for the suggestions and wonders if Butterfingers would be a good idea, too :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Since the injury was to his thumb, he can still keyboard and use the TV remote but not wash dishes :laugh: or play golf:brokenheart: :sad:

Guess "thumbing a ride":noway: :wink: is out of the question for a while too, huh!!!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

And Butterfingers general crumble easily, so not sure how well they would survive being cut up!! LOL

BTW, I don't like to wash dishes either, but when I want to avoid that, I use paper plates.. It saves on bandaids and trips to the ER!!!!:laugh: :laugh:

As for golf, after taking NINE strokes:noway: :grumble: on the second hole of my first foray into Wii golf last weekend, I think I will have no problem avoiding that sport in the future!!!:laugh:

Barb
  • DebbieW
    DebbieW Posts: 187
    Options
    #3 - I love MacMadame's "Worth It" scale. Great mind trick.
    Thanks! I wrote a whole blog post on it once. With graphs and everything. :laugh:

Like I said... sometimes it's worth it to have cookies. But, if you think about how many calories they have and how a lot of them aren't really that great, a lot of times it's not. So I have them when they are *good* cookies and I can afford the calories and carbs and the rest of the time they are just not worth it.

Good morning everyone,

First of all, Vicki, I am so very sorry for the loss of you cousin. Please accept my sincere condolences.

MacMadame - I really do like your "Worth It" scale. Sometimes, it's "worth it" to have the little indulgence of what you truly like, such as real whipped cream vs a fake whipped cream.

This reminds me of something that I read once, it said:

"if you don't understand what the ingredients are in the product you are eating....why would you "choose" to put that food into your body?"

That question really resonated within me. I really took my reading of the nutritional labels further. Instead of just reading the carbs, fat, sodium etc. on the label, I also began paying attention to what the list of ingredients were in the product. It really opened my eyes.

There are so many "ingredients" in the foods we consume daily that we don't even know (unless we're a trained professional) what they are. These foods are called "non foods" by nutritional experts. These are manufactured, processed, scientifically engineered ingredients added to our food supply and we don't even know what they are or exactly what they are doing to our bodies. Although one look in a mirror can usually give us a pretty good idea.

Hence the push to eat whole foods. Foods that our bodies through all of our generations understand how to break down, digest and run our bodies efficiently.

To me, I try to understand what I'm putting into my body so that I can try to be as healthy as I can possibly be entering into my "mature" years.

Have a great day everyone and here's to making the right choices for a healthy body.

Debbie
  • plantlady99
    plantlady99 Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: I really miss reading all your encouraging post. I just don't want to lose this thread and all the great people on it. I hope to be back soon.

:heart: Kathy
  • jbuffan218
    jbuffan218 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Joining here mid -month but I dont want to loose this thread.
    Turning 50 tomorrow, afraid this birthday is gonna be the one that messes with my head.
    I know the reason is because for the first time in my life I feel as if I am looking my age. I have always looked years younger than my age ( I've heard this for years) I dont hear it anymore. My skin has aged, my body has aged and menopause mid -drift has found a comfy spot where my waist used to be. I feel like the love child of Bea Arthur & Sponge Bob. Amazonian tall and square. Thats me. Not " technically" overweight but very fluffy and matronly. Breasts getting bigger every year?? Seriously? No waistline anymore and my once stunning legs are starting to resemble Hilary Clintons ( think cankels) No offense to Hills supporters.:ohwell:
    With that being said I havent exercised seriously / strenuosly ( sp?) for more than a week here and there in about 10 years.

I was looking at another thread for motivation but there was only one lady my age and one man in his 40's
    Didnt think being motivated by 20 somethings, with metabolisms that are still on fire would be very beneficial for my menopausal mid section. I am finding it difficult to relate to people that do 90 minute spin classes, P90X, run half or full marathons. I am hoping to find motivation here that is more in line with those things I might actually aspire to do.
    I would love to hear from others out here that are dealing with age - related hormonal change weight gain and how SLOOOOOWW it comes off.
    Hanging in there this time and actually seeing mini results.
    Thanks for lettting me join the cool group :blushing:

Highest Weight : 173.5
    Todays Weight : 169 ( mid week weigh in only for this post )
    End of Feb Goal: 165
    Final Goal : 150 before end of June 2010
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Vicki- Sorry to hear about your cousin.

Barbie - I hope Jake's finger heals quickly.

To all:

I've caught up on the posts this morning with my coffee and I just love all the encouragement and uplifting stories. To those who need hugs:heart: to those having a sunny day::glasses:

Have a great Tuesday,

Jeannie
  • Benson
    Benson Posts: 444
    Options
    Morning Ladies and Jake??

Vicki - I'm so sorry for your loss. You are in my thoughts today.

Well today when the 'buzzer' went at 4:45 I thought 'nope not today' and I rolled over to go back to sleep. I laid there for another 15 minutes all the while thinking 'all the other people are going what's wrong with your??' So I hauled my sleepy, sore body out of bed and off I went to exercise class:smile: 507 calories later - and I'm still alive!!!

I wonder if anyone has had a problem dropping any pounds once you start exercising?? I have been very faithfully going to an exercise class (not easy either) 5 days a week and doing a dvd at home on weekends, for six weeks. I have only slipped on my calorie intake 3 times and only eat 2/3's of my exercise calories and have only lost 3 lbs. I'm not really complaining, because I know I'm doing good things for the inside and I notice myself a bit smaller here and there but the scale number still has a hold on me. I guess I thought the changes would show on the scale quicker. Maybe my body thinks there's no use losing it because I just put it back on anyway:laugh: I will keep eating right and I will keep exercising because oddly enough, I like it. I've read many times how it sometimes takes a little longer for the results.

Other than that, I've just been busy with the kids and the home reno:grumble: Drywall dust is very annoying!

Back to work I go Have a great day everyone.

Heather
  • AliceLMS
    AliceLMS Posts: 2,428 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

I have been MIA for a while. For all you new posters I am generally a "lurker", love to read and take great encouragement from all your posts, but don't always respond in a timely manner.

This time I have been out so long most of the new posters won't know me.

Barbie, glad to hear Jake's thumb is better.

Kathy, remember to take care of yourself in those few quiet moments.

Barb, love your stories, as you know I have my own Yorshire Terror's at home. They always keep me laughing.

Vicki I hope you can find comfort in the graciousness of faith, and the love you and your cousin shared.

Mary glad to hear all is well with you. Always enjoy your posts. What an active and engaged family you have.

Tuesday last I had an exploratory surgery, nothing major was found, and I will have the final results next Monday.
    I have had no pain to speak of, but I certainly have been tired. My weight has been all over every where, and my workouts have been very limited. The various aggravations of menopause, that were basically gone are back with a vengenance. ( pausing to wipe droplets off the keyboard :ohwell:)

My goal for now, is to snap out of it and get back to work!
    I have done well on my water and have been consistent on my calories, but not always the quality of the food going in my mouth. Time to straighten up!
    The sourcream Valentines day cookies with the violent pink icing ( My grandaughter colored the icing and loved it. She and her little brother, as well as I had a great time making these.) were definitely a problem.

My sister and I attended the state garden show Sunday and had a wonderful time. We plant and maintain a park in the summer as well as our own gardens. I am soooooooo looking forward to spring. In the meanwhile I am repotting my house plants, starting seeds for the outdoor gardens, and making plans for new gardens.

Now I had best get back to work!:heart: to all of you. Alice
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Happy Wednesday to All-

Cheryl in Colorado Welcome (I'm in Colorado too):flowerforyou:

VickiM - So sorry to read about your cousin, {{hugs}} and prayers coming your way.

jbuffain- Welcome:flowerforyou: , yep this group can be called steady and sure...a great group of 50+er's:smile:

Barbie - hope Jakes finger continues to heal quickly:smile:

Heather - good for you getting out of bed to exercise, wish it was something I could force myself to do, especially since all the equipment is in the basement:grumble: ...but alas I do it after I get home from work.

Alice - will be praying that the test results come back with nothing serious.

The challenges continue with my Mom, her housekeeper (who is more friend then employee) is encouraging my Mom to get better so she can return to her own home:angry: . I'm just not sure that is a good thing, at 83 she really needs more care than what I have in place for her. I had caregivers coming every day 8-11am and 8-9pm...but she still managed to fall three times :sad: since Thanksgiving and this last one last Wednesday (was it just a week ago...seems longer) where she broke her pelvis and she didn't call lifeline...well for me that's the last one. I did tell her I wouldn't force her to move from her home as long as she wasn't falling and could handle it...well now i don't think she can...it's gonna be hard convincing:grumble: her I'm not trying to be mean but just care for her...with no siblings to help with this it's hard.

Tomorrow we find out if my hubby is on the cut list:huh: ...hope not I really like that he has a job with a paycheck.

Yesterday was my #10 mark :smile: and I'm doing pretty good with that..if the other stresses would just go away.

Everyone GO, FIGHT, WIN we can do it.:flowerforyou:

Laura
  • BirdieM
    BirdieM Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    Again, I'm sooooo busy! Trying to keep up with reading the posts but very little time to reply!

So a big HELLO and many HUGS to all.!!!!!

I lost another lb too:blushing:

BirdieM:smooched:
  • mynyddisamrs
    Options
    :drinker: Good evening all .. bit late logging in but I'm here!!

I'm feeling "Old" today as my sister rang , saying I'm to be a :heart: Great, Great Aunt!! my Great niece is expecting her first baby in Sept. On the same day as my Dad's and my grandson's birthday!! DS is to be a Great Grandmother , My Mum is thus a Great Great , Great Grandmother ...phew! Xmas and New Year festivities have a lot to answer for eh?

:embarassed: Can't say I've done any exercise today ... hope to do the DVD tonight.I've managed to keep in the calories but haven't many left .
    :noway: Scales said the same this morning ...again! Only me to blame though ,I know!!

:yawn: Highlight of my exciting day ....We've waited in for the gas man to repair the oven. It was in our house when we moved in and has been so good 'til now. Starts up but thats it!! So no roast dinners! Sharp intake of breath and £168 later ...he's back tomorrow to fit a new part .

:laugh: Back to work tomorrow too and Friday so at least I can put that as some exercise!

:heart: Mum's back from her day centre now so.... I'm back to Carers mode now and will be back tomorrow.

:heart: Take care of yourselves everyone ...... thanks for being with me on this journey. I know I'm an awful passenger!!
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Laura - I hope your hubby isn't on the cut list. About your Mom - I do know what you are going through. My brother and I had to force my parents out of their home of 40+ years as it was not safe for them any more (January 2003). Mom still resents it and still through a digs my way when she can. Good luck with everything. I will be thinking of you this week. Jeannie
  • lose2cruise
    Options
    So, ok. I've been using the sight for tracking my weight for a while and have never chatted. I am at an all time high of 173. I'm 5'7. Have gained 30 bls in 10 years. My Dr says it it imperitive that I loose 20 lbs. So, I am going to try.

Welcome, Peggy,:flowerforyou:
    I started this journey year ago at an all time high of 183 and didn't really believe I could lose the weight. I took it one day at a time, stayed open minded to the new ideas I heard on MFP,and took baby steps in changing my life. You can do that too. :bigsmile: Barbie

Barbie - your weightloss is inspiring!