Can we start a mythbusting thread?

Options

Replies

• Krys_140
    Krys_140 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Really... saying something you disagree with is a myth and then stating your opinion if HARDLY myth-busting.

Some of the stuff listed here as "fact" by several people is completely wrong while others list items as myths simply because they do not understand them.

/sigh

Examples?
    Yes, please bust some of the busting! Let's hear it!!!!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Myth: The bigger you are the more calories you burn.

Damn I wish this was true. I always see people posting huge calorie burns in short amounts of time - because they've got a lot of extra weight. I have a ton to lose and no matter how hard I bust my butt my burns are tiny. I'm sure it's true for some people but it just makes me insane and super frustrated because it is totally not true in my case.
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Myth: Muscle weights more than fat, so when you start working out (lifting or cardio) you might gain muscle weight...
    Fact: 1 day of "working out" will NOT put on 2-3lbs of muscle. In anyone...period.

It's water weight, muscle are used to being a couch potato and they are retaining water. Unless you went over your calories by 7000 in one day. In which, BRAVO! :noway:

The other problem with that myth is this: A pound of fat weighs the same as a pound of muscle. A pound is a pound. Now, muscle tissue may be more DENSE than fat, but then, so are the people who work out one day and think they gain 2-3 pounds of muscle...
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Really... saying something you disagree with is a myth and then stating your opinion if HARDLY myth-busting.

Some of the stuff listed here as "fact" by several people is completely wrong while others list items as myths simply because they do not understand them.

/sigh

Examples?

One off the top of my head I noticed was "Myth: Starvation mode". While many have a misconception of WHAT starvation mode is, it is actually a fact.

If you want to proclaim something as fact, you have to prove it with some data.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    Myth: I'm fat and never exercise. Therefore, I am an expert on everyone else's diet and exercise.

Truth: Shut up unless asked for your advice.

Not aimed at anyone here, just venting about all the unsolicited critism I sometimes get from my alleged "friends".:mad:
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Myth: Baby fat

Fact: You're 32 d*mnit

lol
  • missprincessgina
    missprincessgina Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Myth: women who lift weighs will get bigger, bulky, or manly

Fact: I traded in 2+ hours of cardio a day for 2 days of lifting and 4 days of cardio and look 100% better. I wasted so much time running for hours upon hours and just 2-3 hours of lifting per week made a huge difference!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

/sigh

Examples?

One off the top of my head I noticed was "Myth: Starvation mode". While many have a misconception of WHAT starvation mode is, it is actually a fact.

I think that starts getting into semantics (AT vs an actual starvation). People tend to abuse that term pretty badly in dieting circles. I like Steve's write-up here: http://body-improvements.com/resources/eat/#starvationmode
  • OH_matt
    OH_matt Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Myth: I came to MFP for the fitness

Fact: I came for the boobs.

i came for the fitness, but stayed for the boobs. even though i'm more of a butt-man.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Myth: You have to "eat more to weigh less"

Fact: Most of us are here because we got fat eating too much and "EMWL" is often (but not always, settle down) a tag line for justifying crappy food. Please, 5' females, stop letting 6'2, 210 pound male body builders tell you how much to eat and then start a thread a month later on why you aren't loosing. DERP.

Myth: To lose weight you should eat the smallest number of calories possible.

Fact: A small calorie deficit will cause fat loss while retaining LBM, provided some type of resistance/strength training is done to work your muscles. Stop trying to lose the weight as fast as you can. DERP

Yeahhhh that's what I said. Oh.. wait. Or I just said that you can't let the cries of "you HAVE TO DO THIS" dictate what works for your body. Let's go with that.

You're cranky on every single thread I see you posting on. Maybe you need to up your calories, you're sort of testy. Especially when people talk about low calories.... gasp... on a diet website.

Oh hi personal attack. Yeah, pretty sure WendyTerry's one of those "tells it like it is/logical/objective" people... guess you see that as "cranky"?

No, "tells it like it is/logical/objective" people are bullies right?

Seriously though, I've never seen Wendy be cranky. I'm actually wondering where that came from......

Somebody stop me before I bully the whole effin' community.

3114527.jpg
  • DanaDark
    Options
    I think that starts getting into semantics (AT vs an actual starvation). People tend to abuse that term pretty badly in dieting circles. I like Steve's write-up here: http://body-improvements.com/resources/eat/#starvationmode

But you fail to get the point of my post. =/

Topic: MYTH BUSTING

Actual: Post anything you want, do not cite sources or examples. Simply state what you have chosen for the world to be FACT.

Imagine if a Mythbusters episode went:

Guy 1: We are going to debunk the myth that you can't die from having the moon fall on you.
    Guy 2: You can't because we say so. Thus it is true.

THE END. Roll credits.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

/sigh

Examples?

Then it may help if you are specific in requesting an explanation of the statement rather than making a broad generalized one.

Anymore you noticed or was it just the one that you admit to having discrepancies with definitions?
  • SideSteel
    Options

But you fail to get the point of my post. =/

Topic: MYTH BUSTING

Actual: Post anything you want, do not cite sources or examples. Simply state what you have chosen for the world to be FACT.

Imagine if a Mythbusters episode went:

Guy 1: We are going to debunk the myth that you can't die from having the moon fall on you.
    Guy 2: You can't because we say so. Thus it is true.

THE END. Roll credits.

I understand your point, but I also think that if you're going to call foul on any of the claims made you should point them out and why, so that it's discussed.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options

/sigh

Examples?

Data:

piratesarecool.jpg
  • STC189
    STC189 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Bump for later. :)
  • DanaDark
    Options
    Then it may help if you are specific in requesting an explanation of the statement rather than making a broad generalized one.

Anymore you noticed or was it just the one that you admit to having discrepancies with definitions?

I suppose if everyone stops posting for a little while I can go through each post specifically and assess the correctness of both the statement of an item as myth and the statement of an item as fact and then prove of disprove it one way or another. That could take significant time.

It is more of a call for people to explain their justifications and cite some sort of proof or evidence to support their claim.

Otherwise, nothing here is "mythbusting" at all.
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    Myth: You have to "eat more to weigh less"

Fact: Most of us are here because we got fat eating too much and "EMWL" is often (but not always, settle down) a tag line for justifying crappy food. Please, 5' females, stop letting 6'2, 210 pound male body builders tell you how much to eat and then start a thread a month later on why you aren't loosing. DERP.

Myth: To lose weight you should eat the smallest number of calories possible.

Fact: A small calorie deficit will cause fat loss while retaining LBM, provided some type of resistance/strength training is done to work your muscles. Stop trying to lose the weight as fast as you can. DERP

Yeahhhh that's what I said. Oh.. wait. Or I just said that you can't let the cries of "you HAVE TO DO THIS" dictate what works for your body. Let's go with that.

You're cranky on every single thread I see you posting on. Maybe you need to up your calories, you're sort of testy. Especially when people talk about low calories.... gasp... on a diet website.

Oh hi personal attack. Yeah, pretty sure WendyTerry's one of those "tells it like it is/logical/objective" people... guess you see that as "cranky"?

No, "tells it like it is/logical/objective" people are bullies right?

Seriously though, I've never seen Wendy be cranky. I'm actually wondering where that came from......

Somebody stop me before I bully the whole effin' community.

3114527.jpg

I don't think you're a bully. I save that word for people who are actually offensive, which you aren't. Just *defensive*. :)
  • DanaDark
    Options
    I understand your point, but I also think that if you're going to call foul on any of the claims made you should point them out and why, so that it's discussed.

Again, not the purpose of my post. Purpose was to encourage the conversation to move towards something more constructive. YOU asked for me to start pointing out specific posts (while at the same time NEVER asking anyone else for specifics based on their arguments).

Bottom line: It ain't myth busting if your reasoning is "because I said so."

Looking for some BUSTING in here...
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Again, not the purpose of my post. Purpose was to encourage the conversation to move towards something more constructive. YOU asked for me to start pointing out specific posts (while at the same time NEVER asking anyone else for specifics based on their arguments).

You said this, verbatim:

I challenged you to be specific. I did so because of the above quote.

The second part of your quote, stating that it's not myth busting, I agree with. It is opinion. But the reason I asked you for specifics was due to your statement above.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Myth: The bigger you are the more calories you burn.

Damn I wish this was true. I always see people posting huge calorie burns in short amounts of time - because they've got a lot of extra weight. I have a ton to lose and no matter how hard I bust my butt my burns are tiny. I'm sure it's true for some people but it just makes me insane and super frustrated because it is totally not true in my case.

This is actually true. The more weight you have, the more calories you burn. Lets say you lose 50 lbs. You will burn less calories just walking around than the previous you. If you don't believe me, try carrying a 50lb weight around and see if you burn more calories. Also, how are you measuring your burns?