Replies

• RobfromLakewood
    Options
    Myth: I have a small penis

Fact: 2 inches is a fine size
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Myth: The bigger you are the more calories you burn.

Damn I wish this was true. I always see people posting huge calorie burns in short amounts of time - because they've got a lot of extra weight. I have a ton to lose and no matter how hard I bust my butt my burns are tiny. I'm sure it's true for some people but it just makes me insane and super frustrated because it is totally not true in my case.

This is actually true. The more weight you have, the more calories you burn. Lets say you lose 50 lbs. You will burn less calories just walking around than the previous you. If you don't believe me, try carrying a 50lb weight around and see if you burn more calories. Also, how are you measuring your burns?

Well that would be unfortunate - because if I burn any less I should just give up exercising all together, as it is it barely seems worth it to me. I use an HRM. I have never even come close to burning the 500-1000 calories in an half hour or hour that I see other people posting up. It may be true for others but NOT for me.

Keep in mind weight loss is diet, exercise is fitness. You exercise to allow yourself to eat more calories. If you exercise and burn 300 calories, you have the ability to eat an additional 300 calories if you use MFP's designed program. If I workout and burn 700 calories, it just means I will be able to eat more. I cut at 2500 calories and bulk at 3200 calories. And I have a TDEE around 3000. You will cut and bulk the same way I do, but at different calorie ranges. But regardless if you are a man or woman, small or tall, the weight loss theory is the same. The issue comes into play when hormones get involved or a medical condition creates a variable. Also, you exercise because it's provides you a foundation to get stronger and healthier and you will keep the weight off longer. Also, if you weight train and eat adequate protein, then you increase the chances of maintaining your lean body mass.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Myth: The bigger you are the more calories you burn.

Damn I wish this was true. I always see people posting huge calorie burns in short amounts of time - because they've got a lot of extra weight. I have a ton to lose and no matter how hard I bust my butt my burns are tiny. I'm sure it's true for some people but it just makes me insane and super frustrated because it is totally not true in my case.

This is actually true. The more weight you have, the more calories you burn. Lets say you lose 50 lbs. You will burn less calories just walking around than the previous you. If you don't believe me, try carrying a 50lb weight around and see if you burn more calories. Also, how are you measuring your burns?

Well that would be unfortunate - because if I burn any less I should just give up exercising all together, as it is it barely seems worth it to me. I use an HRM. I have never even come close to burning the 500-1000 calories in an half hour or hour that I see other people posting up. It may be true for others but NOT for me.

Maybe you need to "give it" a bit more. I'm small and burn about 300 calories per half hour running 5K so I have no doubt someone large could burn 500 or more doing the same thing. You only get out of exercise what you put in.

I don't think it is very realistic to suggest I run a 5K 3 times a week just to get some big numbers in my diary. Glad it works for you though.
  • fraser112
    Options
    Myth: muscle and fat weigh the same

Fact: since muscle is denser than fat it weights more so the saying
    Muscle weighs more than fat is correct.

Myth : health at every size

truth : just because an obese woman can do yoga does not change the fact they are harming their bodies.

tumblr_ly6oc8ITpj1qgk1mco1_500.jpg

Oh, wow! Politically correct gone awry!

myth : its not obese peoples fault its everyone else.

fact: it's all their fault

Oddly this blog is completely comprised by obese woman who believe
    1.They violate the laws of physics
    2. blame everyone else
    3.the reason people view obesity as unattractive is because of the media and not the fact they will die young, not bear healthy children and show no signs of being a good breeding partner.
    4. They deserve fit men who worked hard for their bodies while they disregard their health.

http://thisisthinprivilege.tumblr.com/

Im sorry for the loss of faith in humanity that follows

tumblr_mdnllb7OlM1rlrrjdo1_1280.png
  • Lazygal53
    Lazygal53 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Then it may help if you are specific in requesting an explanation of the statement rather than making a broad generalized one.

Anymore you noticed or was it just the one that you admit to having discrepancies with definitions?

I suppose if everyone stops posting for a little while I can go through each post specifically and assess the correctness of both the statement of an item as myth and the statement of an item as fact and then prove of disprove it one way or another. That could take significant time.

It is more of a call for people to explain their justifications and cite some sort of proof or evidence to support their claim.

Otherwise, nothing here is "mythbusting" at all.

Need to let it roll like water off a duck's back ... i say :bigsmile:
  • tinytasha7
    tinytasha7 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Myth: Baby fat

Fact: You're 32 d*mnit

hahahahahahahah
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options

2. blame everyone else
    3.the reason people view obesity as unattractive is because of the media and not the fact they will die young, not bear healthy children and show no signs of being a good breeding partner.
    4. They deserve fit men who worked hard for their bodies while they disregard their health.

wow... what a mean spirited angry hateful blog. I had to stop reading.
  • rvicini
    rvicini Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Myth: Breakfast jump-starts your metabolism.
    Fact: It doesn't.

\m/ (<
    Registered trademark of Jackpotclown)

Breakfast is good because it fills you up... You don't feel hungry... But you can do as you like
  • Honey_bearz
    Options
    Cheers for the responses guys. Having a laugh going through it all.
  • Honey_bearz
    Options
    Myth: muscle and fat weigh the same

Fact: since muscle is denser than fat it weights more so the saying
    Muscle weighs more than fat is correct.

Myth : health at every size

truth : just because an obese woman can do yoga does not change the fact they are harming their bodies.

tumblr_ly6oc8ITpj1qgk1mco1_500.jpg

Oh, wow! Politically correct gone awry!

2. blame everyone else

Well **** me. That blog makes me so angry. There is so much in their heads, I just can't understand it.
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/668418-corn-used-my-man-parts-as-a-speedbag

Original Thread was created by Sidesteal

Now that I have your attention -

Every so often I'll make one of these random bits of info. How about now.

You don't need to eat clean.
    You don't need to avoid white bread or potatoes or beans or rice or _____________ (insert food here) unless you've got an intolerance/allergy/medical condition.
    You don't need to eat breakfast to get your metabolism started.
    You probably don't need to pay any attention to GI.
    Your metabolism doesn't get kick-started and you don't rev it up.
    Eating frequently is fine but it doesn't "boost your metabolism".
    Don't waste your money on Raspberry Keytones and you should probably turn off Dr. Oz.
    You are not toning.
    You will not bulk up, ladies.
    You also don't "gain muscle really easily". Yes, YOU.
    Low carbing is not dangerous.
    Low carbing is not metabolically superior.
    You can eat food before bed.
    You can eat food IN bed.
    There is no specific time at which eating will cause you to gain fat.
    The little pink dumbbells do not constitute "lifting weights".
    That glass of blended up "juice" that you're replacing your meals with, probably isn't "cleansing" any "toxins".
    "Hot Pants" don't make you lose fat, although they may make your wallet lighter.
    You don't need to burn off that bowl of cereal or piece of chicken.
    You don't need to worry about whether you're burning carbs or fat.
    You don't need to worry about how much fat you burned during your workout, or how much muscle you gained during that set of bosu-ball dumbbell flies.
    You don't "shock your body"
    You don't "confuse your mucles"
    Stop switching up your lifting program. How about stick to something and add weight to the bar.
    Just because you saw it in a documentary doesn't mean it's a good idea or even remotely research-based.
    You don't need to zig-zag or carb cycle or do the 17 day butt wash or the cabbage donkey stew diet.
    2 weeks is not a plateau.
    Start here:
    1) Eat within a reasonable caloric intake for your goals.
    2) Consume adequate protein and fat.
    3) Consume at least enough carbs to allow you to train with intensity.

(And can you just use some common sense with food selection?)

4) Lift weights
    5) Get rest.
    6) Repeat
    7) And quit worrying about all the other crap.

Be patient.
  • RawrWolfie
    RawrWolfie Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Myth: eating back exercise calories makes you lose weight a lot faster.

Fact: it doesn't your just minimizing the effects of the exercise, a calorie deficit causes weight loss, eating back the calories was a waste of time...you just ran for nothing!
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

2. blame everyone else

They refer to people against obesity as healthists? There is no god.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Myth- Eat less to weigh less.
    Myth- Eat more to weigh more is a myth because we are here because we all ate too much to gain the weight.

Fact- You are here because you probably consumed more than you burned, AND consumed junk food laced with preservatives and fat and sugar. You are here because you rather have watched the newest episode of the big bang theory and not take 30 minutes to work out. You are here because you did not know anything about nutrition and bought into "quick fix diets" that caused your metabolism to crash and think you are starving so when you fell off your diet, you gained it back and then some.

See people are fat because they don't have DVRs. I can go to the gym and then watch the newest episode of the big bang theory when it is convienient to ME. Not only is it about balance in how you eat, its about balance in how you live. I don't go to the gym until my wife and daughter have gone to sleep. Then I go to the gym, then I have a cookie and watch big bang theory or the walking dead. I definately cannot watch that while my wife and daughter are up because it scares the poop out of them :noway:

^^^ Three cheers for DVR!

I do the same thing. (Except I usually watch Big Bang Theory off of On Demand. Why waste DVR space? :laugh: )
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Myth: Breakfast jump-starts your metabolism.
    Fact: It doesn't.

\m/ (<
    Registered trademark of Jackpotclown)

Breakfast is good because it fills you up... You don't feel hungry... But you can do as you like

Everyone eventually breaks their fast. For some, the time of day is closer to lunch hour though, and that's ok. My personal window is two hours after I wake up.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Well **** me. That blog makes me so angry. There is so much in their heads, I just can't understand it.

It really makes me angry too. I got fat because of *my* habits. I own it. Now I am shedding the fat because of *my* habits. When I hit goal weight, it will be because I *earned* it, not because I am privileged!

I just want to smack that girl, swear to God, and MireyGal76 can claim that I'm "mean" all she wants. The blogger needs a wake-up call. She is not a special snowflake!
  • Toumani
    Toumani Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Myth: you MUST drink at least 8 glasses of water a day to lose weight.

Truth: No one really knows where that number came from.

The 8 glasses/day to be healthy came from US Army recommendations to soldiers during WWII. For weight loss, who the heck knows, but it does stop me from eating when really I am simply thirsty.

Additional fun fact: The US Army, as well the Axis Forces, also recommended that their bomber pilots take methamphetamine to combat fatigue - yes, that's speed, if you're wondering.
  • Toumani
    Toumani Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Myth: this is a mythbusting thread
    Fact: this is will turn into another thread where people argue about:

- eat more to weigh less vs eat less
    - carbs, good or bad?
    - weight lifting or cardio
    - macros
    - metabolism, ghrelin, insulin and cortisol
    - 1200 calories, the saga

etc., etc., etc., etc.

and where you will see "lose" spelled as "loose" more than any other time in your life.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options

It really makes me angry too. I got fat because of *my* habits. I own it. Now I am shedding the fat because of *my* habits. When I hit goal weight, it will be because I *earned* it, not because I am privileged!

I just want to smack that girl, swear to God, and MireyGal76 can claim that I'm "mean" all she wants. The blogger needs a wake-up call. She is not a special snowflake!

whoa... I wasn't claiming you were mean... I'm saying that the blog about thin privilege was mean and full of hatred. I agree that those people spewing hatred need to give their heads a shake, and if it takes your hand to shake it, by all means smack away!
    I worked hard to get where I am... so to say it's a privilege pisses me off too.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options

2. blame everyone else

This is where we've gotten to as a society. There are no aspects of our lives for which we cannot deny personal responsibility.

"You dang kids, get off my lawn!"
    /old geezer rant