angiechimpanzee Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Myth: You cant trust men

Fact: I am a gynecologist
    Lmao!
  • angiechimpanzee
    angiechimpanzee Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Myth: people that appear to eat a lot and remain lean have super charged metabolisms

Fact: they actually move more.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Your fact is a myth.

I have and so have others I know gained muscle and lost fat on a deficit.

So you have the weight and corresponding body fat numbers to back these claims ;)

There are only a few conditions where a person can gain new lean body mass in a calorie deficit.

1. noob gains 1-2
    2. Morbidly obese
    3. Shown only in some elite athletes with a very small deficit and only in the legs.

If you do not fit any of those 3, then it's probably an assumption because you got stronger and your muscle is more visible.

I don't know enough to agree or disagree here, but I do always wonder about the "noob gains 1-2" assertion. How is that consistent? Once you give up your noob card, your muscles stop cooperating?

You still see strength gains, just not mass gains.

Why can't all that fat you're losing fuel your way to larger muscles?

On a deficit it goes towards fueling other things - like daily activity and 'maintenance' of your body. Muscle is expensive to maintain and will pretty much be given last priority.

Correct. Also, in the untrained there are certain "accelerated adaptations" for lack of better term that happen when training begins. This typically lasts for a month or 2 at most.
  • LilEmm
    LilEmm Posts: 240
    Options
    I believe we've finally found the truth. :)
    Myth: this is a mythbusting thread
    Fact: this is will turn into another thread where people argue about:

- eat more to weigh less vs eat less
    - carbs, good or bad?
    - weight lifting or cardio
    - macros
    - metabolism, ghrelin, insulin and cortisol
    - 1200 calories, the saga

etc., etc., etc., etc.

and where you will see "lose" spelled as "loose" more than any other time in your life.
  • missabeez
    missabeez Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Myth: Weighing yourself everyday will make the weight come off faster...

Fact: Seriously?

DAMNITALL, I've been doing it wrong!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,402 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Your fact is a myth.

I have and so have others I know gained muscle and lost fat on a deficit.

So you have the weight and corresponding body fat numbers to back these claims ;)

There are only a few conditions where a person can gain new lean body mass in a calorie deficit.

1. noob gains 1-2
    2. Morbidly obese
    3. Shown only in some elite athletes with a very small deficit and only in the legs.

If you do not fit any of those 3, then it's probably an assumption because you got stronger and your muscle is more visible.

I don't know enough to agree or disagree here, but I do always wonder about the "noob gains 1-2" assertion. How is that consistent? Once you give up your noob card, your muscles stop cooperating?

You still see strength gains, just not mass gains.

Why can't all that fat you're losing fuel your way to larger muscles?

Here is the analogy I use. Think of your body like a balloon with water in it. A calorie deficit is a little hole at the bottom. The larger the deficit the bigger the hole. When you start weight training, they hole tightens up a little (improved elasticity). Eat day you put a little bit of water (food in our bodies case) but never enough to replace the amount of water lost. Gaining new lean body mass, means new mass is created. So how could you expect your balloon to grow without putting more water than you are losing? So in order to make your balloon grow, you need to add more water than you are losing.

Your body is no different. A calorie deficit will cause your body to be in a catabolic state. If you want to gain muscle, you need to in an anabolic state. The reason obese people can do it is because they has so many fat stores, that their bodies can rely on it so their bodies have some ability to create new lean body mass. Noob gains will only occur in those who have never trained. Like if you were a video gamer, never played sports, never worked out and then had a mild deficit and started lifting. You might see 1-2 lbs of muscle.
  • nhobbit
    nhobbit Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    bump :laugh:
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options

Noob gains in general are not new tissue, they are an increase in the energy supply to the muscle which manifests as larger muscles.

Stop strength training for a few weeks and you'll pee it away.

This is the solidifying mucles phenomenon. As muscles firm up they gain weight. However that firmness is not new tissue, it is mostly water. If you actually built new tissue an increased size would remain after the firmness dissipates.

You can fake or enhance this phenomenon by taking creatine (not saying creatine is a bunk suppliment, quite the opposite, there are real beenfits to having this increased energy supply, but you can fake the noob gains effect by taking creatine).
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I don't think it is very realistic to suggest I run a 5K 3 times a week just to get some big numbers in my diary. Glad it works for you though.

?

5K is a fairly easy distance. Running a moderate/easy pace 5K is to a runner what a half hour walk is to a non-exerciser. Running a 5K 3x a week is a low running volume (less than 10M a week is low volume).

I'm not a runner by any means, it is something I do on my off days from strength training, but to say it is unrealistic to run 5K 3x a week misses the mark bad. Get your cardio shape up and the 5K is nothing unless you are running it hard against the clock. Its only 30 minutes of exercise, that should not be a big deal for anybody but absolute beginners.
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I don't think it is very realistic to suggest I run a 5K 3 times a week just to get some big numbers in my diary. Glad it works for you though.

?

5K is a fairly easy distance. Running a moderate/easy pace 5K is to a runner what a half hour walk is to a non-exerciser. Running a 5K 3x a week is a low running volume (less than 10M a week is low volume).

I'm not a runner by any means, it is something I do on my off days from strength training, but to say it is unrealistic to run 5K 3x a week misses the mark bad. Get your cardio shape up and the 5K is nothing unless you are running it hard against the clock. Its only 30 minutes of exercise, that should not be a big deal for anybody but absolute beginners.
    "If you run, you are a runner. It doesn't matter how fast or how far. It doesn't matter if today is your first day or if you've been running for twenty years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no membership card to get. You just run."
    --John Bingham

5k is not nothing to an overweight person. It's often the first milestone that people aim for when they start running to run. 5K is usually the shortest organized running event that you will see so to say 5k is nothing is untrue. To someone that runs 10k, 13k, 26k, then yes 3 5k's in a week is no big deal. Most couch to 5k I've seen, are in the 6-12 weeks range. So to a person running for 20 years 3 months is nothing. For someone who has never run before training for 3 months is a pretty big deal.

A 30 minute time may be easy for people that have been running a while. To hit a 30 minute 5K I think is a pretty big accomplishment for someone overweight or out of shape. I doubt if I could have run that pace in high school when I was in the best shape I've ever been in and played football we never ran that far. Now I'm at 34 minutes and training to get down to 30. When I hit 30 it will be a big deal to me. By spring I want to run a 10K. When I started my weight loss nearly 3 months ago I couldn't "run" .25 miles and ascending a single flight of stairs while talking without it being noticeable that I was winded.
  • NoahandPresleysMom
    NoahandPresleysMom Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Myth: Eating after 7 pm will make you gain weight
    Fact: Not if its in your calorie budget.
  • blueivycarter
    Options
    How about a mythbusters episode on once you go black you never go back

jealous???
  • explodingalice
    explodingalice Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I think I love you.
    Guys and gals, all these myths are actually true. YOu can try and deny them but I know they're true because this trainer at my gym can bench 400 and he said they are true.

Also I did some research on this and I have a graph here that explains things;
    n6ov2a.jpg
  • cue_chik
    cue_chik Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Myth: Muscle weights more than fat, so when you start working out (lifting or cardio) you might gain muscle weight...
    Fact: 1 day of "working out" will NOT put on 2-3lbs of muscle. In anyone...period.

It's water weight, muscle are used to being a couch potato and they are retaining water. Unless you went over your calories by 7000 in one day. In which, BRAVO! :noway:

OMG! Thank you for posting that! I hate when people say they cheated on their diet one day and then gained 5 lbs! They obviously cant do simple math...they'd have to consume 17,500 calories in one day to gain that much the next!
  • cue_chik
    cue_chik Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Myth: Dr. Oz is a recognized authority on weight loss, supplements, diets, and nutrition and has your best interest at heart in everything he promotes.

Fact: Dr. Oz is a "snake oil" salesman trying to make a buck.

Bwah! Glad I'm not the only person who thinks that way!!!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

?

"If you run, you are a runner. It doesn't matter how fast or how far. It doesn't matter if today is your first day or if you've been running for twenty years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no membership card to get. You just run."
    --John Bingham

5k is not nothing to an overweight person. It's often the first milestone that people aim for when they start running to run. 5K is usually the shortest organized running event that you will see so to say 5k is nothing is untrue. To someone that runs 10k, 13k, 26k, then yes 3 5k's in a week is no big deal. Most couch to 5k I've seen, are in the 6-12 weeks range. So to a person running for 20 years 3 months is nothing. For someone who has never run before training for 3 months is a pretty big deal.

A 30 minute time may be easy for people that have been running a while. To hit a 30 minute 5K I think is a pretty big accomplishment for someone overweight or out of shape. I doubt if I could have run that pace in high school when I was in the best shape I've ever been in and played football we never ran that far. Now I'm at 34 minutes and training to get down to 30. When I hit 30 it will be a big deal to me. By spring I want to run a 10K. When I started my weight loss nearly 3 months ago I couldn't "run" .25 miles and ascending a single flight of stairs while talking without it being noticeable that I was winded.

I did the C25k based on times rather than distance. I got to where I could jog for 30 minutes straight, so I decided to try to run outside. Fifteen minutes in, I had gone about three quarters of a mile, so I turned around and went back home, making it a 1.5 mi. run in 30 minutes. I am supposing that 5k would take me close to an hour, and I don't have the stamina for that.
  • andy13
    andy13 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Myth- one won't hurt
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Myth- one won't hurt

One only hurts when one is too many and two isn't nearly enough.

Because I know the consequences of one I plan my day accordingly and I can have only one (of whatever). Except for Salted Caramel anything, I need to make sure there is only one because it's my weakness. Salted caramel is the devil's food, or Angel's food depending on how you look at it.
  • chnkysoup
    chnkysoup Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I'll start, and it'll work as an example;

I've heard that eating carbs (or just eating at all) after 6pm should be avoided because when you're sleeping it's harder to break it down, but I've also heard that this isn't true. If it is true then it's a good tip I guess.

Yes, that is a myth. You can eat at any time.

Myth: You can only absorb 25-30g of protein in a sitting.
    Truth: Only a moron would believe this.
    "Truth: Only a moron would believe this" Hahaha!!! I thought that was funny.
  • chnkysoup
    chnkysoup Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Myth: muscle and fat weigh the same

Fact: since muscle is denser than fat it weights more so the saying
    Muscle weighs more than fat is correct.

Myth : health at every size

truth : just because an obese woman can do yoga does not change the fact they are harming their bodies.

tumblr_ly6oc8ITpj1qgk1mco1_500.jpg
    Which weighs more...3 lbs of muscle or 3 lbs of fat....they both weigh three pounds but fat will take up a larger "home" in your body than muscle...I know I know, splitting hairs. :smile: