Victoria's Secret Fashion Show

Options

Replies

• PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I think people need to start teaching themselves, and their children, where SELFworth is supposed to come from.

As far as watching the show, I might, chicks with wings are sexy.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Not only do I have no interest in the show, I have no interest in buying their undies.

I think the Stewie from Family Guy boyshorts I was wearing last night, that read, "YOU WILL OBEY ME" sends a much better message to my husband.

And he did. :bigsmile:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    for the win!
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    We don't watch tv in our home, but I have seen the models. There are a couple of them that look fabulous, well they all look fabulous, but...I remember when I got a mail coupon from the company and the model featured looked very unhealthy. She looked like she was starving, super tall and rib bones out and such. It wasn't natural looking. Some women have rib features naturally but you could totally tell this woman needed to put on a good 5 pounds.

It's hard to not look at these women and feel bad. They are what society thinks is hot. And yes, they are. But they are far to thin for their height and I don't think that the body weight is healthy. Guess that's just the job though, right?

You feel bad for them? Seriously?

im shocked too. how could anyone feel bad for them? im sure there are outliers but they look healthy to me. or at a minimum they dont look unhealthy.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Some people criticize their pre-show diet, but fitness models and competitors also follow a contest diet. They don't do that year round, they do it for the show.
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I've never seen it and didn't even know it was tonight, but now that I know I intend on watching it. I shop at VS often so I'm interested to see what it consists of.

Of course I disagree with the whole body image thing, but it doesn't affect me negatively. I know what I want to look like and it's not emaciated.
  • angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 973 Member
    Options
    Thanks for telling me it was on, I'll be watching for sure.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

Tonight CBS will air the Victoria's Secret fashion show at 10/9c. Here is some food for thought you should read if you plan to watch tonight.

After last year's VS fashion show, which was watched by 10.3 million viewers, females could be seen on Twitter tweeting things like "Okay, so no eating," "2 hour workouts start tomorrow," and "Are they trying to make me starve myself?" Females of all ages can’t help but look at these models as prototypes for which they feel they should look like. I’m sure that some of the models work very hard to slim down, working out hard and eating right, or they have fantastic will-power, or they just have crazy metabolisms. Whatever it is, I’m sure some get their slender figures the “honest way.” I’m also quite certain that some of the models do it the “wrong way.” That is, they starve themselves and may even purge after eating. It is very sad to think that any portion of our population, whether young or old, might feel the need to harm themselves just to look like these models. And frankly, it’s just sort of hard to watch an emaciated young woman strut down the runway. Like I said, I don’t feel that all of the models are starving themselves; it would be unfair to make that assumption. However, for those who are doing it the unhealthy way, it is a serious mental health issue that the media has continued to ignore. It is also perpetuating these images to younger generations of girls and endangering their self worth as a result.

What do you think? Will you be watching the fashion show tonight?

***Disclaimer-- Let me just say that I absolutely respect those who will be watching the show tonight. I do not disapprove of the fashion show or Victoria’s Secret (I’m a loyal customer!) I simply choose not to watch the show because of an unrealistic, often unhealthy, ideal presented by the media.

- MT/RT

Why, here's some food for thought. Victoria's Secret also has a work out program for the seven weeks prior to the show that they advertise rather decently. It advocates getting off of your butt and exercising. What is truly disgusting is that these women are constantly accused of having eating disorders because they have thin, toned bodies. Who's really perpetuating this gross stereotype? The models or the insecure women who have themselves convinced that it can't possibly be hard work and dedication that sculpted the models because THEY don't look like that.

THIS!!!!!!!! I heart you.
  • Have you folks not SEEn these women? They are not toned. They are skinny but they wiggle! If you want to look like them, don't eat and don't do anything physical.
    If you want to be healthy, on the other hand... :)
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member
    Options
    I'm watching.

I know I'll never look like them. Does it make me sad? Yeah. But it's a fun show to watch so I just watch it.
  • NikoM5
    NikoM5 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Let's not forget that these women are genetic predisposed to looking that way. Trying to emulate that look by starving yourself is stupid and impossible. There are billions of women in the world, not all of them can be VS models. So what? Ladies, there's more than one type of attractive. Do you think Kim Kardashian has the legs to be a VS model? I don't think so, yet she's got plenty of male fans.
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    Not watching...
  • yogeshsarkar
    yogeshsarkar Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I don’t see any harm in watching those beautiful ladies walk down the runway. The way I see it, they make a choice for themselves and push themselves hard, whether through what we consider as proper way of dieting or otherwise.

At the end of the day, it comes down to personal choice and anyone who is participating in a contest or show is going to push themselves harder than everyone else, which is what makes them news worthy, be it professional body builders, athletes or models.

Starving one to look like models is certainly a bad idea, but then again I am sure that plenty of us, who are or were obese, have starved themselves at one point or the other, just to look “normal”. Now that doesn’t mean that we should prevent all fit people from appearing on TV or in real life, it is just a choice we make, the consequences of which have to be borne by us and our loved ones.

So my 2 cents enjoy the show for what it is and continue with your weight loss/fitness goal, because unless you really are a model, no one is actually going to pay you to starve yourself!
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    And let's not forget, you don't have to starve yourself to be a skinny.
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I have never watched it. Not because of self-esteem issues, but because I don't care.

^^^^THIS^^^^

Exactly. I simply don't understand why you would watch what is, essentially, a program length commercial.
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I have nothing against the models. Yes, SOME of them may have eating disorders, however, a lot of them actually work really hard for their bodies. Some have said in/to the public that they don't eat or don't drink or whatever for a certain number of hours before the show OR they eat a very, very strict diet for a day or two before the show but the rest of the year is not the same. A lot of them do work hard for their bodies.

I personally love seeing the SHOW. All of it, the hair, makeup, lingerie, extra stuff like the wings and dramatics of the whole runway show.
  • suzq0970
    Options
    I always watch it...the women are beautiful, the music is usually great and I have my latest dose of motivation for my next workout...I'm not worried about their methods, just mine. :smile:
  • rlmiller73190
    rlmiller73190 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I will watch it. I love the underwear, the angel wings, and the diamond bra! But, I have no issues with watching it (for myself) because I am confident in who I am and I believe I am beautiful, even if I am not a 00. However, it does make me incredibly sad when I see young girls comparing themselves to these models. I try to serve as a more realistic role model to my high school students as well as to my friends, because these women need someone who is confident in who they are and who they see every day.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    Oh, just a poor model, will never be loved, adored, paid, or married.

ambrosio-3.jpg
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Have you folks not SEEn these women? They are not toned. They are skinny but they wiggle! If you want to look like them, don't eat and don't do anything physical.
    If you want to be healthy, on the other hand... :)

Doutzen Kroes looks very healthy, fit and nice muscle tone (and that's just one example). I mean seriously, now even lingerie models are being called wiggly?

Edit: Also the lady in the photo above my post as well.
  • Sapporo
    Sapporo Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I don't get bored enough to watch it. I do look at the pictures the next day because I love lingerie.