everyne says " eat more to loose weight " bs ??

Options

Replies

• cvcman
    cvcman Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Ok I found 2 different ones they both say my TDEE is around 2780...and it says if I eat LESS than that I WILL loose weight...this is what im saying doesnt work for me...Because I am NOT eating 2700 a day and im not loosing weight.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Ok I found 2 different ones they both say my TDEE is around 2780...and it says if I eat LESS than that I WILL loose weight...this is what im saying doesnt work for me...Because I am NOT eating 2700 a day and im not loosing weight.

If you eat under your TDEE for prolonged periods you will lose weight. You have to.

However, TDEE estimation tools are exactly that -- estimations. What this means, is that you are either eating more than you think, or your TDEE is less than you think, or a combination of both.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    All I know, is I started eating more and I got to this:
    13599033_3893.jpg13599033_4052.jpg13599033_3693.jpg

I already started losing weight eating hardly anything and then started eating more to get to the picture on the left.
    579044_10152228600435607_1159219909_n.jpg
    197393_10152228702360607_1860731522_n.jpg

It Works. Find the group, find out what it's all about.

I've convinced hundreds of people to start eating more then what they were and they were 'convinced' they would get fat and that they will 'keep gaining if they eat that much'. They initially gained weight for a week or so, and then they lost...and kept losing :) Haven't had a soul come back for vengeance yet.
  • cvcman
    Options
    thats my point...it and you say "if you eat under your TDEE you WILL loose weight" but others here say,,,"eat more to loose weight" I can tell you for 100% sure I eat UNDER 2800 cals a day EVERY day and I am staying the same...I mix my work outs too..
    Monday...Tabata on the bike indoors or sprint outdoors...then upper body dumbell lifts, 3 sets of 20 reps

Tuesday..Bike at a fast pace outdoors for min 70 minutes at aprox 17 to 19 mph hills and flats

Wednesday...run 5 miles in 40 minutes....weights

Thursday...Tabata and weights..

Friday,,,,Bike 70 mins

Saturday ...Run 5 miles and weights

Sunday....Bike 70 minutes

Now winter is here on nasty days I cross country ski aprox an hour, shovel snow and do a 1 mile run...this is in one day...then the next I will either run or do Tabata and weights....so you get the idea...I also am very active around the house always working...bed at 10pm up at 6 am
  • tellascott
    Options
    auddi, did someone pee in your Wheaties ? I wasnt having a "temper tantrum" I was just stating that I HAVE tried the eating more and it doesn't work for me...everytime I try it I gain !!!! I wasnt JUST basing it on last nights bing......
    this eat more, lose more thing...now i have no idea if this is true or not, but I was stuck at 180 forever, like since blasted June. I would get under 180 and then poof right up to 188 or something, it was bloody discouraging. I was at a 1200 calorie limit, feeling bad if I went over it, then whenever I did, i would gain weight, so then I would eat less to no avail. I finally decided, I don't care..i'm going to try eating more and see if it makes a difference...so I raised my calories allowance up to 1500, still wonderful for a slower weight loss by traditional explanations. a month of that and poof, finally got under my 180. I hover now between 175 to 180 and that was over Christmas. So on my own experience, it did work...took about a month and i still feel guilty if i go over the 1500 now, but I look at it as an average and in a week if i am over instead of under I look at it as shocking my lazy metabolism into working again.
  • Cobwellac
    Cobwellac Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I think the whole notion of eating more to weigh less is BS. Not everyone can EAT MORE and some ppl need to EAT LESS. It's very individual. Find out what you're TDEE is and just eat below that.

This. It really comes down to calories in and out. Eating over your TDEE is not going to get you where you need to be. Also, I don't of many fat anorexics (though I"m not advocating developing anorexia), so yeah, eating less will get you thin, period.
  • CoderGal
    Options
    thats my point...it and you say "if you eat under your TDEE you WILL loose weight" but others here say,,,"eat more to loose weight" I can tell you for 100% sure I eat UNDER 2800 cals a day EVERY day and I am staying the same...I mix my work outs too..
    Monday...Tabata on the bike indoors or sprint outdoors...then upper body dumbell lifts, 3 sets of 20 reps

Tuesday..Bike at a fast pace outdoors for min 70 minutes at aprox 17 to 19 mph hills and flats

Wednesday...run 5 miles in 40 minutes....weights

Thursday...Tabata and weights..

Friday,,,,Bike 70 mins

Saturday ...Run 5 miles and weights

Sunday....Bike 70 minutes

Now winter is here on nasty days I cross country ski aprox an hour, shovel snow and do a 1 mile run...this is in one day...then the next I will either run or do Tabata and weights....so you get the idea...I also am very active around the house always working...bed at 10pm up at 6 am

You either
    a) are not measuring foods accurately
    b) are over estimating your exercise burns
    c) over estimating your TDEE
    d) are doing something to make you gain water weight
    e) have a metabolic disease.
    f) have some food intolerences
    g) you're using the wrong equations that are not appropriate to you

If you can't lose eating less then your TDEE and you're estimations are as accurate as possible (you can have your RMR read by your doctor btw to get a more accurate estimation of your TDEE), then I would suggest seeing a medical doctor.
  • CoderGal
    Options
    I think the whole notion of eating more to weigh less is BS. Not everyone can EAT MORE and some ppl need to EAT LESS. It's very individual. Find out what you're TDEE is and just eat below that.

This. It really comes down to calories in and out. Eating over your TDEE is not going to get you where you need to be. Also, I don't of many fat anorexics (though I"m not advocating developing anorexia), so yeah, eating less will get you thin, period.

Nobody here is saying you should eat over your estimated TDEE. They are implying they will continuously gain weight eating below their daily energy expenditure.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    auddi, did someone pee in your Wheaties ? I wasnt having a "temper tantrum" I was just stating that I HAVE tried the eating more and it doesnt work for me...everytime I try it I gain !!!! I wasnt JUST basing it on last nights bing......

ummmmm....chill...you're the one all over-excited.

As a 5'8" male you are far underweight at 140.

Gain a few solid pounds...

or seek help for an eating disorder...

your choice.
  • Cobwellac
    Cobwellac Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Then that needs to be made clear, because perhaps this person is eating at TDEE and then thinking they should eat more. That's why telling people to eat more doesn't work for everyone. Plus, I really don't believe in starvation mode.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    If you are eating less than maintenance (TDEE) and not losing, then that is not your TDEE. You need to work out your TDEE first before you can deduct your deficit.

Only way to work out your correct maintenance will be trial and error. Don't rely on a computer calculation.
  • cvcman
    Options
    uh,,,,yea ok.....Ill file that comment about my eating disorder
  • cvcman
    Options
    I go to my Dr on a regular basis...he does ALL the apro. tests labs, stress test, ekg, echo....no issues...so I would guess I dont have a metobolic disease
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I go to my Dr on a regular basis...he does ALL the apro. tests labs, stress test, ekg, echo....no issues...so I would guess I dont have a metobolic disease
    You don't have metabolic disease. What are you current macros (Protein, Carb, Fat)?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    How long have you given it each time you increased your calories before determining that it does not work? The reason I ask is that there is a period of 'stabilization' that you need to go through.

Also, if you are maintaining on significantly lower calories than the online calculators are telling you then there is two basic reasons for that:

1 - you are eating more than you think
    2 - your metabolism is lower than average, which could be due to a number of reasons, one of which is that it is suppressed due to a long time on a large deficit. (Or your activity levels are being overestimated).

ETA: sorry if I have missed it, but what are the gross calories you are maintaining on now?
  • WandaWoman41
    WandaWoman41 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Have you watched these videos on youtube? Jayme explains the "eat more to weigh less" idea much better than I've ever heard anyone explain it.

Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24Iw1thBlLA&list=PLVwQ7YhTZN0Lc7UEIllW_asNTNVcS71F3

Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypygfB3wKVs&list=PLVwQ7YhTZN0Lc7UEIllW_asNTNVcS71F3

Thank you for the information.
  • watfordjc
    watfordjc Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    When I started here I weighed myself every day for 4 weeks in the morning after going to the loo (i.e. as close conditions as possible) to gauge my average weight fluctuations - about +/- 3 pounds. Anyway...

1) See if changing your exercise routine has any effect (or even taking a week off) - your body may have become accustomed to it and a couple of changes might have an impact.
    2) Try eating at maintenance for a week, calorie cycling, or carb cycling - it may be enough to begin to see losses again when you switch back.
    3) Compare progress photos to 4 weeks before (or take a photo today and one in 4 weeks) - see if the scale and tape measure are currently unreliable for measuring short-term progress.

N.B. I don't know if any of the things my suggestions are based on are just conjecture or have been proven to occur.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    How long have you given it each time you increased your calories before determining that it does not work? The reason I ask is that there is a period of 'stabilization' that you need to go through.

Also, if you are maintaining on significantly lower calories than the online calculators are telling you then there is two basic reasons for that:

1 - you are eating more than you think
    2 - your metabolism is lower than average, which could be due to a number of reasons, one of which is that it is suppressed due to a long time on a large deficit.
    To add to point 2.

That will require a plan in itself to get out of. Instantly shoving ones face with food will not work.
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    At some point is is total BS.
    The key is finding your zone to lose 1 pound of weight per week.
    Too many daft crash dieters are self-sabotaging with extreme diets that usually fail in the end.
    Eat More To Lose simply means eat right, create a slight deficit and give yourself time.
    Don't stifle your metabolism with some absurd crash diet.
    This is not a race.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    This is incorrect. 99% of the people on this site are no way near eating to their TDEE. Once they calculate their TDEE they still won't eat close to it, because they think they will get fat. What they don't understand is that the body is going to normalize at a weight.

However, people panic and they continue down the path of a suppressed metabolism. They then wonder why they don't make any more progress. The goal should be to consume AS much calories as possible, while reaching a healthy fat loss goal.
    Yup. People should go read/watch Layne Norton discuss the subject.

I was thoroughly miserable when I attempted to eating too little so I don't see how people can do it. Having no energy, being easily agitated etc was no way to live.