What has giving up fast food done for you?

Options

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    winner_zpsb178ea6c.gif

Actually it was "Pork Katsu Curry Ramen".. Ramen noodles in curried broth, a katsu pork cutlet, corn, potatoes, carrots, green onions. You can add an egg for $1 more. It is The Bomb

Here's an image, sans egg
    l.jpg

I have a lofty sodium goal of 6000mg these days, and this sort of food helps me hit my target. :bigsmile:
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Ladies and Gentlemen, we have two winners tonight! Anvilhead showed up late, but knocked it out the park with ACTUAL FACTS!!! Took the judges a minute to confirm that facts were indeed allowed on this thread, but it turns out they are, and certain people who shall remain nameless just didn't have any to use. Nice job by you, AH

Want a peer-reviewed scientific study that details exactly how it affects your body instead of a bunch of fear-mongering and broscience? Here you go:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/hormonal-responses-to-a-fast-food-meal-compared-with-nutritionally-comparable-meals-of-different-composition-research-review.html

Here's the commentary from the reviewer at the end:
    This study basically backs up what I’ve been saying for years: a single fast food meal, within the context of a calorie controlled diet, is not death on a plate. It won’t destroy your diet and it won’t make you immediately turn into a big fat pile of blubber. And, frankly, this can be predicted on basic physiology (in terms of nutrient digestion) alone. It’s just nice to see it verified in a controlled setting.

It’s not uncommon for the physique obsessed to literally become social pariahs, afraid to eat out because eating out is somehow defined as ‘unclean’ (never mind that a grilled chicken breast eaten out is fundamentally no different than a grilled chicken breast cooked at home) and fast food is, of course, the death of any diet. This is in addition to the fact that apparently eating fast food makes you morally inferior as well. Well, that’s what bodybuilders and other orthorexics will tell you anyhow.

Except that it’s clearly not. Given caloric control, the body’s response to a given set of nutrients, with the exception of blood lipids would appear to be more determined by the total caloric and macro content of that meal more than the source of the food.

In terms of the hormonal response, clean vs. unclean just doesn’t matter, it’s all about calories and macros.

Which is what I’ve been saying all along.

winner_zpsb178ea6c.gif
  • Kendrazombie
    Kendrazombie Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I never gave it up, still eat it every now and then when I've got a craving. Not eating it every day like I used to is better on my wallet and it's easier to stay within my calorie goal.
  • ElizaRoche
    ElizaRoche Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    and who says ive given up on it?.. I dont eat it often, but whenever I feel like eating a burguer, ill go and have one.. problem solved! :)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    ^This.
    Also...
    o.O ....if you're seriously trying to argue that "healthy" is a relative term....then we have nothing to talk about.

Mind. Blown.

So you're saying healthy is a binary term? You eat fast food = you are unhealthy. You don't eat fast food = you are (maybe) healthy?

Just when I thought this thread couldn't get weirder.

you eat fast food = you are unhealthier than if you ate whole foods. you can argue all you like about how much more unhealthy it is or isn't, but that's it. fast food is still LESS HEALTHY than whole, unprocessed foods.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/822501-halp-my-sandwich-isn-t-clean
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    ^This.
    Also...
    o.O ....if you're seriously trying to argue that "healthy" is a relative term....then we have nothing to talk about.

Mind. Blown.

So you're saying healthy is a binary term? You eat fast food = you are unhealthy. You don't eat fast food = you are (maybe) healthy?

Just when I thought this thread couldn't get weirder.

Foods do things to you when they enter your body. Some foods do good things and some foods do bad things. Some foods do a little of both. But they affect you in a definite way, not subject to how you think or feel about it.

huh?
  • juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    When I try to eat fries, greasy food etc now that I haven't eaten much of it in sevearl years- I end up with a horribly stomach ache and end up in the rest room the rest of the day. Also, my skin is clear and healthy. Middle of winter and I don't have to use lotion. Why? My fats come from almonds, avocado, etc instead of the drive-thru.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Pulled pork and sweet potato fries are a bad choice
    I guess I give up here. Enjoy your elitely healthy lifestyle.
    I just got to the ramen place. I am going to enjoy some tonkatsu.

You don't know how much I hate you right now....so jealous of your tonkatsu. :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

Actually it was "Pork Katsu Curry Ramen".. Ramen noodles in curried broth, a katsu pork cutlet, corn, potatoes, carrots, green onions. You can add an egg for $1 more. It is The Bomb

I have a lofty sodium goal of 6000mg these days, and this sort of food helps me hit my target. :bigsmile:

Tonkatsu is pork cutlet. Ton means pork.

And yes...I hate you more because you just put up a picture. -.-
    :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

Your comments just led me to google a few things, and for the very first time I learned that tonkatsu and tonkotsu are 2 entirely different things. :blushing:

This explains a lot. I've been very confused the times when I ordered "tonkotsu" and expecting the fried pork, but it actually comes with sliced (roasted?) pork.

I finally understand.

Well at least this thread was good for something. :drinker: :flowerforyou:

No..kotsu doesn't mean roasted. Usually means like secret, knack or skill - something along the lines. BUT, tonkotsu is pork belly and bones simmered with miso, sake and veggies.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Pulled pork and sweet potato fries are a bad choice

You don't know how much I hate you right now....so jealous of your tonkatsu. :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

Tonkatsu is pork cutlet. Ton means pork.

And yes...I hate you more because you just put up a picture. -.-
    :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

Your comments just led me to google a few things, and for the very first time I learned that tonkatsu and tonkotsu are 2 entirely different things. :blushing:

This explains a lot. I've been very confused the times when I ordered "tonkotsu" and expecting the fried pork, but it actually comes with sliced (roasted?) pork.

I finally understand.

Well at least this thread was good for something. :drinker: :flowerforyou:

No..kotsu doesn't mean roasted. Usually means like secret, knack or skill - something along the lines. BUT, tonkotsu is pork belly and bones simmered with miso, sake and veggies.

Yes I knew it was the pork bone broth. But I was always confused how it meant both "delicious pork broth" and "fried pork cutlet", until earlier this evening when I learned they are 2 different things with 2 different spellings.

So I guess the sliced port in a tonkotsu ramen is optional? At the few places I've been Tonkotsu ramen seems to be with sliced pork. But as we have established, I can't really read gud.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Pulled pork and sweet potato fries are a bad choice?

l.jpg

OMG HNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGgggggg!!! ^^ wood eat that NOW.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    the best advice i have is to learn everything you can about what goes into fast food and how it affects your body. totally grossed me out and turned me off the stuff.
    Want a peer-reviewed scientific study that details exactly how it affects your body instead of a bunch of fear-mongering and broscience? Here you go:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/hormonal-responses-to-a-fast-food-meal-compared-with-nutritionally-comparable-meals-of-different-composition-research-review.html

Here's the commentary from the reviewer at the end:
    This study basically backs up what I’ve been saying for years: a single fast food meal, within the context of a calorie controlled diet, is not death on a plate. It won’t destroy your diet and it won’t make you immediately turn into a big fat pile of blubber. And, frankly, this can be predicted on basic physiology (in terms of nutrient digestion) alone. It’s just nice to see it verified in a controlled setting.

It’s not uncommon for the physique obsessed to literally become social pariahs, afraid to eat out because eating out is somehow defined as ‘unclean’ (never mind that a grilled chicken breast eaten out is fundamentally no different than a grilled chicken breast cooked at home) and fast food is, of course, the death of any diet. This is in addition to the fact that apparently eating fast food makes you morally inferior as well. Well, that’s what bodybuilders and other orthorexics will tell you anyhow.

Except that it’s clearly not. Given caloric control, the body’s response to a given set of nutrients, with the exception of blood lipids would appear to be more determined by the total caloric and macro content of that meal more than the source of the food.

In terms of the hormonal response, clean vs. unclean just doesn’t matter, it’s all about calories and macros.

Which is what I’ve been saying all along.

Good post. Oddly enough I just posted the same review on facebook because all I do is argue on the internet instead of lift.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Yes I knew it was the pork bone broth. But I was always confused how it meant both "delicious pork broth" and "fried pork cutlet", until earlier this evening when I learned they are 2 different things with 2 different spellings.

So I guess the sliced port in a tonkotsu ramen is optional? At the few places I've been Tonkotsu ramen seems to be with sliced pork. But as we have established, I can't really read gud.

No it isn't optional. Another thing is that the pork is part of how ramen is made in a sense. Trying to figure out how to put it. Real ramen (not the cup of noodle stuff) isn't just decorated with slices of pork or green onions, etc....they all have a "meaning" - to balance with the noodles and the broth brings it all together. So the dish you are getting requires the pork slices :)
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Good post. Oddly enough I just posted the same review on facebook because all I do is argue on the internet instead of lift.
    Ignorance and dogma dies hard. Too many people eager to spout myths and old wives' tales rather than doing some research to see if there's any credibility to them.
  • syrklc
    syrklc Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Fast food makes me sick .. I feel blessed ;)
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Fast food makes me so sick. I used to eat it anyway and then sit in the bathroom and wonder what possessed me to eat that stuff.

I gave it up completely almost 3 years ago. I don't miss it at all. I do admit that the convenience of it is the only thing I DO miss. I try and make sure I have a protein bar in my purse or car along with some snacks just in case. I also try and make sure I plan out my meals - then when I'm sitting at a stop light and am starting to think I can have fast food JUST THIS ONE TIME without getting sick, I think about what I have planned at home instead.
  • oneworkoutatatime
    Options
    I haven't given up fast food , just the unhealthy options:

I get grilled chicken salads from Wendy's and Mcdonald's.
    I get Griield chicken sandwhiches at Potbelly's.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    I like to cook fresh food. The majority of it is free-range and 'clean'.

Here is an example of something I've cooked:

8296656206_bf9934ee23_z.jpg

Here is the body it gave me:

8147291188_94f2d61730_z.jpg

You can't tell me I'm 'healthier' than someone like Dave who has lost a bunch of weight eating 'fast'.
  • twentytwelve12
    twentytwelve12 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Used to eat fast food all the time, but now I can't stand it. Makes me feel sick.
  • Louisianababy93
    Louisianababy93 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    it's been two days.. i dont know yet.
  • MochaMixAZ
    MochaMixAZ Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    While I don't believe fast food is innately evil, I have found that giving up has helped me succeed in striving for a healthier lifestyle. There are a few reasons why:

- fastfood was a mindset for me that I needed to break. Planning, counting calories, and making food at home has become an important ritual and keeps me mindful
    - the salt, extra fat, and my mandatory Diet Coke sparks a downward spiral for me. It's an addiction for me, and I can't "have just one." In this realm, moderation doesn't work for me - only abstinence.
    - the smell... I still love it. When I'm around it, it makes me want it more. And more, And more.
    - it starts me thinking of all the other things that used to go with my fast food runs. A stressful, crazy job. An ugly relationship. Lots of overeating. Lower self-esteem. Why go there?
    - when I do indulge, I don't like how it makes me feel. Because moderation isn't my strength, I don't stop when I'm full... and if I PAID for the meal, I'm going to EAT the entire MEAL. Afterwards, I feel sluggish and bloated and just want to go lie on the couch and watch tv.
    - fast food, and restaurants in general, kinda freak me out. I've seen the kitchens, know a few people who work in those kitchens, and have seen first-hand their practices. I do enjoy a meal out on occasion, but I seek out restaurants where I have researched their practices or, in some cases, have actually asked to see their kitchens. A little mad, maybe... but... it has REALLY opened my eyes and closed my mouth.

So that's my extreme plan - total avoidance. Some will say it's not sustainable or realistic, but it has been for me for the last ten years.