Lance Armstrong admits to cheating.

Options
1151617181921»

Replies

• thomasxaviersayles
    Options
    Your conclusion that he admitting to cheating is not borne out by any evidence, choosing not to continue the expensive legal fight is not admitting to anything. I think you need to check your logic, it is faulty. In fact, the 500 tests that returned negative is evidence of innocence not guilt.
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    *facepalm*
  • kjjbean
    kjjbean Posts: 23 Member
    Options

How can he still not be inspiring? People need to have a serious reality check on the amount of performance enhancing drugs being used.

my thoughts exactly...

Because he's a liar and a cheat.

You can't be that big of a clean cut hero and expect to only partially lose credibility when the truth comes out.

He was a hero for more than just his cycling, it was the whole package. That has been proven to be broken so faith in him is lost.

yup. and as was pointed out, the guy didn't just use. he was the cycling kingpin of doping, according to 30 people's sworn testimony. and it's already been known through his entire career that he was one of the sport's biggest bullies.

he's done a lot of good. but that good was able to happen because of him winning. he got contracts because he won. he got donations because he won. you can't have one without the other. so good deeds don't get this guy a pass.

I wonder what kind of deal the 30 people who gave sworn testimony got. I don't agree with doping by any stretch but they all did it (do it) and no ones arm was twisted. The fact that it took 12 years to (sort of) pin it on him seems more like a witch hunt then a search for the truth...Yes he's a smug b***tard but he has done a lot for the sport and a lot for cancer research. Not saying its right , its not that b&w either
  • midschool22
    midschool22 Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    The UCI handed down a lifetime ban today. Oakley drops him as a sponsor.
  • AngryDiet
    Options
    Gotta love the picture Routers chose for their article on the UCI action:

?m=02&d=20121022&t=2&i=666046877&w=450&fh=&fw=&ll=&pl=&r=CBRE89L15VV00.jpg
  • AngryDiet
    Options
    The Reuters article:

http://ca.reuters.com/article/sportsNews/idCABRE89L0HC20121022

Looks like the IOC is considering stripping his 2000 bronze medal as well.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    this will be a trick question for trivia in a few years.

Q: How many Tours did Lance Armstrong win.

A: 0

if he wasnt such a smug jerk to so many people he'd probably have a lot more people on his side now. my guess is he will be one of the few fallen heros that does not get redemption because he's such a jerk.
  • jesse1379
    jesse1379 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    If you took all of the people out of professional sports that doped...you would probably have a couple left.
  • txdahl
    txdahl Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    He has been stripped of all Tour de France titles, been banned from ever competing again and has never admitted to cheating.

The sad thing about this is that his cycling success had helped to bring success in his Livestrong charity against cancer. I hope for those that are affected by cancer and are/were benefiting in any way from his charity it continues to stay strong.

Did he do it? I don't really care, if so then he is just one of the hundreds that did but one of the few that got caught. I have to go back and think.....if it sounds too good to be true it usually is. There is a reason no one had, until now won seven Tour de France races.
  • AngryDiet
    Options
    The sad thing about this is that his cycling success had helped to bring success in his Livestrong charity against cancer. I hope for those that are affected by cancer and are/were benefiting in any way from his charity it continues to stay strong.
    Myth: Lance Armstrong has raised $500 million for cancer research.

Fact: According Gifford’s investigative piece, LiveStrong — the foundation Armstrong helped to establish after suffering testicular cancer — donated only $20 million to cancer research between 1998 and 2005. In 2005, LiveStrong began phasing out its research donation, and since 2010 the charity no longer accepts applications for research grants.

Instead, the lion’s share of the funds raised by LiveStrong, according to Gifford, have gone to fuzzier assistance programs, like “survivorship” and “global awareness,” and for the worthy cause of helping victims in the U.S. negotiate the thickets of the medieval American health-care system, where the simple and effective Canadian-style Medicare system is rejected for the greater profit of insurance companies, drug companies, private hospitals and doctors.

What is more troublesome is that there are two parallel organizations here: Livestrong.org, the charity, and the parallel Livestrong.com, a for-profit entity. And the myth that the charity provides funding for cancer research persists, even though LiveStrong’s own website makes it clear the charity is not in the research business.

Read more: http://www.montrealgazette.com/health/Jack+Todd+myths+persist+about+Lance+Armstrong/7424086/story.html#ixzz2A4Rc3zMw

Thought it was interesting.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    Those who are badmouthing Livestong, have you actually DEALT with cancer and Livestrong? Or is just some organization with the yellow bracelettes and merchandise to you?

When I was diagnosed with cancer last year I was lost. My family doctor didn't know the answers to my questions and passed me along. Do you talk to an oncologist? Surgeon? Endocronolgist? WHO? They all passed the buck just to focus on their little part of the process. Do you talk to all of them? Who do you see first? What about insurance? Available options? I can't tell you how many quesitons there are on top of the stress of just having cancer.

I searched the internet and all you get is crap and horror stories about people who died or all the worst case scenarios. Nothing about the process or even the first step to getting cured.

I called all the "help lines" from cancer institues and even the ACS. They were WORTHLESS and NO help...

But I called/signed up with Livestrong. Withing a WEEK, they sent me a giant package of materials to help track my treatment and recovery. Provided tons of resources and people to contact. A journal to help with my journey to recovery and yes, the yellow bracelette. A couple days later, I was assigned a personal "assistant" to assist in my case via email and they contacted me to check on me and see if they could provide additional help or answer any more questions.

I got NOTHING like that from any other resource. The reason Livestrong does that, is because Lance went through the same questions and found zero answers without a lot of work on his own and didn't want other cancer patients to go through that same thing - a void of information.

I will tell ANYONE to go to Livestrong if they are looking for support and help - not to mention the research they fund.

If anyone wants to try and tear down a wonderful organization just because it's founder used PHD's in the PHD era? I'm not listening.

This was written by another friend of mine in another forum.

The worst thing about all of this, is that Livestrong will most likely not live through it.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Why is the only sports cheat that tried to use his wins to help people the one that gets the biggest backlash? Merriman was a pro-bowler 4 months after he got busted. Giambi is about to become the manager of Colorado. Palmeiro lied to congress under oath. Even A-Rod, who has no love from anyone, gets to keep his 300 mil contract. Yet they go after Lance like he beats kids with baby seals. Does anyone even care about cycling other than 1 race a year?
  • midschool22
    Options
    I do.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    Why is the only sports cheat that tried to use his wins to help people the one that gets the biggest backlash? Merriman was a pro-bowler 4 months after he got busted. Giambi is about to become the manager of Colorado. Palmeiro lied to congress under oath. Even A-Rod, who has no love from anyone, gets to keep his 300 mil contract. Yet they go after Lance like he beats kids with baby seals. Does anyone even care about cycling other than 1 race a year?

didnt Roger Clemens get in a little trouble with congress? ever hear of Barry Bonds? Merriman has used his fame to help the poor. so keep throwing names out there...
  • midschool22
    Options
    Got mine. :bigsmile:

Doperssuck.com

usps_zps21235ef5.jpg
  • AngryDiet
    Options
    Now they've taken his keys away.

OK, just the one key, but it's to a whole city!

http://www.news.com.au/sport/more-sport/armstrong-set-to-lose-key-to-city/story-fndukor0-1226506536024

But far worse than that,
    Fellow key recipient Cher this year attempted to sell her key to the city on eBay.

Oh, that Cher!
  • whiskeycharged
    whiskeycharged Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    bump
  • RideaYeti
    RideaYeti Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    This is an amazing interview of Stuart Scott from ESPN who is fighting cancer. I challenge everyone to listen to it.

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=8848997

One of the great points is where Stuart Scott mentions being upset you were "conned into donating money to Livestrong because the guy cheated, where is your focus? That you've been conned? You still donated money to an organization that's helping people fighting cancer."