DUMBEST thing you ever believed

Options

Replies

• deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    In first grade, there was one day a week that was "catchup day". I always wondered why we never had ketchup on ketchup day, and why the discrimination, we never ever had mustard day.
  • LMT2012
    LMT2012 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    When I was little girl, I thought the moon was following me everywhere. We were on a car trip and every time I looked out the window, there it was! I was sure it was a sign that I was going to turn into a werewolf! I finally became so worried, I mentioned the stalking moon to my father, who assured me that since the moon was so high up in the sky...it appeared to be following everybody!

I just wrote a poem about this childhood belief!!!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    That all those dead pets really had gone to live on a farm...
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    That white rice was actually maggots in a bowl. Didn't eat rice for 25 years after that.

Thanks, big sis.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Oh, and my cousin told me that Death was a skeleton, so I thought that if I ever saw a skeleton I'd die. I had to get people to go ahead of me in museums and warn me if there were any up ahead so I could close my eyes!
  • gailmelanie
    gailmelanie Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    That getting hooked on drugs involved a literal hook.
    I think we need to perpetuate this myth. Might deter some from getting hooked.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    The blinking red lights on radio towers were Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer and his offspring who inherited his genetic quirk.
  • helenoftroy1
    helenoftroy1 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    up until I was like 18 I believed modest meant big headed, because my parents used to say "oh aren't you modest" when I was blatantly being big headed. Way to mess a kid up! How I was I to know what irony is!
    It was embarrassing when I accused someone of being modest let's put it that way.
  • blueyegrl
    blueyegrl Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I just remembered another one. My mom swore I had a twin brother she gave away at birth. This myth started when she was pregnant with my sister (I was 9). I would actually cry, and get all upset, and then she would say she was kidding, and then a few weeks/months later she would say "Oh, I wonder how your twin is doing". My family is highly dysfunctional. LOL
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    I am very gullible and will believe most things ........... like when my 'x' husband (then my boyfriend) told me those little raised squares on the highway were like brail for blind drivers. They can "feel" them on the tires and know where to drive.

Yup. I believed it........................

50135817_aboutus.jpg
  • n2thenight24
    n2thenight24 Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    When I was little girl, I thought the moon was following me everywhere. We were on a car trip and every time I looked out the window, there it was! I was sure it was a sign that I was going to turn into a werewolf! I finally became so worried, I mentioned the stalking moon to my father, who assured me that since the moon was so high up in the sky...it appeared to be following everybody!

I just wrote a poem about this childhood belief!!!

My kids think that!!! I've always just told them that it's because they are so special that the moon is there specifically to watch over them and keep them safe.
  • LoveTexas
    Options
    That the Cowboys were good.
  • Oh_Em_Jayyy
    Oh_Em_Jayyy Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    That the crust of the bread was the most nutritious part, much like the peel of an apple or other vegetable/fruit. Didn't realize till I was in my 20s that all parts of bread were the same, the crust was just the outermost part -_-
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options
    That Bolivia was in South America. Geography fail.
  • kimbly71
    kimbly71 Posts: 188
    Options
    That Bolivia was in South America. Geography fail.

I honestly thought that Washington DC and Washington state were the same place. Ridiculous! I suppose it is a good thing that I can laugh at myself. :ohwell:
  • MystikPixie
    MystikPixie Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    That I wouldnt be alone.
  • Mandybean88
    Options
    When I was about 5, my dad told me that he was Batman and went out at night fighting crime... I thoroughly believed him and went to school the next day and told all the children in my class and my teachers!
  • OutsideCreativ
    OutsideCreativ Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    You know how school buses have to stop before railroad tracks to listen? I always thought they stopped ON the tracks... I was very confused as to why they wouldn't just drive right through instead of stopping on the tracks to listen.
  • BamBam125
    BamBam125 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I just remembered another one. My mom swore I had a twin brother she gave away at birth. This myth started when she was pregnant with my sister (I was 9). I would actually cry, and get all upset, and then she would say she was kidding, and then a few weeks/months later she would say "Oh, I wonder how your twin is doing". My family is highly dysfunctional. LOL

My parents did something similar. A lot of my school and day care friends and a number of the neighbors had step parents due to divorce and remarriage. Apparently my parents used to tease about how "sad it was that I only had 1 mommy and 1 daddy" whereas everyone else had 2 of each. They managed to reduce me to tears on many occasions about how tragic it was that I didn't have any step parents. I don't remember it, but I don't doubt that they did this. It's mean but sort of funny to think about it.

As for the missing sibling prank, my folks didn't do that, but apparently my husband and his younger brother did this to their youngest brother all the time. They told of how they "lost" many a brother to tragedies like the lawn mower blade, the creek, the big tree, the creepy neighbor and the like. They were sneaky too, telling the youngest how he shouldn't mention "George, Danny, Sam, etc" to their Mom because it would make her cry to think about it. She didn't learn about her sons' antics for years... Now she laughs when she hears about it.
  • n2thenight24
    n2thenight24 Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    Oh! I also believed that there were people in towers that controlled all the traffic lights.