it's 2013, why are women playing mother to their husbands?

Options

Replies

• RushBabe214
    RushBabe214 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Sounds like some man-hating feminist bullshyt to me.

I do the cooking in our house. I do not equate that to "mothering" my husband and neither does he.

:noway:
  • larryfolkner
    Options
    Wife wont let me in the kitchen when I am home. If I want something she makes it for me. I usually get home 30-45 days in the year. My kids eat what she makes. If I want something different you can be damn sure I am getting it. I pay the bills do all the heavy lifting and kill the spiders.
  • Sballard418
    Sballard418 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Since starting this weight loss journey, I have started to cook for both my husband and daughter then a meal for me. It really has never bothered me. Why? Because my husband works waaay harder then I ever will have to, he's a picky eater and he's old enough not have to be bullied in to a meal. Do I feel degraded because I make two meals....NO. Because if I wasn't on this journey than I'd be eating the same food that they are. It was MY choice to do this. They don't want to eat chicken and veggies every day. Heck I don't want to eat chicken and veggies ever day. But I do.

He can cook. He sometimes cooks me dinner if I ask him to, but if I was in a hot attic for 12 hours in the middle of summer I wouldn't want to come home and cook for a wife who had been at home doing (nothing, compared to what he does) all day.

I find joy in cooking for my family and seeing them enjoy it.
  • Sballard418
    Sballard418 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Wife wont let me in the kitchen when I am home. If I want something she makes it for me. I usually get home 30-45 days in the year. My kids eat what she makes. If I want something different you can be damn sure I am getting it. I pay the bills do all the heavy lifting and kill the spiders.

^^^ This, My husband also deserves it. No sexism involved. If something goes wrong with the washer or dryer or the truck do you think he makes me go out and fix it PFFFFT heck no
  • TomKat428
    Options
    :shrug: different people are brought up with different family dynamics. And not every woman does it because she's supposed to be subservient to her husband. Maybe they just adore their husbands and want to make them happy, and they do that by cooking meals that their husbands like. Maybe that's their love language. Hopefully the husbands appreciate it and express that, or do other things to help out around the house so duties are more evenly distributed. Either way, it's none of my business. If women do slave away for their husbands and resent it, I hope they can find a way to communicate and turn things around.

Cooking separate meals for your kids is a whole other ball game. I'll just keep my mouth shut on this one :)
  • TomKat428
    Options

^^^ This, My husband also deserves it. No sexism involved. If something goes wrong with the washer or dryer or the truck do you think he makes me go out and fix it PFFFFT heck no

Exactly! It's all give and take. Just because a woman cooks for her man, doesn't mean he's a lazy slob. Far from it, in most cases I've seen.
  • ToFatToBeSick
    Options
    Why I take care of my man.

1. I love him.
    2. He works all day.
    3. When he's happy I'm happy and vice versa.
    4. It's about give and take.
    5. He appreciates everything I do and makes it very obvious by telling me how much I matter and how thankful he is.
  • jezzi16
    jezzi16 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Why don't you work on making that bed before posting your messy house all over the interwebz and we'll worry about our households. :bigsmile:
  • TomKat428
    Options
    Look, feminism is about having the CHOICE to play traditional roles or not. It is not a rejection of all things done in the home by a woman.

A married couple is tasked with caring for one another. It is up to each couple to decide how to do this, according to one another strengths and weaknesses; it should have nothing to do with traditional gender roles. It is not wrong for a woman to cook and a man to install gutters, any more than the reverse is wrong.

:love: :flowerforyou:
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I know how to cook. Actually I'm a damn good cook. Problem is, I'm usually hanging drywall, putting up trim boards, installing new windows or doors, replacing parts on the car / truck / tractor / 4-wheeler or motorcycles. Plowing or shoveling the driveway, planting or working in the garden, tending to the chickens etc. etc. etc.

Oh, yeah, I actually work 8 hours a day outside of the house, while she works 6. I'm on a couple of local "Boards".

On top of that, I'm trying to get in a good hour of cardio or weight lifting.

I'll get right on fixing dinner dearie - late night dinner anyone? I'll fix up some of the wild venison, rabbit, turkey, fish etc. that I brought home.

Actually we are both grown ups and we divvy up the work pretty evenly. But thanks for the concern.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Who are you even directing this toward?

I think I know a situation that this is directed at. My sister makes food for her and her husband. She also makes something different for her two boys who are 6 and 3 (mostly chicken strips or some variation) and sometimes a different meal for her and her husband.

She is a stay at home mom and pretty much does all of the family cooking and care.

My opinion? Quite accommodating to both kids and spouse. The kids need to be introduced to new foods or they will never find anything that they like. That is under mom's control as she is the one cooking for them. As far as her husband, she needs to tell him what she is planning on making. Sure, be somewhat considerate, but he's a grown man and shouldn't expect her to make whatever he wants whenever he wants it. It is downright sad.

My wife and I mostly cook separate. We have enough differences in what we like to eat that it makes sense. She will tell me though, "I'm making swordfish tomorrow so you are on your own." It works amazingly well.

I agree. If children are not exposed to different foods, then they won't ever learn to like them. We do not have a clean plate policy, but everyone is required to try a bite of something they don't think they will like. It works, in our case...my 7 and 10 year old boys would eat anything that you put in front of them (they LOVE broccoli, brussels sprouts and even asparagus!!).

Still working on my daughter and fish, but to her, it is a texture thing. LOL. She isn't big on meat.

I'm going to just go ahead and disagree with this. I don't know a single 40 year old who will only eat cut up hot dogs or chicken nuggets. I don't know any college kids who still need Mommy to make them cut up hot dogs or chicken nuggets.

Kids do grow out of their culinary idiosyncrasies. My kids have a varied diet, yes. But if one of them really wants a cut up hot dog for dinner or the 59th cheeseburger of the month, then what trouble is it for me really to make it for them? It isn't much. So long as they get the right nutrient balance overall, are growing, are at a healthy weight and don't get sick so often, I am doing my job as a parent.

And if my husband wants a piece of fish when everyone else wants pork tenderloin, is it so much effort for me to put a piece of fish in the oven at the same time as the pork? How much time does that take? Between 2 and 5 minutes of extra prep time. I've checked. He's a good man who does a lot for me and the family. He even cooks when he wants to or I ask him to. But I like to cook for the family, so I do it more.

Some kids will eat different things earlier than others. It doesn't make one kid better than another, and it doesn't make one parent better than another.
  • wrotruck
    wrotruck Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    OP - I showed your post to my wife and she thanks you for the laugh.

She then turned to me and told me to stay the heck away from HER kitchen! Can I cook? I think so. She disagrees.

We used to fight about it but after 13 years there are just other hills for me to die on...
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    I'm going to assume you don't have kids and you're not married.

This! My husband cooks, I cook. I have one kid that is super picky and another that is not. We raised them the same way. It is just life. I also like to cook something for my family. It makes me feel good. It is the same for them. We know what year it is.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    My husband does most of the cooking.

He loves to cook, I like his cooking, our kids eat healthy and everyone's happy.
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    Is my breakfast ready yet? And no, I don't want that frufru crap you had.

I just love you so hard.:heart:
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Is my breakfast ready yet? And no, I don't want that frufru crap you had.

I just love you so hard.:heart:

Don't believe her hoss! I've seen this act. Women burn their husbands meals and feed them frufru crap saying "I just love you". BS! Get me a nice warm omelette!

*its sad I have to mention this but this is just a joke between friends*
  • SNorris01
    SNorris01 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I do most of the cooking and I make 3 different things. I cook for the son he likes only like 4 things so his is first. In the mean time, I start to prepare mine. Mine takes the longest and most involved then when mine is to the point where I can start her dinner I will do hers. Some times she does her own if she wants something quick she will start it, but a lot of the time I will finish cooking hers. If she cooks her own we tend to get into each others way in the kitchen so it is easier for me to do hers as well. She and I eat healthy where my son since he is 4 we don't count his calories if we get him to eat a balanced meal we are good.
  • ToBeCountry
    ToBeCountry Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I make one meal and if he isn't home he heats it up later on.

What I do too.
  • HotrodsGirl0107
    HotrodsGirl0107 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't be fair if I restricted my families choice of food because I have specific dietary restrictions due to medical issues. Sorry I can't be selfish like some women. I do most of the cooking. If he is home he assists me but even he doesn't I will cook for both of us and a lot of times it ends up being two meals. I can't eat red meat but I won't deny him a hamburger. I don't know, it has worked for 7 years. Why do care anyway? What I cook in my home really shouldn't matter to you.
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I'll tell you what. Just in this thread alone, there are some amazing domesticated husbands on here! :flowerforyou:

In my house, we split chores as we both have full-time crazy jobs, and 3 kids under 4. He does the tasks he's good at, I do the tasks I'm good at.