For Vegans / Vegetarians only.

Options

Replies

• angelsb0nes
    angelsb0nes Posts: 17 Member
    Options

Jesus Christ...does Tofu make people unable to comprehend plain English? Reread my post, and you will realize that none of the people you listed meet my criteria.

Correct me if I'm wrong. Doesn't being superior at anything involve more than just diet? I think you're just frustrating yourself expecting an answer you know probably doesn't exist, if you have such expertise. A lot of people succeed immensely on a vegan diet. A lot of people succeed otherwise.

ps-I'm vegan, but because of medical/ethical reasons. I personally feel better this way. Doesn't mean everyone does.

Yes, of course it does. However, the OP is arguing that Vegan is 'superior', which it clearly is not...either that, or Vegans just suck at life. I prefer to think it's the diet holding them back from the physical greatness that those who have gone before them have accomplished while consuming all manner of animal products.
    There are more things to be superior in than just physical competitions. You really need to calm down and open your eyes. Holding a world strength record doesn't make you "the best human being on the planet". For all you know there could be people who are more physically superior who don't compete. And there are other areas to be superior in.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    It seems like trolling- meat eater ranting in favor of vegetarianism.... Delves into misogyny.... But he put in a lot of energy into it....like more than your average troll.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    There are more things to be superior in than just physical competitions. You really need to calm down and open your eyes. Holding a world strength record doesn't make you "the best human being on the planet". For all you know there could be people who are more physically superior who don't compete. And there are other areas to be superior in.

I am not the one claiming that a specific diet is the way humans were meant to eat either. However, the OP (as well as many of Veganism's proponents) have tried to do just that. Since all of the getting slapped down by evolutionary science hasn't slowed their roll, about the only thing left to do is point out the obvious, which is what I have been doing.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

I am not the one claiming that a specific diet is the way humans were meant to eat either. However, the OP (as well as many of Veganism's proponents) have tried to do just that. Since all of the getting slapped down by evolutionary science hasn't slowed their roll, about the only thing left to do is point out the obvious, which is what I have been doing.

successfully, I might add.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

Have to chime in that many vegans are also completely uninterested in whose diet is superior but rather in defending that it is adequate. I don't need my diet or health to be better than someone else's, just healthy enough for me to get by. I don't in the end care if we are "designed" to eat meat because of B-12 (even though I think that's a misconception) because I live in the modern age and don't have to worry about that.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I'm veg, but I'm also a biologist. We are designed to be omnivores as are bears and dogs. Cats are obligate carnivores so they do not fit into your argument. I don't eat meat because I view is as something unnecessary and I'm trying to lower my carbon foot print. I still wear leather and I still feed my cat meat and, yes, I am perfectly aware of where those products come from.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    Have to chime in that many vegans are also completely uninterested in whose diet is superior but rather in defending that it is adequate. I don't need my diet or health to be better than someone else's, just healthy enough for me to get by. I don't in the end care if we are "designed" to eat meat because of B-12 (even though I think that's a misconception) because I live in the modern age and don't have to worry about that.

And that is obviously just fine. I have never had any kind of quarrel with people who take up the lifestyle for moral reasons (though I will occasionally poke holes in their sails). As I stated, my problem is with all of the 'meat will kill you', 'humans are herbivores', 'being a Vegan can cure everything but AIDS' crap that I see bandied around.

I will admit, I pose one of the few questions that Vegans can only make excuses for, but not truly answer. That is obviously by design. If you can't answer why people on such a diet aren't completely wrecking **** in the strength world, then you definitely can't claim that it's a superior diet. Why? Because food makes the body function. If the bodies of an entire group are functioning at a lesser level than those in another dietary group, it should tell you something.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Another long-term veg here to appeal to rationality- this thread is outright nonsense and I find it offensive that the OP initially implied that he was a veg*n when really his message is totally hypocritical. What everybody chooses to eat or not eat is their own choice. No long term vegetarians get to that point without a strong moral or ethical conviction. None of the evolutionary or health claims hold any water against a whole-foods based, diverse omnivorous diet, and anyone who switches to veg*nism with those ideals will eventually realize that they can get all the same benefits without being strictly veg*n. It comes down to the moral and ethical motives, period. I did not elect you to speak for me. Stop the preaching, please, it makes veg*ns look like irrational idiots.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I'm veg, but I'm also a biologist. We are designed to be omnivores as are bears and dogs. Cats are obligate carnivores so they do not fit into your argument. I don't eat meat because I view is as something unnecessary and I'm trying to lower my carbon foot print. I still wear leather and I still feed my cat meat and, yes, I am perfectly aware of where those products come from.

Thank you :flowerforyou:

Especially for feeding your cat meat because I've heard a few stories from various sources (vets, vet techs, random people) about people who try to turn their cats vegan. Not good. :(
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options

Especially for feeding your cat meat because I've heard a few stories from various sources (vets, vet techs, random people) about people who try to turn their cats vegan. Not good. :(

Are you serious? People try to turn their cats Vegan? Do I even dare Google this subject? O_O

That's just....cruel. This is coming from the guy who used to hate cats, until I owned one from a kitten and realized that they are actually pretty badass if you play with them all of the time to keep them from turning into lazy sacks of ****.
  • FlaxMilk
    Options

And that is obviously just fine. I have never had any kind of quarrel with people who take up the lifestyle for moral reasons (though I will occasionally poke holes in their sails). As I stated, my problem is with all of the 'meat will kill you', 'humans are herbivores', 'being a Vegan can cure everything but AIDS' crap that I see bandied around.

I will admit, I pose one of the few questions that Vegans can only make excuses for, but not truly answer. That is obviously by design. If you can't answer why people on such a diet aren't completely wrecking **** in the strength world, then you definitely can't claim that it's a superior diet. Why? Because food makes the body function. If the bodies of an entire group are functioning at a lesser level than those in another dietary group, it should tell you something.

Yes, I wasn't taking it personally, just chiming in to balance out those "many proponents of veganism" since I'd wager there are an awful lot of us who care more about our diet being adequately healthy than being superior.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    Yes, I wasn't taking it personally, just chiming in to balance out those "many proponents of veganism" since I'd wager there are an awful lot of us who care more about our diet being adequately healthy than being superior.

I am sure you're right. In fact, that seems to be a common theme among most people, and to my knowledge, has been for a long time. Most are okay with adequate, average, normal, or whatever you want to call it. I don't get it, but that really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. In all fairness, I've always had a 'be the best or gtfo' type of attitude. ^_^
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Are you serious? People try to turn their cats Vegan? Do I even dare Google this subject? O_O

That's just....cruel. This is coming from the guy who used to hate cats, until I owned one from a kitten and realized that they are actually pretty badass if you play with them all of the time to keep them from turning into lazy sacks of ****.

Yep. Very serious.
  • FlaxMilk
    Options

I am sure you're right. In fact, that seems to be a common theme among most people, and to my knowledge, has been for a long time. Most are okay with adequate, average, normal, or whatever you want to call it. I don't get it, but that really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. In all fairness, I've always had a 'be the best or gtfo' type of attitude. ^_^

For me, it's a matter of which is more important. My convictions are stronger on this issue than any need for physical superiority or even greatness. If it were the other way around, I'd actually be drawn to a Paleo diet from what I can tell. (This is not to say that I don't believe vegans can achieve great athleticism or physicality, just that for me, I'm so neutral on the topic that I can't be bothered to research it and debate it one way or the other. I'm more here to add another perspective to the topic, not win a point.)
  • Babeskeez
    Babeskeez Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    troll....troll....troll your boat.

This. THIS!!!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options

Yep. Very serious.

I have no words for the garbage I found upon Googleing this subject....well, after I got past the first few links that were justifiably berating people who tried to do so. At least the woman writing this article is logical.

http://www.catster.com/lifestyle/vegan-cat-owners-tips
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options

Well.... Like I said earlier, I recognize that vegetarianism in terms of lifting weights and hitting macros may not be the easiest or the ideal path. I have chosen this path for reasons not having to do with my fitness goals. In my larger life goals, this fits. And while it may be a slight set back in terms of fitness goals, it certainly is not an impossibility for me to be what I want to be while also being vegetarian.
  • Admiral_Derp
    Admiral_Derp Posts: 866 Member
    Options

Well.... Like I said earlier, I recognize that vegetarianism in terms of lifting weights and hitting macros may not be the easiest or the ideal path. I have chosen this path for reasons not having to do with my fitness goals. In my larger life goals, this fits. And while it may be a slight set back in terms of fitness goals, it certainly is not an impossibility for me to be what I want to be while also being vegetarian.

From the looks of it, it hasn't slowed you down any!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options

Precisely, and from what I have seen, you are doing quite well. You also acknowledge that it is a more difficult path, which also rebuts the 'ideal' diet part of the Vegan argument. Everything that I have tossed out here was to show that it isn't 'optimal', not that it isn't doable. You and Sara (and others here that I am not familiar enough with to mention) are both proof that good things can be accomplished even with a vegetarian diet. I was never debating that. :)

Could you be further along if you ate meat? Maybe. Would it be worth the kick in the teeth to how you feel about yourself? Of course not. At the end of the day, it's all about each individual's self image, and where they want to be.

To be totally honest, I am hoping that a Vegan lifter can crack a few world records one day. I like it when decades of evidence are proven wrong. That being said, I don't expect it to happen, which would be why we are starting to see stuff like Vegan powerlifting federations popping up. Most of them who really do the work and aren't just cheerleaders know that they can't really compete with the animal fed, and have just decided to segregate themselves from it.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Just to jump in here re vegetarianism and meeting goals - and I am speaking as a vegetarian and not a vegan. I have no problems hitting my macros at all and do not find it hard. I also do not think being a vegetarian has impeded my progress in my lifting. In fact, as I am a vegetarian that loves milk, it may well have helped my goals to a degree.